The problem with what's considered a "GG" and why that concept is twisted now a days...
the concept of a "gg" is twisted with some players
Let's real talk for a second about what makes the game a "good game" for both sides in a match. Cause after I had two matches from the same Killer, one where he destroyed my team and the other where he got destroyed as Spirit... has really opened my eyes to how people consider the game to be a "good game" and it actually makes me quite sad...
Ok, so let me open up the story here than focus on some other things that're kind of... not really ok I suppose? But we'll get into that later.
the first match with the same Killer (short)
So, for the first game I had with this Killer he played Plague with Ruin, Thanatophobia, and some other perks (No Dying Light.) Long story short, our entire team got destroyed because nobody seemed to understand how to... play against her despite the entire team (including me) being in Red Ranks? Like I too struggle with Plague cause i'm not the greatest Survivor, but I didn't expect the ENTIRE TEAM to also struggle...
But, long story short, we all got destroyed and after I was the last one to get downed, he vomits on me like 5 times while i'm downed (basically BMs me) than picks me up and says gg in the match and that was that.
Now here comes the problem in the next game with him
So, the next game is with the same guy actually... and he's playing Spirit instead this time. This Spirit had the same skin as a really toxic Spirit I've seen in Red Ranks, but this could just be entirely unrelated... anyways, I did ok for myself considering I didn't get downed by him surprisingly but still took heavy hits in the match and survived his chases...
The rest of the team got downed a fair bit of times, but we managed to all Survive up until the end when all the generators were finished. I know what someone is thinking after reading that (Oh, so he destroyed your team again and you're crying about it huh?)
Actually... the Ace he had wiggled out of his arm and looped her until the last generator was done... than he deadzoned himself into a corner with no hooks nearby and she waited until the EGC almost was over to hook him. We tried to save him but she wouldn't leave him until he was dead, after he was hooked, we all escaped and that was that.
Now, here's the issue... the tone shifted at the end. He wasn't happy with the results of the match and said it wasn't fun... "wasn't fun" it wasn't fun??? How wasn't it fun... Because you didn't 4k us with a crushing defeat...? I didn't make fun of him or anything post-chat, all I said to him was "If you're actually not happy with the results of this match after the previous match we had... than that's actually depressing..."
Than after that I said "Come on dude, at least you 1k'ed... how wasn't that a good game?" And now it all unfolds... lets talk about what I mean in the next segment below...
The "If I don't 4k it wasn't fun" argument...
Ok so after reading that entire essay above... you kind of get where i'm going with this here? If the Killer (at Red Ranks btw) wins with a 4k and a crushing defeat than we're all considered bad and it's a gg...
But if for example... that same Killer gets beat pretty bad at the end with some decent chases and downs... but didn't 4k... than the game suddenly isn't fun and it wasn't a gg? Wha... what???????????????????????
That makes literally no sense, at all... Like I get that people want to win, nobody likes losing... but if you can't find fun in a loss than I don't know what to say about that man... Like, I've lost a few times as Survivor and I didn't survive... but I still had some fun right? Unless it was a massive defeat where nobody tried and literally nothing happened... than it was fun to lose...
Like, not i'm starting to sound hypocritical but i'll get into that in a second from a Survivors perspective against Spirits and Nurses... and why it isn't fun MOST of the time... (And no, it isn't because of the Killer...)
But like... seriously... i'm not making this up... it wasn't fun to you... because you lost... but when you crush my team and BM me... than it was fun... like... sigh..... big depressed sigh...what a joke...
Now, lets talk about the other issue with survivors
So, that's the argument with some Killers... But here's the other issue with Survivors. Most Survivors don't GG at the end of the match if the die, mostly because they either left the game or they didn't have fun because it was too fast, they died fast, etc, etc...
Now... here's the bigger issue with Survivors. If the game ends in a crushing defeat, 8 out of 10 times nobody will say gg or thought it was fun... But it gets worse from say... my perspective these past 3 days playing Survivor a lot over Killer... and you start to see a pattern here...
A lot of Killers don't care if your teammates DC, before someone says (They're the Killer, they don't have to be nice... it would be nice if they were... but they don't have to) and yeah, that's understandable its up to them... But when you say the game was a "good game" at the end and you had fun... than things get a bit twisted here...
If for example like that first match with that guy... 2 of my teammates kill themselves because things are not going well, than me and one other guy has to suffer and gets destroyed and BM'ed... than its suddenly a GG for some Killers. Notice how I say some, some Killers will kind of understand how that isn't cool and will be like... less serious in the match to win afterwards... (Which they don't have to do)
But if you're gonna go full hard mode on for example... me when all 3 of my teammates DC and leave me to rot... than say it was a gg... than I just don't know what to say... Are you being like, funny? Or did you actually enjoy the entire game grinding to a halt because my 3 teammates DC'ed... and it was only fun because you won?
Like... what? And this issue stems from DCing in-general and people dying on hook, but its becoming a bigger issue now a days... and it was kind of similar a little bit back when I made a post on how the game was suffering heavily from it and I couldn't handle it anymore... and that was when I played Killer... people just DC'ed and left because the game wasn't going their way...
And now its happening again.
dedicated servers
This part is kind of irrelevant, but I wanted to add it in near the end here... What happened to that new DCing system we were supposed to get with Dedicated Servers? Like I know we're still in test 2 (Or I think we're it hasn't really been talked about since test 2 began... like... is this still a test or is this the real Dedicated Servers?)
and since test 2... I've noticed no improvement on the DCing crisis, it's still rampant and people still abuse the system to avoid things they don't wanna play against. This kind of ties into what makes a "gg" a gg... since it kind of becomes twisted in the end...
In conclusion, what really makes a "gg" a good game?
To me, a good game is when both sides had fun, the match was enjoyable, nobody was camped, tunneled off hook to death, the chases were decent and I even got a challenge and chased for a long time, etc.
For me as a Killer main, that's what I think is a good game... the game was fun if both sides had fun and it was a challenge to me personally... the same should go for if i'm a Survivor right? Well... no... sadly not. Like, I treat people in my matches the same way that I would want to be treated as playing Survivor... but that doesn't always reflect itself when I do play Survivor...
In fact, it hardly ever does... and I noticed that a lot when playing ANY rank of Survivor... Some Killers are just toxic and only want an "gg ez win" or something... some Killers just want a serious match and don't care if my team DC's... Some Killers are a bit more compassionate about that and tone it down for the team they're against...
And some Killers just don't care at all about the other side. Same goes for Survivors, some Survivors don't care about the other sides fun and if they enjoyed the game or not... And with everyone saying "gg" if they win and saying nothing or being angry if they don't... I think the concept of a "gg" is kind of... dead now isn't it?
Like, people can play however they want to play it's up to them and I have no right to force you to change or be more compassionate if you don't want to be... But think of it like this, for me, I treat everyone I face as Killer the same way as I want to be treated as a Survivor... Of course I'll sometimes use some broken add-ons to empty inventory with i'm prestiging or when i'm bored... but I won't be overly toxic about it and make people hate themselves for playing in the match...
And like unless its Rank Reset and i'm 4king to get back to Red Ranks... i'll 99% of the time give the last person the hatch or let people escape because I want to be nice about it...
Again, nobody has to do the same things I do... but being a bit nice for the other side can go a long way... and it can really reflect how they act towards others in the future when you do that as well :)
tl;dr
I'm sorry if this TL;DR doesn't really help you engage the conversation without reading that whole exposition dump above... but it's kind of hard to shove all of that into a short thing down here for anyone who doesn't care to read it...
So i'll just say this, to me, a good game is when both sides have fun, it's when everyone enjoyed the game and even if the add-ons were OP or something or the Killer was OP... i'll still treat you with kindness and more times than not let the last person escape...
You'd hope the same thing would happen for me when I play Survivor, but honestly, nobody has to do that if my entire team DCs because it's a spirit, and nobody has to play nice because my team lost someone instantly in the game... But you don't need to be overly toxic about it and BM us because our team got crushed...
Like with the story above, I had a similar issue with the concept of a "gg" for those two matches... a Killer destroyed my team as plague, BM'ed me, than killed me and said it was a "good game" unironically... Fast forward, that same Killer is who's in my lobby the literal next game I play... this time he's a spirit and HE gets crushed and only gets a 1k...
The game suddenly wasn't a "good game" because he didn't get an instant 4k....??????????
Like, the concept of a good game in this meta is quite twisted and isn't really a thing anymore... a lot of people really don't seem to get that these days.
Again, this is kind of short and a lot of people might take that last part the wrong way... so i'll try to explain myself a bit more if you're working off of the TL;DR and... thought something else from what I said...

Comments
My definition of a good game is one where everyone played well and fairly. I find that you can usually tell what kind of attitude your opponent(s) are playing with just from the way they play. If everyone is a good sportsman generally and puts in their best effort, I consider that a good game and say so, regardless of the outcome.
I only say gg if I genuinely thought it was a good game, because I like to be honest. Same thing in real life - if someone says, "How are you?" when I'm having a really difficult day emotionally, I'm not going to tell them I'm doing well. The furthest I'll go in the name of politeness is "I'm alright" or "Not so great, honestly, but it's okay". So when it comes to games, if I thought the game was good and everyone played well, I'll say so. If I face a bm'ing killer (whether I win or get crushed), or if I accidentally crush a baby killer, I don't really think of that as a good game - though in the latter case I might still say gg by way of encouragement.
What it comes down to, in my opinion, is that what constitutes a good game is highly subjective. And while I appreciate it when people say gg even though I know they had a bad time, I don't expect it, because I don't believe it's reasonable to expect someone to lie for the sake of upholding social convention. If they want to say gg, that's nice. If they don't, that's fine, I move on to the next game. Personally, I only say it if I feel it's warranted.
To be honest I see way less GG's from survivor side than killer. If killer crushes or not, unless the survivors bullied the entire game I will say 60% of the time the killer will at least say GG.
Survivors on the other hand, usually won't say anything if they die, (like you said it could be because they left). You see this a lot with a 4 man SWF, every game they escape GG, every game they lose silence.
the term GG is 90% of the time used as a BM
ppl generally only say it when they win, and they say it it to see if you will say it back so that they can give their ego a false boost when you don't. "oh look he's salt" tehy will tell themselves., it's really childish and sad TBH.
note that these ppl generally never say GG when they lose, rather ironic eh.
I just can't rubberstamp every match with a gg. Gg would lose all meaning if I did, just me clacking a standardize set of keys at the end of match screen. All matches aren't created equal. I feel, in a sense, that giving an insincere platitude can be as bad as an insult. If I feel people did well, played well and fairly. Most matches I give a gg, and a gg shout out to good players for certain plays, whether it be killer or survivor. It makes so when I do say gg I truly mean it as a well deserved compliment.
I message most of the people after a match and say GG. Sometimes I extend out a comment about how they really ran me around like an idiot or something like that. Maybe a cheeky comment on how they got lucky but next time it's not going to go down like that.
a gg means you had fun/are satisfied
Well, you're not the norm in my region. : P
I had to drink a glass of water after reading this
I've not said GG in +1 year, at least.. but its due to me having the chat disabled. I used to say GG after basically every game before that.
It sucks for most people that they aren't Australian...
Not that I know how the regions and match making work... I mean does anybody know how the matchmaking really works?
Wait, you are Aussie? Well that's awkward...
Right now, it's more based on regions: Oceanic, Europe, North America... so those in those areas are matched together.
Born and bred.. well... my Dad is a Kiwi and my mother a Brit... but still... Aussie as...
I am too. I just assumed you were in america right now or something. People never seem to message after a match. : /
That's a shame. After match convos are sometimes great.
(Be warned this is long and idk if this is categorized as a vent but i really want to say this)
Had this huge ######### of a survivor in my killer match that went and dropped all pallets in the match then dc'ed.
This pretty much trivialized my match.
Was it easy? Yes for obv reasons.
Did i enjoy? F* no. The dc did not want to play against "insert killer here" so they either dc or screw over the teammates then dc.
After the match, i advised the other 3 to report that guy for what he did (but i doubt reporting does anything)
For survivors who dc because they face "insert killer here" in a match? I really hope you get banned because that kind of move is just scummy.
Another match was as a huntress (ritual)
I just wanted to do my ritual so i equipped the fast wind-up addons (been a while since i played huntress)
Match went usually normal , i find survivors, i chase em, i use all my hatchets then reload quickly (iron maiden ftw) normal match.
Then i downed a bill and hooked him.
Normally i would go find another survivor (someone broke ruin after i hooked bill) buuut that changed when crows nearby got disturbed (the crow was 15 meters)
Soo i patrolled around the area and would you know, a dwight! Soo i chased this dwight , injured a kate in the chase , then i down him.
Now here comes the big brain play : kate that was injured ran to dwight and insta healed him (purple).
Managed to down dwight again and quickly m1'd kate that was about to unhook bill.
Afterwards i camped not knowing where the other guy (lots and i do mean lots of matches i have survivors bumrushing the hooked guy not allowing me to leave) is and im expecting him to try to unhook bill (he made the smart play to heal himself far away tho but i found that out later)
After that, kate dc'es, bill suicides (not sure if he did suicide i could be wrong) and i chase/hook the last guy.
Pretty much steamrolled them (not an actual steamroll because of a dc but i needed the bp from the ritual)
They started to insult me for camping 2 downed survivors near the hooked survivors.
What else was i supposed to do? The hooks were too far from each other, had no agitation and had no info about the last guy.
Idk what to say here, a killer is not allowed to think smart and just blindly play like a bot? Feels like its 2017 again...
i don't see GG the same.
For me it's just a way of saying : thanks for playing.
I'll gg + have a good day every freaking game : even if i get destroyed as survivor/killer or even if i escaped/killed everyone.
I see "gg" as a form of respect and actually not seeing any gg back in the chat is always really unrespectful or unpolite from my perspective.
I don't play scummy on any side (bringing items or meta perks as survivor/ tunneling, camping or moring as killer) so my chat end, most of the time, by a "<3" from a teammate of the opponent.
I think the common issue of "If I don't 4k or escape than I didn't win" argument is in play there.
Some people just don't want to lose no matter what.
Yes... thank you for clarifying that.
How was the water, was it good?
The main problem is that you want to tell others, how and why they should play this game. Everybody enjoy different things in a game. However everybody should tips that for the others it wouldn't be a gg, so should just say wp to be polite - but this is also something, what you shouldn't and what you can't force. You have to accept that some people enjoy the other's suffering
That's what i do too. You can hear things like "gg wp all except the flashlight bad word" from me.
superb, my eyes were dehydrated
I feel like your assuming alot here. Assuming someone has a secret ulterior motive and that them saying GG, which is a sign of a good sport, as secretly being childish...
If I play well as the killer, I usually stick around in the post game chat, say "gg" and "well played" if they played amazingly as a team or as solo survivors.
But if I just got absolutely demolished, not being able to build up pressure, not being able to hook even a single person, I don't stick around and complain about the game not being fun. I just continue to my next game. After all I lost, and if I felt frustrated the whole match, I wouldn't be inclined to say I had a "Good Game".
Whoever thinks that "winning" is the only means to having fun is kidding themselves. Especially since DBD is not at all a competitive experience, it's a casual party game as best. If you don't get a 4k and you're complaining about it in post game chat, then you probably shouldn't be playing killer.
Being a killer requires more patience and concentration than a survivor, basically you're going to constantly stress yourself if you're just thinking about going for the win. I honestly don't get people who think that being competitive in a game like this is fun, neither survivor or killer. What's the point in stressing yourself in a game?
But I digress, I went a little off topic there. I will though, this has been happening long before games like Dead by Daylight are a thing. What constitutes a "good game" for some people is literally a matter of winning or losing. So no, it hasn't be "twisted". It has always been this way for some.
I see this as well.
Example, playing as Pig (STBFL,BBQ,SF,Enduring,no addons). A decent length match with 4k, all gens done, and 3/4 survivors three hooked. The survivor two hooked, died bc the last survivor completed a gen, called it a snooze and they had terrible teammates.
If you don't find enjoyment in the game don't play it.
@Sinful_Dreams Yeah I was just about to comment about console being different.
I don't play killer so I can't say anything about that (pretty sure my connection can't handle it) but I've got good and bad messages from both killers and survivors.
I've had a Nurse accuse me of being SWF & gen rushing and told me I should be embarrassed (I'm solo). Another just swearing at me. Survivor who called me a loser because I escaped as he got downed. Managed to talk him round and said I was injured with no way to heal myself and just had awful round and he was actually alright about it.
Surprisingly, most of mine are actually friendly messages. If I message a killer I always say GG immediately so they know I'm not there to insult them - had a killer immediately go on the offensive when I created a message group as he thought I was gonna throw hate, they were a bit embarrassed after they read my nice message lol. So I always immediately say gg to avoid that.
I think on console most people can't be bothered to go through the process of setting up a message compared to the end game chat on PC.
I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't serious about the matchmaking comment. I was just having a go at it. I've made some good south american friends because of the quality of the match making we have had.
I see...