Fix Gen Tapping Or Remove Regression

Seriously.

I just had a match where a Feng ran PAST a genny & it stopped regressing. Her character did not even turn to FACE the generator because she tapped the button so quickly.

I know she did it because the Jake was on a Hook, and Bill and Claudette were behind me working on a different genny.

I regressed one, found Feng, and she just brushed past it without interrupting her sprinting animation and it stopped sparking.

It's in NO WAY a risk for Survivors to tap a gen mid-chase, since they can do it without even changing animations!

What's the point in spending 3 seconds Regressing a generator when Survivors can literally animation-cancel in less than a FRAME OF ANIMATION! That's 1/60th of a second to stop my THREE SECONDS OF WORK.

Something needs to be done to stop frame-instant gen tapping. This is a legit problem when Survivors don't even stop for a single frame of animation. @Peanits

Comments

  • It’s a really ######### “tactic”, but it benefits Survivors so it’s not really surprising that it’s still here. Using a perk as a band-aid fix is horrible game design. Survivors should be forced to sit at the gen for couple seconds to stop the regression, meaning that they’ll be at risk of being grabbed if the Killer is nearby.

  • @Carpemortum said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/636317#Comment_636317

    It's also been repeatedly stated that overcharge is not the only answer, given it's your best bet, and the fact remains: people refuse to swap out their meta for what would help them. This could be posted in easily 25% of the threads that pop up complaining about a specific mechanic they have issues with.

    If anything, calling for a harsher regression would be a better idea. It would enable overcharge to still be efficient, as well as somewhat relieving the "gen rush". It also wouldnt prevent people from taking the risk of BEING HIT while running around a generator....

    You know the topic is "gen tap" not gen speed right? Surveillance does not stop gen tapping.

    The issue being stated is that it takes a killer just over a full second (without perks) to kick a gen and begin regression while a survivor can simply quick press a button (in some cases bypassing any animation at all) and stop that regression completely. They can be in a chase and stop gen regression without losing any ground at all while a killer would have to sit for a full second to start it. No perk in the game prevents this. Sure overcharge can help with lower skilled players but the skillchecks can still be done while nowhere near the generator and they are not exactly difficult to hit by any means (again unless the killer is Doc).

    I think you are confusing "gen tap" with "gen rush".

  • @Mochan said:

    I agree let's remove Gen regression.

    Heck let's remove Gen progression. Why should I spend 80 seconds fixing a generator when I killer can tap it for 1/270th the time.and undo all my work?

    Get over yourselves killers.

    • Killers cannot regress completed generators
    • Regression takes 316.8 seconds to regress a generator at 99%. Thats also nearly quadruple the time you spent repairing a gen.
    • If kicking a gen is 2 seconds, that be 1/40th i stead of 1/270th of the time to "tap a gen as killer"

    Snark aside, back on topic:

    Lets just have survivors repair 2-5 charges while regression is still hindering them to stop regression.

  • Bump. I really want to hear a devs input on the fact that Survivors can stop Regressing in 1 frame of animation.

  • Devs have already responded to this before. They stated that it was by design and will not be changed. I agree. I see gen tapping a lot when I'm in a chase, and don't really mind it. I tend to not lock down on a chase as much as others though either. If I see the gen tapping and suspect another person nearby, I chase the one off, get a free hit, then circle back and kick the gen again. I usually find another survivor trying to get to the gen. I get another free hit and another kick. Gen is now regressed further than it would be on its own.

    It is not a common occurrence. It happens most in SWFs, and I expect it. Not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination though.

  • @Warlock_2020 said:

    Devs have already responded to this before. They stated that it was by design and will not be changed. I agree. I see gen tapping a lot when I'm in a chase, and don't really mind it. I tend to not lock down on a chase as much as others though either. If I see the gen tapping and suspect another person nearby, I chase the one off, get a free hit, then circle back and kick the gen again. I usually find another survivor trying to get to the gen. I get another free hit and another kick. Gen is now regressed further than it would be on its own.

    It is not a common occurrence. It happens most in SWFs, and I expect it. Not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination though.

    By design? And not game breaking? They're literally breaking the animations.

    I refuse to believe the Devs were at all aware that gen tapping can be done in 0.05 seconds unless one says otherwise here.

  • @Locker_Monster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/636627#Comment_636627

    By design? And not game breaking? They're literally breaking the animations.

    I refuse to believe the Devs were at all aware that gen tapping can be done in 0.05 seconds unless one says otherwise here.

    You think this is game breaking? There are several things that are game breaking, this is not one of them. This is an occasional issue that is more of annoyance than anything.


  • @Warlock_2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/636628#Comment_636628

    You think this is game breaking? There are several things that are game breaking, this is not one of them. This is an occasional issue that is more of annoyance than anything.

    It still needs to be looked at. Survivors should not be stopping a Regression in 1/60th of a second if it takes Killers 2 seconds to kick it.

    This is not intended. This is a clear oversight. it has to be. I can't believe Devs saw Survivors frame-cancelling repair animations and went 'This seems fine'.

  • @Locker_Monster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/636634#Comment_636634

    It still needs to be looked at. Survivors should not be stopping a Regression in 1/60th of a second if it takes Killers 2 seconds to kick it.

    This is not intended. This is a clear oversight. it has to be. I can't believe Devs saw Survivors frame-cancelling repair animations and went 'This seems fine'.

    Agreed. The devs need to address this obvious issue. And their response can't be "it's by design, and it will not change" if they want people to respect them.

  • This really needs to change ASAP. It's pretty dumb that all the Survivor has to do is tap the gen for 0.000001 milliseconds to stop the regression. If they want to stop it, then they should have to stay on the gen for a couple seconds. The Survivor will be at risk of getting grabbed if they try to stop the regression while the Killer is nearby. Overcharge doesn't really work as a good solution because perks being used as band-aid fixes is horrible game design.

  • Out of curiosity, how would people feel if gens automatically started regressing after a certain period of inactivity? Even if you gen tapped, it would just be staving off the regression by a bit.

  • There are perks that counter it just use it pop goes the weasel, overcharged and if your worried about time brutal strength makes it faster stop complaining


  • @TR_stonez said:

    There are perks that counter it just use it pop goes the weasel, overcharged and if your worried about time brutal strength makes it faster stop complaining

    None of those perks stop micro-second tapping.

    Oh yeah, and the Overcharge/Pop skillcheck? IT FOLLOWS THE SURVIVOR.

    They can literally hit it while 20 feet away from the Gen and sprinting.

    So those aren't fixes.

  • @Locker_Monster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637265#Comment_637265

    None of those perks stop micro-second tapping.

    Oh yeah, and the Overcharge/Pop skillcheck? IT FOLLOWS THE SURVIVOR.

    They can literally hit it while 20 feet away from the Gen and sprinting.

    So those aren't fixes.

    You act like all survivors can hit the skill check that while running you around it's already hard enough to hit already

    pop is what 25% regression so while your chasing him it's regressing he fixes it so your able to kick it again but this time wait til pop is ready then kick it how hard is that doesn't seem to hard

  • @TR_stonez said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637276#Comment_637276

    You act like all survivors can hit the skill check that while running you around it's already hard enough to hit already

    pop is what 25% regression so while your chasing him it's regressing he fixes it so your able to kick it again but this time wait til pop is ready then kick it how hard is that doesn't seem to hard

    It does not matter if 5,000 players or 5 players can hit it; it's an oversight & a glitch that Survivors are able to tap in 0.05 seconds, which means they can do it mid-chase without any risk.

    This means, regardless of what little excuses you use, it needs to be looked at.

    How hard is it to understand it's an oversight or glitch allowing Survivors to frame-cancel the repair animation? Are you someone who can do it? is that why you don't want it looked at? Because you'd lose your little animation abuse?

  • @Locker_Monster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637288#Comment_637288

    It does not matter if 5,000 players or 5 players can hit it; it's an oversight & a glitch that Survivors are able to tap in 0.05 seconds, which means they can do it mid-chase without any risk.

    This means, regardless of what little excuses you use, it needs to be looked at.

    How hard is it to understand it's an oversight or glitch allowing Survivors to frame-cancel the repair animation? Are you someone who can do it? is that why you don't want it looked at? Because you'd lose your little animation abuse?

    Yeah I do, do it because its allowed there is no rule against it either kick it again or chase me away up to you your the killer

  • Oh I get it if they wanna swarm it what are they gonna do beat you up your the killer if you know they want that gen just keep them busy smacking them the more they sre focused on they one gen the less thst are doing others

  • I don't see a problem with gen tapping. Gen regression can actually help quite a bit on a killer if only one person is working on that gen and everyone else is far away on another gen, and honestly, if you were to be forced to stop for longer, the survival percent(which I heard last was already well below 50%) would be even lower. I'm not sure there's a need to be nerfing survivors right now. Also, from my experience, when you do tap a gen, your character still stops and doesn't begin running immediately, and it takes a second after stopping for your run to start back up. I'd wager that it'd already slow you down to at least 1-2 seconds with just that alone.

  • @TR_stonez said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637294#Comment_637294

    Yeah I do, do it because its allowed there is no rule against it either kick it again or chase me away up to you your the killer

    It's not against the rules but it's clearly an oversight that Survivors can do this without stopping in a dead sprint. How is that hard to understand? What is so hard to understand about 'Survivors are able to stop a gen regress without ever triggering the crouching animation'?

    @Atrushan88 said:

    I don't see a problem with gen tapping. Gen regression can actually help quite a bit on a killer if only one person is working on that gen and everyone else is far away on another gen, and honestly, if you were to be forced to stop for longer, the survival percent(which I heard last was already well below 50%) would be even lower. I'm not sure there's a need to be nerfing survivors right now. Also, from my experience, when you do tap a gen, your character still stops and doesn't begin running immediately, and it takes a second after stopping for your run to start back up. I'd wager that it'd already slow you down to at least 1-2 seconds with just that alone.


    Normally you stop, but it's possible to tap a generator so fast that you never start the crouching animation. You literally do 1 frame of animation.

    1 frame in a 60FPS (Frames Per Second) game is 1/60th of a second.

    Human reaction time to a visual cue is 0.25 seconds.

    A blink of your eye. Just blink your eyes a moment. That took 1/10th of a second.

    Survivors are able to stop a gen Regression and resume moving SIX TIMES FASTER THAN THE BLINK OF AN EYE.


    Again; a dev needs to weigh in. This HAS to be an oversight.

  • @Locker_Monster I've never continued running while gen tapping. You can cancel the animation pretty fast, but the stop definitely happens and it takes a second to start running again.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/636634#Comment_636634

    It is game breaking when (as @Chickenchaser said) survivors swarm the gen, the killer can pretty much do nothing meaningful. Any action the killer takes at this point is just the illusion of pressure.

    If survivors are swarming the gen then we are talking 3 survivors or more. If I have 3 of them running around in front of me, that is pressure in and of itself. I'm getting hits and should be able to down at least one, if not two. They may finish the gen, but I get at least a hook and several hits in.

    Weather it is a game or a movie, the survivors should have the ability to out maneuver the killer if they work as a large group, but at a sacrifice of one of their own.

    I just tested this last night several times. There is a stop in the animation. I ran by the gen while being chased. I tried to lightly tap the gen while running. In every instance there was a quick turn of my character towards the gen and it broke the run animation. Furthermore, 3 times it cost a hit by the killer. One of those times it was due to being forced into a medium vault after the tap.

    The only time it seemed effective was when working an open field gen that had all sides open. Only one of those were on the map. Two of us were trying to tap it while the killer chased us. It worked against us in the long run because the killer had brute strength and kept kicking it, giving it more regression than we were giving progression.

    I reiterate that this is not the game breaking problem it is being advertised as here. We had to go out of our way to for e the scenario and it was always at a cost.

  • @Chickenchaser said:

    The solution is giving all killers overcharge as part of their base power instead of it being a perk.

    I dont think "Overcharge", i think a normal skillcheck. Overcharge should be on 10% regression and a very difficult skillcheck tho.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637701#Comment_637701

    No.

    You clearly haven’t experienced what the rest of us are talking about. Not reckless noobs, but highly bold, but calculated in a very cautious way.

    We’re talking about well coordinated squads that ensure each one is taking turns getting on and off WELL in advance of the killer closing enough distance to get a hit in, whilst the others running in behind your back are doing exactly the same thing.

    Lol #########? Do you really think SWF teams play like this? No wonder everyones perception of SWF is so warped when you think people are communicating about gen tapping, heck if you're kicking a gen multiple times infront of people you're probably just bad.

    Killer - Kicks Gen

    Survivor - Taps Gen

    Killer - ???? Kicks Gen Again

    Survivor - Taps Gen

    Killer - ??? Kicks Gen Again

    Survivor - ???? lmao this guy spending half the game kicking the same gen

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637701#Comment_637701

    No.

    You clearly haven’t experienced what the rest of us are talking about. Not reckless noobs, but highly bold, but calculated in a very cautious way.

    We’re talking about well coordinated squads that ensure each one is taking turns getting on and off WELL in advance of the killer closing enough distance to get a hit in, whilst the others running in behind your back are doing exactly the same thing.

    I have seen it several times over the past two years. As I mentioned above (I added in an edit instead of making a second post), it is always at a cost to the survivors. This situation is not common and comes at a risk vs a good killer.

    I love when they tap the gen because it keeps slowing them down for that fraction of a second. If I keep 2 survivors wrapped up in that situation over one gen, I'm eventually getting both of them. It will turn into a gen and a body in need of healing. If they don't beat feet, it is two hooks.

  • Cant believe most people here cannot even comprehend the clearly explained problem.

  • @FriendlyGuy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/635988#Comment_635988

    I dont think "Overcharge", i think a normal skillcheck. Overcharge should be on 10% regression and a very difficult skillcheck tho.

    Yes. a normal skill check would do just fine.

  • Come on, devs.

    Can we get a comment on if a 1 frame tap is actually allowed? Or is it an oversight? Will it be looked at? Changed?

    Don't go radio silent on this, please.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/637706#Comment_637706

    Lol #########? Do you really think SWF teams play like this? No wonder everyones perception of SWF is so warped when you think people are communicating about gen tapping, heck if you're kicking a gen multiple times infront of people you're probably just bad.

    Killer - Kicks Gen

    Survivor - Taps Gen

    Killer - ???? Kicks Gen Again

    Survivor - Taps Gen

    Killer - ??? Kicks Gen Again

    Survivor - ???? lmao this guy spending half the game kicking the same gen

    A M1 killer can not chase a survivor with a gen at 80%. It will be repaired. The killer hits one survivor, and they run a mile away. If the killer chases the other 3 will fix the gen behind his back. It doesn't require coms.

    This is when gen tapping happens mostly. The M1 killer can't leave that gen. Can't chase, and can't regress the gen.

    Maybe you don't play much killer, and haven't seen this yet. It's not common. You need to put considerable hours into playing m1 killers to encounter it.

    Hilbilly, Nurse, myers, huntress etc obviously don't suffer when survivors do this strategy.

    Pig, Clown, old Freddy, wraith, etc are effected when survivors us the strategy.

    It's a matter of perspective. It's an annoying tactic that's rarely used, and can be op in certain situations.

  • @Peanits Not trying to call you out; I just see you as a more frequent dev on here, so I remember your name.

    Can you, or another dev, clarify:

    Is 1-frame gen animations something that was overlooked?

    Regressing gens takes 2 seconds, but stopping a Regression can take 1/60th of a second. This does not allow any sort of chase pressure or risk. A Survivor being chased can tap the gen 2 times faster than the blink of an eye.


    If so:

    Will it be looked at in the future?

    I'm not asking for a time frame. I'm not asking for results. I know the Stranger Things DLC is out some time next month, and they still have to hit the PTB between now and then. Full plates are full.


    I just want to know that devs are, at the least, aware of this, and if it's allowed, or if it will be addressed later on.


    I hope you understand that it's frustrating in my mind to find what seems to be a very abuseable oversight, make a thread on it, and then see devs post in 6 or 7 other threads while this one seems almost ignored. That's the only reason I at'd you.

    Anyways, cheers with the Stranger Things DLC! I'll be buying it when it releases; I've not seen the show but the Demogorgon looks really neat, and it will be fun to have a killer with a profile so clearly inhuman! :)

  • @Locker_Monster said:

    @Peanits Not trying to call you out; I just see you as a more frequent dev on here, so I remember your name.

    Can you, or another dev, clarify:

    Is 1-frame gen animations something that was overlooked?

    Regressing gens takes 2 seconds, but stopping a Regression can take 1/60th of a second. This does not allow any sort of chase pressure or risk. A Survivor being chased can tap the gen 2 times faster than the blink of an eye.

    If so:

    Will it be looked at in the future?

    I'm not asking for a time frame. I'm not asking for results. I know the Stranger Things DLC is out some time next month, and they still have to hit the PTB between now and then. Full plates are full.

    I just want to know that devs are, at the least, aware of this, and if it's allowed, or if it will be addressed later on.

    I hope you understand that it's frustrating in my mind to find what seems to be a very abuseable oversight, make a thread on it, and then see devs post in 6 or 7 other threads while this one seems almost ignored. That's the only reason I at'd you.

    Anyways, cheers with the Stranger Things DLC! I'll be buying it when it releases; I've not seen the show but the Demogorgon looks really neat, and it will be fun to have a killer with a profile so clearly inhuman! :)

    It's not being looking into at the moment. The idea is that you would chase the survivor away first and then kick it, not kick it and then chase them away.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/638323#Comment_638323

    It's not being looking into at the moment. The idea is that you would chase the survivor away first and then kick it, not kick it and then chase them away.

    I'm just referring to the 1-frame animation, not the events that lead to it being kicked or repaired, but fair enough.

    Thank you for responding! :)

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/638323#Comment_638323

    It's not being looking into at the moment. The idea is that you would chase the survivor away first and then kick it, not kick it and then chase them away.

    Sorry, but that is faulty logic. Even if you chase them away, they will come back while you are kicking the gen.

  • So basically you should kick the gen only when your chase ends right next to it and you don't have a new target yet :/

  • @avilmask said:

    So basically you should kick the gen only when your chase ends right next to it and you don't have a new target yet :/

    Not even: Unless all the remaining survivors are urbanely evading around doing nothing. The progression of survivors will always outweigh the regression on that generator.

  • What we need is a flat regression on the initial kick. 5-10%

    That way, Survivors meep-meeping through to stop regression do more harm than good, since we can kick it for another 5-10% damage.

  • @HatCreature said:

    I remember there was a HUUUGGEEE thread about this a little bit ago and thought this was a re-post.

    Yes, I agree, they need to add just 1 second to stop regression, 1 second of an animation.

    But do know that Gen tapping was officially given a counter with Overcharge so there is that. The true power of Overcharge comes in when you get Gen tappers but you don't always get them. Just like you don't always get body blockers and waste a perk slot on Mad Grit or don't always get people going into lockers when you get Iron Maiden because the perk is #########.

    I don't think they'll address this but I still think they should, Overcharge will still be relevant but will probably not be as strong since Survivors will have to focus during that 1 second. I might be wrong though, never know until they try y'all.

    It takes 2 seconds for the killer to kick so it should take 2 seconds of a survivor touching a gen to stop it from going down

1 2 ›