Gen speeds or Gen repair perks - which is broken?

I would consider myself to be at least semi-decent at the game as a killer in chase+map pressure, but I have noticed many times that if O do not win a chase within 20 seconds, then I am essentially giving away a generator for free.

With the standard non-buffed repair time being 90 seconds, one would think that is enough time for killers to do small chases or try to have fun - but with so many repair perks/tool boxes - I have had many games where generators fly.

Last game (last night) I had not 1, not 2, but 3 generators go off in aprox 100 seconds of the game having started, give or take 10 seconds, and I had already (at that point) hooked 1 survivor and was actively chasing a 2nd. Now I am NOT going to say anything about cheaters b/c after looking at the build the survivors were using -it made sense.

My question is - should the base repair time of generators be increased - or the strength of repair perks be nerfed? I personally do not enjoy slugging, tunneling, etc (unless the survs are t-bagging the game or all running flashlights/trying to BM me) (in which case I take joy in slugging lol). I truthfully WANT to be able to have a chase w/ someone and not have it end w/ a win or loss in less than 20 seconds, but if I do so I notice that I basically throw the game.

And for those saying "swf" - that is merely a cop-out excuse as to why generators go so fast, co-ordination can only do so much when a generator is completed on avg (from that last game) in under 1 minute.

I truly feel as if I am FORCED to tunnel to have even a chance and even then its not easy. Playing as a survivor - I have been able to get a generator done in under 1 minute w/ only 1 other survivor. I can personally see this as being *an issue even though it benefits me personally.

Comments

  • OFC I was simply using last night's game as an example - I often feel forced to tunnel b/c gen speeds are ridiculous in many games. The fastest I have personally seen was a 5 min 4 man escape, but I can say my avg game length is aprox 10-14 minutes. 90 seconds repair time *sounds like a lot but it really isnt when you can individually knock out a generator in about 1 minute.

  • Both are unhealthy for the game honestly, enable snowballing

  • The answer, I would strenuously argue, is neither.

    Default gen speeds are perfectly fair. Good killer play can disrupt it and slow things down, but skillful survivor play + decisionmaking can tilt the match in their favour, I think it's pretty fair.

    Gen repair perks range from decent but not incredible to outright bad. The ones that are worth running typically provide a passive but inconsequential boost (eg, Deja Vu) or they provide a more noticeable boost that requires something from you to activate (eg, Overzealous).

    Where the problem lays is in two places, one major and one minor. The minor one, just to get it out of the way, is a lot of commenters don't generally understand how to slow gens down or even that it's something they need to be concerned with, and misplace their complaint onto gen speeds. This isn't always the case and it doesn't have to be the ONLY thing happening in any given complaint, but it's worth mentioning.

    The major problem is toolboxes. No perk build that doesn't involve toolboxes can even scratch the effectiveness of a stacked toolbox with even just one extra perk to support it, let alone a full build. Toolboxes are so extravagantly overtuned that, were they to be fixed in any given patch (such as by removing their repair speed bonus and replacing it with something else), genrushing as we know it would disappear overnight.

    I do think the distinction matters, because the source of the problem really is very specific and not identifying that could lead to nerfs that target the wrong thing and don't address the problem.

  • There’s also some subtle cheating that goes on where gens pop suspiciously fast. I’ve seen many examples where I’ve gone past multiple gens with zero progress, started a chase and then see two of those gens pop in a minute or less and survivors don’t have toolboxes or gen speed perks.

  • If you feel forced to tunnel you made mistakes before. Instead of throwing the same tantrum as every killer in these forum, you could focus on getting a better understanding of the game mechanics. We dont need another gen speed nerf as long as its just too easy as killer to rely on "killer strategies".

  • @Yamalive said:

    If you feel forced to tunnel you made mistakes before. Instead of throwing the same tantrum as every killer in these forum, you could focus on getting a better understanding of the game mechanics. We dont need another gen speed nerf as long as its just too easy as killer to rely on "killer strategies".

    then explain what I should do when I have 4 hooks by 3 mins and 3 gens are done + 1 is 1/2 done (yes this has happened on 2 occasions). I play both low and high mobility killers

  • This is a valid argument tbh. Toolboxes are incredibly potent - my personal gen rush build lets me crank out a full gen in a little under a minute solo. Stack it w/ over ppl and we can do it in a theoretial 35-45 seconds (depending on the # of great skill checks we succeed).

  • Generators base time are perfectly fine survivors have just learnt to split gens and apply pressure along with looping being easier than ever it makes it feel like gens are flying. Aside from that perks like hyperfocus/bardic do need to be nerfed as they've been meta for years and don't require any skill to use.

  • @Your_Dad_Playing_DbD said:

    There’s also some subtle cheating that goes on where gens pop suspiciously fast. I’ve seen many examples where I’ve gone past multiple gens with zero progress, started a chase and then see two of those gens pop in a minute or less and survivors don’t have toolboxes or gen speed perks.

    I am sure that cheating goes by undetected, though I do not personally want to throw around the term "cheater" unless it is apparent or semi obvious. In the cases I am referring to, I do not believe there was any cheating. Now I 100% HAVE encountered obvious cheaters on a few occasions ( teleporting across map, infinite health states, perma-faster than killer, etc). Though thats only really in 1:10 games

  • @Yamalive said:

    If you feel forced to tunnel you made mistakes before. Instead of throwing the same tantrum as every killer in these forum, you could focus on getting a better understanding of the game mechanics. We dont need another gen speed nerf as long as its just too easy as killer to rely on "killer strategies".

    I think being passive aggressive about killer strategy just doesn't help get your point across. I mean what about the "survivor strategy" of sit gens the whole game and hide/pre-run the moment you get a tickle of TR. It's just about playing the game as efficient as you can. It just so happens that survivors have a significantly easier time playing as efficiently as possible compared to killer. We have to deal with DH, DS, OTR, Basekit BT, Deli, and STB. While survivors have to worry about basically nothing.

    Also, 85% of the killer roster has nothing to help them with proper macro play. Dropping chase with someone to interrupt a gen just means that person gets back on the gen you interrupted or they go back to the gen they were already. This is compounded by medkits and toolboxes being in every match and healing basically costing no time to do. So you drop chase to do macro play just to get punished even harder. It makes no sense. These are the reasons that killers tunnel.

    Literally just played a match I had no chance of winning. I played as good as I good but it was literally pallet after pallet after pallet with a swf into 3 medkits so my injuries meant nothing. Like of course I'm going to tunnel to apply any form of pressure I could.