The Billie nerf was warranted

All you see around here is a very vocal group decrying the Billie nerfs. But these nerfs are very warranted and Billie feels very oppressive at red ranks and tends to snowball games very hard and very quickly if you get 1 teammate who does not know how to dodge. These nerfs are very welcomed by some. Keep it up BHVR :)

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    I keep seeing people associate Billy with skill. All you do is bulldoze into people and never M1. God forbid Billy actually use his mallet.

    And they're now saying Oni is a stronger Billy. Oni can't 1 hit down everyone within the first minute of the match. Oni absolutely deserves what he does because he earns it. He has to build it up first.

    Billy deserved everything he got.

    With that said I've been watching streams and he can still cruise along in the level even when overheated. And an on-demand 1 hit down is still incredibly powerful. But spamming or even revving it in people's faces until they make a mistake is now long gone. It's now more on Billy to make a conscious decision on how to use his resources.

    Are you going to mention how impossible it is to play billy against good survivors, how his chainsaw was never on command, how his mallet usually gets more hits than his chainsaw, how he is a killer that relies almost entirely on survivors making mistakes in order to actually get a chainsaw hit, or how without add-ons he isn't even that great, just acceptably consistent?

    Billy's add-ons needed adjustment. Hands down, no question, they were dumb. But the basekit changes should limit his mobility, not his chase potential. And I'm not entirely sure what you mean about spamming it or revving it constantly, those are the two easiest kinds of billy players to loop because they are stuck in a constant cooldown or constantly move slower than you. The scary billy's are the ones that curve, feather and even consistently land backrevs.

  • So is a swift kick in the ass...

  • @DwightOP said:

    Billy oppressive? A real group of red ranks survivors were shitting on billy, EXPECIALLY basekit. Maybe you are just bad? Billy is oppressive against potatoes but a decent team can loop him very long.

    So I'M bad because I soloQ and don't have friends who are good at this game?


    Last I checked being likeable wasn't considered a skill.

  • @Голубой said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1427655#Comment_1427655

    Lmao not attacking and then launch into a repeated attack. Yikes.....If you're gonna be a horrible person, at least own it man.

    Explain why billy needed a nerf? Oh mighty one

  • @Valor188917 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428307#Comment_1428307

    So I'M bad because I soloQ and don't have friends who are good at this game?

    Last I checked being likeable wasn't considered a skill.

    That's a matchmaking issue. I understand your frustration because I solo Q 99% of the time aswell and 99% you get boosted team mates. I understand you, seriously. With boosted animals as team mates you have no chance. But when I get team mates on my skill level (or at least with 2 brain cells) we are usually getting 2 survivors out or sometimes we will be shitting on billys.

    But again, that's a matchmaking/ranking issue not a Billy issue. MMR could have fixed it without touching Billy.

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428484#Comment_1428484

    That's a matchmaking issue. I understand your frustration because I solo Q 99% of the time aswell and 99% you get boosted team mates. I understand you, seriously. With boosted animals as team mates you have no chance. But when I get team mates on my skill level (or at least with 2 brain cells) we are usually getting 2 survivors out or sometimes we will be shitting on billys.

    But again, that's a matchmaking/ranking issue not a Billy issue. MMR could have fixed it without touching Billy.

    It obviously can't. The Devs can't even fix sounds, you think they're gonna be able to make something as hard to do as matchmaking? Need I remind you that BHVR before DbD basically made games that you would find for 10 bucks on a table along with other shlock you'll give to your 6 year old nephew? Or Dead on Arrival Games like Warhammer Eternal Crusade?

  • @Голубой said:

    All you see around here is a very vocal group decrying the Billie nerfs. But these nerfs are very warranted and Billie feels very oppressive at red ranks and tends to snowball games very hard and very quickly if you get 1 teammate who does not know how to dodge. These nerfs are very welcomed by some. Keep it up BHVR :)

    No. His addons are what make him oppressive. Thats all they need to touch. His base kit needs to be left alone. If you think hes oppressive at red ranks, i dont think youve gotten there

  • I wonder if the survivors happy with this change will still be happy if a big chunk of billy mains end up switching to freddy and spirit.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    I wonder if the survivors happy with this change will still be happy if a big chunk of billy mains end up switching to freddy and spirit.

    Yes because my teammates won't instantly go down without me being able to even repair the furthest gen without them getting to me in a second.

  • only his addons really needed the change

  • @Valor188917 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428656#Comment_1428656

    Yes because my teammates won't instantly go down without me being able to even repair the furthest gen without them getting to me in a second.

    Three of my teammates went down instantly yesterday to a (current) leatherface, maybe they should be nerfing him instead 🤔

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428658#Comment_1428658

    Three of my teammates went down instantly yesterday to a (current) leatherface, maybe they should be nerfing him instead 🤔

    LF wont cross the map in a sec, for that to happen the teammates needed to be clumped up. Which is fun but results in you dieing to almost any killer with a snowball mechanic.

  • They actually destroyed Billy.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    I wonder if the survivors happy with this change will still be happy if a big chunk of billy mains end up switching to freddy and spirit.

    Billie tends to smash my games faster than those 2. Don't get me wrong, Spirit also tends to smash the games but at least it feels less soul crushing (keyword: less). Freddie needs tweaking and I cannot stand how long he can drag out games, but he also feels like a death nets me some good time in game. Overall, I honestly think Billie has been much more problematic. Spirit and Freddie felt worse prior to rank 1, but when I started versing the BIllies who knew how to not run into walls so easily, he is super problematic.

  • @bubblecat said:

    To add to the discussion: Do I think the nerf was warranted? Yes, but not to his basekit.

    Things that were really unfun to play against in the past were double-windup addon huntress and instasaw on billy, both with the old tinkerer - which made charge time addons more effective -

    That combination of addons + perks made both killers extremely oppressive to play against, effectively removing most of the counterplay you had.

    As a consequence, tinkerer was changed to the version we know of right now.

    My personal philosophy on addons is that they should make a killer stronger, but within reason, and addon combinations like primer bulb + tuning guide, tuning guide and doom engravings or even tuning guide and thompsons mix made billy much much stronger than he was at baseline, to the point were you could easily stomp most games at red ranks with them if you were even a mediocre Hillbilly player.

    The addons are what made Hillbilly extremely strong and viable at high levels of play, and not his basekit. Hillbilly without any addons, or simply addoncombinations that werent Crack or Instasaw, against good players - and I dont mean your average red rank survivor - was a very balanced killer with a good amount of counterplay.

    This is what made Hillbilly extremely fun to play as AND against in my opinion, the fact that you felt like the better player would win the chase.

    Survivor and Killer interaction in a chase is what is the most fun to me in the game. I dont particularly care about getting four kills every match, or escaping every single match as long as I got to have a fun chase going on with the other player. As such, the ability to 4K every single match is something I simply dont care about as it doesnt tell me how much fun I had playing as or against that killer.

    Hillbilly is the Killer I without a doubt had the most fun playing as and against in this game, other Killers just weren't that fun to play against (think Deathslinger, Pyramidhead, Spirit, Nurse) because for the most part I don't feel outplayed, I simply feel like I have to win a coinflip everytime - yes I know there's a certain amount of counterplay to each killer -

    I understand the grievances other people had with Hillbilly the way he is on live servers right now.

    I agree that his add-ons needed changing. The way they are done now on the PTB leaves you with some interesting choices, I think most of his add-ons are relatively decent or interesting (though I dont understand why they needed to add more gimmick addons with the flashlight-related addons).

    But the overheat mechanic is something I can't see myself ever enjoying, even after testing it out on the PTB. Simply adding a cooldown to his chainsaw is something that - to me - removes a lot of the fun and gameplay depth you had with him. For example: being able to zone a survivor into a bad position by holding out your saw, faking the pallet break with your saw, curving, chainsaw feathering at pallets, all these things are effectively removed from gameplay now - at least in my opinion - because I'll have to always keep focus on the heat, possibly preventing me from using the chainsaw alltogether until it has completely cooled down if it ever overheats. This change is really taking the fun out of Hillbilly. Will he still be strong? Possibly. Will people adapt? Definitely. Do i think this change effectively killed the most fun and interactive killer BHVR has ever created? YES.

    Am...I the only one who is not bothered by Deathslinger? He really does not feel like an anti-fun killer to me. I like playing against him in games and never really feel the frustration that comes along with certain killers with him.

  • @Голубой said:

    All you see around here is a very vocal group decrying the Billie nerfs. But these nerfs are very warranted and Billie feels very oppressive at red ranks and tends to snowball games very hard and very quickly if you get 1 teammate who does not know how to dodge. These nerfs are very welcomed by some. Keep it up BHVR :)

    @Aven_Fallen said:

    But: "Billy is the most balanced Killer". If you repeat it, it will become true!

    Could i get clips from both of you playing new billy on the PTB? Would be hilarous to see you try and try and try again and try...

  • I can't believe this bait worked. "Billie" is a touchy subject I guess.

  • @Голубой said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428656#Comment_1428656

    Billie tends to smash my games faster than those 2. Don't get me wrong, Spirit also tends to smash the games but at least it feels less soul crushing (keyword: less). Freddie needs tweaking and I cannot stand how long he can drag out games, but he also feels like a death nets me some good time in game. Overall, I honestly think Billie has been much more problematic. Spirit and Freddie felt worse prior to rank 1, but when I started versing the BIllies who knew how to not run into walls so easily, he is super problematic.

    @Valor188917 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1428845#Comment_1428845

    LF wont cross the map in a sec, for that to happen the teammates needed to be clumped up. Which is fun but results in you dieing to almost any killer with a snowball mechanic.

    I see your points but it does feel like he's getting nerfed at least partially just because some survivors are useless against him. I know the frustration when you go against a mediocre billy who eventually gives up trying to chainsaw you and goes for teammates who fling themselves into his chainsaw the second they see him. But after a while I found it fun learning to counter him, much as I initially hated him when I was a rank 15.

  • @Голубой said:

    All you see around here is a very vocal group decrying the Billie nerfs. But these nerfs are very warranted and Billie feels very oppressive at red ranks and tends to snowball games very hard and very quickly if you get 1 teammate who does not know how to dodge. These nerfs are very welcomed by some. Keep it up BHVR :)

    Mid tier killer strong when using strong things nerf until bottom tier?

    Also these nerfs are welcomed by the swf community who now only have to look out for spirit, nurse, and iri head huntress because having more than 3 viable things for the opposition scares them.

  • @Sir_Bassington said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1427811#Comment_1427811

    any killer can do that, oni can do it, huntress can do it, nurse can do it, hag and trapper can end a match in seconds with proper trap placements, etc. any killer can turn a game arround as resources gets used up and survivors make mistakes.

    Let's be clear, snow balling itself is not an issue. But a balanced killer pays a price to Snow ball. Oni needs to get survivors bleeding and prevent them from healing and find the pools of blood in the map. Huntress is a 110 speed killer that relays on accurate hatches to make up for her lack of mobility, HAG is also 110 percent and requires a web of traps and cannot chase. And Trapper has weaker traps than hag but gets to move at 115 percent, however, notice that trapper has no mobility.


    This is what balance looks like. These are killers that cannot win without snow balling because they have legitimate downsides.


    Billy does not need to Snowball to win. You can tunnel to your hearts content then use noed and kill all survivors. A good survivor can win against Billy, but that's not the root of the problem. The problem is that bad Billys that should not be winning games will win games anyway.

1 2 ›