Behaviour is okay with racism?

Apparently, DBD's in game post chat is a safe place for racist hate speech.

In post game chat, a player called me a "#########" <--- N word. I reported it and did NOT receive a follow-up email.

5 or 6 days later, the player is in my match which I find odd, because I assumed Behaviour took racism seriously.

I send in another report asking why this person hasn't been banned. While I'm doing this, in the post game chat this person is calling me "this #########" <---- N word, to the other players.

I took a screenshot and sent in another report. This should solidify, undeniably, that this person's racist attitude and hate speech will not stop and must be permanently banned.

This is what the dev's sent me...

Hello, 

Thank you for letting us know about this. We are sorry to hear that other players are ruining your experience. 

As much as we would like to help, I am afraid that we are unable to as we only handle support towards in-game concerns. Only our moderation team can examine and check these submissions further, and I am sad to say that we do not have the means to redirect this request directly to them. 

In order for them to be able to receive your report, please select "Additional player report information" as your issue when submitting a request using the Dead by Daylight Help Center. Once you have done this, they will leave a message on the ticket and will start investigating your report. 

As always, thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have other concerns, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. 

Stay safe out there... 

The Dead by Daylight Team


I took the steps they told me to take and I'm disturbed to report they have not responded to me, nor has that person been banned...

So, is Behaviour okay with racism?

I can't answer that, but with black people being targeted and murdered by white supremacist, I thought Behaviour would take racism a little more seriously.

This post will be deleted when that player is permanently banned.

Thank you for your attention.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I mean, for how modern day world works, you have to be the most politically correct, i highly doubt it (and of course racism is not ok).

    The reason they don’t ban is because the report system is basically useless (they can come up with how many stats they want, but most of the bans are due to legacy cheating).

  • I would recommend reporting them on Steam or whatever platform you are playing on. Steam takes Hate speech very seriously and would not let anyone get away with that.

  • First of all, that's a silly thing to ask and you shouldn't jump to conclusions like that.

    How long has it been since you sent that report? I'm sure they get flooded with all sorts of reports, many of which being pointless raging from salty players, so it might take a while for them to find your report.

  • We certainly do not tolerate racism and providing things are reported people do get punished - please be aware, that this is initially on a temporary basis on an increasing scale until a permanent ban is reached.

    I can assure you that we take all reports of this matter very seriously. And as always I urge everyone to use the In Game Report system (this is MANDATORY, and we cannot act on reports without this being made), you may then use the Additional Player Report section of the support form to forward any additional evidence you might have:

    Please tell us why you are reporting this player

    I'm very sorry that this has happened and caused you distress.

  • Ever look at a game case? Specifically games that offer online play involving some means of communication.

    They say "online interactions not rated" for a reason.

    People are people. Words are words. You don't have to like them all. If someone says something you don't like, you can leave the post game chat. Nobody is forcing you to stay and read what they have to say.

    Do not blame the Devs over the "actions" of other people. Especially when those "actions" are just mere words.

  • They do ban people for using slurs like that in post-game chat. You just need to use the in-game report function, and it'll save the chat log and the player's ID and attach that information to the report. Sounds like you used their website to report it, and I don't think that's ever been the way to report in-game hate speech.

  • I'm so sorry a random person on the internet that you have never met before and will likely never know who he is said a mean word to you. Thank you for spending upward 5 minutes complaining about it on the forums to virtue signal to no one. Dont force developers to waste time on things that dont matter to gameplay. Hopefully than they can make the patch happen on switch instead.

  • today a guy called on of my teammates this word too but in spanish, i reported but this game should have a instant feedback report so we guarantee they got punished

  • Heres what I've learned in my 45 years of socail interaction on this planet. Words only have the power you give them. (Putting aside musical chants which have been proven to affect the brain)

    If i took offense every single time someone called me a name, i wouldnt have internet and i wouldnt leave my house. Ever. I learned early to grow a thick skin because i hated to feel bad all the time.

    Anonymous people are like children, cruel for no reason. Who cares what they say or think.

    No im not excusing it. Just block it out. Yout life will be so much more rewarding.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Heres what I've learned in my 45 years of socail interaction on this planet. Words only have the power you give them. (Putting aside musical chants which have been proven to affect the brain)

    If i took offense every single time someone called me a name, i wouldnt have internet and i wouldnt leave my house. Ever. I learned early to grow a thick skin because i hated to feel bad all the time.

    Anonymous people are like children, cruel for no reason. Who cares what they say or think.

    No im not excusing it. Just block it out. Yout life will be so much more rewarding.

    Some people suffer from some sort of trauma or conditioning that makes it extremely difficult to not react negatively to certain words. It may be easy for some of us to block them out and continue having a good time, but some words, especially slurs, represent harmful ideologies that have caused certain groups of people physical and psychological harm. It would require some intense therapy to take away a word's power over someone that has experienced such trauma over the course of their life

  • Ngl bro it's just a word, it ain't a big deal. Way more ways to be toxic in this game aside from just calling someone the n word and honestly you can just move on to the next match and you'll end up forgetting it in another hour as if it never happened, there's a reason I don't pay attention to the post game chat unless I want to see someone I know is salty.

  • @Exerlin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/810607#Comment_810607

    Some people suffer from some sort of trauma or conditioning that makes it extremely difficult to not react negatively to certain words. It may be easy for some of us to block them out and continue having a good time, but some words, especially slurs, represent harmful ideologies that have caused certain groups of people physical and psychological harm. It would require some intense therapy to take away a word's power over someone that has experienced such trauma over the course of their life

    So, therefore its up to random canadian Devs to implement and go through probably 100s of reports of people saying mean because a person could have emotional attachments to words... What a waste of time and resources that has little to no return on investment. MOST people are emotionally stable enough to handle a few words if they are playing a game where people ARE LITERALLY MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WITH RUSTY WEAPONS. So your main line of argument is that a few words are more harmful to you physically and mentally than seeing deranged killers murdering helpless men and women. Your priorities are not right.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    This conversation shouldn’t be devolving into how the OP should or shouldn’t feel about words or racism. None us know the full extent of their personal circumstances or background, so no one has the right to advise what is the right way or the wrong way the OP should be emotionally responding to racism.

    THIS.

    Definitely continue to report racist behavior, OP. I do it whenever it happens. I don't expect Behaviour to send me some sort of personal follow-up or involve me further in the process, but I trust that they are reviewing chat logs and taking action.

  • @cripplemagic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/810637#Comment_810637

    So, therefore its up to random canadian Devs to implement and go through probably 100s of reports of people saying mean because a person could have emotional attachments to words... What a waste of time and resources that has little to no return on investment. MOST people are emotionally stable enough to handle a few words if they are playing a game where people ARE LITERALLY MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WITH RUSTY WEAPONS. So your main line of argument is that a few words are more harmful to you physically and mentally than seeing deranged killers murdering helpless men and women. Your priorities are not right.

    I mean, yeah. That's what they should do if they want to entertain the most amount of people possible. I think it's pretty safe to say that more people are negatively impacted by ######### using slurs than people are positively impacted by being said #########.

  • @Exerlin said:

    They do ban people for using slurs like that in post-game chat. You just need to use the in-game report function, and it'll save the chat log and the player's ID and attach that information to the report. Sounds like you used their website to report it, and I don't think that's ever been the way to report in-game hate speech.

    I used the in-game report in both instances.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/810576#Comment_810576

    The OP isn’t blaming BHVR for another players actions or words. They’re simply expressing a very valid concern whether BHVR supports or ignores racism. They obviously DON’T tolerate racism, but it’s natural for the OP to question this if they’ve made a few reports against the same player, provided evidence, and is yet to get an outcome.

    This is correct.

  • Just ignore them. That's what I do. People like that are intentionally trying to make you mad, so don't let them. That's why they do that trash.

    Edit: Not saying that this kind of behavior is acceptable in any way, but it seems like all you can really do is wait for BHVR to respond to your ticket. Sucks, but that's life.

  • The person has probably been warned with a soft ban first and foremost. This would most likely scare the person into behaving proper from there on in. Sometimes it has no effect at all. It depends on the individual. I assume you are upset because you havent seen a red game ban on his profile yet?

    This wont happen I feel until 3 soft bans have been applied. You wont see a soft ban been marked on a persons account. Im sure this player has been punished with a soft ban warning.

  • Oh, you never get any sort of feedback from those. I'm willing to bet that was either his first offense (which is why you saw him a bit later), or your report hasn't been gotten to yet and he's about to get a pretty big punishment. I know that they used to ban DCers in waves, and they might do the same for people like this. This might be a good question to ask a mod like @MandyTalk though

  • It's amazing how many people are casually excusing racism in this thread alone.

    Words do matter, especially if they have a racist history attached to them. Something that might be "just a word" to you (I hope the people saying the n word is "just a word" are Black, because otherwise I worry that yall probably use it yourselves) can hold a lot more significance to someone else.

  • @Mandy said:

    We certainly do not tolerate racism and providing things are reported people do get punished - please be aware, that this is initially on a temporary basis on an increasing scale until a permanent ban is reached.

    I can assure you that we take all reports of this matter very seriously. And as always I urge everyone to use the In Game Report system (this is MANDATORY, and we cannot act on reports without this being made), you may then use the Additional Player Report section of the support form to forward any additional evidence you might have:

    https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=191426

    I'm very sorry that this has happened and caused you distress.

    Thank you for your concern and feedback. I read the banning time steps that are taken before it is made permanent.

    I hope that, even if the first ban wasn't activated, the second instance of hate speech will be taken into consideration.

  • @Exerlin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/810700#Comment_810700

    Oh, you never get any sort of feedback from those. I'm willing to bet that was either his first offense (which is why you saw him a bit later), or your report hasn't been gotten to yet and he's about to get a pretty big punishment. I know that they used to ban DCers in waves, and they might do the same for people like this. This might be a good question to ask a mod like @MandyTalk though

    Okay, I will keep an eye out, thank you.

  • Just wow, I can't believe that there are people who advocate to ignore racism. The internet is not an unlawful space.

    @then4321

    It is sad to read that, I received the same email for reporting death threats made against me and my family with actually people explaining that they visit the country I live in frequently and how they will hunt me down etc... i looked the player up a few months later, no game ban on the profile or anything so I guess the person didn't reach his threshold yet disappointing to say the least.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    It's amazing how many people are casually excusing racism in this thread alone.

    Words do matter, especially if they have a racist history attached to them. Something that might be "just a word" to you (I hope the people saying the n word is "just a word" are Black, because otherwise I worry that yall probably use it yourselves) can hold a lot more significance to someone else.

    It really is amazing. I am shocked how many people have commented, basically "who cares?"

  • @Endstille said:

    Just wow, I can't believe that there are people who advocate to ignore racism. The internet is not an unlawful space.

    @then4321

    It is sad to read that, I received the same email for reporting death threats made against me and my family with actually people explaining that they visit the country I live in frequently and how they will hunt me down etc... i looked the player up a few months later, no game ban on the profile or anything so I guess the person didn't reach his threshold yet disappointing to say the least.

    That is terrifying, I'm also sorry to hear that.

  • I once beated a streamer whilr I was playing survivor and after calling me lagswitcher (yes, as survivor) he started to throw all kinds of insults refering to europeans because aparently americans are a superior race. The things he said were not normal, were too many insults and he even kept comenting in my profile. I reported this in-game and by ticket and the guy is still streaming dbd and he never had a ban.

  • Some people apparently would much rather tell the victims to stop being victims than perpetrators to stop being perpetrators. Much like telling how ######### victims should have acted, what they should have done, or how they should feel about it than simply condemning the rapists.

  • For the next days I revised his steam profile and watched his streams and nothing happened to him apparently. I got a similar answer from behaviour as the creator of this thread.

  • Ok guys, we're going way too far here... Remember to keep discussions civil!

    To recap: Racism along other offences are taken seriously by the devs and us. There is a full team of ACM that take care of the reports made ingame. You can read about all the reportable offenses in this thread:

    @not_Queen said:

    Hello, good people of the fog!

    We now have a team Associate Community Managers, as well as an updated in-game report system.
    With your help, we will be able to find the players who are creating a bad game experience and punish them appropriately, making the game a better place.

    HOW TO REPORT A PLAYER

    You may only report things that happen directly to you or in a game that you were in.
    Reporting for other people is not allowed and these reports will be discarded.
    (ie. Reporting someone on behalf of a friend, streamer, or other)

    Fill the In-game report

    An In-game report MUST be made. This is not optional, and is a must to help us identify the person in your game as well as find any other evidence we need.

    Customer Support ticket?

    • Video evidence is required or heavily suggested for some offenses, please refer to the lists below.
    • Whilst you can report offenses directly to our support, please only do so for serious offenses like cheating, hacking, DOX/death threats.

    Discarded reports reasons

    THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

    • Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping
    • Tapping generators with ruin

    NOTE:
    We do not control anything that happens outside of Dead by Daylight.
    This includes private Steam messages/groups/names, PS4/XBOX messages, Discord messages, Twitch/social media interactions, etc. Anything that occurs on these platforms must be reported to the respective authorities.

    PERMANENT BANS

    List of bannable offenses

    Hacking in-game exclusives and / or legacy skins

    The acquiring of any in-game skin through anything other than official channels (ie. codes, giveaways, etc.)
    The possession of legacy skins without earning them. The cutoff to earn legacy skins happened on November 24, 2016. If a player has obtained legacy skins after this date, then it is considered cheating.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Cheated progress / modifying your save file

    We need the profile of the person you are reporting. Reportable via support team.
    Using any 3rd party software or other method to cheat your save file or any measure of progress contained within your save file. This includes using someone else’s save file.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Threats

    Excessive and serious threats against someone, including DOX threats, life threats, disclosing private information, etc.
    You can fill a support ticket to provide more information, Screenshots and video are optional, but highly recommended.
    Reminder: everything that happens out of the game should be reported to the appropriate platform. (ie: Twitch, Discord, Steam, Sony, Microsoft)
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Other Hacks

    In-game report under Unsportsmanlike is MANDATORY
    Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game, except if they have been whitelisted by us. We are not banning for the use of communication apps.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    TEMPORARY BAN

    List of bannable offenses

    24h -> 48h -> 1w -> Permanent

    This is a sliding scale and determined on a case-by-case basis. If an offense is considered to be particularly egregious, the duration of the ban may skip one or more steps in this process.

    Any previous permanent bans on your record will result in all future offenses being a permanent ban.

    Harassment: Communications Abuse

    • Insults, intimidation, hateful speech, repeated harassment
      In-game report REQUIRED

    Griefing: Intentional Gameplay Abuse

    • Working with the opposite team to gain an advantage or grief teammates
    • Targeting specific users repeatedly in order to ruin their game experience
    • Holding the game hostage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Exploits: Abusing bugs or errors in design to gain a competitive advantage

    • Advertising exploits
    • Exploit bugs, errors in design, or undocumented features to gain access to what otherwise would not be available or to obtain a competitive advantage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Specific exploits that we will ban for until they are resolved:

    • Bloodweb Progress/Prestige Exploit
    • 2+ Killer Exploits
    • Legion Filthy/Nasty Blade Exploit

    Unsportsmanlike Conduct

    • Botting
    • Lag switching
    • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
      For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    About Disconnects bans - DO NOT REPORT

    The escalation is now 1 week / 2 weeks / 4 weeks / Permanent ban

    BAN APPEALS

    Cannot be appealed

    • Temporary bans
    • Social Media (Forums, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
    • Fan sites / Fan groups

    Permanent bans : APPEALS

    Send a Ticket to support.deadbydaylight.com
    If the ban is an automated EAC ban, please contact EAC directly.

    Console bans

    The rules are the same as the PC bans

    Crossplatform ban evasion

    Players who have violated our rules multiple times leading to permanent bans could get their access revoked on any accounts they make if the player is seen committing bannable offenses after the very first permanent ban. The structure and severity of these bans are followed throughout any platform.

    Abuse of Support Services

    This includes making false support tickets and lying to support agents. Our agents are always here to help the community. However, those making false tickets just to get a step ahead of everyone else and take advantage hinders our ability to better help everyone. Penalties include suspension of your support services, up to a permanent ban of your in-game account.


    You can see there that for most of these offenses, an ingame report is MANDATORY. So please if you face some of these, take the time to report. ?️

    You'll not have a feedback for your reports, especially on the offenses that will cause a temporary ban, so it is misleading to assume that nothing is being done on these.

    We are sorry to see that some users have to face these kind of behavior on a post-game chat, and we always strive for a better and positive environment, but we need your help to report people ingame that disrupt the community with threats and harassments.