A small theory I have, doesn't necessarily have to be 100% true

So here's a little theory I have of why BHVR decided to make ignorant mistakes like further buffing the new DS and even introducing the old MoM 2 weeks after DS was changed.

Back in fall 2018, somewhere at spirit's release, the game was doing somewhat fine, DS changes were being worked on, everybody happy. But then, Legion got released. It's obvious they intended Legion to be an m2 insane killer, but it was a good idea with a poor execution. In fact, Legion was one of the most obnoxious killers in the game, which, in my opinion, caused the drop in playerbase. So after his changes (not gonna call them nerfs, sorry), they realized "damn we need to give survivors another way to bully the killer" and that's how MoM was made 2 weeks after nerfing DS. But then they realized their killers won't bother with that, so they nerfed MoM, but in return, buffed the stun time on DS and made enduring no longer counter it.


TL;DR original Legion dropped the playerbase, which is why MoM even existed.

Comments

  • Because Behaviour definitely want their players to bully each other,sure.

  • The reason for MoM to be that strong was to actually have a reason to buy a Survivor Only-DLC.

    If you are not a fan of Ash/Bruce Campbell or are not that type of person who collects every character, you have 0 intention to buy this DLC. It is just a Skin, after all, and as long as you dont like it, you are better off when you play your regular Main Character, because there you will have the Perks unlocked you want to have.

    So there needed to be a reason for people to buy it, who are not just liking the Skin, Ash/Bruce or are a collector. And thats done with a powerful Perk.

    (and tbh, a new Meta-Perk for Survivors is something that should really be implemented without being that strong like MoM. The last DLCs brought only Killer Perks into the game which are useful, Survivor Perks are more funny and highly situational than useful)

  • Making people buy Ash for Mom, then nerfing it 2 weeks after was an even more disapointing move for survivors.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    The reason for MoM to be that strong was to actually have a reason to buy a Survivor Only-DLC.

    If you are not a fan of Ash/Bruce Campbell or are not that type of person who collects every character, you have 0 intention to buy this DLC. It is just a Skin, after all, and as long as you dont like it, you are better off when you play your regular Main Character, because there you will have the Perks unlocked you want to have.

    So there needed to be a reason for people to buy it, who are not just liking the Skin, Ash/Bruce or are a collector. And thats done with a powerful Perk.

    (and tbh, a new Meta-Perk for Survivors is something that should really be implemented without being that strong like MoM. The last DLCs brought only Killer Perks into the game which are useful, Survivor Perks are more funny and highly situational than useful)

    @Jago said:

    Making people buy Ash for Mom, then nerfing it 2 weeks after was an even more disapointing move for survivors.

    Actually this makes 110% more sense.

  • My pre patch Legion endgame-chat were mostly friendly and even sometimes happy because they had a challenging, but fair game (with me as killer) and well... In hundrets of games I bet I have met in my endgame chats more people as we would find here in nerf threads.

    So... would the Legion be the reason, it would be crazy, since the people were happy so far I could see it.

    The Legion and MoM have suffer just a similar situation. First they were strong, then they got nerfed and then bhvr was surprised that the ppl were upset about that.

    I would say, it was pretty obvious that the ppl would be upset about the changes and they shouldn't had nerf those 2 dlcs like that.

  • They designed Legion to be a fun killer for either side in a trial. It backfired because Legion was so poorly designed, riddled with handicaps and restrictions, that even minor things ended up with him being absolutely broken. Moonwalking being an example.

    Now he's Fun™.

  • Legion has good perks, and Jeff has interesting perks, which is rare for a dlc. If more dlc's have decent or build-defining perks on both the survivor and killer sides, then I'll be ecstatic.

    That legion was such a horrendous blight on the land is unfortunately just one more "unintended gameplay style" the playtesters never even considered, just like how "looping" wasn't an intended gameplay style waaaaay back in the beta. I get that nobody would think to test moonwalking indefinitely towards your target and all, but dude...

    With the ABSURD dc rate of legion matches, it was clear how terrible the people felt. Playing in purple and red ranks for months, as soon as someone saw deep wounds there was minimum 1 DC, and it was rarely even the person being chased.

    Playing legion for dailies, I would never even down survivors, just hit them with frenzy and move on to get my quota met, but I'd still get flamed in the end-game chat. It was the end times, truly

  • I had never see offical data to that "absurd dcing" and until I do that, it is for me just rumors.

    DC's you get also with every other killer. At least, if you take the match serious and really try to kill someone.

    If you like, you can test it right now. Take some random killer and I promise you, you will get sooner or later your dc's, no matter which killer you play.

    Besides, dc's are the most toxic behavior a player can do in dbd. The last thing you should do is to support or encourage those people. Bans can also handle them^^.

  • After legion they saw some decrease in number for survivors, wasn't very fun versing legion, and as you said they buffed/released some busted perks so toxic survivors could start bulling killers again.

    After killers stopped playing they nerfed mom and released the new DS (buffed), and there we're today.

    My bet is that DS will stay the same since, on paper DS seems like a good balanced perk but in reality is so stupid strong with the gen rush meta right now, i don't expect it nerfed, or actually just changed completely ever.

    :(

  • If you aren't DCing like 30 games per day, no action is going to be taken. The devs have said time and again there's a threshold and anything under it isn't actionable. That is, until dedicated servers come out* (I still doubt they'll do anything, since they haven't to this day).

    Also, I'm not quoting anyone, or talking about other peoples' experiences here when I mention how ridiculous the DC rate was for legion. It's not uncommon now for someone to DC if they get farmed into what is clearly going to be their second hook, or right before their death if they were tunneled, sure. This was a whole different beast, though. It was "survivor is hit, deep wounds is shown to team, within 8 seconds someone yeets themselves out of the game." Like bloody clockwork, no joke and no exaggeration. You can discount it all you want, but it happened.

    Don't even get me started on frank's mixtape. Someone has half their open wounds bar disappear in one hit and the whole team just dissipates like a fart in a windstorm

  • LUL... well I guess it is a theory... You should have made the subject line.... "... DOESN'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE 1% TRUE"

    tenor (12).gif


  • @Glory said:

    If you aren't DCing like 30 games per day, no action is going to be taken. The devs have said time and again there's a threshold and anything under it isn't actionable. That is, until dedicated servers come out* (I still doubt they'll do anything, since they haven't to this day).

    Also, I'm not quoting anyone, or talking about other peoples' experiences here when I mention how ridiculous the DC rate was for legion. It's not uncommon now for someone to DC if they get farmed into what is clearly going to be their second hook, or right before their death if they were tunneled, sure. This was a whole different beast, though. It was "survivor is hit, deep wounds is shown to team, within 8 seconds someone yeets themselves out of the game." Like bloody clockwork, no joke and no exaggeration. You can discount it all you want, but it happened.

    Don't even get me started on frank's mixtape. Someone has half their open wounds bar disappear in one hit and the whole team just dissipates like a fart in a windstorm

    That whas not my impression as Legion pre patch main and because I mained the Legion, I should have seen this.

    On the other hand, I have play the Legion non toxic (besides 2 times where I have facecamp someone) and mostly without any addons or sacrifices above brown (besides 1 time/each addon for testing purposes).

    I don't argue that out there are people, that have only dc towards the Legion, for what ever reason, but they are for me the same as cheaters and exploiters in some way. They are just toxic and I don't care about the opinions of toxic people and I also think that every developer makes a huge mistake, if he listens to them, because then they feeled encouraged and that ends usually in more toxicity.

    My impressions were that the survivors have enjoy the matches. I have often talk with them in the endgame chat.

    Sure, I had sometimes also toxic guys in my endgame chats, but in the most cases they got talked down from their fellow survivor pals and in the rar cases where not, I can just say again, that I don't care about toxic people.

    Seems as we have make different impressions.

    Makes me wish, that you could one day play against a Legion like me and many other Legion players, that have play their Legion fairly. Maybe you would think different then today.

    Sadly, as we all know, that is not possible anymore.

  • I work in a huge company and money always motivate almost every decission, my guess MoM was put on a licensed character is to make people buy said character not because they wanted survivors to bully the killer or wathever.

  • Man, I always stuck it out against old legion, even in the infinite mending days. It was so worth it clapping them with pallets to drain their power, a ton of people would DC or rage but I had a good time taking on legions.

    I was never excited to play against one though, since I was constantly trying to play stealth builds back in December-Feb, and you know how well that works =/

  • @Glory said:

    Man, I always stuck it out against old legion, even in the infinite mending days. It was so worth it clapping them with pallets to drain their power, a ton of people would DC or rage but I had a good time taking on legions.

    I was never excited to play against one though, since I was constantly trying to play stealth builds back in December-Feb, and you know how well that works =/

    Stealth, huh?

    I had also sometimes play survivors and if I had play survivors, I had always try to play stealthy, but... It had mostly not work, because some guy got hooked up and.... sighs

    I can't let nobody die. Not in my watch... rhm... survivor match, eh :).

    And so it ended mostly in, that I have give up my stealth and run around like a chicken to get that guys of the hook.