Why do I still have to funnel blood points into new DLC characters I paid for?
I've always had this question in my mind every time I bought a new DLC but never dared to ask it out loud. But with the recent discussion about the nerf of blood point gain I feel why not give it a shot.
First of all to clarify, I am a very infrequent player. Maybe I play this game like 3-4 times each quartal of the year. I've got every survivor on at least P1 and still have a few killer perks unlocked from back in the day when teachables were obtained on level 35, 40 and 45 I believe. So while it doesn't affect me as much, it still does affect me in a way.
So why do I still have to do all that grinding? I bought every DLC on Steam, kinda dumb I know. But the point is, if I already pay for something why am I still being gatekept for using the perks on the characters I like to play. They could at least be unlocked in the bloodweb by default so I don't have to waste the blood points I have on a character I probably will never play anyways. Nothing against the art team, but some characters are just boring or their running animation/sound design just irks me.
And how does it affect me now? Basically because I do not play this game so often I started hoarding blood points instead of spending them. Instead of getting items and offerings on the characters I like to play that could maybe make the game more fun I chose to spend nothing in case the new DLC might get a good perk that could change up the meta at least a little.
And I already got the luxury that I have the survivor side "complete". If I would start on a new account today I would probably quit after 2-3 gaming sessions because the progress system of this game is just abysmally slow. Just seeing the sheer number of almost 100 prestige levels (including killers of course) to at least unlock every perk compared to the low amount of blood points I am getting feels straight up wrong.
Comments
This is great feedback! Whilst I do not have an exact answer to your specific query, I do have some insights I can share from our most recent AMA we had on Friday of last week. Daniel actually referred to the issue as "overall bloat" which I think will resonate with some of you!
Q: Have you guys thought about letting us trade add ons we don't use for bloodpoints?
A: Progression as a whole is an ongoing discussion for the design team. I can't go into specific plans today, as we're still working an analyzing everything and working on a plan.
One of the areas we've identified is the overall bloat of certain elements, including add-ons and perks. We want to reduce the amount of items that end up sitting unused in the player's inventories. We are looking into the best solution to address that.
As I mentioned earlier, any changes to progression need to be made carefully, since they're connected to almost eveything in the game. It may take some time before you see larger updates, but it's something we're actively working on.
-Daniel
Jeff also discussed reworking things like luck/chests that can feel like they bloat the items available in the game:
Q:Do you guys have a plan to rework or even change in-game mechanics that don’t get used or have much use like luck or chest?
-From your local chest maxer
A: Yes.
We are currently designing phase 1 of adjusting these mechanics (more on the lighter side in terms of update)
It's slated for early 2027.
We're planning additional phases after that, but no ETA on those.
-Jeff
I’ve been thinking about this for a while: wouldn’t it be a good idea to have DLC characters start at Prestige 1?
I’ve seen so many streamers who are new to the game quit because they struggle to unlock the perks they need.
Unlocking every perk from scratch requires around 100 million Bloodpoints (BP). At the very least, a new player needs around 10 million BP just to unlock the perks that most people use and equip them on their favorite character.
For a beginner, earning 10 million BP can take over 30 hours of gameplay, even when playing efficiently. Many players are likely to give up before putting in that much time.
Are you going based off getting all perks for both killer AND survivor?
Is it really that hard to let us sell our unused junk for like 10% of the Bloodpoint price? Or I would be just as happy to just discard all that junk and get nothing in return. If I'm not using them, I'm not really losing anything except maybe the Bloodpoints I spent on them, which could easily be earned in the next match.
I saw in one of the answers that luck was possibly being reworked? If its possible to bring up to the team that luck affecting self unhooks as a whole is a very unhealthy mechanic as it allows for near guaranteed self unhook in a team.
This whole thing with bloodpoints is one of the strangest things I have seen from any company when it comes to their game. You have an in game point system for which they make no money. You can't buy bloodpoints for actual money. They could award a million bloodpoints every single time you log into the game and it wouldn't cost BHVR a penny. Yet as there are more and more survivors and killers making it take that much longer to level everything up they have gotten more and more stingy with how they award bloodpoints. I have never seen another company give the middle finger to their player base the way BHVR does. They are extremely fortunate the game itself is a good game because it seems their business model otherwise is to see how much they can get away with treating their player base like crap.
Simple engagement.
Progression costing BP means you're guaranteed to be playing the game for a good while.
And that means exposure to the various monetisation schemes
And that means money.
Mind you, it was a lot worse before. BP nodes used to cost more, the action of spending it was slower, prestiging reset your inventory, quests didn't exist… etc.
The DLC gives you access to a killer and survivor. I don't understand the need for the game to play itself for you. BP is too easy to make today that it shouldn't matter.
Personally I'd like to make addon/offering recycling into it's own little mini-game. Imagine if you had a slot machine, where you could plug into it 3/6/9/12/15 (so 3 per line) of the same addon/offering and you get 1/2/3/4/5 of a random, higher rarity addon/offering, times whatever you get on the slot reels.
For example, if you 'lose' the slot roll, you just get the base 1/2/3/4/5, but if you get Bar/Bar/Bar, it doubles your winnings. The 'Jackpot' reels for survivor of course would be the Escape icon, and the killer 'Jackpot' would be the Sacrifice icon. You could also give the slot machine an additional setting. 'Ascending' would give you higher rarity rewards but less of them, while 'Descending' would give you lower rarity, but more of them. This of course would have to be mathed out so that it doesn't create a way to generate infinite items.
The payout could also either be set to 'Order' or 'Chaos', Order would give you X amount of ONE random addon/offering, while Chaos would give you X amount of completely random items. For example, If you bet 12 brown addons and won 4 green addons, Order would give you say, 4 Green Batteries, whereas Chaos it could be a Green Battery, A Hacksaw, and 2 Surgical Suture.
You could do it the boring way and make it a simple item/BP swap for a % of the item's value, but that's boring. Easy to program I imagine, but boring.
As someone thats played world of warcraft, that would take all the incentive to progress a character to 100 away.