Genuine Question: What Does the Game Even Expect From Me here??

Let me set the scene:

Dwight is dead, I've got two Claudettes on hooks, and a Nea MIA. Nea saves Claud 1, I come back and purposely choose to down Nea instead of Claud 1, and hook her. Claud 1 saves Claud 2. I run into Claud 1 and pursue, she saves Nea in front of me and I down Claud 1. I pick her up...

And DS happens. I genuinely don't have the slightest idea what the "right" play was here. I went out of my way to pursue the one who had been off the hook the longest amount of time, but gg ez killer you tunneled anyway. I genuinely don't know what the game expected me to do there, I went for the "fairest" plays I could and still the anti-tunnel perk smacked me for it.

What was I supposed to do here?

Comments

  • That's entirely the point of why DS is still busted and not an anti-tunnel perk. It punishes you for playing well even when you didn't tunnel. It's a 60 second abusable invulnerability perk.

    Why we haven't changed DS to deactivate once you do any action other than running/vaulting/pallet dropping etc the world will never know. The survivor should be having to decide if he thinks he's safe enough and not being tunneled to start working on the objective or making a save.

  • @Blueberry said:

    That's entirely the point of why DS is still busted and not an anti-tunnel perk. It punishes you for playing well even when you didn't tunnel. It's a 60 second abusable invulnerability perk.

    Why we haven't changed DS to deactivate once you do any action other than running/vaulting/pallet dropping etc the world will never know. The survivor should be having to decide if he thinks he's safe enough and not being tunneled to start working on the objective or making a save.

    Honestly I'd change it to "lasts 60 seconds or when someone else is hooked after you are unhooked, whichever happens first." If it's truly supposed to be an anti-tunnel perk, then turn it off when it's clear the killer isn't tunneling. As is, it's like, here I am being as nice as I'm capable of being as a murderer and the game has decided it's not nice enough! It's not my fault that Nea went down quickly (well, seeing as I have MYC it kind of was but I digress), but here I am actively letting Claud 2 get a moment off the hook and it bites me in the ass.

    Admittedly I have used DS in maybe 3 games ever in my countless survivor games, so I'm definitely of the opinion it's not a "must have" perk, but even so - if it could be in play I do my damndest to be nice and not tunnel - hell, even if there's no obsession I STILL try to not tunnel because I know when I'm surviving it's not fun getting tunneled. But here I am doing everything but letting them make a full recovery, not slugging, etc...and the game's just decided I was too mean of a killer, five second time out. Just gets frustrating when it's clear to anyone that looks I'm not doing what the perk is intended to counter. If I do tunnel someone by accident, sure, I get it, DS me and let's go. When I'm making the nicest options available...

  • I am pretty sure that the Devs have recently mentioned on the forums that it they never labeled DS as an anti-tunnel perk. Players were the ones who bestowed that title upon it. I guess it is just an over powered perk that forces you to slug. One of them did mention that they are looking into ways to make it more difficult to abuse. They're probably stocking up on potatoes before they reveal any changes in preparation for all the salt they are going to get.


  • Slug claud 1 and nea. It sucks for nea but not your fault she got cocky with her DS. Leave them both for a sec and hunt for the final claud. It's not fun for the survivors to be in that position but it's all down to that claud not respecting the killer by unhooking straight up in your face. There is a reason safe unhooking is an actual thing in terms of BP and game points. Because of her decision the last of her team would basically be out of action as a final claud is left hiding, hoping you don't find her.

    It's really rare for them to have unbreakable. If you can't find the final claud or she gets away and you want to give up chase. Return to them. DS is normally gone by then and the nea who was off first will probably have crawled off entirely to the corner of the map where she will most likely be healed by the other claud eventually.


    That would be my solution. It's not a perfect solution. I personally always thought DS should be an actual visible weapon item. Like a knife or glass shard but they changed it to this perk instead. I don't have issue with it because as a rule I always persue multiple downs or injuries then hook.

  • Devs have stated DS is not considered an anti tunnel perk. Which in my opinion makes it worse. They basically gave survivors an abusable FU perk.

  • @Flatskull said:

    Slug claud 1 and nea. It sucks for nea but not your fault she got cocky with her DS. Leave them both for a sec and hunt for the final claud. It's not fun for the survivors to be in that position but it's all down to that claud not respecting the killer by unhooking straight up in your face. There is a reason safe unhooking is an actual thing in terms of BP and game points. Because of her decision the last of her team would basically be out of action as a final claud is left hiding, hoping you don't find her.

    It's really rare for them to have unbreakable. If you can't find the final claud or she gets away and you want to give up chase. Return to them. DS is normally gone by then and the nea who was off first will probably have crawled off entirely to the corner of the map where she will most likely be healed by the other claud eventually.

    That would be my solution. It's not a perfect solution. I personally always thought DS should be an actual visible weapon item. Like a knife or glass shard but they changed it to this perk instead. I don't have issue with it because as a rule I always persue multiple downs or injuries then hook.

    @csandman1977 said:

    Devs have stated DS is not considered an anti tunnel perk. Which in my opinion makes it worse. They basically gave survivors an abusable FU perk.

    I've played the game long enough to remember the original DS (albeit post duration nerf), which effectively turned the game into "hey, you know how you need to down people up to 12 times to win? Try 16!" The nerfs and reworks to it have turned it into a perk, that, whether the devs meant to do it or not, discourages tunneling. That being said, if it's not intended to be an anti-tunnel then I strongly question why they're ok having a "survivor can do no wrong for a minute after being unhooked" perk. I'd love a "killer can do no wrong once a match for a minute after hooking a survivor" perk...but as is, it's just one more reason why I don't put DS in my own builds...too much potential for abuse.

  • The game expects you to lose.

    You can just slug everything in sight, though. That's the counter to a lot of the current meta.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Devs have stated DS is not considered an anti tunnel perk. Which in my opinion makes it worse. They basically gave survivors an abusable FU perk.

    That is why when I play against obvious swf, I have no reservations with tunneling and slugging. I just wish we could tell 100% that they're a swf in the lobby so I can best prepare myself with my best Killer and add-ons. It's only fair since they get the advantage of communication and coordination.

    They would never do that since swf would cry about it.

  • @LordRegal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1329576#Comment_1329576

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1329579#Comment_1329579

    I've played the game long enough to remember the original DS (albeit post duration nerf), which effectively turned the game into "hey, you know how you need to down people up to 12 times to win? Try 16!" The nerfs and reworks to it have turned it into a perk, that, whether the devs meant to do it or not, discourages tunneling. That being said, if it's not intended to be an anti-tunnel then I strongly question why they're ok having a "survivor can do no wrong for a minute after being unhooked" perk. I'd love a "killer can do no wrong once a match for a minute after hooking a survivor" perk...but as is, it's just one more reason why I don't put DS in my own builds...too much potential for abuse.

    God I hated old DS. But I could of tolerated it if it was an ultra rare item myself. At least it would of had rarity, be visible to killers and could be depleted.


    It's dumb. Yeah. I agree. but dumb stuff that grant an advantage is a part of the game of DBD. Same with exposure or moris. This is mostly because the game is so perk reliant-and frankly over stuffed with perks- while being very, very under developed in literally every other way such as stuff on maps, offerings and items ectr ectr. In some cases add ons-eg: bubba- I don't see DS getting removed, mostly because getting unhooked even safely sort of cause a ring of easily tracked down death for the unhooked. Even for good survivors.


    It's dumb but perks kind of band aid that problem. But then again the ruin band aid was ripped off. So who knows.

  • Keeping Claudette slugged. Sounds pretty easy to me.

    But of course you can also open Thread 3000 about DS because you are not patient enough.

  • DS is not an Anti-tunnel Perk and what did you expect? Only because you got one sacrificed and 2 on hook the game should go easy on you?

    That Claudette used a powerful one-time use perk to save Nea, you could have easily predicted that Perk and slugged or just take the stun and then go into chasing, Claudette now can’t use DS again. There are toxic uses of DS but this does not seem like one of it.

    also you stated you were doing the „right thing“ when you decided to go for Nea as to not tunnel... but the devs have stated many times that tunneling is a legit strategy, and it has been proven to be very rewarding..

  • It's obviously to have a stopwatch on standby to start when someone is unhooked and you can know when it's safe to hook them again.

  • I mean in that scenario you slug

    Or you know just take the DS

    DS is not an insta loss. I bet you still wiped the floor with them after the DS

    I agree that DS is a trouble perk but people tend to be a bit overdramatic about it sometime

    DS by it's nature is an anti momentum perk but by the sounds of it you already had so much momentum that it really didn't matter

  • @AvisDeene said:

    I am pretty sure that the Devs have recently mentioned on the forums that it they never labeled DS as an anti-tunnel perk. Players were the ones who bestowed that title upon it. I guess it is just an over powered perk that forces you to slug. One of them did mention that they are looking into ways to make it more difficult to abuse. They're probably stocking up on potatoes before they reveal any changes in preparation for all the salt they are going to get.

    (@csandman1977 ) Yeah, they said it came from the community, but referred to the Q&A about the DS change, saying "this is the only time it was said", and this is pretty much the initial callout to be an anti tunnel perk. That wasn't raised by the players (article linked, screenshot of the relevant part below)

    @not_Queen said:

    People of the Fog,

    Decisive Strike is one of Laurie Strode’s unique perks, which was released with Chapter II: HALLOWEEN in October of 2016. We introduced Decisive Strike as a perk option to help give Survivors a second wind, and an opportunity to escape their inevitable demise.

    Over the course of the last few years, Decisive Strike has been a point of contention amongst our community, and as a result, the perk has had an interesting journey since its inception.

    Decisive Strike has gone through some minor changes to arrive at its current state. Additionally, we have also prototyped entire reworks of the perk, some that we previously spoke of with the community. Ultimately, most of these ideas were shelved as we felt that they did not retain the essence of the perk, nor did they provide an overall improvement to the current version.

    Identifying Community Frustrations

    To find a solution through which Decisive Strike would be valuable to our gameplay, we had to better understand our players’ irritations towards the perk. Here is a summary of our findings:

    • Up to four Decisive Strikes in a match: This perk can take a lot of the Killer’s time and completely break their momentum. In combination with other frustrations, this often comes back as a point of resentment for most Killers who face a Survivor team with Decisive Strike.
    • Risk/Reward: Not much of a downside using the perk, yet a huge advantage when used successfully.
    • Dribbling: This is when the Killer intermittently drops a Survivor to avoid the Decisive Strike trigger.
    • Obsessions: With only a handful of Survivor obsession perks available, it was often clear when at least one Survivor was running Decisive Strike. Killers would tend to actively avoid the obsession, or alternatively tunnel the obsession, forcing them to burn the perk early in the match.

    The New and Improved Decisive Strike

    For the new iteration of Decisive Strike, we have introduced certain conditions and outcomes for using the perk, while retaining the core concept of providing a second chance at survival for those who successfully use it.

    The trade-off for using Decisive Strike comes at the risk of suddenly becoming the Killer’s latest obsession. The concept of changing the obsession while a match is in progress is something completely new to Dead by Daylight and is sure to create some interesting situations when combined with other obsession perks.

    • Perk starts inactive: No longer usable from the start of the match on a first down.
    • New condition: In a trial, any Survivor that has the perk equipped can activate and use Decisive Strike if they meet the condition - being saved from a hook or unhooking themselves.
    • Decisive Strike will only stay active for 40/50/60 seconds after being unhooked. This window of opportunity (gag) gives the Survivor only a limited time frame in which to trigger the perk after escaping the hook.
    • Decisive Strike skill checks will trigger during the pickup. This decision was made to help avoid dribbling and reduce the amount of time wasted for the Killer.
    • The skill check area will be slightly larger to make it considerably more accessible to those who occasionally struggle with hitting skill checks.
    • Stunning the Killer with Decisive Strike will result in the Killer dropping the Survivor.
    • After successfully using Decisive Strike, you will immediately become the obsession. This will remove the obsession from any other player, and any perks that refer to the obsession will now refer to you.

    We believe these changes should help enrich the player experience for both Killers and Survivors. We’re excited to get your feedback regarding our new and improved Decisive Strike perk.

    These changes will be implemented in the next update.

    See you in the Fog.

    The Dead by Daylight Game Design Team

    Untitled Image

    Beneath that: the game didn't expect anything from you. We simply just can wait until it gets fixed or accept that this perk is a pretty powerful offensive weapon for survivors, not a passive protection perk

  • Killers just don't have counters to all these superhuman perks

  • So, hear me out, we just run a slugging Spirit build. Suddenly, no more DS. I think that is the best solution 😂