In Regards to Negativity in the Community

So, I'll start this off by saying I'm 19, and I'm very new to games and, y'know, life. I haven't had it very easy in life and have always looked towards the positives, and I have noticed so much negativity in the world and especially in video games. This community has people getting mad over basic perks, people playing in order to provoke others, and the forums having lots of less than civil debates. I know that every game has people who use homophobic, racist, offensive slurs, but my goodness it doesn't make it okay. I don't care if this post is closed or I get banned for this, because I will always advocate for being a decent human being. There is a person on the other side of the screen. So many people play this game, all with varying identities and backgrounds who play a game to escape reality or just have fun, and I'm disgusted by the negative and offensive comments I see pertaining to said identities. Call me any name you want, tell me all the games that have this happen, etc. but what's your argument? Excusing disgusting behavior or ignoring it? I like bringing joy and fun to the forums, but I have seen an endless stream of 'I hate players who use [character/perk/item]' or 'People who play like this suck' and it just adds fuel to the fire. I think what really tipped me off recently was in regards to Freddy's backstory and a user saying that we should feel bad for OP not liking a horrific fact of life in an 18+ game. Have some sympathy ffs, I usually put a smiley face or exclamation points in my posts but I'm really, truly disgusted by this mentality. Empathy should be a normal response to things like that whether it's in a game or in the real world. I also am not making this post based off of one comment from recent memory, because I've encountered this stuff in every game and I'm probably just screaming into the void, but I'd rather get this off my chest. If you read this far, thank you for coming to my TED Talk on respecting others lol

Comments

  • As the saying goes "Treat others the way you want to be treated".

    Personally I think people just have to take things less seriously. Words mean nothing on online games.

  • @CashelP14 said:

    As the saying goes "Treat others the way you want to be treated".

    Personally I think people just have to take things less seriously. Words mean nothing on online games.

    Yeah, I'm cool with being called a cuss word, but it's when it has to do with my identity that I feel personally ashamed and upset. I like to be lowkey and just have fun, but I won't excuse racism, homophobia, and other slurs of the like.

  • @megswifey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1738627#Comment_1738627

    Yeah, I'm cool with being called a cuss word, but it's when it has to do with my identity that I feel personally ashamed and upset. I like to be lowkey and just have fun, but I won't excuse racism, homophobia, and other slurs of the like.

    Never should. Just always laugh it off mate.

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    Sorry man, its unfortunate how much people can ruin a good thing. Sometimes people just suck, but if it makes you feel better. There are some really, really good people here. Stick it out, and you will meet some of these people, I promise you. Hang in there man, regardless of whether your still part of this community.

    They allow you guys to post on the internet from the containment cells? :P

  • @LuffyBlack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1737960#Comment_1737960

    They allow you guys to post on the internet from the containment cells? :P

    Shhhhhh, I swiped a keycard. They don't know

  • @itsaconehead said:

    I've been gaming since I can remember, I'm 22 now. It's always been a thing when it shouldn't be, I remember in school when the boys would talk about gaming and lil 5 year old me being a girl was excited to make friends, they laughed and told me I probably played Barbie games. Even in single player games like Detroit become human, wolf among us, TWD have negativity in their communities which doesn't even make sense for a game based on its story, but there it is; judged on the choices you make in game. There's a cycle of toxicity in gaming and it's sad, maybe it'll break but I doubt it, for now I hope you have a good day and keep your head up.

    I'm a dinosaur. I was here for the dawn of online pvp. While there's always been trolls, and at the risk of coming across as boomer, this is definitely a more modern thing. The old pvp crowd in the days of shadowbane, Ultima online, etc... They would do a lot of trash talking on the forums, they would go online and try their damndest to burn each other's cities to the ground, and then they'd go back on the forums to gloat a bit about it. 9 times out of 10, they'd also be in their opponents' TeamSpeak or private forums congratulating them on a hard fought battle, talking about what caught them by surprise, and how much fun they had, at the same time they were writing trash talking forum posts.

    The crap we have today is a mix of bitter care bears upset at getting beat in a pvp game that 100% advertises itself as pvp, and petty, small-minded folks who cannot get off unless they are literally making someone miserable. The stuff you see thrown around in multi-player games today would've had you kicked out of your own gaming group in the early days, even the ones who nolifed pvp to the point of utterly eliminating all competition on their servers. Personal attacks were largely no-go, unless someone was just a flagrant ahole in public constantly.

    Gaming has changed a lot over the last few decades, a lot of it for the better. Gamers have also changed a lot in the last few decades, and a lot of it for the worse.

  • @Jyn_Mojito said:

    *giving you big hugs thru the ether*

    I feel for you, sometimes ppl have valid opinions and have no idea how to convey it in a non-inlammatory way. And some just have no clue how to read a room. All I can suggest is curating YOUR experience within the community. If something hurts you, or upsets you, by all means say something. But you can also be free to ignore and nope out of every convo/post that brings you down. Only you can decide ❀

    Where did you get that white heart emoji? πŸ‘οΈπŸ‘„πŸ‘οΈ

  • @GrimmReaper said:

    The problem is once the cycle of toxicity begins, it becomes borderline impossible to stop. Most of the time people are toxic because they themselves have been treated that way. It's like a plague that spreads.

    It's impossible to help everyone not go down that path. The best thing you can do is stop yourself from going down that road and pray that just like toxicity, your positivity will spread. For some, it's easier just to give in than follow the hard path. For those people we don't react with toxicity. We move on and try to understand that there's a reason they are acting that way. Not excuse them for their behaviour, but just understand there's most likely a reason they're acting like an ass hat. And remember one thing, we've all most likely fallen down that rabbit hole before.

    This

    Chances are 90% of those games where you get tunneled and ebony mori'd two minutes in were because the killer had a really tilting game or trolling SWF last game and is taking out some rage on other players who did no wrong.

    Who in turn bring a BNP or Instaheal and DS/Unbreakable next game because they're sick of this happening.

    Heck, I used to do this myself until I saw a video about it and realised how dumb it is.

    I still play to win but I don't go out of my way to ruin someones experience (even if it feels like some survivors are getting off doing it to me sometimes). My golden rule is that as long as the player hasn't sandbagged teammates/farmed teammates/ or done something blatantly trying to troll me I'll never hook them twice in a row.

  • I joined the forums to have decent arguments but most people here don't want to actually have arguments for the most part is "I can't be wrong so you are wrong".

    I can name about 8 guys/gals in here who actually have great arguments and have opened my eyes in certain ways.

    Also it seems that people forget a few things you mentioned, 1. There is someone behind the monitor and 2. A simple thing that every human should have which is empathy.

    I guess the way we were raised it was different, this is probably unrelated but I'm 24, I started smoking when I was 15 when my mom found out that I smoke she well did what most moms would do which was slap me and made me eat a cig (no joke and I don't hate her nor hold grudges) but after seeing a coworker how they treat his son (his son smokes) he told me that when he was a kid, adults weren't supposed to see kids smoking and kids talked to adults as if they were friends they could and would either slap you or scold you.

    It was an unrelated story but most of the time you can see that not to be offensive but some people really had a very bad childhood or parents that didn't cared for them enough to teach them the basics of empathy and stuff like that.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    Anonymity means not being held accountable. And based on evidence surrounding us, people don't hold themselves accountable either. Which is wierd for me especially, since I have no conscience, guilt or empathy and yet I still try to be as civil and caring as I can. I don't always get it right, but I'm always trying. And if a psychopath can do that, why can't everyone else?

    And if people are being bigoted toward you, I am so sorry. It's the reason I stopped playing shooters - sucking at them while calling out bigotry? Yeah, there's a reason I mostly play single player RPG titles. But if anyone's been making you feel unwelcome, then please know that some of us genuinely don't care about gender, culture, sexuality, or even how feminine/masculine you are.

    That's interesting. It isn't often I meet others with personality disorders only for me it's different. I have borderline personality disorder. Definitely stigmatized with movies like Fatal Attraction or the yandere archetype in anime 🀣That crap is only half true. πŸ”ͺ

    Not being wired like others definitely tends to suck.

  • The truth is, dbd isn't the game w the most toxic community.


    Raging gamers are everywhere.


    It just so happens that this game has a lot of entitled ppl who believe they deserved something and confusing killing and being nice.

  • @LuffyBlack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1736508#Comment_1736508

    That's interesting. It isn't often I meet others with personality disorders only for me it's different. I have borderline personality disorder. Definitely stigmatized with movies like Fatal Attraction or the yandere archetype in anime 🀣That crap is only half true. πŸ”ͺ

    Not being wired like others definitely tends to suck.

    Yeah. But it's got it's perks, or at least for me it does. Helps that I remember being relatively normal, if that term even exists. Maybe it's why I like to be kind even if I don't get the twisted gut feeling when I'm not.

  • @finitethrills said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1736310#Comment_1736310

    I'm a dinosaur. I was here for the dawn of online pvp. While there's always been trolls, and at the risk of coming across as boomer, this is definitely a more modern thing. The old pvp crowd in the days of shadowbane, Ultima online, etc... They would do a lot of trash talking on the forums, they would go online and try their damndest to burn each other's cities to the ground, and then they'd go back on the forums to gloat a bit about it. 9 times out of 10, they'd also be in their opponents' TeamSpeak or private forums congratulating them on a hard fought battle, talking about what caught them by surprise, and how much fun they had, at the same time they were writing trash talking forum posts.

    The crap we have today is a mix of bitter care bears upset at getting beat in a pvp game that 100% advertises itself as pvp, and petty, small-minded folks who cannot get off unless they are literally making someone miserable. The stuff you see thrown around in multi-player games today would've had you kicked out of your own gaming group in the early days, even the ones who nolifed pvp to the point of utterly eliminating all competition on their servers. Personal attacks were largely no-go, unless someone was just a flagrant ahole in public constantly.

    Gaming has changed a lot over the last few decades, a lot of it for the better. Gamers have also changed a lot in the last few decades, and a lot of it for the worse.

    Nah, me and you share the same views here. I mean sure, I got the whole "girls don't play video games!" When I was a kid, but it wasn't like it is now. I was a kid when Halo got popular and even then people laughed with each other over losing. Now, my fiancΓ©e can't play the likes of COD without some 12 year old screaming that he beat a girl in a game.

  • @kaeru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1736293#Comment_1736293

    Where did you get that white heart emoji? πŸ‘οΈπŸ‘„πŸ‘οΈ

    Lmao, it pains me to say I'm not up to speed on my emoji speak, so I had to Google what a white heart means 🀣

    You are a sweetheart and I learned something new today πŸ’›

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1739605#Comment_1739605

    Yeah. But it's got it's perks, or at least for me it does. Helps that I remember being relatively normal, if that term even exists. Maybe it's why I like to be kind even if I don't get the twisted gut feeling when I'm not.

    I don't mean to intervene here, but I am super emotional and sensitive to everything. Just last night I cried over an oreo commercial because a stuffed animal wanted to eat oreos and I couldn't handle it lol! I developed it through severe anxiety and get embarrassed sometimes, but I have been told by my friends that I have developed a sixth sense for when they need help or are upset. Also, the way you described the twisted gut feeling is kinda cool, I usually get butterflies or blush a lot from joy!

  • @megswifey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1739630#Comment_1739630

    I don't mean to intervene here, but I am super emotional and sensitive to everything. Just last night I cried over an oreo commercial because a stuffed animal wanted to eat oreos and I couldn't handle it lol! I developed it through severe anxiety and get embarrassed sometimes, but I have been told by my friends that I have developed a sixth sense for when they need help or are upset. Also, the way you described the twisted gut feeling is kinda cool, I usually get butterflies or blush a lot from joy!

    Well, that explains why you're always so nice to interact with

1 2 β€Ί