The Billy question no one is asking...

@Almo @Peanits If you're generally happy with how Billy is, why did you choose to nerf him at all? Obviously a lot of time was spent to create the changes for the overheating mechanic from the overheating visuals and the coding required for it to work.

But where is the news about changes that the players have been clamoring for for possibly much longer than you've thought about nerfing Billy?

-Underused perk improvements

-Generally weaker Killers

-Changes to keys and mories

-Nurse fixes

-Totems

-Sound issues

and other oft requested and talked about issues on the forums.

My question is simply "why"?

Why were resources spent on changing Billy when there are requests from the community for other more pressing issues like the ones I've listed already.

The Clown's movement speed penalty while throwing was removed while still leaving a slowdown bug in place and doesn't exactly help his issue creating "pressure" . Trapper still needs work but you mentioned before that the trap reset change happened because it was easy. If you were still working on Trapper, why have no changes happened since then to help with his other issues when clearly more effort has gone into this "minor" nerf for Billy that required an entirely new mechanic to be created.

Is something similar to the "minor" Billy nerf in the immediate works as a "minor" buff for Clown and Trapper?

To be fair, we're getting Bubba changes and it looks like you used the overheat mechanic for his tantrum without the overheat mechanic visuals and cooldown, then simply increased some numbers for him. Maybe additional Trapper and Clown changes are in the works and you simply haven't said anything just like these changes.

We don't know, but when things like these unnecessary or non-essential nerfs are announced, it really does feel like you don't listen to us at all.

Even if you totally listened and buffed Leatherface.

Please explain why this change was decided upon and why it was implemented before other longstanding and debilitating issues.

As an aside, I don't care about the change. I don't play Billy at all.

I'm more interested in how and why you make decisions and why you choose some to be prioritized over others.

I simply want to understand why, because many decisions that are announced often sound nonsensical to those of us who play the game at as high of a level as our skill will allow.

Comments

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421519#Comment_1421519

    100%

    If I remember right, we got hit with the Ruin nerf and only heard about the map changes weeks or months later. I think there were some killer changes in there too. But the biggest issue was that we were hit with the nerf with the knowledge of past actions by the devs expecting to wait several months of gen rush (which we still are) with no word on actions taken or planned to be taken other than "we're going to watch and wait"

    Communication is the most important aspect of any relationship and Player/Developer relationships are no different.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421531#Comment_1421531

    Possibly, but there's certainly room for transparency isn't there? We don't have to know every aspect of the decision making process, but it wouldn't hurt to be a little more transparent in regards to their decision making process right?

    You remember right, ruin nerf was announced first week of January, map changes were announced 2nd week of April. we went three months with dbd being in its most unbalanced state in recent memory to then being in its arguabley most balanced state in recent memory.

    BHVR has a communication issue. on the line of silent nintendo to Peter Molyneux of Fable who wont shut the ######### up. they are closer to silent Nintendo but without the masterclass quality. Thats not a quality knock on BHVR btw, nobody in the industry is as consistent in quality as Nintendo for as long as they have been in the game, its just a comparision in communication.

  • @Seanzu said:

    Billy doesn't have a downsides beside just being bad at using him, making the game easier by nerfing loops & pallets made this change necessary, anyone who can't see that is just biased.

    He's supposed to have the downside of survivors having an easier time knowing where he is due to the map-wide, directional chainsaw sounds, but since sounds have not been cared for properly, he has almost no downsides. I'm much more in favor of fixing that than changing his chase potential once in a chase. Also, Billy (I believe) wasn't meant to have such powerful turning the instant he starts his sprint, but that coding error which removed a big downside (limited turning on sprint) only benefited high-level play and was left in (which was probably a decision in the right direction for balance).

    So, two downsides (limitations on turning and map-wide, directional sounds) have both been waylaid through lack of significant care over the years, and now people are saying he needs the PTB changes because he has no downsides.

    Other, player limitations to his ability to down survivors include being cocky about being able to get curves and hits in places a Billy can't feasibly do so.

  • Hillbilly is going to gain 30% of his Heat Gauge without even moving (Rev Cost + Rev Build Up = 30%).

    That's pretty harsh, imo :(

  • To make him unfun to use and bring him down in line with the other killers, namely to have a lower skill ceiling making it impossible against good survivors. He is going to be a miserable mess against survivors that know how to loop, I can promise.

    The part nobody seems to recognize is what is the difference in Billy holding his saw at 99% than a Huntress holding her charged hatchets, walking around a loop waiting for the opportunity?

    @Peanits You are a Huntress main, how would it hurt your fun factor and viability if you could only hold the hatchet for just a few seconds? If you held it too long, you have to wait a long time before you could throw it again? I have never seen a good Huntress that didn't hold it for a long time, when the time was needed.

    Killers with no cooldowns are what is fun in playing the killer side for a long time. This is why I think old Nurse, Billy, and Huntress seems to be picked the most. New nurse is a workout and this Billy is going to be miserable with an overheated toy chainsaw all the time with no flexibility in using the saw.

    Also imagine chainsawing across the map, catching a survivor in an unsafe area, but because the saw is overheated, you can't use it and forced to use M1. That is extremely unfun for both sides. As a survivor, the danger of hearing and avoiding the chainsaw is more exciting than watching his saw burning up for no reason. Worst nerf I have ever witnessed and a huge turnoff for me on this game.

  • They planned on doing a change to Leatherface and while doing that, they were probably thinking: "That's the right time to tweak Billy and his Add-Ons, so we immediately did both Chainsaw Killers."

    That's probably why they also did Billy but the Main thing in this Update is Leatherface.

    I'll expect Key and Mori changes with the next Chapter because they can't really make a new Killer and a Killer change inside one Chapter. Nurse might get some tweaks in the next Chapter Midchapter.

  • @Seanzu said:

    Billy doesn't have a downsides beside just being bad at using him, making the game easier by nerfing loops & pallets made this change necessary, anyone who can't see that is just biased.

    You missed his question. Try again.

  • Answered the first question he asked "If you're generally happy with how Billy is, why did you choose to nerf him at all?"

    They nerfed him because he has no downsides, try again.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421349#Comment_1421349

    Their priority doesn't have to match your priority, I don't see why you think it should, when they see 90% off billies running pop/infectious and 4King almost every match because of those perks, especially with sweeping match changes you could maybe understand why their priority doesn't match yours.

    You missed this: Billy wasn't their highest priority either as they admitted they are happy how Billy is. So, what's your point here?

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421938#Comment_1421938

    Answered the first question he asked "If you're generally happy with how Billy is, why did you choose to nerf him at all?"

    They nerfed him because he has no downsides, try again.

    And? If they are happy how Billy is it doesn't matter if have 0, 1 or 100 downsides. Try again.

  • @Seanzu said:

    Billy doesn't have a downsides beside just being bad at using him, making the game easier by nerfing loops & pallets made this change necessary, anyone who can't see that is just biased.

    Hmm, having a almost map wide indicator of what killer you are seems to be a downside. Also, he is absolute trash at loops against half decent survivors. Billy can be looped even at unsafe pallets, even if he feathers the chainsaw. I don't think I'm biased since I play both sides now and I don't even play Billy. Also, missing a chainsaw is very punishing and allows a survivor to gain a lot of distance. Just my opinion though.

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421964#Comment_1421964

    And? If they are happy how Billy is it doesn't matter if have 0, 1 or 100 downsides. Try again.

    Yes it does, the game is the easiest it has ever been for killer with the sweeping map changes etc, giving the strongest killers in the game who already had an easy time before those changes is the only valid way of balancing that, sorry your bias doesn't allow you to see that.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421229#Comment_1421229

    Hmm, having a almost map wide indicator of what killer you are seems to be a downside. Also, he is absolute trash at loops against half decent survivors. Billy can be looped even at unsafe pallets, even if he feathers the chainsaw. I don't think I'm biased since I play both sides now and I don't even play Billy. Also, missing a chainsaw is very punishing and allows a survivor to gain a lot of distance. Just my opinion though.

    A downside that doesn't matter "oh i know it's billy, haha beat him now".

  • Multiple people on here have asked that tho

  • @Seanzu said:

    Billy doesn't have a downsides beside just being bad at using him, making the game easier by nerfing loops & pallets made this change necessary, anyone who can't see that is just biased.

    Finally thank you

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421987#Comment_1421987

    A downside that doesn't matter "oh i know it's billy, haha beat him now".

    No, knowing which killer it is from the start of the match is some of the best information. You know it isn't a stealth killer, meaning you don't have to worry about a hit and run playstyle. You know it isn't a trap killer, meaning you don't have to worry about traps during a chase as well. Billy was balanced, at high ranks against decent survivors he was an m1 killer with good map pressure. Good survivors will never and I mean never get chainsawed against Billy unless you're in a deadzone. Billy relies on survivor mistakes, and it is on the survivor if they get downed. His map pressure makes up for his chainsaw being mediocre against decent survivors.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421472#Comment_1421472

    Yea, because you say such constructive things, usually you make a bait post and abandon it soon after if the replies you get aren't what you want, lmao.

    I was honestly surprised to see him actually responding in his own thread lol.

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421477#Comment_1421477

    I was honestly surprised to see him actually responding in his own thread lol.

    I made the mistake of responding to Senzu in particular. A mistake I won't make again in the future. In general he's quite condescending to people who disagree with him and is particularly so towards me because he doesn't like my opinions.

    I'll respond and have a discussion with anyone who wants to have a discussion, but when I catch myself arguing with someone who just wants to argue ignoring the original points or logic as a whole I simply stop wasting my time.

    It's a general rule people of the forums should follow when interacting with an argumentative person.

    Simply don't interact with them.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1422042#Comment_1422042

    I made the mistake of responding to Senzu in particular. A mistake I won't make again in the future. In general he's quite condescending to people who disagree with him and is particularly so towards me because he doesn't like my opinions.

    I'll respond and have a discussion with anyone who wants to have a discussion, but when I catch myself arguing with someone who just wants to argue ignoring the original points or logic as a whole I simply stop wasting my time.

    It's a general rule people of the forums should follow when interacting with an argumentative person.

    Simply don't interact with them.

    It's also weird they think you live on here? when is a post considered abandoned? Or is it just called I have better ######### to do and the post has ran its course?

  • @MongolPSR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1422118#Comment_1422118

    It's also weird they think you live on here? when is a post considered abandoned? Or is it just called I have better ######### to do and the post has ran its course?

    Can't comment all the time at work lol

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421979#Comment_1421979

    Yes it does, the game is the easiest it has ever been for killer with the sweeping map changes etc, giving the strongest killers in the game who already had an easy time before those changes is the only valid way of balancing that, sorry your bias doesn't allow you to see that.

    It's more your bias if you think survivor role is harder than killer role lmao, at least I know now that you are entitled whiny survivor main.

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421990#Comment_1421990

    It's more your bias if you think survivor role is harder than killer role lmao, at least I know now that you are entitled whiny survivor main.

    Saying that the game is the easiest it has ever been for Killer (which is true, come on) does not contradict with the statement that Survivor is easier than Killer.

    Sure Killer is harder to play, its the 1 in the 1v4. But the game has become so much easier for Killer. Like, just look at Ruin - Killers are doing fine without old Ruin. This would not have been possible to think about 2 years ago.

    And it is just logical to nerf the strong(er) Killers when the game becomes easier for Killer.

    Its just hilarious that repeating "Billy is the most balanced Killer" seems to have the effect that Killer players dont think that he will ever be nerfed. Especially when the quote "Billy is the most balanced Killer" is repeated since 3 years or so.

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1421990#Comment_1421990

    It's more your bias if you think survivor role is harder than killer role lmao, at least I know now that you are entitled whiny survivor main.

    What are you talking about? No one said any role is easier than the other, you guys need to stop assuming that saying something is the easiest it's been means I'm saying it's easier than the other role, this happens everytime I say killer is the easiest it's ever been, you guys sure like to put words into my mouth :)


    and the fact you got upvotes on that comment really shows where this forum currently is rn lmao.

  • I find it funny that the nerf would effect his mindgames and his more interesting playstyles, such at cracked billy or double marks billy, but leaves the braindead playstyle of: rev behind a survivor, intact... which I find really dumb and frustrating to go against.

1 2 ›