I have come to the conclusion that Survivor Queues are bad because Killers are BORED

Good, you clicked. Now hear out my crackpot theory.

Around two or three years ago, the queuing situation was the complete opposite. Survivor Queues were near instant and Killer queues were 15 minutes and longer. Today, it's the other way around, though not quite that bad yet (I get a game in like 5 minutes)

A lot of people are saying it's because so many people quit playing killer because it's too hard.

Not surprisingly, that's the same reasoning we gave 2 years ago when there weren't enough Survivors for all the killers to play against.

But here's the thing.

I am pretty sure, and most old timers will agree with me, that the game today is easier for killers compared to it was 2 years ago.

A lot of buffs and nerfs happened along the way, but it's hard to argue that the game is easier for survivors now than it was 2-3 years ago. A lot of people here seem to think otherwise, but that's almost entirely demonstrable to be false.

So why is it that the length of your queue is inversely proportional to how easy the game is for you?

My theory? Survivors and Killers get bored when the game is too easy, so they stop playing. It's the only reason I can think of why when the game was harder for killers, there were more killers playing, and now that the game is harder for survivors, there are more survivors playing.

Comments

  • @maderr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856703#Comment_1856703

    Do you troll me ? 🤣

    FEBRUARY 2020 is 2 years old for you ? Ok...

    I guess you have some problems to understand english.

    • On this thread, someone posted the SWF stats picture, on 1st page
    • It has been previously posted on the forum by a mod in Feb 2020

    Omg... i will stay polite but jeez...

    Righ click image.

    Reverse image search.

    First use of this Image: May third 2019 at 7:10:54 GMT.

  • I'm a solo player, I 99% only play survivor and I play at red ranks. My ques are not 15m, let alone 10m. I'd say a more accurate que time, at least for me, is around 4-7m.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856711#Comment_1856711

    Righ click image.

    Reverse image search.

    First use of this Image: May third 2019 at 7:10:54 GMT.

    I'm not using chrome so i can't do this.

    Tried on google reverse image but don't find the same image so i will believe you. Anyway, why would it change anything ? I don't expect the community behavior to change throughough the year.


    image.png

    As i have said, only mediocre killers are complaining. I'm an average one and i 3k most of the time in red rank.

  • @maderr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856675#Comment_1856675

    Yes, it is the global state of the game, for both sides i guess. But BHVR will never adress the issue and the game will die.

    As a survivor, seeing a 4k when the game was tense, fun with many mindgames etc, i have no problem with it.

    As a killer, seeing 4 escapes when the game was tense, fun with many mindgames etc, i have no problem with it.

    But at the moment, even when i pipe and get a win, i'm still frustrated as nothing is fun anymore, there is always something broken/unfair coming in the way. It's impossible to explain, but it's the way it is. You can win or loose, you will still be frustrated.

    I totally agree with you

  • @maderr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856724#Comment_1856724

    I'm not using chrome so i can't do this.

    Tried on google reverse image but don't find the same image so i will believe you. Anyway, why would it change anything ? I don't expect the community behavior to change throughough the year.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/C3O0DINMAT9M/image.png

    As i have said, only mediocre killers are complaining. I'm an average one and i 3k most of the time in red rank.

    Many things changed in the last year. I used to play both sides equally on red ranks. Now i prefer to play solo survivor, because it´s more relaxing.

    In regard of the screenshot. You might find this thread interesting: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/217051/guys-what-is-this-game-of-2-mins-and-26-seconds/p1

  • I do believe the survivor queue times has become longer it's because a) killers quitting the game and b) killers getting frustrated

    Sure, infinites were taken care of and it's great but on the other hand we have map reworks with 2 or 3 pallets closer in their tiles. Even a potato can run and loop through it. If you opt to break said pallet the survivor has more than enough time to get safe in the next pallet, if you don't break the pallet then you won't be able to reach said survivor. That without talking about the red stain that can be seen through objects wich makes mind games almost impossible. So yes, in some ways killer has become easier but in other killer has become harder... being able to fix the first gen in less than 20 seconds is insane, so many killers are opting for hard tunneling and hard camping, more than before, at least here I am noticing it and whether is not against the rules, still is frustrating as a solo.

  • My theory, is that towards rank 1, there are significantly more SWF groups using voice comms.

    The advantage of that to them is enormous, and oversteps many perks Killers can select.

    That bends the odds heavily in favor of Survivors, and especially vs weaker Killers.

    So the result is that the closer you get to rank 1, the less Killers there are playing that want to subject themselves to that disadvantage (and the toxic crap SWF get up to), and just dont play, thus skewing not onle the que times to find a Killer for a team, but also skewing the actual rank compositions of that match.

  • I think there’s a misconception here. The more the game gets popular, more people will play and we all know Survivor has always been more popular because of the SWF feature, since this is a multiplayer game and Killers play by themselves. Thus, increasing the survivor player base and the queue times altogether (though only at night, when people get back from work), cause during the day survivor queue times are instant.

  • @Seanzu said:

    My survivor queues are near instant all day up until night time and then the times even out, they're about 20 - 30 seconds at that time.

    If you play at a set specific time most days then you're always going to see the same "type of lobbies", if i played early morning where I am, my killer lobbies are always 4+ minutes and my survivor lobbies instant, if I play mid afternoon, both my survivor and killer lobbies can be either fast or slow, at night time, around 7+PM my killer lobbies are faster than my survivor ones but my survivor ones are by no means long.

    What part of the world do you live in? Because it is the exact opposite for us in North America

  • I've only been playing the game for a few months and can't understand how did people want to play as killer when infinite loops, op spear parts, vacuum pallets, etc existed. I would certainly have refunded the game that's for sure. I don't think most of the killers that stopped playing had stockolm syndrome.

  • I will give you the reason they are longer..people kept crossplay on til they found out basically It is for high ranking PC surviors to have new Console Killer meat to consume..After that a lot of people turned off crossplay...The wait maybe longer...But,It is better then having a match where you can't do jackshit...Nither Killers nor Survivors should be rank fodder for higher rank people.


    I don't wanna fight a bunch of browns If I am purple or red as a Killer..That is unsportmen

  • @Pulsar said:

    In my opinion, it's caused by the imbalanced difficulty of getting to Red Ranks.

    As Killer, unless you play Legion, it's fairly difficult to pip and get to Red Ranks. There is nothing to boost you and you have to be at least semi-competent to make it there and stay.

    As Survivor, it's extremely easy to pip, even as a Solo. You can be boosted by SWF (like me) and never de-rank even if you belong in Green Ranks.

    This causes a massive amount of Survivors in Red Ranks, but not a lot in Purple or below. This allows Killer queue's to skyrocket for those in those Ranks, but, it means that Red Ranked Killers will almost always have an instant game.

    Additionally, Red Ranked Survivors will face longer queue times, but Purple and below will generally have short queues.

    Just my opinion, based off Xbox NA Servers.

    I found to be the exact opposite. I got to red rank as killer 2 second week of game without even knowing that i could do a lunge attack or that i could use more charges of my chainsaw as bubba. As survivor i guess it's easy to pip up if you get carried by swf but since i play solo i've needed a lot more hours to learn how to loop.

  • @Speshul_Kitten said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856308#Comment_1856308

    What part of the world do you live in? Because it is the exact opposite for us in North America

    The UK, so the pools I match with is the entire EU, Russia & South Africa.

    https://youtu.be/Nb6T3jv6AKA I actually made a queue time video earlier bc someone told me that there is no debating survivor or killer queues as -without a doubt- killer queues are instant and survivors are long.

  • I think more than balance issues it might be dedicated servers. Some killers got hit VERY hard with the introduction of dedicated servers and players might have gotten frustated and just left. For example hag can't tp-hit anymore, the moment she tps the survivor is one sprintbust away from you already. With Ghostface you can't lean to corners without wasting time, with killers with precise shots (huntress, deathslinger, pyramid, plague) bullshit happens all the time and a single milisecond is often the difference between a hit or a miss.

  • 2 years ago it shifted back and forth fairly often based on a variety of different factors (new killer releases, devs make multiple changes to matchmaking, meta/perk changes). There wasn't a real consistent length of time where survivor queue or killer queue being super long.


    It's more telling that things aren't shifting anymore that Dbd has serious problems. With each killer that came out I expected that my survivor queue times would improve considerably for at least a week. Blight was the only killer that did that for like 3 days. The twins did nothing at all to queue times. The idea of mains have solidified so much that people aren't switching between roles much now.

  • @Shirokinukatsukami said:

    Speaking of console. Someone also made a post about crossplay.

    Is the reason we have so many survivors now because of the influx of crossplay survivors? I only play PC I don't play console DBD at all.

    Could be that's what I missed.

    There are many more players on Console, and most of them are Survivor, so it probably isn't helping the issue.

  • As a newer player to DBD (3 months), I had assumed the queues would be longer for survivors as:

    1) Each killer is unique unlike survivors which are just skins, so you have a greater variety of play styles as killers

    2) You need 4x the supply of people playing survivors to get a match going, so survivor count should be the bottleneck, all else equal

    3) I had assumed people would enjoy being a badass killer more than a defenseless survivor.

    At least in my experience, I've had the opposite with no killer queue and 5-10 min survivor queue. Kudos to Bhvr for somehow making >4x as many people want to play survivor than killer, which speaks to two potential reasons:

    1) Supply v Demand for killers. Simply put, more people want to be survivor for a variety of reasons (SWF, toxicity, etc)

    2) Matchmaking - The system is inefficiently matching players together resulting in unbalanced games for killers.

  • The fact it takes forever even if you queue with 4 people is why we know it's the killer count being low.

    My guess is that killers are simply afraid to queue up.

    They don't know which game is going to be the one they are going to be bullied; unlike survivor where it's like w/e I got facecamped next game, a killer being bullied is a long lasting and incredibly frustrating experience. One that turns people off the role immediately usually.

    So even if say, 4 games are fine win or lose it feels okay, no problem whatever.....that one match lingers with them far longer than the half a dozen or dozen or so normal matches; and so next day they are like "Should I play killer or go do ____ thing instead?" they often choose the latter.

    It's a problem caused by a broken matchmaker/ranking system primarily.

  • @Shirokinukatsukami said:

    Firstly, Survivors can play with friends. That alone makes nearly any game more "sticky". Killer is a strictly solo experience unless you have exactly 5 people and do a KYF.

    This is actually a very good point.

    I also get what you mean about the base perks on both sides. Killer definitely has a harder time gearing up for optimum builds.

    Are the majority of new killers really ending up against high rank survivors? That would definitely be a big turn off from the game. Low rank survivors going up against high rank kilelrs used to be very common but I havent been in low ranks since forever so I don't know what the matchmaking is like these days. I am a low rank killer right now, though, but I don't play much killer anymore and I haven't been going up against absurdly higher rank survivors surprisingly. They are within my skill level more or less and the matches are ok. I always thought the higher the killer rank goes the harder it gets, because now your'e going up against survivors who know what they're doing. At low rank killer is not so bad for me.

    I'm a beginner Killer (Rank 17) and yes, I'd say about 2/3rd of my games have at least 2 survivors in green/purple ranks and I've had about ... 15-20 where there were 3 red ranks and one brown.

    It's very disheartening and to be honest I wind up taking breaks from the game so I guess I'm not likely to rank up much but those games just aren't enjoyable. It's one thing to learn by facing more experienced people but when you get stomped flat you don't really learn anything. I have however learned that if one of the survivors has "TTV" in their name, I should not go to their channel and watch the match from their perspective. The insults and derogatory comments are unpleasant to say the least.

1 2 ›