What’s up with gens sound now?

Did we really need to change this? It is incredibly loud, it drowns out hearing and as killer I can 100% tell when a gen is being worked on, seemingly from even further away. I really don’t want to hear a 1978 ford pinto trying to start up all game

Comments

  • @EuphoricBliss35 said:

    Did we really need to change this? It is incredibly loud, it drowns out hearing and as killer I can 100% tell when a gen is being worked on, seemingly from even further away. I really don’t want to hear a 1978 ford pinto trying to start up all game

    I hate the new gen sounds. If I wanted to hear a car stutter, I would go ask my parents to start up their old car. It's really annoying

  • It's horrible. Don't they test this before? I'm using headphones and can't hear the killer coming because this is so loud. You just want to not do gens anymore and that is not good.

  • @Kind_Lemon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1624422#Comment_1624422

    The developers love changing things that don't need to be changed and end up making the game worse in one aspect or another. The community has to push a brick boulder up a hill to get the developers to even think of changing anything else.

    But then, ofc there's money, which speaks louder than a thousand posts.

    It's usually just the devs wanting to try something new. Arua readings were a flop obviously, but I keep seeing everyone complain about something that they probably wanted to try out. Hell in their defense they've been using the same gen sound for 4 years "And they should've just left it it as it is like how it was 4 years ago" . In all honesty after 4 years of hearing or doing the same thing I'd want to try and experiment with something different too. The devs made bad decisions before, but this is just something they probably wanted to experiment with and had high hopes it would have some sort of positive feedback.

    Hell I'm starting to think that some employees bet $5 if someone complains about something they recently added.


    I'm normally not ALL for the devs and there decisions but seeing the devs wanting to be a little creative only for it to be deemed as unnecessary by the community and playerbase itself, is discouraging to see.

  • @siren_sorceress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1625394#Comment_1625394

    Use your eyes? I mean fine make the gens slightly louder. (even though good killers pay attention anyways.) But making it so loud that there's no effort on your part to know if survs are working a gen while you chase near it is just a braindead buff for killers. When I play killer I constantly look back to see if survivors are back on gens (bc they try to get away with it all the time.) I dont need a baby buff to make it effortless for me. Why would full time killer mains need to be babied?

    It's also louder even before the graphical update, so killer can actually hear it. Are you saying that every killer uses this information is baby killer?

    Like i said, they can change it again, i don't mind. But telling people to rely on eyes only is not helpful. Sounds are crucial in this game, and provide many informations. The reason why devs haven't fixed all sound bugs is beyond my understanding, but this is what we get now.

  • So YES to making it more apparent to killers when a survivor is working on a gen, NO to this annoying SFX loop. Thx.

  • @Shenanigan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1624459#Comment_1624459

    It's usually just the devs wanting to try something new. Arua readings were a flop obviously, but I keep seeing everyone complain about something that they probably wanted to try out. Hell in their defense they've been using the same gen sound for 4 years "And they should've just left it it as it is like how it was 4 years ago" . In all honesty after 4 years of hearing or doing the same thing I'd want to try and experiment with something different too. The devs made bad decisions before, but this is just something they probably wanted to experiment with and had high hopes it would have some sort of positive feedback.

    Hell I'm starting to think that some employees bet $5 if someone complains about something they recently added.

    I'm normally not ALL for the devs and there decisions but seeing the devs wanting to be a little creative only for it to be deemed as unnecessary by the community and playerbase itself, is discouraging to see.

    cough PTB exists cough

    I'm all for the devs trying crazy and whack things, but not with the live build D:

    I'd love to see tests on place-able totems, radical changes to NOED, Pop, gen speeds, priming pallets, whatever you can think of that might make the game better. I don't want those changes suddenly forced on me in the live game.

    That's the reason PTBs exist. That should be their sole purpose: to gather information from the players on what new additions the devs are thinking of including. One of the two times the PTB was used like that was for the self care change that just made all healing actions 25% slower while granting the ability to heal yourself. Everyone disliked it, but it was an awesome change for the PTB!

    The reason I'm so negative on the changes the devs make like this is because

    A. They aren't using the tools at their disposal for testing things

    B. Things from the PTB often aren't changed even if they are buggy because (and the following is a guess after reading reviews on Glassdoor* in addition to what various devs have said combined with the knowledge I have of how companies often work) management forces teams to push out patches on a timeline that's not suited for non-buggy, large-scale updates.

    This probably WAS a change that was meant to be included in the PTB but was not included because both the PTB and patch were forced out prematurely.

    My annoyance isn't really directed at the developers but at the people who make them put things out that are buggy or unfinished. Bloodlust stayed over from PTB into live for the first few days at least, issues with gens popping on the PTB were only addressed in the hotfix recently, and countless other things from all of the recent PTBs have been included in the following live build even when it's very clear that they are bugged or not all that pleasing to the community.

    *https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Behaviour-Interactive-Reviews-E651096.htm

    --

    Kind_Lemon 

    An advocate of place-able totems, a priming-pallet interaction, and the removal of Exposed from tier 1 Devour Hope.

    Also supports changes to how many survivors need to be present to start repairs on a generator.

    #revertNurseaddons #reverttieroneDevour #reverttieroneBL #nofreechaseresources #placeabletotems #revertBillysounds #workwiththemusicyouhave

  • @Kind_Lemon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1626380#Comment_1626380

    cough PTB exists cough

    I'm all for the devs trying crazy and whack things, but not with the live build D:

    I'd love to see tests on place-able totems, radical changes to NOED, Pop, gen speeds, priming pallets, whatever you can think of that might make the game better. I don't want those changes suddenly forced on me in the live game.

    That's the reason PTBs exist. That should be their sole purpose: to gather information from the players on what new additions the devs are thinking of including. One of the two times the PTB was used like that was for the self care change that just made all healing actions 25% slower while granting the ability to heal yourself. Everyone disliked it, but it was an awesome change for the PTB!

    The reason I'm so negative on the changes the devs make like this is because

    A. They aren't using the tools at their disposal for testing things

    B. Things from the PTB often aren't changed even if they are buggy because (and the following is a guess after reading reviews on Glassdoor* in addition to what various devs have said combined with the knowledge I have of how companies often work) management forces teams to push out patches on a timeline that's not suited for non-buggy, large-scale updates.

    This probably WAS a change that was meant to be included in the PTB but was not included because both the PTB and patch were forced out prematurely.

    My annoyance isn't really directed at the developers but at the people who make them put things out that are buggy or unfinished. Bloodlust stayed over from PTB into live for the first few days at least, issues with gens popping on the PTB were only addressed in the hotfix recently, and countless other things from all of the recent PTBs have been included in the following live build even when it's very clear that they are bugged or not all that pleasing to the community.

    *https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Behaviour-Interactive-Reviews-E651096.htm

    --

    Kind_Lemon 

    An advocate of place-able totems, a priming-pallet interaction, and the removal of Exposed from tier 1 Devour Hope.

    Also supports changes to how many survivors need to be present to start repairs on a generator.

    #revertNurseaddons #reverttieroneDevour #reverttieroneBL #nofreechaseresources #placeabletotems #revertBillysounds #workwiththemusicyouhave

    Well I do see where you're coming from though and I understand. (Even though you may know this already) we can't forget the PTB for blight and graphic updates for badham and yamaoka and gens, etc was a week behind from the current version. Maybe they did plan out to add the gen sounds in the PTB but they had to give what they could share. But either way I do understand your points nonetheless.

  • Oh, poor guys, they're feeling uncomfortable while holding m1 and genrushing now and they don't hear the killer 32 meters away so they cant hide as soon as the heartbeat start. :/

  • I agree the Gen sounds are way too loud, as a Killer I can hear a gen being worked on from across the Map basically, last night i tried to play a game with my friends and it was horrible the gen sound is so loud you cant hear the heart beat anymore, and we actually joked that the gen sounds like an old car trying to start up, I have that image of someone jumping on a gen and driving it to the exit door running over the killer on the way while crashing through the door. the Devs really need to fix this.

  • I hate that they now sound like were trying start a car not a gen.

  • @Shenanigan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1628579#Comment_1628579

    Well I do see where you're coming from though and I understand. (Even though you may know this already) we can't forget the PTB for blight and graphic updates for badham and yamaoka and gens, etc was a week behind from the current version. Maybe they did plan out to add the gen sounds in the PTB but they had to give what they could share. But either way I do understand your points nonetheless.

    I mean, yeah. It's just disheartening when things like the PTB are a week behind. Like, how is any of our feedback going to be relevant.

    It just feels so much more like a publicity stunt (new killer announcement once for the PTB and then again for the live release) than anything productive. :/

    I completely get the fact that there's a lot of negativity, and often on its own, it seems completely unreasonable (and at various times may be, or directed at the wrong individuals). I would feel terrible working on a project like this where I knew there would be at least one change in every patch that the community hated. But for a lot of people who've been following not just the game for a long time but the developers, their announcements, and the way they treat community concerns (see MCote's Civ VI statement), it usually feels like not much has been done to change any of that mentality.

    I didn't mean to pooh pooh your attempts at reducing negativity, but I did want to point out how often the devs seemingly don't look for player feedback before going through with an idea (another example being the extent to which the devs changed Hillbilly before even releasing a word to the public, and everyone else went, "What? Why?").

  • @Kind_Lemon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1628853#Comment_1628853

    I mean, yeah. It's just disheartening when things like the PTB are a week behind. Like, how is any of our feedback going to be relevant.

    It just feels so much more like a publicity stunt (new killer announcement once for the PTB and then again for the live release) than anything productive. :/

    I completely get the fact that there's a lot of negativity, and often on its own, it seems completely unreasonable (and at various times may be, or directed at the wrong individuals). I would feel terrible working on a project like this where I knew there would be at least one change in every patch that the community hated. But for a lot of people who've been following not just the game for a long time but the developers, their announcements, and the way they treat community concerns (see MCote's Civ VI statement), it usually feels like not much has been done to change any of that mentality.

    I didn't mean to pooh pooh your attempts at reducing negativity, but I did want to point out how often the devs seemingly don't look for player feedback before going through with an idea (another example being the extent to which the devs changed Hillbilly before even releasing a word to the public, and everyone else went, "What? Why?").

    I thought hillbilly was getting changed due to feedback from players about him feathering too much or at least having a power that's doesn't come at a cost for using it? :0c

    Either way I just really hope this game and the devs pull something big, but at the same time the community is also pretty ok with it.

    it's just I've never seen so much negativity in a community before (while not EVERYTHING is negativity which some is just regular old criticism) while I understand that there's always besides the occasional angry fan(s)/bad apples everyone shrugs off it seems like EVERYONE here is angry at something whether it be the devs, Survivors hating on killers, killers hating on Survivors, DS this, NOED that, keys n' moris, (while it's understandable) just seeing the same post over and over again is draining. I'm starting to think if the twitter replies to DBD's twitter account are just a wee bit more decent than the forums, due to it. Besides those Sidney Prescott fancams

  • @Shenanigan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1629255#Comment_1629255

    I thought hillbilly was getting changed due to feedback from players about him feathering too much or at least having a power that's doesn't come at a cost for using it? :0c

    Either way I just really hope this game and the devs pull something big, but at the same time the community is also pretty ok with it.

    it's just I've never seen so much negativity in a community before (while not EVERYTHING is negativity which some is just regular old criticism) while I understand that there's always besides the occasional angry fan(s)/bad apples everyone shrugs off it seems like EVERYONE here is angry at something whether it be the devs, Survivors hating on killers, killers hating on Survivors, DS this, NOED that, keys n' moris, (while it's understandable) just seeing the same post over and over again is draining. I'm starting to think if the twitter replies to DBD's twitter account are just a wee bit more decent than the forums, due to it. Besides those Sidney Prescott fancams

    This community and game brings out a lot of hate from everyone, and it gets directed at everyone because often very few people know the underlying cause behind what's making them upset.

    The community doesn't really know what made the devs look at Hillbilly then, but the "official' stated reason was to make using the Hillbilly's power require more micromanagement. Survivors were upset at Hillbilly (and still can be) due to how ridiculous his chainsaw hits can appear to survivors (aka it was (and still is) a hitbox/animation issue that often made hits due to Hillbillies trying again and again on the same curve feel unfair). There was also some problems regarding insta saw and crack billy, but those could have been dealt with through simple number changes if necessary (the existence of the combo is actually more of an issue of bloodweb leveling still being the only way to level up perks*, but that's a different conversation). When the changes were announced, nearly all of the feedback that I saw was overwhelmingly negative, from both sides. The best ideas I saw were to just scrap the changes completely, but that was unrealistic because the devs had (stupidly imo) already spent significant time and resources into making the changes.

    The final product, after tremendous community pushback against the devs decisions, was not different at all from the previous product in terms of kill ability and efficiency. However, it was significantly different in the aspect of just having fun, not equipping perks to win, and going for crazy saws recklessly in the hopes that somehow the stars would align and a survivor would say, "Wow. That....was unexpected and definitely caught me off guard in the best of ways." I was that kind of player. I loved whipping around jungle gyms again and again and again even if it meant I was losing the game. The changes the devs made neutered that while not touching the real issues players had with Hillbilly (same for Nurse). Also, the roar completely turned me away from the killer.

    The only reason people can be deluded into thinking it was a positive change is because Hillbilly got less popular as a result (because he was less fun to play given the entire experience). Then, since survivors saw (haha, get it?) the issues around hitboxes and animations less frequently, they were much less likely to think about them and complain. That's how BHVR dealt with the issues around Nurse and Hillbilly. The devs made changes to Freddy seemingly because of how much the community hated him. The same parts of the community still tend to hate Freddy, so it was a worthless rework imo. For Doctor, I enjoyed him beforehand. Now, I hate him and won't touch him, in large part because of the godawful music but also because of how terrible he feels to play. There's no skill involved other than preventing the survivors from using their skills, and that's not killer skill in the slightest. Stealth players still don't like him (I didn't mind him before but now I do, and this is coming from a somewhat stealthy players), and most killer gameplay I see of Doctor just seems boring compared to what a killer could do before with his power.

    This was a long way to say, "I'm pretty sure the devs don't make changes for the community's sake unless it's a matter of nearly 100% of players hating it. All other changes happen because the devs trust their own judgement over the judgement of the community." I'd love to be wrong, though. It would mean cool changes are going to be coming in the near future, hopefully to how survivors interact with chase resources in early game. I sincerely doubt it, however.

    *see:

    @Kind_Lemon said:

    (for bloodweb and perk leveling, skip past the spoiler/italics)

    Spoiler Spoiler Warning ▲ ▼

    First and foremost, I think a White Ward should prevent add-ons from being lost upon an escape if the devs do go through with this change. I personally dislike it given that I have very few clean rags or rubber grips despite having upwards of one hundred of brown bloodpoint offerings each. Keeping these add-ons after a successful escape is the only way they can compete with the amount of bloodpoint offerings without burning through tens of bloodwebs worth 50,000 points each.

    About killers keeping add-ons: I think considering adding the rule that killers lose their add-ons only if a survivor escapes would be an intriguing idea even if only for the sake of lore (eg. the Entity rewards killers for doing well). However, before considering this, the issue of bloodpoint gain, the cheapness of bloodwebs, and perk acquisition needs to be addressed.

    Perks and Bloodweb leveling

    As it stands now, perks can only be obtained through the bloodweb, and the sheer number of perks in the game requires an inordinate amount of bloodpoints to be spent and bloodwebs to be run through in order to acquire most (if not all). The developers decided to make the bloodweb cheaper to combat (among other things such as 8k common bloodpoint offerings) the grind to acquire all the perks. In doing so, the developers allowed players to breeze through bloodwebs and accumulate hundreds of add-ons and offerings that can't be used in enough games before the player reaches the bloodpoint cap and has to start leveling again or waste the points.

    The BEST solution (not the easiest) is to add another menu in the bloodweb tab that is designed solely for upgrading perks and then increase the prices of items on the bloodweb. I have incomplete drawings I may edit in later, but for now, imagine it as similar to the UI structure of the loadout tab (add-on choosing, offering choosing, etc.). There is a bloodweb section and then a perk section that can be switched between with ease.

    How it functions:

    • The bloodweb no longer spawns perks higher than the first tier and teachable perks, so once a player has purchased a perk in the bloodweb, he/she will have to travel to the perk upgrade menu.
    • In the perk upgrade menu, players will be able to see the perks they have purchased off the bloodweb. All perks (other than the first tier of teachable perks) not purchased from the bloodweb will not appear. If a player clicks on a perk, a prompt will show up asking the player if he or she would like to upgrade the perk a tier (or downgrade, but I'm still not sure about having this option) and will show a price twice that of the next level's rarity (eg. upgrading from common to uncommon will be 8,000 and upgrading from Very Rare to Ultra Rare will be 14,000).
    • Purchasing a perk on the bloodweb does not immediately consume another perk node. Instead, The Entity will first consume the highest rarity node in the furthest ring.

    I think this solution is best because it removes the problem part of the grind from the bloodweb, the sole way for killers to get items and add-ons and the only way for anyone to get offerings. It gives the developers more flexibility in the future to play with prices and the numbers of rarities of nodes on any given bloodweb. Even perhaps more crucially, it allows players more agency in deciding which perks to be able to upgrade, avoiding (for the most part) unwanted perks and giving players more of an option to plan out builds and strategies without relying on chance to such a degree.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/YQKFIWTIZGMM/perk-leveling-282-29.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/LLMYBPPJFFWX/perk-leveling-286-29.png

    (ik the amount is inconsistent with what the above post states. Follow the post and treat the pictures as rough drafts.)

    (P.S. This also brings back Ultra Rare and Common perks)


  • I don't mind the sounds themselves but man it is difficult to hear skill checks nowadays. The gen sounds just made Lullaby op

  • I changed from 60% in game sound to 5% and I still can't hear people over the sound in game now It's the loudest thing ever and tilting me big time.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Love the new gen sounds. Way more realistic.

    Nah the sounds need to go, this isn’t a debate.

1 2 ›