2 weeks gap is way too long for releases of Tome levels

I know archives are just been introduced. But from the first Tome experience and seeing Level 4 challenges, I can suggest a change for releases.of Tome levels

Either they should unlock altogether. The ones who complete first, get to progress to next, and so on. That way everyone can complete at their own pace.

I don't really see the point of putting a time stamp to start of the levels, but if they are gonna be time based, levels could be released one week apart from each other. instead of 2 weeks. That should give plenty of time for level4 challenges till the rift closes.

Comments

  • I agree. One week apart would've been plenty. Two+ weeks apart leaves players bored and unhappy.

  • On one hand, I think it's a little bit wonky that there's a delay at all, since four Tome levels with 22 challenges each would be plenty to keep a lot of players busy for a while. I'm hoping that this is how future Tomes will drop, and that they just hedged with a staggered release for this one in order to iron out any big issues (like those unreasonable level 4 challenges that have surfaced already).

    On the other hand, this is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. If it were only a week's delay, or they had dropped everything at once, we'd still see people complaining, because they burned through all of it really quickly.

    In any case, I suspect the vast majority of players haven't completed level 1 of the tome yet. Remember that all the hardcore players on this forum are not remotely a reflection of the overall DBD player base, as we tend toward the extreme ends.

  • I think if they somehow were able to put more challenges in that 2 week gap it wouldn't be that bad.

    EDIT: Or more time consuming but more rewarding ones

  • Hmmmmm, it might be nice if daily rituals awarded Rift fragments.

  • @Rydog said:

    On one hand, I think it's a little bit wonky that there's a delay at all, since four Tome levels with 22 challenges each would be plenty to keep a lot of players busy for a while. I'm hoping that this is how future Tomes will drop, and that they just hedged with a staggered release for this one in order to iron out any big issues (like those unreasonable level 4 challenges that have surfaced already).

    On the other hand, this is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. If it were only a week's delay, or they had dropped everything at once, we'd still see people complaining, because they burned through all of it really quickly.

    In any case, I suspect the vast majority of players haven't completed level 1 of the tome yet. Remember that all the hardcore players on this forum are not remotely a reflection of the overall DBD player base, as we tend toward the extreme ends.

    I feel like whatever they do its gonna be "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. I can see your concern about rushing, and majority may not be hardcore gamer, but I also believe there are many players who already finished the first level.

    Yes they can't design content for hardcores only, but they shouldn't wait for the casual players. either. With releasing all of them at once, which all belong to same Tome, should give everyone all the time they need within the same rift.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    There are people (like me) who only can play in the night after work, that can´t play more than a couple hours/matches a day or only can play in the weekeends! Not everyone is a teenager with half the day to play videogames!

    The 2 week gap, is for people like us who still want to complete the tomes without the pressure of time or the need to sacrifice every other aspects of real life to get digitals rewards! (like sleeping or interact with other people like our own family)

    You'd still have the same amount of time to complete them. There'd actually be less pressure, because tome level 4 will have the hardest challenges but it only has three weeks in which those challenges can be completed for Rift progress. But level one, having been released first, has ten weeks. Level 3 will have six weeks.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    There are people (like me) who only can play in the night after work, that can´t play more than a couple hours/matches a day or only can play in the weekeends! Not everyone is a teenager with half the day to play videogames!

    The 2 week gap, is for people like us who still want to complete the tomes without the pressure of time or the need to sacrifice every other aspects of real life to get digitals rewards! (like sleeping or interact with other people like our own family)

    Sorry I am not making the connection. Why? Are you feeling compelled to do every challenge in one day? You can have as much as life outside the game, everyone does, that's why I am suggesting we should be able to complete the challenges at our own pace, by the time rift closes.

    Actually I find this 2 weeks apart releases more restricting, since they only give you 2 weeks or so to complete last level.

    Let's say I have a week off, why shouldn't I take that time to complete as many challenges as possible instead of waiting and loosing my free time on something else?

  • They said they don't want people to burn out completing all the tomes in no time. It's also a strategy to keep steady the playerbase during content droughts.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/820782#Comment_820782

    The devs stated in a stream that one of the reasons to not unlock the tomes is for avoid a player get burned, and I personally am glad that there are 2 weeks gap!

    This way I can Take my time to complete the challenges without seeing how those who plays the entire day in DBD left me behind, and even have time to search for videos or in the forums on how other people completed them, taking this 2 weeks gap to buy or level up perks that may need to complete the challenges and even rack up addons/offerings/moris for futree challenges without the pressure of having to complete them at the same time

    with the double points weekend I unlocked the essential perks for me on Claudette, now I leisurely am racking up addons and moris in my trapper, I only need that the effing BW give me the tier II and III on my "Sloppy Butcher" perk and im all set for the release of the second tome

    and I'm utterly happy I have the entire week without pressure to do so, im sure there are other people like me that are grateful for having the time do do so too!

    We clearly have different perspective. I can't really see what is the difference if you complete them in two weeks, some completed in a day or some completed in a month? You are left behind at what exactly? There is no competitive advantage here. The rewards are just cosmetics. And blood points always be earned one way or another. If you play once game in a day, you still continue earning that. Why feel pressure? I really can't understand sorry.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/820733#Comment_820733

    if someone have only a cople hours/matches a day to play and even not every sigle day of the week, for sure will have the same time to complete all the challenges that someone who plays more than a half the day not to mention not having the same skill (for succesfully doing so in a single match) of those who spent more than 28 hours a week (like your average streamer)

    If I only have time to play 2-4 matches a day and only have the skill to complete a single challenge a day, but "of course" I would have enough time to complete all of them in 2 weeks!(sarcasm off)

    not everyone have the same amount of time or skill to complete all challenges

    I guess that's good for you. It's terrible for me, because I travel in December. Level 4 will be released after I've left, so I probably won't get to touch it before the Rift closes. That's an entire level of challenges I won't be able to do to help me with the Rift, on top of not being able to earn Rift Fragments via XP during that time, either.

    I doubt I'm the only person who travels for the holidays. This time-gating screws a lot of people. If it were all released at once or within a week of each other, people could do it at their leisure whenever they have free time. Instead, there are people who will be unable to do some of them at all either because they travel/are busy or because the level 4 challenges are extremely difficult and three weeks won't give them enough time.

  • The only reason there is a delay is to make finishing the challenges less likely. Thats it. Therefore less auric cells earned by us and higher chance we spend real money on the pass again and or cosmetics. How anyone could be glad is beyond me? Have some self control and don't force yourself to play the game solely to unlock the tracks.


    The funny thing is you still level without the challenges but at a painfully slow pace. However, you will still need to level this slow way EITHER way because the challenges themselves won't be enough to reach max level. So the delay really IS pointless.


  • @White_Owl said:

    They said they don't want people to burn out completing all the tomes in no time. It's also a strategy to keep steady the playerbase during content droughts.

    That, I could understand. Keeping a steady playerbase could be a reason. I still wish they gave a chance at least to try it out for a rift season.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/820782#Comment_820782

    The devs stated in a stream that one of the reasons to not unlock the tomes is for avoid a player get burned, and I personally am glad that there are 2 weeks gap!

    This way I can Take my time to complete the challenges without seeing how those who plays the entire day in DBD left me behind, and even have time to search for videos or in the forums on how other people completed them, taking this 2 weeks gap to buy or level up perks that may need to complete the challenges and even rack up addons/offerings/moris for futree challenges without the pressure of having to complete them at the same time

    with the double points weekend I unlocked the essential perks for me on Claudette, now I leisurely am racking up addons and moris in my trapper, I only need that the effing BW give me the tier II and III on my "Sloppy Butcher" perk and im all set for the release of the second tome

    and I'm utterly happy I have the entire week without pressure to do so, im sure there are other people like me that are grateful for having the time do do so too!

    How would you be pressured if they unlocked all tomes at once? Just how? If you cant finish all tomes in 70 days when there's no time restriction between tomes, you would have even less chance completing all tomes in the current time restricted system. Unlocking all tomes at once wouldn't affect you in the slightest . Right now the tomes are gated at 2 weeks apart, if you finish 1 within 2 weeks, the rest of your precious free time in those 2 weeks are wasted cuz you cant go to the 2nd tome. But if they unlocked all tomes in one day, everyone could do them at their own pace, let it be finishing all 4 in one day or finishing 1 in 70 days, everyone can be happy.


    I honestly don't see the pressure here. It's not like you would get less time to complete; you'd still have 70 days to complete all tomes, nothing would change other than giving people more freedom on when they wanna finish the tomes. where do you get the pressure from? And just how exactly would you be left behind if the time restriction was lifted? I just can't understand your logic.


    Unless, you meant if you can't get all tomes finished, we better have a time restriction on it, so people who have a bit more time than you also can't finish, and only the teenagers with all the time in the world can finish, so you don't feel being left out as much.

  • I feel like another extra bad side effect for breaking up the tomes is that too many people will be on the same quests. If they were on different quests then maybe someone will be after chests and someone needs unhooks and more people will co-operate with their teammates. If you gate it and then release it later on, everyone will need unhooks and people will just fight for them and it won't be a fun time for anyone.


    If you want to avoid ppl getting burnt out, at least make the gap into 1 week so there's still a good amount of time for people to get ready for holiday, have different quests, and keep themselves entertained at the start. The closer people are to the end of the track, the more likely they'll want to buy the last few steps if they're missing them with only a day or two left. If they're really far because they got really bored of grinding for rifts in between the 2 weeks and didn't end up completing the last tome because there's not enough time, it will be hard to want to buy levels while feeling like they got cheated because there isn't enough time for that person.

  • I agree 100%. I've pretty much stopped playing since I finished the first level. 1 week apart would leave you with plenty of objectives and plenty of time to do them. That way you're not forced to play killer when you want to play survivor or vice versa.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I agree. One week apart would've been plenty. Two+ weeks apart leaves players bored and unhappy.

    Seconded