Survivor Entitlement & Disconnections

I recently watched a video on how players will DC simply because that survivor didn't feel like playing against that killer. So I decided to put this to the test and play 3 matches of 5 different killers those killers being Oni, Wesker, Kaneki, Plague, and Hag. In these matches I wouldn't tunnel or 4 man slug however I would still try to win.

For killers people disconnected against there were zero Oni disconnects zero Wesker disconnects (who would've thought) there were instead 2 Kaneki disconnects/people refusing to play 2 Plague disconnects and one hag match had a disconnect. So in total 5 out of 15 matches had a disconnect or people just wouldn't play the game at all.

Now you may be asking why is this a problem? Well when a killer disconnects nobody gets hurt survivors get to go to the next match and they keep any bloodpoints they earned along with EXP. However when a survivor disconnects as long as its a competent killer player on the other side of the screen it is literally impossible for survivors to win since its essentially turned into a 3v1 from the start of the match this is further amplified if instead of disconnecting the survivor kills themselves to avoid penalties

Some people are for sure gonna think well you're winning the match why does it matter? I mean its gotten to the point where I genuinely have a 72% kill rate with Kaneki after 15 hours on him simply because people give up in so many of my games. Yes I am complaining because mine and many other peoples kill rates are beginning to become inflated and since BHVR does their changes based on stats this largely affects the balance of the game.

I wanted to explain why this is unfun for both sides in case people wanted to argue with me about it and why it cannot be fixed. Killers disconnecting isn't really much of a problem since the survivors all escape keep their bloodpoints and the match ends so nobody gets hurt. However when a survivor disconnects the match doesn't end but its immediately lost instead because it is.

My idea for a way to solve this problem that will never come to fruition is as follows:

1: increase DC penalties

2: increase DC penalties

3: increase DC penalties

OR make it so the match ends when a survivor gives up in order to not waste anybodys time and not give the killer a free win. This feels terrible to play with and against for both sides as it literally ruins the match. Sadly if either of my ideas actually happens people will complain sooo much.

If you down vote me or genuinely think this is stupid I would love to hear peoples opinion I'm not trying to push Us vs Them mentality its just that when a survivor disconnects one side easily wins and they are forced to play a lost game

Tagged: Survivors

Comments

  • BHVR has said they exclude matches with DCs for the official stats they release. Mandy has also said that the stat page has no correlation to their internal data. Your personal stats aren't a good example of what they might be using behind the scenes to make changes. The site is known to have numerous flaws.

    If DC punishments get worse, more people will die on purpose. If anything, they should be punished less, as those instances are actually messing up the stats if the system doesn't flag it as intentional. I'd also rather have a bot than a thrower as a teammate. They just need to make the bots better.

  • @cogsturning said:

    BHVR has said they exclude matches with DCs for the official stats they release. Mandy has also said that the stat page has no correlation to their internal data. Your personal stats aren't a good example of what they might be using behind the scenes to make changes. The site is known to have numerous flaws.

    If DC punishments get worse, more people will die on purpose. If anything, they should be punished less, as those instances are actually messing up the stats if the system doesn't flag it as intentional. I'd also rather have a bot than a thrower as a teammate. They just need to make the bots better.

    Didn't know that and I didn't think about the bigger problem with larger dc timers

  • Fully agree that DC penalties need to be increased. Based on past discussions on this topic I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the fact that this is an unpopular opinion explains exactly why there is such an epidemic with people disconnecting. Many players simply do not care if they ruin other people’s games and they think they are entitled to do so.

  • DC penalties don’t actually discourage people from disconnecting. Increasing the penalty time won’t address the real reasons players choose to DC in the first place. The community has latched onto “entitlement” as the catch‑all explanation, but that oversimplifies the issue and ignores the underlying problems that drive players to disconnect.

  • @ElodieSimp said:

    DC penalties don’t actually discourage people from disconnecting. Increasing the penalty time won’t address the real reasons players choose to DC in the first place. The community has latched onto “entitlement” as the catch‑all explanation, but that oversimplifies the issue and ignores the underlying problems that drive players to disconnect.

    I don't know any time I get disconnects as killer its because I either found them instantly / got too many hooks early so its a "lost game" or its a "boring killer" so what other underlying problems cause disconnections

  • @Your_Dad_Playing_DbD said:

    Fully agree that DC penalties need to be increased. Based on past discussions on this topic I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the fact that this is an unpopular opinion explains exactly why there is such an epidemic with people disconnecting. Many players simply do not care if they ruin other people’s games and they think they are entitled to do so.

    I can count on my fingers how many times I've DCed, and it's never once been as survivor. I don't even use the abandon option. And I'm still against increasing DC penalties. They will only make more problems.

  • @pidgeon said:

    I recently watched a video on how players will DC simply because that survivor didn't feel like playing against that killer. So I decided to put this to the test and play 3 matches of 5 different killers those killers being Oni, Wesker, Kaneki, Plague, and Hag. In these matches I wouldn't tunnel or 4 man slug however I would still try to win.

    For killers people disconnected against there were zero Oni disconnects zero Wesker disconnects (who would've thought) there were instead 2 Kaneki disconnects/people refusing to play 2 Plague disconnects and one hag match had a disconnect. So in total 5 out of 15 matches had a disconnect or people just wouldn't play the game at all.

    Now you may be asking why is this a problem? Well when a killer disconnects nobody gets hurt survivors get to go to the next match and they keep any bloodpoints they earned along with EXP. However when a survivor disconnects as long as its a competent killer player on the other side of the screen it is literally impossible for survivors to win since its essentially turned into a 3v1 from the start of the match this is further amplified if instead of disconnecting the survivor kills themselves to avoid penalties

    Some people are for sure gonna think well you're winning the match why does it matter? I mean its gotten to the point where I genuinely have a 72% kill rate with Kaneki after 15 hours on him simply because people give up in so many of my games. Yes I am complaining because mine and many other peoples kill rates are beginning to become inflated and since BHVR does their changes based on stats this largely affects the balance of the game.

    I wanted to explain why this is unfun for both sides in case people wanted to argue with me about it and why it cannot be fixed. Killers disconnecting isn't really much of a problem since the survivors all escape keep their bloodpoints and the match ends so nobody gets hurt. However when a survivor disconnects the match doesn't end but its immediately lost instead because it is.

    My idea for a way to solve this problem that will never come to fruition is as follows:

    1: increase DC penalties

    2: increase DC penalties

    3: increase DC penalties

    OR make it so the match ends when a survivor gives up in order to not waste anybodys time and not give the killer a free win. This feels terrible to play with and against for both sides as it literally ruins the match. Sadly if either of my ideas actually happens people will complain sooo much.

    If you down vote me or genuinely think this is stupid I would love to hear peoples opinion I'm not trying to push Us vs Them mentality its just that when a survivor disconnects one side easily wins and they are forced to play a lost game

    Not once you addressed the real core issue with WHY people disconnect.. you just want a "quick fix" that actually makes the experience worse for both sides.. nobody disconnects because they have a turkey in the oven btw… I speak for myself mostly, but I'd like to think that people play this game to have some sort of fun.. nobody understands that all this toxicity comes from really bad game design, and not addressing the real issues with the game.. people are constantly frustrated and become toxic, with each other, because of different game mechanics being abused.. it's a cascading effect.. basic human nature… you get 4man slugged or camped all game, then next games you wanna annoy the killer too.. then he gets frustrated and so on.. if you have to be a good looper just to enjoy the game, then what happens with new players? and yes, if survivors leave as a protest, because the game IS NOT ENJOYABLE, against badly designed killers, why the solution is to punish the person who didn't wanna stay in a "toxic relationship".. it's a very common misconception of what is a win and what isn't.. and people STILL think, after 10 years, that DBD is about escaping or killing.. I've had more fun in games where survivors and killers were goofing around..

  • Idk I have the sole belief people shouldn't play a game if they aren't prepared for going against every character / arent able to have fun if they can't go against the ones they like. You shouldn't be able to just leave and ruin it for everyone else because people don't wanna learn counter play or learn to have fun with any part of the game. Also how does increased penalties make the game worse for both sides it literally punishes people for ruining matches? The post wasn't about toxicity its about how disconnecting is unhealthy for the game and ruins matches by making them an autowin for the killer. Also if you are salty because you were slugged/tunneled in a previous match or if people just aren't having fun with the game because they don't verse their favorite 5 killers every match then they should take a break and do something else. I am glad you have fun when people goof around, so do I but a lot of people want to actually play the game and win. Disconnecting makes doing that extremely unfair and unfun for both sides. @Sauroth

  • Solving the problem which causes DC and make the game joyable to both sides OR just increase DC penalities. Difficulty

  • @pidgeon

    And you still didn't answer.. WHY DO PEOPLE GENERALLY LEAVE? are they evil, and want to ruin other people's game? are they bored? are they scared? are they enjoying the game too much, and wanna leave before they get addicted to it?

    Solving an issue, starts from first realizing and then understanding where the roots are.. just whining that 'game is ruined because someone disconnected' doesn't mean anything.. did you think that the game might be already ruined because someone cannot enjoy the actual gameplay.. I think it's reasonable to want to avoid something that causes you discomfort.. your argument "git good" doesn't mean anything to a player who plays the game for different reasons, than to sweat for the win.. nowhere does it say, that YOU HAVE TO WIN, YOU HAVE TO KILL, YOU HAVE TO CHASE, YOU HAVE TO ESCAPE… you can literally enter the game and sit in the center of the map if you so desire.. what makes the game enjoyable to you, is not necessarily the same for others.. using the available abilities and mechanics of the game, to create your own experience sounds much better than "play the game to win".

    So let me ask again, in case you forgot.. why do you think people leave?

  • So when the killer disconnects, it's ok and fair, but once it affects them, it's no longer true... The game should be "fun" for all 5 players, not just 4 or 1 individually. Moreover, "fun" is such a vague concept between players. Increasing the penalty time won't change anything, but it will increase the likelihood of people ruining the game for others instead of leaving the bot: chasing the killer, spamming lockers, dropping all the pallets on the map, and who knows what else

    Moreover, I don't know what world you and those content creators live in, but in my experience, you still have the possibility of 3 people winning in +2. Taking out the weakest player early or tunneling is not a guarantee of the killer's win

    Furthermore, what do you mean by "fun"? And explain why your assumptions about it should apply to every person playing this game.

  • I disagree when you say "If a killer dc's, nobody is hurt" because it's never a good feeling having a game suddenly end, especially if you're doing good. I want to play the game, not get booted to the lobby because a killer had a hissy fit, queue up, load into that lobby, wait for 5 minutes because someone is always afk to ready up, and then load into a new game.

    I've played a handful of matches tonight, and I've had about 4 killers dc because they were looped for too long. If killers are wanting me to finish the game I started, I get the right to ask that out of you. You don't get to quit guilt free and complain about "survivor entitlement" when you're just as entitled.

  • @ElodieSimp said:

    DC penalties don’t actually discourage people from disconnecting. Increasing the penalty time won’t address the real reasons players choose to DC in the first place. The community has latched onto “entitlement” as the catch‑all explanation, but that oversimplifies the issue and ignores the underlying problems that drive players to disconnect.

    Very true.

    I once had an actual discussion about it in here, with the objective of understanding why people DC in the first place. My conclusion is that it was all caused by gradual worsening of the survivor experience over time, and increasing penalties won't solve that.

  • @BigKingWoof said:

    I disagree when you say "If a killer dc's, nobody is hurt" because it's never a good feeling having a game suddenly end, especially if you're doing good. I want to play the game, not get booted to the lobby because a killer had a hissy fit, queue up, load into that lobby, wait for 5 minutes because someone is always afk to ready up, and then load into a new game.

    I've played a handful of matches tonight, and I've had about 4 killers dc because they were looped for too long. If killers are wanting me to finish the game I started, I get the right to ask that out of you. You don't get to quit guilt free and complain about "survivor entitlement" when you're just as entitled.

    I personally don't have a queue problem as when the match ends me and my duo just instantly queue and load in to a match a minute later and we personally find it funny when a killer disconnects because its like "lmao I looped him for 3 gens and he just quit" then by the time were done talking about it or the previous coversation topic were already in another match. I am sorry that your teammates don't ready up.

    @Sauroth said:

    @pidgeon

    And you still didn't answer.. WHY DO PEOPLE GENERALLY LEAVE? are they evil, and want to ruin other people's game? are they bored? are they scared? are they enjoying the game too much, and wanna leave before they get addicted to it?

    Solving an issue, starts from first realizing and then understanding where the roots are.. just whining that 'game is ruined because someone disconnected' doesn't mean anything.. did you think that the game might be already ruined because someone cannot enjoy the actual gameplay.. I think it's reasonable to want to avoid something that causes you discomfort.. your argument "git good" doesn't mean anything to a player who plays the game for different reasons, than to sweat for the win.. nowhere does it say, that YOU HAVE TO WIN, YOU HAVE TO KILL, YOU HAVE TO CHASE, YOU HAVE TO ESCAPE… you can literally enter the game and sit in the center of the map if you so desire.. what makes the game enjoyable to you, is not necessarily the same for others.. using the available abilities and mechanics of the game, to create your own experience sounds much better than "play the game to win".. disconnecting from the game is AN ACTUAL GAME MECHANIC, believe it or not.. adding a penalty, is just adding another mechanic to the game, that doesn't solve anything, it's just a band-aid for a 10 year old problem..

    So let me ask again, in case you forgot.. why do you think people leave?

    1: I already answered this by saying people don't have fun and/or don't want to learn to have fun against certain killers hence why they dc I then tested this by playing as killers people generally liked and killers people don't like (Plague, Kaneki, Hag)

    2: Again if you play a game and only want to interact with the same 10 characters every match when there are 40+ that is your problem not the games.

    3: I agree with this but if you ask the majority of people who play this game what will they say? Who guessed it they want to play the game. And playing the game requires you to kill survivors and doing generators sometimes doing that can win the game. Based on various circumstances that can be easier or harder. I myself have started doing a Sadako winstreak with just condemned I'm not saying you shouldn't play how you want I'm saying you shouldn't expect to play against the worst players ever or the easiest killer to loop ever ect. I am just saying that it ruins matches when people disconnect.

    4: Adding an increased penalty stops people who do not want to play the game from playing the game it makes perfect sense to me

    @Dem34888 said:

    So when the killer disconnects, it's ok and fair, but once it affects them, it's no longer true... The game should be "fun" for all 5 players, not just 4 or 1 individually. Moreover, "fun" is such a vague concept between players. Increasing the penalty time won't change anything, but it will increase the likelihood of people ruining the game for others instead of leaving the bot: chasing the killer, spamming lockers, dropping all the pallets on the map, and who knows what else

    Moreover, I don't know what world you and those content creators live in, but in my experience, you still have the possibility of 3 people winning in +2. Taking out the weakest player early or tunneling is not a guarantee of the killer's win

    Furthermore, what do you mean by "fun"? And explain why your assumptions about it should apply to every person playing this game.

    When a survivor disconnects it affects everyone else in the lobby in a pretty big way since your new teammate is almost useless in chase and extremely buggy. I partly agree with this second statement being that not everyone will have fun but I feel just because you aren't having fun doesn't mean you should ruin it by making the game way harder.

    I agree as long as the team is strong and efficient but this rarely happens in public matches as long as its not one of the worst killers in the game and said player is competent with the killer and game knowledge its very easy to win a 3v1 as long as you play into your generators.

    By fun being affected by people disconnecting is when you would play basketball outside with your friends the one of them gets mad and goes inside, as I type this I realize this is a terrible example but my point still stands its pretty hard to win a match without a full team.

    And my definition of fun in a PvP game is when I get to express my skill in a game and have a fair match.