The Walking Dead sound quality

How many players would have mained or consistently played Rick / Daryl / Michonne if it weren't for the terrible sound quality problems they still have today? (My duo friend was quite excited to get Daryl as a big fan from her highschool years, only to play them 1 time and drop them ever since)

They weren't exactly a niche license to be added but seem to be as rare to see as someone like detective tapp (atleast from my experience)

I'm also kinda worried about the Glen / Neegan skins coming later as they might bring in Bob the janitor to do their screams/grunts as well. Which its completely fine if they don't want to do the screams, but at the very least find someone that sounds similar. If anything i hope they can use the fact that the actors are coming back for new lines towards glen/neegan, to improve their sound quality overall with replacements.

I've always been impressed with how they could find voice actors that sound close enough to the character's original voices that it never bothered me, for example Rebecca and Ada wong. But Rick & Daryl's screams/grunts are so far off from the actual actor's voices that it really ruins the immersion of the characters when you get hooked and sound like a mortal kombat character getting hit with an uppercut and then get pulled off the hook to have the softspoken actors saying their thank you lines.

And while im at it are there any other characters that players wish the sound quality was improved for?

Comments

  • Fully agreed.

    If they get the actual actors to do the screams and grunts too, they're gonna be my next P100. It's such a waste that there is such a discrepancy between the spoken lines and other sounds.

  • Fully agreed. What they did with the TWD-Characters was horrible. If the actors dont voice all parts of the characters, they should not have voiced anything at all. The way it is now (voicelines actors, screams/grunts of pain other voice actors) does also not provide any value and just looks really cheap.

    I have bought the Daryl-Legendary immediatly and planned to P100 the TWD-characters, but I never play them because of the poor voiceline quality.

  • Can I add how bad Claire Redfield sounds to this list, her voice is really bad and doesn't fit her at all.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    Can I add how bad Claire Redfield sounds to this list, her voice is really bad and doesn't fit her at all.

    The one character you should not be playing without headphones on in a household that has more people in it.

  • @MarbleThrone said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097086#Comment_4097086

    The one character you should not be playing without headphones on in a household that has more people in it.

    Literally, I want to be able to play as her without everyone thinking I'm on a sus website

  • I'll even go as far as to say i've gotten several survivors dodging the lobby every 2nd or 3rd time i go to play as rick. (Especially in the sheriff outfit) but i always have Calm Spirit and Iron Will perks on in every one of his loadouts. So that you only have to hear the voicelines.

    They put a lot of effort into making a new form of voicelines for the walking dead characters where they actually interact with other walking dead survivors ingame. But since noone wants to use them due to the sound quality, all that effort has kind of gone to waste.

  • @ShanoaLegendaryPlz said:

    I'll even go as far as to say i've gotten several survivors dodging the lobby every 2nd or 3rd time i go to play as rick. (Especially in the sheriff outfit) but i always have Calm Spirit and Iron Will perks on in every one of his loadouts. So that you only have to hear the voicelines.

    They put a lot of effort into making a new form of voicelines for the walking dead characters where they actually interact with other walking dead survivors ingame. But since noone wants to use them due to the sound quality, all that effort has kind of gone to waste.

    Yeah it's the one part of the chapter which flopped is the effort and screams, like they were rushed. the voicelines are my fav part of them and I really want them for the RE characters, especially Geralts pallet drop one.

  • Big agree.

    I don't actually mind that they got stand-ins for the more intensive voice acting parts but the issue is those actors weren't up to the higher quality of the other voice actors in the game. They stick out like a sore thumb, if you ask me.

    ironically Michonne's is the best and she's the only one who's actress does both the intensive and voicelines part of the character.

    I really hope they go back and get some other voice actors to do a better job.

  • I can only hope that someday the forum mods can take notice of this topic and for the first time aknowledge the feedback, saying they can bring the feedback to the team. As i am definitely not the first person to bring up this exact topic, nor is it my first time. There have been several posts by several people in both the general and feedback discussions, and each time everyone that participates in the discussion collectively agrees that the sound quality needs some kinda rework. But the topic has never been aknowledged and passed onto the team, and then gets drowned out by the usual feedback of nerf _____ etc. I even did a poll at one time on the subject, and again it was all "yes". They could even add this question to the next survey to see what the community really thinks of the topic

  • I mean i guess its different for everyone? My brother is the most die hard twd fan. He was a little weirded out by their screams initially, but quickly got used to it and now has Rick at p100. Once you play Rick and Daryl enough you get used to their screams pretty quickly

  • I can't take Rick seriously he honest to God sounds like he ate some suspicious Taco Bell and he's emptying his guts on the hook.

  • @mrpieseller said:

    I mean i guess its different for everyone? My brother is the most die hard twd fan. He was a little weirded out by their screams initially, but quickly got used to it and now has Rick at p100. Once you play Rick and Daryl enough you get used to their screams pretty quickly

    I've seen some of the rare people push through and main them either way (haven't seen a michonne main though) But i've seen allot more say they were pushed away from playing them because of how they feel like the quality of the characters is much lower due to the sounds.

    I don't doubt even the diehard fans would love to have the screams sounding closer to the actors if it was possible.

  • @ShanoaLegendaryPlz said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097223#Comment_4097223

    I've seen some of the rare people push through and main them either way (haven't seen a michonne main though) But i've seen allot more say they were pushed away from playing them because of how they feel like the quality of the characters is much lower due to the sounds.

    I don't doubt even the diehard fans would love to have the screams sounding closer to the actors if it was possible.

    Oh I agree myself, my brother and most others would prefer they have better screams. Im just saying in this case and possibly others its possible to get used to (for me at least. I know its harder for others)

  • @ShanoaLegendaryPlz said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097223#Comment_4097223

    I've seen some of the rare people push through and main them either way (haven't seen a michonne main though) But i've seen allot more say they were pushed away from playing them because of how they feel like the quality of the characters is much lower due to the sounds.

    I don't doubt even the diehard fans would love to have the screams sounding closer to the actors if it was possible.

    I only started playing DBD because they added TWD and I’m currently on a journey to get Rick / Michonne to P100. I guess I’m technically a Michonne main, as I alternate between Rick, Daryl, Maggie and Michonne. Soon I’ll be adding Glenn to that mix.

    Although I wish Andrew and Norman had also provided the grunts of pain / hook screams like Lauren did, I don’t think they’re as bad as people make out and I do think they sound quite similar to the actual actors, especially Daryl. At times it sounds like Norman to me.

    It’s definitely not a deal breaker as I’m just happy I get to play as my favourite characters from my favourite show. I also love the in-game voice lines and how the TWD characters interact with each other in the trials.

    IMG_1596.jpeg

    I actually get quite a lot of survivors switching to TWD survivors when I enter the lobby, so there’s definitely still a strong fandom for them within the DBD community.

  • @mrpieseller said:

    I mean i guess its different for everyone? My brother is the most die hard twd fan. He was a little weirded out by their screams initially, but quickly got used to it and now has Rick at p100. Once you play Rick and Daryl enough you get used to their screams pretty quickly

    Another die hard TWD fan here. 👋🏻

    I also don’t mind their grunts of pain / hook screams and actually think the V/A did a good job at emulating Andrew and Norman. I religiously use Iron Will though, so I rarely have to hear my survivors when they’re injured anyway… lol

  • @TheTWDFan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097223#Comment_4097223

    Another die hard TWD fan here. 👋🏻

    I also don’t mind their grunts of pain / hook screams and actually think the V/A did a good job at emulating Andrew and Norman. I religiously use Iron Will though, so I rarely have to hear my survivors when they’re injured anyway… lol

    I think they did a good job too. The main complaint however is about the contrast between the 2 voice actors on each person for most its very noticeable and bothers them. I still play them myself it takes a lot more than that to bother me from playing a character, for example i still occasionally play as Yui despite how i loathe her now because the cosplay for Shanoa is why i'll probly never see a Shanoa Legendary lol.

  • @TheTWDFan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097273#Comment_4097273

    I only started playing DBD because they added TWD and I’m currently on a journey to get Rick / Michonne to P100. I guess I’m technically a Michonne main, as I alternate between Rick, Daryl, Maggie and Michonne. Soon I’ll be adding Glenn to that mix.

    Although I wish Andrew and Norman had also provided the grunts of pain / hook screams like Lauren did, I don’t think they’re as bad as people make out and I do think they sound quite similar to the actual actors, especially Daryl. At times it sounds like Norman to me.

    It’s definitely not a deal breaker as I’m just happy I get to play as my favourite characters from my favourite show. I also love the in-game voice lines and how the TWD characters interact with each other in the trials.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/IESHKDA36039/img-1596.jpeg

    I actually get quite a lot of survivors switching to TWD survivors when I enter the lobby, so there’s definitely still a strong fandom for them within the DBD community.

    Right?? This is how I feel about it too! Honestly Im so glad that Lauren Cohan did the screams, maybe she needed the cash or shes just super passionate about nobody else playing Maggie. Regarding Glenn, we actually know what hes gonna sound like! The same actor who voiced Glenn in TWD Destinies is voicing him in dbd. You can search up the "Twd Destinies Glenn Trailer" to see what he'll sound like

  • @mrpieseller said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097295#Comment_4097295

    Right?? This is how I feel about it too! Honestly Im so glad that Lauren Cohan did the screams, maybe she needed the cash or shes just super passionate about nobody else playing Maggie. Regarding Glenn, we actually know what hes gonna sound like! The same actor who voiced Glenn in TWD Destinies is voicing him in dbd. You can search up the "Twd Destinies Glenn Trailer" to see what he'll sound like

    I don’t think it’s that she needed the cash because she’s currently starring in TWD: Dead City which is about to start airing its third season later this month. There’s obviously a reason and it could be as simple as Andrew and Norman not wanting to strain their voices. I’m just glad they at least provided the voice lines as they always make me smile when I hear them in the lobbies / in game.

    I’m familiar with Matthew Yang King as I’ve played TWD: Destinies and I think he did a good job. He definitely had the essence of Glenn. I still can’t believe Glenn and Negan are coming to the game. I’m so excited. I just hope Carol also comes at some point.

  • @ShanoaLegendaryPlz said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097296#Comment_4097296

    I think they did a good job too. The main complaint however is about the contrast between the 2 voice actors on each person for most its very noticeable and bothers them. I still play them myself it takes a lot more than that to bother me from playing a character, for example i still occasionally play as Yui despite how i loathe her now because the cosplay for Shanoa is why i'll probly never see a Shanoa Legendary lol.

    I think they sounded really bad at launch because they were bugged and so obnoxiously loud. Especially Michonne. I found it really hard to play as her because she was so loud. Especially when she was running. I think a lot of the negative reaction is down to how buggy the chapter release was. I think if the characters had been added in their current state, then the backlash wouldn’t have been so extreme. I know some people would have still been disappointed that Andrew and Norman weren’t doing the injured sounds, but I don’t think them being SO loud helped with people’s perception of them going forward - or maybe I’m too much of a TWD fan to care and allow my excitement to take over! lol

    I feel for ya. It must suck wanting a character in the game, only for them to end up as cosplay for somebody else. I would hate if they brought Carol or Glenn to the game in that capacity.

  • @TheTWDFan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4097327#Comment_4097327

    I think they sounded really bad at launch because they were bugged and so obnoxiously loud. Especially Michonne. I found it really hard to play as her because she was so loud. Especially when she was running. I think a lot of the negative reaction is down to how buggy the chapter release was. I think if the characters had been added in their current state, then the backlash wouldn’t have been so extreme. I know some people would have still been disappointed that Andrew and Norman weren’t doing the injured sounds, but I don’t think them being SO loud helped with people’s perception of them going forward - or maybe I’m too much of a TWD fan to care and allow my excitement to take over! lol

    I feel for ya. It must suck wanting a character in the game, only for them to end up as cosplay for somebody else. I would hate if they brought Carol or Glenn to the game in that capacity.

    And not just 1 lol Simon Belmont too.

    I'd say my favorite from TWD is Maggie and not because of the fact that she came in with the full package, but just in general favorite character of the show. I've only watched up to the end of the Governer arc (so i don't even really know what Michonne is supposed to sound like which is why i don't mind her voicework either). By the time i got to that part there was all the drama going on about Glen being killed off. Twice. And i kinda realised then that the whole show was no longer about surviving a zombie appocolypse but more of about drama and people fighting and torturing eachother over scraps while zombies were in the background kinda thing and ended up not watching the rest of it.

    Not to slander the show or anything it just went in a direction i wasn't interested in.