Chapter 18 will be incomplete upon release...so why not delay it?

The PTB revealed some very glaring issues with the twins. Survivors could take Victor hostage, Victor couldn't interact with lockers, and charging Victor's attack slowed him down too much. These are all things that BHVR addressed that are being fixed in a future update, yet the chapter is still being pushed out come December 1st.

Why???

The chapter is incomplete. The whole reason why you have a PTB is so that gamers can test out the mechanics and bring to light any possible issues, bugs, or glitches. Kudos for listening to the community and acknowledging these issues and fixing them, but what point is there in rushing something out that you yourself acknowledged needs to be fixed?

It just all reeks of greed. There's zero incentive in rushing out a broken product unless all you care about is the money. Vote with your wallets fellow DBD players, and hold off on purchasing the twins until BHVR rightly fixes what they said they were going to fix. There's so much changing with the twins that it almost resembles a full-on rework, so there's no reason in purchasing this chapter on day one.

BHVR has a track record of releasing content and fixing known issues on the back end. As gamers we rightly call out AAA developers when they pull this kind of shady business practice, and we should be doing the same for indie developers too.

Comments

  • Honestly... Yeah. I have no idea why they just don't delay it. More people will buy the chapter if the killer is good on release, not a few weeks after. This is quite literally the fist chapter that I don't want to buy, at all, and probably won't until they make them better.

    It is good when a company delays things - it shows their customers that they care about the product. Not delaying it, only to apply a hotfix a few weeks in doesn't sit right with me.

  • What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

  • I understand why they won't delay it but I think they should let it be known when your buying the chapter that it's incomplete.

    Not everyone who plays this game is on the forums.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    Honestly... Yeah. I have no idea why they just don't delay it. More people will buy the chapter if the killer is good on release, not a few weeks after. This is quite literally the fist chapter that I don't want to buy, at all, and probably won't until they make them better.

    It is good when a company delays things - it shows their customers that they care about the product. Not delaying it, only to apply a hotfix a few weeks in doesn't sit right with me.

    Exactly. Delays suck, but it shows that you care about your product. CDPR delayed cyberpunk multiple times, but they wanted to be able to confidently say that the game you get your hands on will resemble the game that they had envisioned from day one. Whereas with BHVR, they acknowledge that the upcoming chapter is broken and that it needs fixing, but they're releasing it anyway. That tells me that you don't care about your product, let alone your community.

  • @TAG said:

    What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

    It's your money and you can rightly spend it how you see fit, but you realize that it's that kind of attitude that incentivizes publishers to push out games that are broken because they figure that gamers like yourself will be fine knowing that they'll just fix it on the back end. Remember Anthem?

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768741#Comment_1768741

    It's your money and you can rightly spend it how you see fit, but you realize that it's that kind of attitude that incentivizes publishers to push out games that are broken because they figure that gamers like yourself will be fine knowing that they'll just fix it on the back end. Remember Anthem?

    That doesn't answer my question.

  • Maybe if the perks weren’t trash tier I’d buy it with shards, but they are just so bad.

    No point in getting horrid perks and a half-@$$&# killer.

  • You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon". I don't know what answer you're looking for, but obviously I don't agree with your choice.

    Like I said it's your money. You're putting your faith in BHVR that they'll apply the update relatively quickly, but when was the last time BHVR did anything quickly? The MMR is supposedly a priority and they've been working on that for months.

    Simply put, I refuse to purchase something that even the developer acknowledged is broken and needs to be changed. It makes zero sense for them to release this to market.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768771#Comment_1768771

    You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon". I don't know what answer you're looking for, but obviously I don't agree with your choice.

    Like I said it's your money. You're putting your faith in BHVR that they'll apply the update relatively quickly, but when was the last time BHVR did anything quickly? The MMR is supposedly a priority and they've been working on that for months.

    Simply put, I refuse to purchase something that even the developer acknowledged is broken and needs to be changed. It makes zero sense for them to release this to market.

    You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon".

    I most certainly did not.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768791#Comment_1768791

    You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon".

    I most certainly did not.

    All right I see what's going on. You don't want to have a conversation? Fine, but I'm not responding to these short troll sentences.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768793#Comment_1768793

    All right I see what's going on. You don't want to have a conversation? Fine, but I'm not responding to these short troll sentences.

    Excuse me? I did not say in my original post that I have no problem in purchasing the next chapter as-is. I asked what the difference was between the balance changes stated by the devs being pushed with the live release of the Chapter and pushing it out a little bit later.

  • I'm fine with the mechanics being there and lack of animation but no mechanic I know the gate thing is big but lockers are more common and I really hope that the mechanic are available upon release because animations can be done after but who's gonna buy something that doesn't work properly

  • New killer does look boring but I'm buying dlc anyways.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    The PTB revealed some very glaring issues with the twins. Survivors could take Victor hostage, Victor couldn't interact with lockers, and charging Victor's attack slowed him down too much. These are all things that BHVR addressed that are being fixed in a future update, yet the chapter is still being pushed out come December 1st.

    Why???

    The chapter is incomplete. The whole reason why you have a PTB is so that gamers can test out the mechanics and bring to light any possible issues, bugs, or glitches. Kudos for listening to the community and acknowledging these issues and fixing them, but what point is there in rushing something out that you yourself acknowledged needs to be fixed?

    It just all reeks of greed. There's zero incentive in rushing out a broken product unless all you care about is the money. Vote with your wallets fellow DBD players, and hold off on purchasing the twins until BHVR rightly fixes what they said they were going to fix. There's so much changing with the twins that it almost resembles a full-on rework, so there's no reason in purchasing this chapter on day one.

    BHVR has a track record of releasing content and fixing known issues on the back end. As gamers we rightly call out AAA developers when they pull this kind of shady business practice, and we should be doing the same for indie developers too.

    Don't buy until gets fixed then. Is that simple. A lot of players don't know or care about it.

  • I love that they made a clear point that the release date can be subject to change and it's confirmed, yet they still decide to release a killer with a power that doesn't work.

  • I'm pretty sure they are following a roadmap internally, but I hope it gets delayed because the recent changes they wanna add are not enough, especially 45s to recall victor

  • Money. If they delay it then that delays the profits from the chapter which would probably piss off the people at the top in Behaviour. What they’re doing is a bit scummy but I have a feeling it’s not the Dev’s choice.

  • Why exactly is it incomplete though?

    just because they announced changes based on PTB feedback that they want to add to the killer and those changes may take some time because they were not intended before?


    edit: have they actually confirmed Dec 1st to be the release date now?

  • Probably because they're trying to rush the new maps and the killer so they can see their performance live

  • @onemind said:

    I'm fine with the mechanics being there and lack of animation but no mechanic I know the gate thing is big but lockers are more common and I really hope that the mechanic are available upon release because animations can be done after but who's gonna buy something that doesn't work properly

    Both the locker and the taking Victor hostage issue are two of the biggest problems with this killer. I'm glad it's being fixed, but why rush something to release that's just going to change drastically in the future? It doesn't make any sense.

  • @Mooks said:

    Why exactly is it incomplete though?

    just because they announced changes based on PTB feedback that they want to add to the killer and those changes may take some time because they were not intended before?

    edit: have they actually confirmed Dec 1st to be the release date now?

    The PTB is basically used as quality testing since they clearly don't heavily test their game in-house. The changes coming with the new killer resembles a full-on rework. If it was just a few bugs that needed ironing out then I could see them still releasing the chapter (it would be annoying, but I would understand).

    There were multiple leaks that revealed that the new chapter will be released December 1st. Obviously plans could change and I hope it does, but next Tuesday will have been roughly a month since the PTB ended, so time-wise there's no reason for the leaks to not be true.

  • @RoboMojo said:

    Money. If they delay it then that delays the profits from the chapter which would probably piss off the people at the top in Behaviour. What they’re doing is a bit scummy but I have a feeling it’s not the Dev’s choice.

    They benefit more from cosmetics, most of us get the chapter for shards and let's not forget that even if someone get the chapter for money is cheaper than a cosmetic (nosense)

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    While it’s annoying that lockers counter Victor and will for a short while after release, the other issues they’ve patched up in the mean time are more then enough for me to purchase The Twins. I had a lot of fun with them on the PTB and the changes that are going live are more than enough for me currently. I’m not going to sit here and lie and say “BHVR bad, they released an unfinished product” (which it isn’t, because it’s not like they’ve pulled the rug out from under us and thrown us incomplete garbage, the Killer is solid already and they’ve let us know about the situation) because it’s not unfinished. The Killer works, and the changes they need have been announced and are coming very soon.

    But you see that's the thing, some people are counting on these fixes coming soon, but when has BHVR ever done anything soon? Keep in mind that the MMR is a priority and yet BHVR has been working on this for months. The recent perk changes were originally announced at the beginning of the year, and yet only recently did we see that change.

    If BHVR could give an actual date then that would be one thing, but right now all they keep saying is "future" and "tentative", because we'll be lucky if we see these changes in the mid chapter update.

  • probably the reason is that the fix is not “that” soon, and new content needs to come out for the seasonality of the player base.

    Considering that we are still waiting for a fix to blight POV after 4 months, it’s impossible to know how long the locker’s animations will take.

  • @KateDunson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769821#Comment_1769821

    They benefit more from cosmetics, most of us get the chapter for shards and let's not forget that even if someone get the chapter for money is cheaper than a cosmetic (nosense)

    Yeah I'll never understand why the cosmetics are almost double the price of what the DLC usually is. I'll also never understand why some of the more nicer cosmetics aren't included in the battle passes. That would incentivize me to purchase a battle pass more since I have no desire to spend $15 on a skin.

  • I think only the locker interaction won't be there on release, all the other changes will.

  • @CLAUDETTEINABUSH said:

    Probably because they're trying to rush the new maps and the killer so they can see their performance live

    Probably. Yes BHVR will see the number of players rise, but everybody will be playing a Killer that is not only frustrating to play, but it won't resemble what the killer will be in the future. All BHVR is going to do is succeed at more and more gamers complaining about this killer. If they thought gamers' voices were loud after the PTB, then BHVR is in for a rude awakening if they push this out next week.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I think only the locker interaction won't be there on release, all the other changes will.

    The problem is now everyone that didn't already know about that MASSIVE design oversight now knows. And its already easy enough to tell if Victors near. Hear weird gurgles? Run and jump in a locker. Safe. If it isn't included in some form. Even with missing assets. This will be the most botched killer launch since Freddy.


    This'll be the first chapter I'm not buying at launch. It's clearly half-baked and after Blight this is shocking to see. Still doesn't even have an original map, even with existing realm assets.

    This will be the first time EVER I haven't bought the chapter pack day 1. And my first time buying a character with shards.

    Maybe I'll get Elodie with shards but not even bothering with the Twins.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I think only the locker interaction won't be there on release, all the other changes will.

    That's great, but that locker change resembles one of the more glaring issues with the Twins. Until that change is implemented, all anyone has to do is jump into a locker and be perfectly safe from Victor.

    I'd much rather have all of these glaring issues fixed first before purchasing this DLC. If that means waiting a few weeks or a few months (this is BHVR we're talking about here so most likely it's going to take months) then so be it.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768793#Comment_1768793

    All right I see what's going on. You don't want to have a conversation? Fine, but I'm not responding to these short troll sentences.

    But that's not what they said, they said:

    What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

    They're basically saying there's nothing to worry about because these changes will eventually come through. Until then, you can either play a different killer or just be patient.

  • @gibblywibblywoo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769896#Comment_1769896

    The problem is now everyone that didn't already know about that MASSIVE design oversight now knows. And its already easy enough to tell if Victors near. Hear weird gurgles? Run and jump in a locker. Safe. If it isn't included in some form. Even with missing assets. This will be the most botched killer launch since Freddy.

    This'll be the first chapter I'm not buying at launch. It's clearly half-baked and after Blight this is shocking to see. Still doesn't even have an original map, even with existing realm assets.

    This will be the first time EVER I haven't bought the chapter pack day 1. And my first time buying a character with shards.

    Maybe I'll get Elodie with shards but not even bothering with the Twins.

    Yeah the Blight was another example of a botched experiment/release. For starters the devs had made changes to how the Blight played, but those changes were never implemented into the PTB. Gamers couldn't accurately give constructive feedback since they didn't have access to the same build that the devs did. Plus it was recently announced that the Blight's POV will be changing. Obviously this is great news for those that play the Blight, but this is something that should have been fixed prior to release.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769904#Comment_1769904

    Yeah the Blight was another example of a botched experiment/release. For starters the devs had made changes to how the Blight played, but those changes were never implemented into the PTB. Gamers couldn't accurately give constructive feedback since they didn't have access to the same build that the devs did. Plus it was recently announced that the Blight's POV will be changing. Obviously this is great news for those that play the Blight, but this is something that should have been fixed prior to release.

    I think the PTB thing was when Mcclean simply said something along the lines of the Blight in the PTB was "different" to the one he'd been tinkering with that week of the PTB. It was miscontrued iirc. People thought they had launched a weeks old version.

    But yeah the POV thing bothered me. It's getting fixed though. And he's still both fun and a threat even without it.

  • @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768800#Comment_1768800

    But that's not what they said, they said:

    What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?

    They're basically saying there's nothing to worry about because these changes will eventually come through. Until then, you can either play a different killer or just be patient.

    This is the last thing I'll say on this matter because I don't want this conversation piece to turn into pointless trolling or arguing, but the point this person was trying to make is that you might as well purchase the chapter because the changes will come soon. Having faith that those changes will come soon is something that I'm not comfortable doing, and spending money on a killer that will receive a full-on rework at a later date is something I'm not prepared to give.

  • @KateDunson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769821#Comment_1769821

    They benefit more from cosmetics, most of us get the chapter for shards and let's not forget that even if someone get the chapter for money is cheaper than a cosmetic (nosense)

    Would be interesting to see stats on how many but with shards and how many buy with money.

    Does the average DBD players earn enough ingame to buy all DLC`s like that? I would guess no.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769932#Comment_1769932

    This is the last thing I'll say on this matter because I don't want this conversation piece to turn into pointless trolling or arguing, but the point this person was trying to make is that you might as well purchase the chapter because the changes will come soon. Having faith that those changes will come soon is something that I'm not comfortable doing, and spending money on a killer that will receive a full-on rework at a later date is something I'm not prepared to give.

    I was actually willing to discuss it until you indirectly accused me of trolling.... so thanks for that

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769872#Comment_1769872

    From my time here in the last 3 years, BHVR are pretty wildly unpredictable. They make promises and never fulfil them, they say they’re going to do something and then immediately follow it up with actually doing it, shocking us in the process (Hillbilly getting adjusted and listening to community feedback, even going as far as to re-adjust his newly reworked add-ons again). They release a patch full of bugs, then the next one barely has any. They nerf a perk that no one asked to be nerfed (discordance) and then revert it due to community feedback and actually make it stronger than it originally was.

    Basically, they are unpredictable, but when they word posts the way they did with the PTB to Live changes, I’m inclined to trust them. I’m not entirely holding my breath though. If I’m wrong then fine, but even the PTB version of The Twins I was having fun with. Holding Victor hostage and survivors using tight objects to avoid him were my biggest gripes more than the lockers so if they release with just those fixes for now, I’m happy. Are others happy about that? Clearly not, but if a change isn’t ready yet but the Killer is still very much playable and useable, then they may as well release it. The locker counter is annoying, but it does not render them unplayable. A good survivor taking Victor hostage however, did make them almost unplayable and turned them into an M1 Killer, that issue has been addressed.

    That's fair. Obviously we'll have to wait and see exactly what changes were implemented once the chapter goes live, but like you said there were issues with the Killer that some found more annoying than others. You're able to look past the locker issue whereas some clearly can not. For me I prefer all issues to be rectified before putting any money down.

    Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and when I spend my money on something I expect it to work properly from day one, not weeks or months from now. Not saying you're wrong, this is just who I am.

  • Gotta get that money for dlc and cosmetics. Same reason as always

  • @gibblywibblywoo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769940#Comment_1769940

    I think the PTB thing was when Mcclean simply said something along the lines of the Blight in the PTB was "different" to the one he'd been tinkering with that week of the PTB. It was miscontrued iirc. People thought they had launched a weeks old version.

    But yeah the POV thing bothered me. It's getting fixed though. And he's still both fun and a threat even without it.

    Its not getting Fully fixed.. Ges fow will be fixed only when you carry survivor which once again like why bhvr.. So no its not fixed...

  • No point to buy this DLC with money like why? Im ňoy gonna support their greediness and incompetence once again.. And you shoudlnt either...

  • @Biggs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1769943#Comment_1769943

    Its not getting Fully fixed.. Ges fow will be fixed only when you carry survivor which once again like why bhvr.. So no its not fixed...

    You may have misread a thread that was on here a day or so ago. Currently his fov IS fixed when carrying a survivor. They're reworking all his animations to be like that.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    The PTB revealed some very glaring issues with the twins. Survivors could take Victor hostage, Victor couldn't interact with lockers, and charging Victor's attack slowed him down too much. These are all things that BHVR addressed that are being fixed in a future update, yet the chapter is still being pushed out come December 1st.

    Why???

    The chapter is incomplete. The whole reason why you have a PTB is so that gamers can test out the mechanics and bring to light any possible issues, bugs, or glitches. Kudos for listening to the community and acknowledging these issues and fixing them, but what point is there in rushing something out that you yourself acknowledged needs to be fixed?

    It just all reeks of greed. There's zero incentive in rushing out a broken product unless all you care about is the money. Vote with your wallets fellow DBD players, and hold off on purchasing the twins until BHVR rightly fixes what they said they were going to fix. There's so much changing with the twins that it almost resembles a full-on rework, so there's no reason in purchasing this chapter on day one.

    BHVR has a track record of releasing content and fixing known issues on the back end. As gamers we rightly call out AAA developers when they pull this kind of shady business practice, and we should be doing the same for indie developers too.

    Don't be so quick to assign malice. Games of dbd's size and platform base require very hard deadlines from big publishers.

    Likely, they're unable to delay because they're locked into timelines with Sony or Microsoft, etc, that would require a very long reset time.

    It's the reason we get Day 1 patches on basically every game now, they get the ready-to-publish game approved by the big platform holders weeks or months ahead of time and often a giant like Sony doesn't care about individual companies, they want all partners to hold to guidelines. Which sometimes means no changes X amount of time before launch date.

    So, I wouldn't be so quick to call the devs greedy. After all, if they want to play in the big boys' sandbox they have to play by their rules.

    Also, guys...this is a business. They don't make dbd for fun. If there is no financial incentive the devs who make the game we all play for hours a week, they stop. They have to eat. They have to live.

    They're people, think about that before youre so vitriolic. It's unbecoming of the whole community.


    Edit: forgot an important sentence, lol.

  • And, of course, by all means if you're not happy with a product don't buy it.

    But let's not crucify people just trying to do their job because they fudge up. It's literally a luxury service.

    It'll get sorted.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768791#Comment_1768791

    You stated that you have no problem in purchasing the next chapter because you assume that it will be fixed "presumably soon".

    I most certainly did not.

    you literally did: "What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?"

  • Simple. The timing of the remaining balance changes are not impacted by if the chapter is out or not when they work on those changes. Either way the "complete" Killer will come out on the same day.

    So. Is it bad for them to let you play a Killer before it's full release?

    Because the alternative to that is not even having the option of playing the new Killer until however long it takes them to add in the changes they were going to add anyways.

    Trust matters a lot from your PoV. But you aren't the one making the decision, BHVR is. And BHVR can 100% trust itself. If you don't want to play the Killer early then just wait to buy her. Those that are buying her are opting in. Why deny those players the option to play the new Killer just because she's not quite as strong as she should be?

  • This is what @TAG is trying to say when they say it doesn't matter.

    Not delaying a game to improve it when the plan is to release it and move on matters, since the game will be bad forever as a result.

    But not delaying something because the problem will be fixed either way just makes sense. It's what no mans sky did and they didn't even have significant financial incentive to do that.

    Either way there is some specific but unknown date at which the Killer will be in it's proper state, the only difference is if she is playable prior to that date, and there simply isn't a downside to letting her be.

  • @Felnex said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1768793#Comment_1768793

    you literally did: "What difference does it make if the balance changes are going to come through presumably soon after anyways?"

    I am asking what difference it makes if the balance changes happen shortly after the live release. It is not a rhetorical question.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1771139#Comment_1771139

    I am asking what difference it makes if the balance changes happen shortly after the live release. It is not a rhetorical question.

    that question is based on an assumption

‹ 1 2