Make snow work as it does in real life

I think that snow should work in the same way as in real life, by that I mean that you can fall when you run and both killer and survivors run slower in the snow. Let's start a discussion!

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Somehow you’ve made Ormond sound worst than it is already.

  • Falling while running is actually something I could see as some kind of new mechanic for this game, not just for snow. Tripping on roots or other stuff.

    this is after all an iconic horror genre trope^^

  • @NoOneKnowsNova said:

    Somehow you’ve made Ormond sound worst than it is already.

    Have you ever heard of a video game genre called "Horror"? 😗

  • @Mooks said:

    Falling while running is actually something I could see as some kind of new mechanic for this game, not just for snow. Tripping on roots or other stuff.

    this is after all an iconic horror genre trope^^

    I actually agree that being able to fall on every type of map would be better, but I thought everybody would be against it lol

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737639#Comment_1737639

    Have you ever heard of a video game genre called "Horror"? 😗

    I have! Although calling this game a horror is a bit of a stretch after you’ve played it for 700 hours.

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737641#Comment_1737641

    I actually agree that being able to fall on every type of map would be better, but I thought everybody would be against it lol

    Almost everybody is against it 😅

  • And give the snow the squashing sound effect as you move over it.

    Im really hoping that the Ormond map will have the lighting completely changed.. Make it darker but somewhat lit up from the snow

  • @Mooks said:

    Falling while running is actually something I could see as some kind of new mechanic for this game, not just for snow. Tripping on roots or other stuff.

    this is after all an iconic horror genre trope^^

    Oh you mean the iconic 'stumble over a pebble'. Yeah, it could work like some sort of stamina. But not necessary. The problem aren't chases, it's gen speeds. So adding some secondary Objective or an Early Game slowdown mechanic would make the game pretty balanced.

    I think the game is pretty balanced with a few exceptions. It's the bugs, some abusable Perkd/Items and Mechanics which make it frustrating at some point.

  • Well not to that extreme, but i would like to hear the soft crushing sound of snow under each footstep.

  • better snow design and its be so noice if there would be a wind sound ingame

  • @Boss said:

    Well not to that extreme, but i would like to hear the soft crushing sound of snow under each footstep.

    Why not? It's popular in horror games? Why not make chases scarier?

  • I will only let this happen IF






    Ormond has yellow snow

  • @MrDardon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737641#Comment_1737641

    Oh you mean the iconic 'stumble over a pebble'. Yeah, it could work like some sort of stamina. But not necessary. The problem aren't chases, it's gen speeds. So adding some secondary Objective or an Early Game slowdown mechanic would make the game pretty balanced.

    I think the game is pretty balanced with a few exceptions. It's the bugs, some abusable Perkd/Items and Mechanics which make it frustrating at some point.

    I am not talking strictly about how to perfectly balance the game. The stumble mechanic would be a reason to actually try to end the chase for the survivor and not play with the killer. Just design-wise I think survivors should be more scared of chases and it should be the goal to eventually end the chase and not prolong it.

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737675#Comment_1737675

    Why not? It's popular in horror games? Why not make chases scarier?

    No one likes a chase ending because of a random thing happening.

    Even if the RNG would be in your favor, you know it could've happened just as easily to you.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737672#Comment_1737672

    I am not talking strictly about how to perfectly balance the game. The stumble mechanic would be a reason to actually try to end the chase for the survivor and not play with the killer. Just design-wise I think survivors should be more scared of chases and it should be the goal to eventually end the chase and not prolong it.

    100% Agree

  • Are the snow footsteps new? Or did I just never notice them before.

  • Give Backwater Swamp more swampiness

    ...it’s Soo dry

  • @Mooks said:

    Falling while running is actually something I could see as some kind of new mechanic for this game, not just for snow. Tripping on roots or other stuff.

    this is after all an iconic horror genre trope^^

    I'd rather not relive that part of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

  • @Mooks said:

    Falling while running is actually something I could see as some kind of new mechanic for this game, not just for snow. Tripping on roots or other stuff.

    this is after all an iconic horror genre trope^^

    I'd rather not relive that part of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

  • @Xyvielia said:

    Give Backwater Swamp more swampiness

    ...it’s Soo dry

    That map is SO boring to play in, that's probably one of the maps that I am most happy about getting reworked visually.

  • @Xyvielia said:

    Give Backwater Swamp more swampiness

    ...it’s Soo dry

    Yeah. I like the concept of the map but it is just lacking! Give me a swampy swamp!


    @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737641#Comment_1737641

    I'd rather not relive that part of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

    never played that, but I heard about it and it sounds terrible for such a game! I guess it would fit better to DbD than Smash Bros.

  • Ewww no. Tripping over because of RNG in a game that's already pretty rng heavy is a big no-no imo. I'd rather my not lose to something that's completely out of my control and happens at random because my character thought it was a good time to suddenly trip over and lose the chase for me with no input from me or the killer. Consistency is always more appreciated in almost any game, because RNG gimmicks like tripping very quickly go from funny to extremely tedious (*COUGH* SMASH BRAWL *COUGH*)

  • @ALostPuppy said:

    Ewww no. Tripping over because of RNG in a game that's already pretty rng heavy is a big no-no imo. I'd rather my not lose to something that's completely out of my control and happens at random because my character thought it was a good time to suddenly trip over and lose the chase for me with no input from me or the killer. Consistency is always more appreciated in almost any game, because RNG gimmicks like tripping very quickly go from funny to extremely tedious (*COUGH* SMASH BRAWL *COUGH*)

    there could be ways to make it not too rng heavy: snow and roots that are visible for example, so it would depend on your input and it’s avoidable but can be placed to make strong loops less strong? Or make it so it only happens after the chase goes on for a definitive time span so you can abandon the chase before eng can kick in..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1738224#Comment_1738224

    there could be ways to make it not too rng heavy: snow and roots that are visible for example, so it would depend on your input and it’s avoidable but can be placed to make strong loops less strong? Or make it so it only happens after the chase goes on for a definitive time span so you can abandon the chase before eng can kick in..

    If you wanted to have hazards on maps like that, that could be a cool idea. Some patches of areas on the swamp could be quite deep and slow you and the killer down (slow the survivors slightly more obviously) but there would be a decent pallet at this location. Or you get caught in thorns or something and you're slowed down a tiny bit (I'm talking maybe 5 to 7 percent at most. Nothing crazy but also not insignificant)

  • @ALostPuppy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1738249#Comment_1738249

    If you wanted to have hazards on maps like that, that could be a cool idea. Some patches of areas on the swamp could be quite deep and slow you and the killer down (slow the survivors slightly more obviously) but there would be a decent pallet at this location. Or you get caught in thorns or something and you're slowed down a tiny bit (I'm talking maybe 5 to 7 percent at most. Nothing crazy but also not insignificant)

    You're saying you don't want more RNG in the game and you just came up with an idea WITH RNG?

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1738258#Comment_1738258

    You're saying you don't want more RNG in the game and you just came up with an idea WITH RNG?

    To be fair, those are 2 different kind of RNGs, one is completely random (my suggestion) and one is pretty much rng in map generation just like pallets and windows..

  • @MrDardon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737641#Comment_1737641

    Oh you mean the iconic 'stumble over a pebble'. Yeah, it could work like some sort of stamina. But not necessary. The problem aren't chases, it's gen speeds. So adding some secondary Objective or an Early Game slowdown mechanic would make the game pretty balanced.

    I think the game is pretty balanced with a few exceptions. It's the bugs, some abusable Perkd/Items and Mechanics which make it frustrating at some point.

    This was done in f13. It worked fine there because a) a stamina mechanic, and b) Survivors were faster than the killer. This, you may notice, is the opposite of how dbd works.

  • and while they are at it, make the game's graphics like they are in real life, boom, ez photorealsm