Where is the fear?

Not gonna rant about nerf/ buffs for anybody. Honestly though, the killers have no imposing presence. Yes there is the not wanting to be hit, but that aside where is the sense of fear from our perspective. Far to often I see teammates running around like the attention is a joke. Working as a team is a fundamental part of winning, but mobbing a killer takes away from the idea they are the threat. Again not calling for killer buffs just some mechanics to keep the theme in perspective. I know ima get some $#!+ on this but I think a person should feel desperate to escape a chase, stealth is a tool afterall.

Comments

  • But there is fear! Killers fear all the time, as the game was intended to be.

  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Not gonna rant about nerf/ buffs for anybody. Honestly though, the killers have no imposing presence. Yes there is the not wanting to be hit, but that aside where is the sense of fear from our perspective. Far to often I see teammates running around like the attention is a joke. Working as a team is a fundamental part of winning, but mobbing a killer takes away from the idea they are the threat. Again not calling for killer buffs just some mechanics to keep the theme in perspective. I know ima get some $#!+ on this but I think a person should feel desperate to escape a chase, stealth is a tool afterall.

    The fear is there . Its just on the killer's POV. Especially scary are the jumpscare streamers with legacy. Thats a big no no for me.

  • I know I totally spooked a Clown once by surprise Pallet Dropping on him while he was carrying a Survivor, that must've been scary.

  • @Mrrgle_the_Mediocre said:
    I know I totally spooked a Clown once by surprise Pallet Dropping on him while he was carrying a Survivor, that must've been scary.

    I used to be jumpscared more as killer with the sudden plank drops a lot more oftenly than as a survivor though.

  • @pauloandrade22 said:

    @Mrrgle_the_Mediocre said:
    I know I totally spooked a Clown once by surprise Pallet Dropping on him while he was carrying a Survivor, that must've been scary.

    I used to be jumpscared more as killer with the sudden plank drops a lot more oftenly than as a survivor though.

    So true.

  • @RSB said:

    @pauloandrade22 said:

    @Mrrgle_the_Mediocre said:
    I know I totally spooked a Clown once by surprise Pallet Dropping on him while he was carrying a Survivor, that must've been scary.

    I used to be jumpscared more as killer with the sudden plank drops a lot more oftenly than as a survivor though.

    So true.

    yeah.

  • Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.
  • @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    As a both main survivors scare me the most . I mostly lose because my team was bad for example and i had to use the hatch or i went with the ship. when the team is good its an easy game though.

  • @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    I only chase the killer when I'm running Detectives Hunch for the tokens, otherwise only if i'm trying to get closer for bbq.

  • powerbats said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    I only chase the killer when I'm running Detectives Hunch for the tokens, otherwise only if i'm trying to get closer for bbq.

    Yeah that makes sense
  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Not gonna rant about nerf/ buffs for anybody. Honestly though, the killers have no imposing presence. Yes there is the not wanting to be hit, but that aside where is the sense of fear from our perspective. Far to often I see teammates running around like the attention is a joke. Working as a team is a fundamental part of winning, but mobbing a killer takes away from the idea they are the threat. Again not calling for killer buffs just some mechanics to keep the theme in perspective. I know ima get some $#!+ on this but I think a person should feel desperate to escape a chase, stealth is a tool afterall.

    the fear happens when you run dead hard and you use it but it doesn't register and the killer downs you but you all ready used Decisive strike and the idiot random survivors waste your adrenaline while the killer is carrying you.

  • What did you expect from a bully simulator?

  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Not gonna rant about nerf/ buffs for anybody. Honestly though, the killers have no imposing presence. Yes there is the not wanting to be hit, but that aside where is the sense of fear from our perspective. Far to often I see teammates running around like the attention is a joke. Working as a team is a fundamental part of winning, but mobbing a killer takes away from the idea they are the threat. Again not calling for killer buffs just some mechanics to keep the theme in perspective. I know ima get some $#!+ on this but I think a person should feel desperate to escape a chase, stealth is a tool afterall.

    the fear happens when you run dead hard and you use it but it doesn't register and the killer downs you but you all ready used Decisive strike and the idiot random survivors waste your adrenaline while the killer is carrying you.

    The risk of running a 2nd chance crutch build.
  • You should have limited sight as survivor (Update the frking fog) and the heartbeat should be quieter, then there will be fear.

  • probaply went on vacation or plays Deathgarden.

  • Can't argue that, would love to get a 1st person view though, add that horror movie feel of looking over your shoulder 
  • Can't argue that, would love to get a 1st person view though, add that horror movie feel of looking over your shoulder while fixing a gen
  • You want fear? Play Wraith without lightburn add-on or lightborn against 4x SWF with 4x DS, SB, SC, 2x BT and 2x unbreakable + 4 flashlights.

    You'll wake up in the middle of the night, screaming and covering your eyes.
  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Not gonna rant about nerf/ buffs for anybody. Honestly though, the killers have no imposing presence. Yes there is the not wanting to be hit, but that aside where is the sense of fear from our perspective. Far to often I see teammates running around like the attention is a joke. Working as a team is a fundamental part of winning, but mobbing a killer takes away from the idea they are the threat. Again not calling for killer buffs just some mechanics to keep the theme in perspective. I know ima get some $#!+ on this but I think a person should feel desperate to escape a chase, stealth is a tool afterall.

    You cant talk about fear if you dont wanna talk about buffs/nerf.

    In an assymetrical game where the survivor is the powerrole and can 1vs1 a killer, ofc the killer isnt feared.
    Its just sad, I miss the old days of DBD

  • @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    Personal feeling?
    Usually in other horror games you would fear the "killer" because he surprised you, aka jumpscare., which is almost impossible due to heartbeat, third person view and red killer stance (only exception myers jumpscare build) OR because of his unbelievable power to end your life if you are found. Well in DBD survivors run in front of the killer and click at him with the flashlight because they know they have plenty of safezones to abuse, countles of pallets to drop before they enter a state where the killer can hurt them.
    The only fear as survivor thats left is the fear to fail at the looping by doing a mistake

  • Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    Personal feeling?
    Usually in other horror games you would fear the "killer" because he surprised you, aka jumpscare., which is almost impossible due to heartbeat, third person view and red killer stance (only exception myers jumpscare build) OR because of his unbelievable power to end your life if you are found. Well in DBD survivors run in front of the killer and click at him with the flashlight because they know they have plenty of safezones to abuse, countles of pallets to drop before they enter a state where the killer can hurt them.
    The only fear as survivor thats left is the fear to fail at the looping by doing a mistake

    Again, you are talking about a part of the survivor population. I can assure you there are many others who get quite scared of the killers, there are plenty of videos on youtube or some streamers who prove my point.
    Not all horror games scare equally.
  • I understand balance is not something we will see anytime soon as each update seems to switch favor. And by all means they need to keep tweaking each, but I do think aspects of play could be improved by adding new interactions not a one sided boost. The devs talked about wanting players to have access to more information during the match. Now instead of making it a passive or a bandaid perk, why not implement an object or item to the maps which provide that effect. That way it is earned and not a flat handout. 
    Examples: 
    Torture points-Slightly provides temporary aid while a survivor suffers( doesn't have to be offensive). Survivors must make skill checks or provide a aura ping on a random allie.

    Spy glass- a stationary object that highlights objects and allies  aura for a short time after 

    These are in no way perfect, I am aware. But surely the Devs got something better planned than "we fix you, now the other guy". I don't want an easy game, I just want some content both sides can appreciate 
  • Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Well, fear is a personal feeling, like many others. Some people fear the killers and some others don't, same way with other horror games/movies.
    I do agree though that chasing the killer and trying to make fun of it is pointless, survivors should focus on their tasks.

    Personal feeling?
    Usually in other horror games you would fear the "killer" because he surprised you, aka jumpscare., which is almost impossible due to heartbeat, third person view and red killer stance (only exception myers jumpscare build) OR because of his unbelievable power to end your life if you are found. Well in DBD survivors run in front of the killer and click at him with the flashlight because they know they have plenty of safezones to abuse, countles of pallets to drop before they enter a state where the killer can hurt them.
    The only fear as survivor thats left is the fear to fail at the looping by doing a mistake

    Fear is subjective period. Jumpscares do not equal fear either. You can put in suspense without jumpscares. Personally I feel more unsettled with paranormal movies than slasher movies, but somebody else might feel the opposite way.

    Not to mention that you get used to the game and it isn’t scary anymore and that goes with ANY horror game. They don’t have longevity when it comes to a scare factor. Maybe Alien Isolation does since it is a story mode but going through endless hours of playing DBD with other people and being trolled, it isn’t scary anymore :/
  • As a survivor I’m more afraid of other survivors than killers. #shook
  • HeroLives said:
    As a survivor I’m more afraid of other survivors than killers. #shook
    I agree. Survivors biggest enemy: other survivors. Because they can screw their teammates for good.
  • @HeroLives said:
    As a survivor I’m more afraid of other survivors than killers. #shook

    Im the same as you are .

  • Tsulan said:
    HeroLives said:
    As a survivor I’m more afraid of other survivors than killers. #shook
    I agree. Survivors biggest enemy: other survivors. Because they can screw their teammates for good.
    The gospel.mmhhmmmm
  • Play Outlast for 700 hours and we will see if it is still scary.
  • Where is the fear.... Nurse

  • Fear is subjective, tension is not. Since tension can be used to mimic fear my question is, where is the tension?
  • @Peasant said:
    Fear is subjective, tension is not. Since tension can be used to mimic fear my question is, where is the tension?

    The tension kicks in when you are looping the killer for 3 gens already and start to realize that there arent that many pallets left. Now the question is, how long can you stall him? Is it enough such that DS and adrenaline kick in or will you get camped to death for your looping crime?