Personally I used to avoid watching horror movies like the plague, but after I started playing dead by daylight, I decided to start watching them. I'm curious if something similar happened to you, or the reverse.
I've been into horror movies for a long time. I started playing DbD so I'd have horror-related gameplay to post on YouTube last Halloween and I just kept with it.
My favorite horror movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. It's one of the best movies ever.
I remember seeing the Donald Sutherland Invasion of the Body snatchers as a wee toddler in the early 80s and it scared the living ######### out of me, the rest is history!
Favourite era is the mid 80's; so many wild and wacky films were coming out and we had no idea of how good we had it!
Favourites... i'm going to be greedy and pick 3, just coz I hope someone who hasn't seen them will take these recommendations and watch them!
Bad Taste (1987)
Demons (1986)
The Fog (1980)
Oh, honourable mention, as we're on the subject, for anyone interested in the FOUND FOOTAGE genre, check out the BBC Screen 1 drama Ghostwatch (1992), anyone who saw that "Live" at the time, will not forget it ... the first diagnosed instances of PTSD from a TV viewing audience!
I've been into horror movies for a long time. I started playing DbD so I'd have horror-related gameplay to post on YouTube last Halloween and I just kept with it.
My favorite horror movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. It's one of the best movies ever.
Bang on the money! The Thing is THE BEST SCI-FI HORROR OF ALL TIME (just the others are my favourites!).
I watched a lot of Horror Movies when I was younger (like 15 to 20). I discovered DBD through Youtube (some Youtubers I watched played it) in 2016, this was a few years after I stopped watching Horror movies, so this is not really related for me.
The only slasher movie I watched before playing DBD was Alien. I'm not really scared by horror movies, but I just didn't have a lot of interest in watching some guy brutalize people for the sake of entertaining the audience.
DBD made me appreciate them a little more, but I still haven't actually watched any other slasher films.
I've always been a fan of horror films when I was young my mom and I would watch them, been watching them since I had true conciousness. I was really happy when Jason got a video game, you might not believe me, but I throught the Myers Boy would be next to get a game or Scream. After Friday had the lawsuit. I immediately stop playing it because the updates weren't coming. People we're being extremely toxic but also before and incredibly racist, but then I started playing DBD and came after the Halloween Update, I was so surprised to see, Michael Myers in the game. Huntress and Myers were my mains which in away they still are, I play as them more then any other killer, but I literally didn't buy the Halloween chapter but I wanted to didn't really have the money to , I needed Decisive Strike, because by that time the toxic Friday the 13th gang poured in, then they added Freddy Kruger, and I was like are they doing what I think they're doing ? adding icon's. Then I started looking for a killer that was one of my favorites Chucky, which up until now has been but that doesn't mean he belongs in this game. Yeah it's a bad choice for a killer to be in this game but to answer the OP ? I've always have been a horror fan but Dead By Daylight had nothing to do with my involvement in the genre but how ######### great it is that their doing this, its awesome.
Its honestly both, at around the same time that i discovered dbd i had started rewatching Alien, and a bunch of other horror classics, so they kinda just went hand in hand for me :)
I don't entirely know where to categorize my answer because it really kind of fits the first two answers (so I went with the third option).
As a teenager I was into horror films (mostly slashers as I collected almost all parts of Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Child's Play on DVD) but the interest was pushed aside for other things as I got older.
I got into Dead by Daylight through two of my friends, one of them half-joked half-persuaded me to join them so I said "screw it" and bought the game on a whim because 1) it was a completely different game to the ones I've regularly played, and 2) it piqued the interest of my former horror film fanatic self. I haven't stopped playing since then. I would say that Dead by Daylight re-ignited my interest for horror films.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
I've pretty much always loved horror movies since I was a kid - the original Poltergeist movie was probably my favourite at the time.
Bonus question: What's your favorite scary movie? Mine is the original Halloween.
I've been into horror movies for a long time. I started playing DbD so I'd have horror-related gameplay to post on YouTube last Halloween and I just kept with it.
My favorite horror movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. It's one of the best movies ever.
I generally don't like horror movies actually, and i just happened upon this game when it was in beta.
Out of respect towards the licenses, i watch their first movie.
Man, i can't get over the first SAW, so good.
Horror movies all the way!
I remember seeing the Donald Sutherland Invasion of the Body snatchers as a wee toddler in the early 80s and it scared the living ######### out of me, the rest is history!
Favourite era is the mid 80's; so many wild and wacky films were coming out and we had no idea of how good we had it!
Favourites... i'm going to be greedy and pick 3, just coz I hope someone who hasn't seen them will take these recommendations and watch them!
Bad Taste (1987)
Demons (1986)
The Fog (1980)
Oh, honourable mention, as we're on the subject, for anyone interested in the FOUND FOOTAGE genre, check out the BBC Screen 1 drama Ghostwatch (1992), anyone who saw that "Live" at the time, will not forget it ... the first diagnosed instances of PTSD from a TV viewing audience!
Happy Haunting!
Bang on the money! The Thing is THE BEST SCI-FI HORROR OF ALL TIME (just the others are my favourites!).
I do like horror movies , but I doubt it was a reason why I got into dbd .
I watched a lot of Horror Movies when I was younger (like 15 to 20). I discovered DBD through Youtube (some Youtubers I watched played it) in 2016, this was a few years after I stopped watching Horror movies, so this is not really related for me.
Dead by Daylight got me into watching Tom and Jerry again.
You know, where they run around the table a lot?
I love scary/horror movies! So that got me interested in this game.
The only slasher movie I watched before playing DBD was Alien. I'm not really scared by horror movies, but I just didn't have a lot of interest in watching some guy brutalize people for the sake of entertaining the audience.
DBD made me appreciate them a little more, but I still haven't actually watched any other slasher films.
My interest in either are completely separate.
I've always been a fan of horror films when I was young my mom and I would watch them, been watching them since I had true conciousness. I was really happy when Jason got a video game, you might not believe me, but I throught the Myers Boy would be next to get a game or Scream. After Friday had the lawsuit. I immediately stop playing it because the updates weren't coming. People we're being extremely toxic but also before and incredibly racist, but then I started playing DBD and came after the Halloween Update, I was so surprised to see, Michael Myers in the game. Huntress and Myers were my mains which in away they still are, I play as them more then any other killer, but I literally didn't buy the Halloween chapter but I wanted to didn't really have the money to , I needed Decisive Strike, because by that time the toxic Friday the 13th gang poured in, then they added Freddy Kruger, and I was like are they doing what I think they're doing ? adding icon's. Then I started looking for a killer that was one of my favorites Chucky, which up until now has been but that doesn't mean he belongs in this game. Yeah it's a bad choice for a killer to be in this game but to answer the OP ? I've always have been a horror fan but Dead By Daylight had nothing to do with my involvement in the genre but how ######### great it is that their doing this, its awesome.
Had grown an unhealthy obsession to Halloween through Michael Myers in dbd, as I love playing him.
Its honestly both, at around the same time that i discovered dbd i had started rewatching Alien, and a bunch of other horror classics, so they kinda just went hand in hand for me :)
Same hat
My brothers introduced me after I was an F13 player, which they also introduced me to.
I know. Saw isn't so much a horror movie as it is a crime thriller, imo.
I've been a horror fan since I was a little kid and that got me into Friday the 13th the Game and that got me into DBD.
Halloween gave me mega interest into the horror genre and I grew from there and watched all the famous ones.
Once learning Michael Myers was in DBD and I watched Vanoss play the game a while back, I was set, I instantly dropped money into the Halloween DLC.
I don't entirely know where to categorize my answer because it really kind of fits the first two answers (so I went with the third option).
As a teenager I was into horror films (mostly slashers as I collected almost all parts of Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Child's Play on DVD) but the interest was pushed aside for other things as I got older.
I got into Dead by Daylight through two of my friends, one of them half-joked half-persuaded me to join them so I said "screw it" and bought the game on a whim because 1) it was a completely different game to the ones I've regularly played, and 2) it piqued the interest of my former horror film fanatic self. I haven't stopped playing since then. I would say that Dead by Daylight re-ignited my interest for horror films.