Toxic
I just bought this game around a month ago, I was enjoying it a lot. This weekend event is going to make me quit. I play this game to relax and have a good time, most of the time it is. These last few days have completely ruined the experience. I normally play Killer but I have a group of friends I play Survivor with. I'm not the best at either, around Rank 10, but I know the basics. However, back to my point, the Survivors I've been playing against have been running, MoM, DS, Adrenaline and some other perk. They bring toolboxes and instant heals. Ruin always spawns right in the open, so that helps none. To top it off, after every game I get harassing messages from most of them about how bad I was and how easy it was to beat me. What should I do? It feels like the game promotes toxicity.
EDIT: Thank you all for the great advice and replies! I've decided to take a break for the rest of this event and evaluate from there, but, you all have given me hope that there ARE good people in this community, thank you and have a great time in the Fog!
Comments
Don't read endgame chat. Leave immediately. Let them stew in their own toxicity. It's all you can do. Toxic attitudes are always bred in competitive games, some more than others. More, in this case, as it's usually four survivors. Some figure that if they're toxic, the others will jump on. Strength in numbers and all. Just leave the lobby after match.
I'm terribly sorry, I did forget to mention that I play on Xbox, not on PC. Endgame chat isn't really a thing and Xbox generally only takes notice if profanity or racial slurs are used.
I usually try to ignore them, or respond nicely. Sometimes, I'm afraid, I do let my anger get the better of me. When I ignore them, I usually get spammed with messages or party invites, as I play on Xbox. I wish you all the best in your next matches as well!
You should have the option to turn of messages from anyone not on your friends list, it was the one condition i made myself enforce when i decided to come back to the game in order to save my sanity. I don't know how it works on xbox but there probably is an option in your privacy settings.
As for this weekend, i feel your pain...from both sides. I'm certainly not saying everyone should farm, but it seems everyone wants to give the biggest "F**k you, you get nothing" to each other. There is a huge difference in game play from both sides so it isn't the normal "Well killers/survivors have to kill/survive" I have been tunnelled/camped/BM'd, Gen rushed, flash lighted and tea bagged more this weekend than in all the time I've played. It's sad, but unfortunately we cannot dictate others behaviour.
The most we can do is put the controller down for a day or so and hope sanity returns when the event is over.
Turn it into something funny. Me and my friends wear angry messages like a goddamn gold star.
I play on PS4. Usually I get nice messages, but even if I get toxic ones, I just reply politely. Never take it personally, never reply in anger: they want a reaction. If the message contains profanity or racism, report it. That's about all you can do.
When playing the game is getting to me, I start memeing and screwing around. Not taking it seriously helps keep it all in perspective. My friend had a great time pretending to work on gens, chasing survivors while crouched as Pig, spamming her roar.
The devs want the toxicity. That's why we have bs like ebony moris and instaheal medkits still in the game.
When I was a noob, I kept winning my games against other noobs until I ran into a good group at rank 15. I was Wraith because I thought he was op and they rekt me so hard.. I legit went into a corner and afk mid match. I came back and they were still trying to flashlight me. I sat there wondering if i should dc and unistall.. I didn't, I got better at the game and invested over 2k hours in time. I got super good to where I stayed at rank 1 but once I learned being good didn't matter in this game, I dropped back to rank 15-20. This was before they forced you to stay at rank 15. Once you get the right perk, add-on, and become decent, you can destory those toxic pieces of #########. Don't give up yet don't waste your time or happiness on those POS. Rekt them and leave. If you can't rekt them then remember that this game doesn't reward you for being good.. Just have fun and don't worry about winning, you can still get massive amounts of points even if you lose.
Yeah, I've decided to just take a break until this event is over, then evaluate from there. I think Xbox has something like that, I'll have to look into it.
Yeah, I kinda get what your saying. I definitely have a problem with the taunting in game but it's really when they go the extra mile to message me afterwards that gets me. Like, if I get a 4K, I'm not gonna message you and taunt you. And it's not like I've not dealt with this before, it just seems to be so much worse during this event, I've heard from my buddy that people are usually extra "tryhard" during Double BP.
Yeah, I never get nice messages, it'd be cool though. A guy called me a racial slur a few weeks ago and obviously I reported that, he got banned for two weeks. Funnily enough, he came back yesterday and said, "hey, same slur, I'm back. Yeah, not really that cool.
I'm on PS4 and deactivated friend requests + messages for everybody who is not on my friendslist. I suggest you do the same.
Don't let other players bother you, just enjoy the game!
I noticed that too. 2x bloodpoints are nice, but people too much overreact to it.
That's why you should set your setting to private/friends only when you play DBD. My steam profile used to be public before I had to make it private.
Turn it into something funny. Me and my friends wear angry messages like a goddamn gold star.