What about surrendering?

If 1) Every survivor is sacrificed, dead, or in the dying state, and 2) All alive survivors unanimously agree, the Surrender option becomes available in the pause menu.

When survivors surrender, they are immediately sacrificed and the game is over. All survivors who agreed to the surrender are treated as if they had been sacrificed regularly and do not receive Escape points. The animation for surrendering could be that of endgame collapse, or have no animation and just immediately cut to results.

This would be a "we're not winning, just end the game" button that doesn't cause a DC.

Obviously a better name could be implemented ("Give up," "self-sacrifice," etc.).

Will it fix the DC problem? God no. But it might help.

Open to criticism, ideas, whatever.


Edit: grammar (small brain time)

Comments

  • what about the killer who wants out?

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    what about the killer who wants out?

    Maybe the killer can surrender when EGC starts, or after like 5 minutes?

  • @undoredo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1682264#Comment_1682264

    Maybe the killer can surrender when EGC starts, or after like 5 minutes?

    ok

  • This sounds like it only works if all living survivors are slugged? Which wont do much for 90% of disconnects out there

  • Killing yourself on hook is this game's built in surrender option for survivors. There's no need for survivors to have a separate surrender option in this game. Especially considering that the design of the hook is that every single survivor has a veto option for surrender that overpowers all other members of their team.

  • @Pr0p3r9 said:

    Killing yourself on hook is this game's built in surrender option for survivors. There's no need for survivors to have a separate surrender option in this game. Especially considering that the design of the hook is that every single survivor has a veto option for surrender that overpowers all other members of their team.

    That only works IF Survivors make it to the hook.

  • no need to, survivors already do it by killing themselves on hook wich will happen 99% of games, how many deerstalker nock out players have you seen in all the time youve been playing this game? the killers from the other hand would be good to have something to surrender as survivors have since 2016- sometiems you are not enjoying the game with all the toxicity 3-4 man provides, not insta surrender but after 4 to 5 minutes you are allowed to live, that would be nice. survivors community would get forced to treat killers better or they wont have a game, or maybe you just are not having fun and you want to leave, sometimes survivors are just gen rushing so damn hard that you want just not play anymore, almost never happens to me but it does for a lot of people and then just go afk, so it would be nice i think the game would be in a better spot if everyone starts to actually treat others better this would be an start.

    so survivorss already have it, it just needs to be extended for killers in some away aswell. even if the match exists because of the killer is not fair that only survivors are allowed to leave when they "want" to get another game, killers should have the same right to leave after certain time.

  • Leaving the game is already a forfeit option. The devs just need to treat it as such since it's such a decider of how a game will play out.

  • I don't understand surrender mentality. It is so incomprehensible for my tiny little brain.

    Why are you playing if you don't want to play? Why no one can explain me this? Is it so complicated that I never understand?

    Is it because you so affraid to lose but you want to lose by surrender? Is it because you want to save your time but you ready to waste your time by looking for easier game? If you are frustrated by losing how is giving up helps you?

    You lose anyway, why don't take a chance to make a wonderful miraculous comeback? Don't you know how good this feel? When all team is downed and someone has unbreakable it often prolongs game for 3 gens. One perk in hopless situation can make killer's life so much harder.

    I played csgo before dbd, and it has surrender option. When your team is demoralized it is much more frustrating than lose. Even when my opponents giving up I feel bad for them. Because it is lose without trying. And sometimes I had unbelieveble comebacks when my team stayed strong. Even my opponents did crazy comebacks when we were winning. And I didn't felt bad for my team in that scenarios. I felt proud for opponents. Dbd absolutely can provide such moments as well.

  • @kaeru They want to win, but don't want to face the struggle of getting better.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1682438#Comment_1682438

    Maybe I'd like to surrender because I don't want to be slugged for four minutes.

    Maybe I'd like to surrender because the killer is holding me hostage and it sucks having to DC to escape that.

    Maybe I'd like to surrender because a bug is preventing me from being able to move and my opponent is not progressing the game in any meaningful way and I shouldn't be trapped in a game where the only escape is to take a DC penalty and void my blood point earnings.

    Maybe I'd like to surrender because the game is pretty much over and we'd just like to move onto the next game.

    Maybe I'd like to surrender because it's Legion/three gen Doc and it's been 30+ minutes already.

    Lots of reasons why a surrender option would be welcome. Games are about having fun -- not about whether you win or lose, but it can be annoying being literally stuck in a game you know you can't/won't win and the opposite side intentionally or not, drags it out for 5, 10, or even 15 minutes. Which has happened to me as both survivor and killer many times.

    • Maybe I'd like to surrender because I don't want to be slugged for four minutes.

    Weak reaon to give up. Rarely killer slug more than one minute in total. In that time you can be healed by teammates or unbreakable. If it happen often to you, make your build focused on slugging. If it not happen often, just play an unlucky match, what a big deal?


    • Maybe I'd like to surrender because the killer is holding me hostage and it sucks having to DC to escape that.

    Good reason but also extremely rare. Vast majority of players want to play normally and trolling is not effective. Not worth surrender option. You can just play this one unlucky game or wait out 5 minutes dc penalty.


    • Maybe I'd like to surrender because a bug is preventing me from being able to move and my opponent is not progressing the game in any meaningful way and I shouldn't be trapped in a game where the only escape is to take a DC penalty and void my blood point earnings.

    And you suggest to make surrender option instead of fixing a bug? When hill glitch was an issue everyone was aware of it and players with good memory never got stuck twice.


    • Maybe I'd like to surrender because the game is pretty much over and we'd just like to move onto the next game.

    It's over only when you died or escaped. You want to save 20 seconds? Just wait it out, what's the rush? Not worth surrender.


    • Maybe I'd like to surrender because it's Legion/three gen Doc and it's been 30+ minutes already.

    So this is just a trial that take longer than you want. Why don't you just play it? Play 1 match or 3, what the difference if you already playing? 3-gen scenarios are most intense games, how are you not having fun?


    There is so few scenarios when you clearly can't win. You almost always have a chance. Take a chance and win is absolutely great. Take a chance and lose is still better than surrender, because you won't regret you didn't take a chance. If surrender option will be added, it will be abused everytime someone have slight harder game. You will surrender everytime you think you can't win when actually you could. And this is annoying for both sides. So many times someone died on first hook and we made 4 gens after this. We could clearly win if he stayed in game. Give this survivor surrender option and he will try to convince other team that there is no chance to win. And then he will suicide on first hook as usual. Get into lobby with 3-man swf and they will quickly ruin your game with surrender option. Even if you need 4 voices to give up, they will spam you with consistent voting. And then they will blame you for being bad teammate and reason they lose.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1682505#Comment_1682505

    If everyone is downed and unbreakable has already been used, then people are just waiting, sometimes minutes at a time for crows to reveal their location to be hooked. You say "What if someone can come and heal you" -- but you're ignoring the other side of the spectrum; what if someone CAN'T come and heal you? Is there any harm ending the game there and then? Why are you so against people just moving on to the next match?

    And you say weak reason, but there have been many, many matches where I've been slugged until bleed out. I ran DS, Unbreakable before it was "smol pp" build along with Tenacity (meme build). So I have the anti slugging thing down, trust me. It doesn't help though if a killer wants you slugged and there's only one other person left and they (correctly) do not come to save you. 4 minutes I just sit there with 3 crows flying above my head.

    Being held hostage may be rare, but rare doesn't mean it's not a problem. I rarely went up against iridescent hatchets -- doesn't mean they aren't OP or okay.

    "Just avoid the bug" is not reasonable. I couldn't avoid being hooked in the basement when the basement bug was around, which would often cause us to be stuck in a match for 15+ minutes unable to play because if the killer just hooked two people there and intentionally left you there, well, good luck trying to get out without leaving the match.

    What about being stuck indefinitely in lockers. Do I just not use lockers ever? That bug is still around.

    How about being stuck inside pallets? Do I just never drop pallets as survivor? How about when getting stuck inside generators, do I just never kick generators as killer?

    What about getting stuck in the "being healed" state indefinitely bug, which has been around since 2016, which causes either the killer or the survivor to have to DC to end the match?

    This game has so many problems with it that "just avoid the bug" is unfortunately not useful when many of the bugs are literally unavoidable.

    And yes, I agree, the bugs should be fixed. Unfortunately, Behavior never fixes bugs. They just do band-aids and then pretend the problem is gone. I've literally made a post a few months ago listing over 100 bugs that still aren't fixed in the game and I think fewer than 10 have been fixed since then -- and many more have been added.

    More than 20 seconds, and over the course of dozens and dozens of games, saves several hours of people's time. Can attest to this from having played Identity V, which matches are shorter and have a far less "ending game" animation than DBD does. Wasting people's time, which is valuable to them, for no reason, literally serves no purpose. There is no benefit to this.

    I disagree that sometimes three gen scenarios are the most intense games. That doesn't mean they can't be the most intense, but the vast majority of my three-gen scenarios was a killer who would never commit to chase, and just camp all the gens. One match in Underground complex it was just me and two other survivors, and a demogorgon. Literally 25 minutes later, nobody has been hooked because the other two survivors were just hiding, the generators were always being regressed because he was just outright camping them, and never committing to any chases on me when I was trying to do them. I legit tried to progress this match for over 25 minutes and got nowhere.

    Just because a match had length does not mean that its quality was good.

    The match lasted so long that I just gave up and let him grab me -- then instead of hooking me, he just dropped me and proceeded to just patrol again despite the fact none of the gens were worked on. Just DCed and quit playing at that point. Waste of 30 minutes of my time and I had to leave.

    Does that sound fun to you? Because I assure you, it sure was one of the worst experiences I had in this game. A surrender option may have spared me the vast majority of that "######### show". And such scenarios have happened more than once to me and I know they have happened to other people as well.

    Identity V has a surrender option, Identity V plays pretty damn similar to DBD (BHVR even helped make it), and the worries and behavioural tropes you are fretting about do not happen in that game at all. Hell, even in League of Legends, it's quite rare to see people throw just because a surrender vote failed. I certainly do not go "######### this" and throw a game just because other people don't want to move on, assuming the match is still developing (unlike the above example). If the other people do not want to move on, I will be happy to play a match out to its conclusion, but at the same time, if a match is literally over, and there is literally nothing left that can be done to change the outcome of the match because ALL options have been exhausted, then I do not want to be sitting there for 4+ minutes doing nothing. That is not a valuable use of my, the killer's, or anyone else's time.

    It's why pros in Chess will surrender even if there are pieces still left on the board -- because they know what the outcome will be, and rather than dragging the match out needlessly when the outcome is 100% guaranteed, they surrender, because there is nothing left.

    Matches may end in DBD when all survivors escape/die, but the outcomes of such matches can sometimes be decided and cemented in stone minutes before that happens.

    I uderstand you want to save time. But with surrender option you will get something more terrible than 5 minutes wasted.

    I am against surrender option because I am against surrender itself. There is so few scenarios when you clearly can't do anything, that even no need to make surrender option. You сan just DC and wait 5 minutes or wait to end. 5 minutes is not so much if you not doing it all the time. And being slugged or sandbagged are so rare scenarios, you will never get more than 5 minutes penalty for ragequit. And there is a lot scenarios where surrender would be annoying.

    You don't like killer? Not your teammates' problem.

    You don't like his playstyle? Not your teammates' problem.

    You don't like his add-ons? Not your teammates' problem.

    You don't like his perks? Not your teammates' problem.

    You don't want to be moried? You still have little chance.

    3-genned? Play. You still have chance to win.

    Match is about to end? It will end soon without surrender.

    You being slugged? It never take more than 4 minutes. You still can win.

    Everyone being slugged? It never take more than 4 minutes. Someone can have perk. And it also rare scenario most of the time caused by survivors' mistakes. Pay for it or dc yourself.

    Someone gives up? It is not the reason to give up for you. Still winnable scenario.

    You got teammates making mistakes? It happens, you still can win.

    But if you had surrender option, your teammates would annoy you with voting for surrender everytime something goes wrong. This is why I don't want surrender be an option. Because survivors often give up when they still have good chances. So much more often than actual unwinnable scenarios. Surrender option will become another "legit" way to disconnect, same as suicide on first hook. And I am absolutely against it.