Voice chat for DBD, improving solo experience

Giving credit of the idea to @Starbricks19 but added a poll for a more objective "counting" of perception.

The voice chat would have an option to mute specific persons in order to avoid breathing, annoying sounds, squirrel voices, etc.

EDIT: PLEASE have console players in consideration (no chat box EVER)

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • No, never. There is a chat box if you wish to discuss strat before a trial.

  • yes, but.. i don't know. i don't like talking to people and i'm shy. maybe in the pre-game lobby yes, because i can write, but otherwise no.

  • @will_i_am_14_85 said:

    No, never. There is a chat box if you wish to discuss strat before a trial.

    Which has a countdown if 4 survivors already are in lobby and writing is slower than speaking OBVIOUSLY. BTW, thank you for having consoles in consideration (no chat box EVER)

  • Oh God no. Just no.

  • I'm all for improving solo experience but adding voice chat isn't a good idea. This game is already full of super toxic people. Imagine what would happen if those people were able to voice chat.

  • honestly I think the right way to play DbD, from a balance and gameplay point of view, is to play solo. Coordination should be a result of map awareness, perks (e.g. bond, empathy..) and experience, not voice communication.


    If anything, I would prefer separate lobby queues between solo and swf - a killer may choose which one to join (or even both, if he wishes). Probably this can't be done due to an increase on wait time which would frustrate both swf and solo players, but still, the game should be more solo oriented, not the opposite.

  • Solo is a pain at the moment but proximity voice chat would make it worse. I'm happy in my own little bubble and only want to chat if I'm playing with friends.

  • @Starbricks19 Where are you? We need your vote and opinion dude, it was actually a good idea to even ask about it, even if it's a no, we need more people trying to improve the game

  • No. I don't want to talk or listen to random people and I'd hate if this was required to play the game properly. I only play SWF & coms with people I know are chill and friendly.

  • @NeonAlien said:

    No. I don't want to talk or listen to random people and I'd hate if this was required to play the game properly. I only play SWF & coms with people I know are chill and friendly.

    I'm guessing you didn't read, it would be an OPTION to enter the voice chat, not a must

  • I know, still it implies that you have to turn it on to have a "valid experience" and if you don't, you're left out.

  • @NeonAlien said:

    I know, still it implies that you have to turn it on to have a "valid experience" and if you don't, you're left out.

    Ok, I'll give you that one. I was looking at it as an experienced player, but it's true, a new player would think it's a "must do"

  • Thanks @Carlosylu for the citation, the idea of a pre match chat is amazing imo. Not breaking atmosphere in game, giving you around 60 sec to organize something, useful and not game braking. Congrats

  • For me, i don't like to talk that much, shy too. But just the option for pre-game lobby talk could be fine. I have a PS4 so it can be like....*Day Dreaming*

    Random:"hey...hey Elk wanna party chat..?" Elk:"...." Random:"Hey, you got a mic?" Elk:"..." *🔈🔉🔊🔈Mic symbol goes off* Random:"Hey! you.."*Game starts*

    Personally i would like it not be in-game, for me to have the experience of solitude, unless i want it to not be. However, if it goes in-game, i won't be bugged if i can disable it.

  • Wait I take it back! D:

  • @Boosted_Dwight said:

    Wait I take it back! D:

    LOLOLOLOL

  • @Boosted_Dwight said:

    Wait I take it back! D:

    It's too late>:) We know what you really want. Hahaha!

  • Voicechat would render numerous perks completely useless and majority would use it for trolling or shittalk

  • Ultimately they probably shouldn't add voice chat this far into it but if they did I'd be okay with it if they fixed the numerous perks that would be rendered basically useless because of it. Such as Bond, Empathy, Aftercare, even killer perks like Knock Out and maybe Third Seal.

  • Sorry, no. Voice chat would be awful for DBD.

  • Absolutely not.

    I would no longer play the game. The ability to mute doesn’t help, as the idea is killers would be buffed (or survivors nerfed) to compensate for everyone using voice chat. Therefore if you don’t use it, you are going to have a miserable experience. So in that sense, it is forced. Also teammates are likely to not give two shits about you and be annoyed if you have them muted and they are communicating. No way. I honestly think this would be the death sentence for the game. Majority of survivors play solo, and many will be driven away. Not all will just switch to killer, a lot will just leave the game. This will in turn lead to crazy long killer queues, and eventually the game will just die off. Adding voice chat doesn’t gain players, people who want voice chat are already playing SWF. All you do is lose players.

  • @will_i_am_14_85 said:

    No, never. There is a chat box if you wish to discuss strat before a trial.

    Not on console

  • I like the way it's on consoles besides that I would only say yes to voice chat for the memes.

  • I didn't want to say that "solo is fine as is", but there's no other "No" option, so there you go.

  • I don't think this should be an option. It will really take away from the survivor experience in the game.

    Here you are, 4 survivors getting hunted by a serial killer while trying to repair generators to power an exit gate and escape - but now you got walkie-talkies.

    "Claudette this is Jake, I'm almost done with the last gen, how are you holding up?"

    *static noise* "I'm - *heavy panting* he's right behind me!" *screams loudly as audio cuts off*

    "Hatch it is then."

  • I mainly play solo and there is ligit no way to communicate to other survivers on console besides group chats, also... WHERE IS THE TEXT BOX? i even have a keyboard plugged into my colsole for chatting in other games, so where the hell is the pre game chat? (p.s. i used to play this game on pc and i KNOW they have one)

  • Never. That's one of the things i like about DBD: you don't have voice chats. I think the pre-game chat is good enough, and how do you wanna have a strategy if you don't know what map you're gonna be one ( except with offerings ) and especially what killer you're gonna be up against ?

  • Definitely not, DbD was meant to have little communication between survivors and voice chat is the exact opposite of that. It's a whole new game at that point and people already use exterior vc, myself included. There's much more skill involved when there's no voice to give you information, you have to pick up on all the subtle clues and I think it's far better that way, not to mention that the game was originally more balanced that way.


    There's also the pre game chat, but that's only beneficial for pc players. Others have to deal with it overall, but I actually never really felt a loss for the chat when I started playing on console. Of course there are great end chat moments, but I find that it doesn't really enhance the game as much as I had thought.

  • If you want to talk to your team mates so bad then 3rd party up / discord / psn etc


    If not then tough

  • Console players are already doing this with swf. I call it cheating as comms with the other players is extremely powerful and of course fun to do. I could write a list of the advantages from players with perks just set up for being chased, gen work, stalking killer... There is nothing in the game that helps the killer against this but almost all swf will be on comms when comms in the game is supposed to be pointing and hand summoning

  • Would have chosen no but you added it was as fine as it is.

    It needs to be acknowledged this is being used and perks increased or reduced.

    If I use a mori / secret (like keys shouldn't be in the game) the teams normally exit the game to a new lobby

  • I'd mute it if it was implemented.