Is it just me or does DBD fail as a game.
It is way more scarier and tense to play killer than survivor.
It is way more scarier and tense to play killer than survivor.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Not for me. I've tried both, and playing as survivor is more intense, and more fun, too.
Certain killers create more tension and scares than others. Michael Myers for example is always guaranteed the tension and scares for me. Always looking over my shoulder in a Michael match. Just catching sight of him standing there staring at me gives me the creeps. I love it. Trapper has me constantly paranoid about where I'm walking, especially in maps with lots of tall grass.
look trolling is fun and all, but this is a serious issue with the game. Survivor is one part afk gen repair, one part running in a circle, one part left clicking on team mates. Killer requires way more mechanical, strategic, and focus gameplay while frankly being under siege by a group that have more tools at their disposal than you. Not only that you spend more time fighting with the map more than the survivors.
It does, heavily. Nothing asymmetrical about it, it's a gangbang simulator.
Trolling is not fun to me. I get that killers have more to contend with, but a competent killer with the right perks can own a map. I've seen them do it many times, and I play SWF. We've had our ass handed to us, or really had to fight to have at least one survive against a good killer.
This isn't a good vs. bad argument it's about how DBD actually fails to deliver on a terrifying experience for the survivor and a threatening experience for the killer. Killers shouldn't have to fight the mechanics of the game, and the maps the devs create, and survivors need more to do than gens and unhook team mates.
The good 'ole days when Killers felt like a huge threat.
Back when Shape came out and it was terrifying as hell... good times.
i remember when i first started playing. ppl were too scared to unhook. usually the first or second hook was fatal.... and if i wanted to know where everyone was, i just hit my saw one time and ppl failed skillchecks and jumped through windows.... the good ol' days....
You are aware that the fear factor was going to fade no matter what, right? Eventually people get used to the game and then it isn't scary anymore.
I'm not talking about spooks or atmosphere. I'm talking about the actual meat and bones of this game. Survivors take more overall damage than the car from the bonus stage in street fighter 2 and killers can be shut down by a flashlight and a pallet loop. How could survivors be 'scared' if they can be hit multiple times with no consequence other than being camped or point farmed by their team mates. There comes a breaking point when you realize that your team is the one actually killing you, not so much the killer. For survivors there is no level of tension that matches up as playing killer and that is a core problem with this game. Playing as a survivor you don't really feel harassed or stalked, but as killer you are DEFINITELY being harassed and stalked. Not only that but the end game lobbies are typically killer saying gg and survivors bming the killer.
Fail as a game no but it does fail as a competitive game. It isn't balanced to have a ranking system and should remove it entirely.
But no I do not believe its a bad game just poorly balanced atm.
In case it wasn't clear in my first post, let me make it crystal clear here; it doesn't fail as a terrifying experience. Not for me. It may for you, but here's a shocker, you don't speak for everyone. Only yourself.
Exactly. It says a lot about the quality of this game when I've been playing it for nearly a year and can still get scared by killers like Myers.
Nothing in this game is scary... except an m&a myers who suddenly appears behind you.
It sold well for a small-time developer team, is still played after two years despite being a relatively niche game, and spawned several clones trying to cash in on its success (all of which were abject failures, I might add). By all relevant metrics, I'd say the game is a success.
I would classify myself as a survivor main, but I'm dabbling more into killer to open my eyes to the other half of the game. I remember when Myers first came out, the game was illegitimately terrifying. He was picked by every killer for what seemed a month until survivors got their ######### together. Ever since then I've been had that same feeling of terror beside a good chase or last minute escape. From my recent matches as killer I do notice I find myself more on edge, but this comes from hoping I don't get gen rushed.
The dev's just need to create some element in order to change the meta of the game. Generators need to take longer or require something else in order to fix them completely. Maybe find some parts around the map or something. Just anything to extend the game. My average game is about 10 mins if the killer doesn't already have ruin and add 3 minutes if they have it. Compare this to many other multiplayer games and something doesn't feel right.
>
I totally agree, I hate the rank reset as well. Those first couple ranks always seem to take the longest. But with the impending rank reset rework those first couple ranks well serve more as tutorial ranks while experienced survivors have a better chance of being placed with at least survivors who have played a few hours. I'm just spit balling something in order to change the game up from hold M1, occasional spacebar, until the killer comes around.
The only time playing survivor feels right for me is when I annoyed a killer so much that he is tunneling me to death and I know that if I ######### up the loop, then im gonna get camped to death or when I am playing against a good nurse.
Ah you're from back then. Look at this and tell me you agree with me.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/10377/lets-get-these-3-perks-the-way-they-were-at-the-start#latest
I did, yehs.