Shelter woods is the worst map in dead by daylight

Basically this map has no main building, many deadzones and little amount of pallets.

Either you will get all jungle gyms or only t and l walls, no in beetwen.

Why didn't this map got a proper rework. lmao

Comments

  • I love getting it as killer for obvious reasons. Especially as I am a Mikey main and its just a big open area that's great for stalking.

    Hate it as survivor.

  • Midwich, the map that is so bad that it sucks for both killer and survivor, would like to have a word with you

  • @Hoodied said:

    Midwich, the map that is so bad that it sucks for both killer and survivor, would like to have a word with you

    That map has many pallets and good lops, that you can connect.

    Meanwhile deadzone shelter has 9 pallets with boring jungle gyms and t and l walls

  • @FFabeq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694325#Comment_1694325

    That map has many pallets and good lops, that you can connect.

    Meanwhile deadzone shelter has 9 pallets with boring jungle gyms and t and l walls

    Yeah, but so many people have went to second stage because of the staircases on the map, or even died cause of it

  • Rotten Fields is way worse imo. I dont mind shelter woods from either side

  • A lot of maps are needing a rework. But I agree with Hoodied. Midwich is the only map that both sides are struggeling on and that makes it the worst map.

    It is actually sad considering how much effort was put into the design. The map itself is great but not for a game like DBD.

  • @Hoodied said:

    Midwich, the map that is so bad that it sucks for both killer and survivor, would like to have a word with you

    I'd take 10 midwitch maps in a row rather than play shelter woods once.

  • Midwich is infinitely worse what are you on about

  • @Hoodied said:

    Midwich, the map that is so bad that it sucks for both killer and survivor, would like to have a word with you

    I had a match where one turd used and offering to go to Midwich last night. I wasn’t looking to go all out and wanted to farm but as soon as I saw that offering, everything changed and I was seeing red.

    I Killed them all and gave them no chances. Oh, you were unhooked recently? I DONT CARE YOU WILL SUFFER!!!!!!RaWr!

    I kinda felt bad during the end game screen because it turns out they were baby low ranks and the one who gave the offering probably liked Silent Hill, but my hate for that map outweighs my guilt.

  • @AvisDeene said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694325#Comment_1694325

    I had a match where one turd used and offering to go to Midwich last night. I wasn’t looking to go all out and wanted to farm but as soon as I saw that offering, everything changed and I was seeing red.

    I Killed them all and gave them no chances. Oh, you were unhooked recently? I DONT CARE YOU WILL SUFFER!!!!!!RaWr!

    I kinda felt bad during the end game screen because it turns out they were baby low ranks and the one who gave the offering probably liked Silent Hill, but my hate for that map outweighs my guilt.

    I have had games where I dealt with OoO on midwich

    Was not fun

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly said:

    Rotten Fields is way worse imo. I dont mind shelter woods from either side

    the map that is big and has decent amount pallets is worse than deadzone shelter? what you on

  • @Hoodied said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694409#Comment_1694409

    I have had games where I dealt with OoO on midwich

    Was not fun

    If I get that, and I sense they’re a pro SWF death squad, I just go stand in the basement. It just not worth the headache.

  • @AvisDeene said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694415#Comment_1694415

    If I get that, and I sense they’re a pro SWF death squad, I just go stand in the basement. It just not worth the headache.

    I actually went for the attempt, I only got about 3 downs and 3 hooks that match cause every time I would get remotely near the OoO all of them would run away

  • @Hoodied said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694420#Comment_1694420

    I actually went for the attempt, I only got about 3 downs and 3 hooks that match cause every time I would get remotely near the OoO all of them would run away

    Yea, I’d rather go make a sandwich for my next match while they could tunnel gens.

  • So... not even one mention of Ormond?

    That map that's almost 50% larger than both sheltered woods AND Midwich, and has so many safe pallets that you can't drop a pallet without it hitting a second pallet?

  • @AvisDeene said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694426#Comment_1694426

    Yea, I’d rather go make a sandwich for my next match while they could tunnel gens.

    I think one of the other times when I faced an OoO I actually just went downstairs and used the bathroom

  • Shelter Woods is one of those maps that I really wish wasn't present in the public matchmaking pool (same for Rotten Fields and a handful of others). It's horrendously boring, considering that it's another one of the "just hold w" maps like Midwich is. And realistically it probably could be "turned off", since it's a non-licensed map and has no achievements related to it.

    I don't think I've ever seen anyone be like "Heck yeah! It's Shelter Woods/Rotten Fields/Midwich!". In fact usually it's the opposite sentiment or apathetic neutrality. Sure, not every map can be Coal Tower or Father Campbell's Chapel, but no map should be this mutually dull.

  • @FFabeq said:

    Basically this map has no main building, many deadzones and little amount of pallets.

    Either you will get all jungle gyms or only t and l walls, no in beetwen.

    Why didn't this map got a proper rework. lmao

    I don't like it as survivor for obvious reasons. But even as killer I don't like shelter woods I thinks it's a lifeless map.

  • this map should’ve just been deleted. i doubt anyone would’ve missed it lmfao

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694366#Comment_1694366

    Shelter Woods is at least good against low-mobility killers. Midwich is just horrible for survivors and killers. Well, except for Hag lol. She's a nightmare there.

    At least I know where the pallets are on Midwitch.

  • For survivors it can be quite hard since the map is a huge dead zone. Only some few OK pallets and a bunch of T,L loops. I don't hate but I don't really love it either, since it looks like a map that was mostly created without much thought or life to it. Honestly most of the Autohaven Wreckers maps, Ormond and Red Forest are much worse.

  • I think it's terrible, but it's still an open map, the worst open map is still better than the best indoor map (Lery's)

  • I don't like Shelter Woods either. It needs a rework at least for the middle of the map.

  • I kinda hoped Shelter Woods would get a better adjustments with the McMillian update, but even after it, it still feels like a sandbox beta map in this game.

  • The outsides of it are ok, and the middle is just

    T r e e

    R o c k

    B i g T r e e

    R o c k

    T r e e

  • @FFabeq said:

    Basically this map has no main building, many deadzones and little amount of pallets.

    Either you will get all jungle gyms or only t and l walls, no in beetwen.

    Why didn't this map got a proper rework. lmao

    *Laughs in Ormond

  • Why is it even called 'shelter woods' btw?

    with such a name and trapper's lore i'd have expected this to have been where the miner's barracks where.

  • Lery’s was a full on gorgeous rework

    Shelter Woods was merely graphic enhancements

    ...still a boring waste of a map

  • @FrickingNancyMain said:

    The outsides of it are ok, and the middle is just

    T r e e

    R o c k

    B i g T r e e

    R o c k

    T r e e

    And my personal favs:

    Random totem and/or chest I wasn't expecting to get stuck on.

  • ormond has many pallets, main building and is big.

    That map is good for survivors and high mobility killers, next

  • @Hoodied said:

    Midwich, the map that is so bad that it sucks for both killer and survivor, would like to have a word with you

    I will say that Blight is incredibly fun on that map. But otherwise, yeah, its bad.

  • Ormond and Haddonfield both exist my friend.

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly said:

    Rotten Fields is way worse imo. I dont mind shelter woods from either side

    I agree with this, as it's the most boring map to play on. A shack in the middle with some bits around the outside. Dull as heck!

    Although, Shelter Woods could do with more stuff to do. The trees at least are plentiful and offer something, but it is devoid of much else. At the very least make the map larger so the gens can be spaced out more.

  • @FFabeq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1695404#Comment_1695404

    ormond has many pallets, main building and is big.

    That map is good for survivors and high mobility killers, next

    Not even high mobility killers can always perform well (maybe nurse but even then). What I meant was that it was the worst map to be added in the game because it is pretty powerful for survivors and sucks for every killer. If survivors are good loopers or hammer out gens or both, you will most likely lose regardless of how hard you try.

  • @ChantyBoi said:

    Ormond and Haddonfield both exist my friend.

    They have main building, strong loops, aren't as small and dark.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1695438#Comment_1695438

    Not even high mobility killers can always perform well (maybe nurse but even then). What I meant was that it was the worst map to be added in the game because it is pretty powerful for survivors and sucks for every killer. If survivors are good loopers or hammer out gens or both, you will most likely lose regardless of how hard you try.

    By the way you think, coal tower, hawkins, and azarov resting place are trash because killers can end the game in 2 minutes, cuz all the loops are unsafe, the gens are too close to eachother and skilled killers won't give you a chance

  • Why do survivors remain in this state of denial that Shelter Woods is meant to be played via stealth?!

    Yeah, there are few resources. So be cautious and avoid unnecessary attention. Don’t finish a repair in the Killers face if you know you don’t really have anywhere to go.

    Yeah, there are many dead zones. But that’s the point. There’s NO reason for the killer to go into those areas unless SURVIVORS give them reason to (or if they’re running Whispers or aura reading). So other than that, these make for GREAT hiding spots until you can be ABSOLUTELY sure you can return to objectives safely.

  • Thank god someone beat me to it, I definitely agree that Shelter Woods is just the worst map for survivor at the moment. I just counted and I had 4 structures - 1 jungle gym (short wall variant), 3 pallet gyms (no window), 1 TL wall, and 6 of those unsafe pallet loops. Normally, this would be fine but the map is so incredibly huge with the middle being completely desolate, no hill structures or main building, that you physically can’t link anything unless you get lucky with the unsafe pallet spawns (that normally spawn on the corners). I’m having a nightmarish time playing it compared to the old map where the structures were more centralised, the shack was able to be reached, and the unsafe pallets were predictable...

    Midwich is decent balance wise, minus the tons of breakable walls for killers, it’s just so unfun and boring to trek around, having to get off a gen early so you make it in time for an unhook. Both maps need some tweaking.

  • @Kamizake12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1695783#Comment_1695783

    Yea cause Stealth Is viable against smart killers, what happens when u get a doctor?

    Bad luck I guess. Just hope he has no reason, or inclination to set off Blast if you’re hiding in a dead zone.

  • @FFabeq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1695772#Comment_1695772

    By the way you think, coal tower, hawkins, and azarov resting place are trash because killers can end the game in 2 minutes, cuz all the loops are unsafe, the gens are too close to eachother and skilled killers won't give you a chance

    Not necessarily. But since we are on the topic of killer/survivor sided maps -

    Coal tower: Survivor sided due to incredibly safe tile spawns

    Hawkins: Killer sided because survivors have a much reduced time to realize if a killer is coming their way especially if it is a stealth killer. They could use spine chill but all you have to do to counter that is look in another direction while approaching a generator or area where survivors are.

    Azarov's resting place: Killer sided if the killer lets survivors do gens on one side of the map while keeping 3 and sometimes 4 gens on one part of the map where it is almost impossible to win as survivor.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1695779#Comment_1695779

    Not necessarily. But since we are on the topic of killer/survivor sided maps -

    Coal tower: Survivor sided due to incredibly safe tile spawns

    Hawkins: Killer sided because survivors have a much reduced time to realize if a killer is coming their way especially if it is a stealth killer. They could use spine chill but all you have to do to counter that is look in another direction while approaching a generator or area where survivors are.

    Azarov's resting place: Killer sided if the killer lets survivors do gens on one side of the map while keeping 3 and sometimes 4 gens on one part of the map where it is almost impossible to win as survivor.

    coal tower has almost the same amount of tiles as shelter woods. And is smaller than it, but has main building

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    Why do survivors remain in this state of denial that Shelter Woods is meant to be played via stealth?!

    Yeah, there are few resources. So be cautious and avoid unnecessary attention. Don’t finish a repair in the Killers face if you know you don’t really have anywhere to go.

    Yeah, there are many dead zones. But that’s the point. There’s NO reason for the killer to go into those areas unless SURVIVORS give them reason to (or if they’re running Whispers or aura reading). So other than that, these make for GREAT hiding spots until you can be ABSOLUTELY sure you can return to objectives safely.

    In current state of the game, there is no time to play stealthy if ur solo queue team isn't doing well or the killer is great.

  • Ormond would like to have a word with you

  • @Hoodied said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694330#Comment_1694330

    Yeah, but so many people have went to second stage because of the staircases on the map, or even died cause of it

    Optimal strategy on Midwich is unironically to camp. You only have two chokepoints usually, yourself traversing the map to patrol gens is pointless, and survivors getting a save is difficult. Surv sided map for me though, but I think your best chance is to just camp and hope they're altruistic

  • What about midwich

    And lery's

    And Hawkins

    And the game

    And ormond

    And yamaoka

    And lampkin lane?

  • @CashelP14 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1694325#Comment_1694325

    I'd take 10 midwitch maps in a row rather than play shelter woods once.

    Im with this guy, midwitch is a much more enjoyable map.

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    What about midwich

    And lery's

    And Hawkins

    And the game

    And ormond

    And yamaoka

    And lampkin lane?

    They're big, have many pallets, good hiding spots and gen spots. Nice loops