Battle pass and DBD

I don't think DBD is worthy of a battle pass at all its far too imbalanced and continues to be and can or won't innovate on its premise. A battle pass is a common form of monetization in the area of F2P games like Destiny and Fortnite. Black Ops has it as well but COD has always been a game that is put together well unlike DBD which has continues issues because it is badly and fatally imbalanced. Like Destiny's battle pass gives you a lot of additional content like new weapons,gear,color schemes,ships among other things. A battle pass on its own would be less unethical if the cosmetics weren't as overpriced as they are and don't get me wrong the art department is the best department as far as putting out cool things even if the game itself is lackluster and linear. DBD is lucky in that it has monopoly on the genre that it is in hence the idea of any battle pass seems fair because it is the only big player in its genre really at the moment. However the battle pass recently is a F2P model form of making $$$ for the developer but the game is free in that case making it not seem so bad. Like I don't mind paying $30 for Destiny's battle pass because it has great content and runs well and is fun but if a battle pass is for to be blunt a buggy,very often broken game like DBD I don't see it as worth it even for "lore". However you compound this will overpriced cosmetics and someone could well end up paying much more then $10 so it adds up quickly.

Comments

  • I'm going to give you support right off the bat. I made a thread about this a couple days ago and got roasted.

    Tonight I learned the battle pass is far worse than I thought. The requirements to complete it obscene and not feasible for a casual gamer. That is the point, because you can pay real money to move up the tiers. They have every incentive to make it as grindy and unpleasant as possible. To make it even worse, the Halloween event is tied to the battle pass.

    These are free to play monetization tactics in a game that can be quite expensive if you buy the chapters and some cosmetics. Unfortunately, more and more full price games are doing this as well, simply because gamers allow it. That is how we went from Horse Armor 15 years ago to where to we are now.

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    I'm going to give you support right off the bat. I made a thread about this a couple days ago and got roasted.

    Tonight I learned the battle pass is far worse than I thought. The requirements to complete it obscene and not feasible for a casual gamer. That is the point, because you can pay real money to move up the tiers. They have every incentive to make it as grindy and unpleasant as possible. To make it even worse, the Halloween event is tied to the battle pass.

    These are free to play monetization tactics in a game that can be quite expensive if you buy the chapters and some cosmetics. Unfortunately, more and more full price games are doing this as well, simply because gamers allow it. That is how we went from Horse Armor 15 years ago to where to we are now.

    But DBD isn't like Destiny thats what people aren't getting its not F2P this is a F2P model on a game that is actually pretty expensive plus all the dlc and throw in like 3 cosmetics it will be over a $60 game in price easily

  • I was ok with it. I was going to buy it. But now that I know it can't be finished I'm not touching it.

  • Imagine paying the developers to be able to grind for content. Battle passes stink and I'll have no part of it. Free stuff is cool I guess but not worth the full buy.

  • INB4 in game advertisements.

  • @PistolTimb said:

    Imagine paying the developers to be able to grind for content. Battle passes stink and I'll have no part of it. Free stuff is cool I guess but not worth the full buy.

    You can do a battle pass right however bhvr isn't doing that obviously I was unaware how much they had pay walled it though.

  • @sorrowen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756323#Comment_756323

    But DBD isn't like Destiny thats what people aren't getting its not F2P this is a F2P model on a game that is actually pretty expensive plus all the dlc and throw in like 3 cosmetics it will be over a $60 game in price easily

    Reminds me more of Red Deads battle pass honestly. Red Deads is a bit better though.

    $60 game, premium currency to buy pass can be earned in game without buying the pass and you can finish the pass in around a week or less.

    All Red Dead has over DbD is time required and the auric cell equivalent can be earned at base.

    Overall though Red Dead has worse practices despite being significantly more expensive than DbD to buy.

    Battle passes are making their way into expensive games.

  • @BBQnDemogorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756327#Comment_756327

    Reminds me more of Red Deads battle pass honestly. Red Deads is a bit better though.

    $60 game, premium currency to buy pass can be earned in game without buying the pass and you can finish the pass in around a week or less.

    All Red Dead has over DbD is time required and the auric cell equivalent can be earned at base.

    Overall though Red Dead has worse practices despite being significantly more expensive than DbD to buy.

    Battle passes are making their way into expensive games.

    I'd rank them both pretty bad in terms of ethical ways of making money but yeah Rockstar is a major offender for sure.

  • @PistolTimb said:

    Imagine paying the developers to be able to grind for content. Battle passes stink and I'll have no part of it. Free stuff is cool I guess but not worth the full buy.

    The "free" stuff is just there to bring you in. There is a whole lecture on it called "Let's go whaling" on YouTube. Goes through all the psychology of getting people invested without them spending money, once they have gone from habit to hobby the monetization hits hard.

    Same thing with the battle pass. You will see yourself leveling up the tiers even if you have not paid for the pass. Maybe some cosmetics you want, so you get the pass. The thing is individual sets are separated by the tiers and some of the gaps are pretty large. They even have part of a set in the free tier and rest in the paid tier. Unless you are spending hours a day during this game, you will not finish it. You have already invested time, energy, and the initial $10 into the pass. Are you going to miss out? It is time limited after all. What is the solution? Paying to increase the tiers with real money.

  • @HellCatJane said:

    INB4 in game advertisements.

    I would not be surprised if you can buy perks outright for the character of your choice with real money in the next 12 months.

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756333#Comment_756333

    The "free" stuff is just there to bring you in. There is a whole lecture on it called "Let's go whaling" on YouTube. Goes through all the psychology of getting people invested without them spending money, once they have gone from habit to hobby the monetization hits hard.

    Same thing with the battle pass. You will see yourself leveling up the tiers even if you have not paid for the pass. Maybe some cosmetics you want, so you get the pass. The thing is individual sets are separated by the tiers and some of the gaps are pretty large. They even have part of a set in the free tier and rest in the paid tier. Unless you are spending hours a day during this game, you will not finish it. You have already invested time, energy, and the initial $10 into the pass. Are you going to miss out? It is time limited after all. What is the solution? Paying to increase the tiers with real money.

    I took marketing this certainly falls under that kind of manipulation but again they don't want you too think about it.


  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756338#Comment_756338

    I would not be surprised if you can buy perks outright for the character of your choice with real money in the next 12 months.

    With what is going on, I wouldn't expect anything less.

  • Their focus on adding more ways to squeeze money out of their players show exactly how much they actually care about their own game. Where's the common sense stuff like Rank rewards?

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756338#Comment_756338

    I would not be surprised if you can buy perks outright for the character of your choice with real money in the next 12 months.

    I would be very surprised.

    At the moment the only thing stopping everyone from being mad and quitting is everything behind the rift/archive grind is cosmetic.

    That would be the point of no return.

  • yea, i was quite sad too see that, yet again, BHVR see's the community as dollar signs instead of actual people with brains. I actually was gonna buy the battle pass since it seemed like a good deal, but because of the fact you can't even get everything unless you pay up is just pathetic.


    BHVR honestly thinks we are sheep, and I'll enjoy the day a game comes out that rivals DBD so BHVR can stop being a corrupt monopoly and actually care about the players.

  • Well the archive rift was made so people could get more "lore" supposedly however Lore isn't worth money. Also I think the rewards aren't exactly good on the premium pass a lot of it besides the trinkets you could get with shards if you wanted or those bloody cells.


  • @sorrowen said:

    I don't think DBD is worthy of a battle pass at all its far too imbalanced and continues to be and can or won't innovate on its premise. A battle pass is a common form of monetization in the area of F2P games like Destiny and Fortnite. Black Ops has it as well but COD has always been a game that is put together well unlike DBD which has continues issues because it is badly and fatally imbalanced. Like Destiny's battle pass gives you a lot of additional content like new weapons,gear,color schemes,ships among other things. A battle pass on its own would be less unethical if the cosmetics weren't as overpriced as they are and don't get me wrong the art department is the best department as far as putting out cool things even if the game itself is lackluster and linear. DBD is lucky in that it has monopoly on the genre that it is in hence the idea of any battle pass seems fair because it is the only big player in its genre really at the moment. However the battle pass recently is a F2P model form of making $$$ for the developer but the game is free in that case making it not seem so bad. Like I don't mind paying $30 for Destiny's battle pass because it has great content and runs well and is fun but if a battle pass is for to be blunt a buggy,very often broken game like DBD I don't see it as worth it even for "lore". However you compound this will overpriced cosmetics and someone could well end up paying much more then $10 so it adds up quickly.

    Battlepasses are inherently trash no matter the game. Also please for the love of god use linebreaks, dont just post one big block of text.

  • @BBQnDemogorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/756352#Comment_756352

    I would be very surprised.

    At the moment the only thing stopping everyone from being mad and quitting is everything behind the rift/archive grind is cosmetic.

    That would be the point of no return.

    Most DBD players are not on the forums. Some would certainly see it as a major convenience. Pay 5 bucks to get Ruin and another 5 to get BBQ on the killer of your choice, without having to grind for 10s of hours as Hag and Bubba. Or you can grind and deal with the randomness of the bloodweb. The system might as well have been made for monetization.

  • @Gibberish said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/95214/battle-pass-and-dbd

    Battlepasses are inherently trash no matter the game. Also please for the love of god use linebreaks, dont just post one big block of text.

    Well i'll agree with that most are trash.

  • Haven't really been able to try it out for myself yet. I only REALLY have time to play on the weekend. Last Halloween event was pretty grindy, so I'm not worried about not finishing, kinda expected that. As far as the pass alone goes... I'll see for myself how rough the grind is b4 bitching, lol. I go into each game to play, not thinking about grinding for stuff. If I can get cool stuff while doing that...sweet.