Killer is in the worst place it's ever been

this is my opinion post for any dev that wants feedback but killer is

The most unfun and aggravating role you could possibly play and the devs don't improve it idk why

survivors will sit there and say virtually ANYTHING in after chat and have no idea how bad it actually is because they don't play it, they have no clue. They'd rather talk smack and run in circles or hold left click and space. Then cry endlessly if they get downed or lose one match.

survivors have endless overpowered perks at their fingertips and all the good killer perks are locked behind mostly hex's that can be turned off at the start of the match for the rest of the match.

gen rushing is ridiculous

there' way too many pallets everywhere and perks to tell you where they all are

bloodlust is actually the most useless killer mechanic imaginable in how it works

There's a good amount of killers that didn't age well into the new meta AT ALL and they remain at the bottom of the barrel.

Unless you play like an absolute bully on an S tier killer or your niche pick you won't really win, and even if you do, you can't enjoy your win or branch out. The survivors are allowed to leave at their convenience to avoid "slugging" which is partly what you have to do in some strategies to win the match. Survivors have like over 3-4 perks to counter it and still complain and will complain if you try and get a 4k which is the whole purpose of killer.

I'm hoping with the addition to Jason it will become more fun but he'll probably get nerfed and shoved in the back like the other handful

I'm closing with if anyone want's to put their killer builds or tips here that's welcome but I wish they would balance this out already and take the power role away from survivors.

Comments

  • A big part of the problem is that BHVR doesn't really play killer. We've seen the current dev team talk on live stream and they make it very clear they have a bias towards survivor.

    My personal opinion is that both killer and survivor are some of the worst pain points in this game's history. Solo survivor can be practically unplayable because too many survivors give up at the slightest inconvenience. Killer gams are often either boring because survivors give up instantly or aggravating because the survivors who don't give up know how to utilize all the resources available to them.

    The game being as fast paced as it is just leads to both sides rushing their only objective which isn't fun to face.

    There's a lot of areas the devs need to do overhauls to improve gameplay for both sides, but not only do the devs take months to put out small adjustments but I can't see them committing to massive gameplay overhauls. Even the poorly thought anti-camp/tunnel/slugging changes where just bandaid fixes that didn't try to change up gameplay mechanics.

  • @Crowman said:

    A big part of the problem is that BHVR doesn't really play killer. We've seen the current dev team talk on live stream and they make it very clear they have a bias towards survivor.

    My personal opinion is that both killer and survivor are some of the worst pain points in this game's history. Solo survivor can be practically unplayable because too many survivors give up at the slightest inconvenience. Killer gams are often either boring because survivors give up instantly or aggravating because the survivors who don't give up know how to utilize all the resources available to them.

    The game being as fast paced as it is just leads to both sides rushing their only objective which isn't fun to face.

    There's a lot of areas the devs need to do overhauls to improve gameplay for both sides, but not only do the devs take months to put out small adjustments but I can't see them committing to massive gameplay overhauls. Even the poorly thought anti-camp/tunnel/slugging changes where just bandaid fixes that didn't try to change up gameplay mechanics.

    There's a video i watched on someone going over that mechanic for anti-tunnel and etc but i'm not sure if you can post links here and I'm trying to be clear on my complaints but it's just so frustrating and disappointing. This game has a lot of reasons to play it but imo not many right now to enjoy it without some improvements, we need less ons the skins which some were great but way more on quality of life

  • I'm a killer main atm and I kinda disagree

    (Edit: mild rant incoming also respond to this and let me know if my takes are stupid)

    I do think however that the game has sucked out like 90% of the skill required to play the game which is really disheartening especially after they nerfed Wesker who was in a great spot for both sides and now he feels extremely easy and boring to play since they removed flicks and made techs incredibly easy.

    I agree that survivors have some absolutely insane perks that would be completely healthy for the game if people didn't optimize it by trying to force the tunnel so you get multiple health states out of it (DS, OTR, DH, ect.) Killers also have a bit of problematic perks but majority are only a problem from my experience if you run 3-4 slowdown, which with some killers is unfortunately needed.

    Survivors aren't genrushing nearly as much as you think its just the fact that ever since the pallet density update they went from 12-13 pallets per map to 20-22 which literally doesn't affect you as long as you play an A tier killer, even then by the time the pre dropping sable on tricksters delusion is hooked 2 gens are within 20 seconds of popping. I genuinely did not have a problem with pressuring gens against sprint burst teams until the pallet density update.

    The only low tiers I play that actually use bloodlust is Trapper Hag and Sadako and bloodlust genuinely works wonders for them (aside from hag) so I don't find much of an issue with it. But sadly if you wanna win with some of the lower tier killers you have to A: be insane at m1 chase or B: literally one trick the killer.

    Realistically if you are above average with the killer you play you should be winning with your killers I have about a 60%-70% kill rate with all my killers.

    For some builds you wanted I recommend not running regression perks based on kicking gen since right now depending on the killer you play you just don't have the time for it so I've been running stuff like Pain Resonance, Turn Back the Clock, and whatever other perks I feel works great with the killers. BUT if you play a high mobility killer Eruption + Pop is the best gen regression from my experience. For F2P regression I would run Ruin + Undying or Pain Resonance + Grim Embrace/Pop

    Some basic tips for killers:

    1: If you play a setup killer and do not have Corrupt Intervention play around your spawn since survivors will instantly get on generators in their spawn.

    2: I'm begging people to learn how to use crows properly especially if you have a bad headset this is genuinely game saving knowledge

    3: Use momentum tech if you haven't used for m1 chase already, if you don't know what it is watch a video its great

    4: Master your killer specific mindgames this isn't as important as the previous ones but I'd for sure recommend learning it. Examples would be stuff such as Sadako invisibility, or if you cancel your second dash as Houndmasters dog to make people run into you, or fake revving with chainsaw killers.

    5: Please stop overcommitting to chases if you jumpscare somebody with a stealth killer and they run away from your 3 gen across the map to shack its just not worth it

    6: Stay on one side of the map unless you are high mobility

    All in all, as long as you know how to play your killer properly and are good at applying pressure with said killer you should win about 60% of your games which I thought was stupid until I looked at my kill rates and my main killers all sit at around 65-70% kill rate. And remember to have fun and do not take the game seriously its not like the opinions of the unemployed matter to you.

  • @pidgeon said:

    I'm a killer main atm and I kinda disagree

    (Edit: mild rant incoming also respond to this and let me know if my takes are stupid)

    I do think however that the game has sucked out like 90% of the skill required to play the game which is really disheartening especially after they nerfed Wesker who was in a great spot for both sides and now he feels extremely easy and boring to play since they removed flicks and made techs incredibly easy.

    I agree that survivors have some absolutely insane perks that would be completely healthy for the game if people didn't optimize it by trying to force the tunnel so you get multiple health states out of it (DS, OTR, DH, ect.) Killers also have a bit of problematic perks but majority are only a problem from my experience if you run 3-4 slowdown, which with some killers is unfortunately needed.

    Survivors aren't genrushing nearly as much as you think its just the fact that ever since the pallet density update they went from 12-13 pallets per map to 20-22 which literally doesn't affect you as long as you play an A tier killer, even then by the time the pre dropping sable on tricksters delusion is hooked 2 gens are within 20 seconds of popping. I genuinely did not have a problem with pressuring gens against sprint burst teams until the pallet density update.

    The only low tiers I play that actually use bloodlust is Trapper Hag and Sadako and bloodlust genuinely works wonders for them (aside from hag) so I don't find much of an issue with it. But sadly if you wanna win with some of the lower tier killers you have to A: be insane at m1 chase or B: literally one trick the killer.

    Realistically if you are above average with the killer you play you should be winning with your killers I have about a 60%-70% kill rate with all my killers.

    For some builds you wanted I recommend not running regression perks based on kicking gen since right now depending on the killer you play you just don't have the time for it so I've been running stuff like Pain Resonance, Turn Back the Clock, and whatever other perks I feel works great with the killers. BUT if you play a high mobility killer Eruption + Pop is the best gen regression from my experience. For F2P regression I would run Ruin + Undying or Pain Resonance + Grim Embrace/Pop

    Some basic tips for killers:

    1: If you play a setup killer and do not have Corrupt Intervention play around your spawn since survivors will instantly get on generators in their spawn.

    2: I'm begging people to learn how to use crows properly especially if you have a bad headset this is genuinely game saving knowledge

    3: Use momentum tech if you haven't used for m1 chase already, if you don't know what it is watch a video its great

    4: Master your killer specific mindgames this isn't as important as the previous ones but I'd for sure recommend learning it. Examples would be stuff such as Sadako invisibility, or if you cancel your second dash as Houndmasters dog to make people run into you, or fake revving with chainsaw killers.

    5: Please stop overcommitting to chases if you jumpscare somebody with a stealth killer and they run away from your 3 gen across the map to shack its just not worth it

    6: Stay on one side of the map unless you are high mobility

    All in all, as long as you know how to play your killer properly and are good at applying pressure with said killer you should win about 60% of your games which I thought was stupid until I looked at my kill rates and my main killers all sit at around 65-70% kill rate. And remember to have fun and do not take the game seriously its not like the opinions of the unemployed matter to you.

    I'm gonna try some of your build/play suggestions but I'm also gonna follow with that also

    The problem with this is in a general sense killer takes way to much to just enjoy casually if ever compared to survivor.

    "Unless you do this and unless you play like that" survivor doesn't have this issue nowadays, it's barebones, simple, with powerful, multiple, mega forgiving playstyles. How does that not give them the power role?

    very little is forgiving on killer, the game has a very distorted mechanic that's punishing the player for the way you need to play to get a victory.

    Mind games only work so much with some of the ways players can stretch out chases for gens to pop and you suggest not kicking gens for the most part

    If kicking gens is mostly not a good idea a strong handful of them should be completely changed or overhauled if that's the case. Why coax the player into wasting their time and slots on stuff that doesn't do much of anything but put them at a disadvantage?

    I personally think Hex perks should be able to be re lit unless the survivor destroys the totem. They can bless them over and over so the killer should be able to curse them at least more than once.

    Trying to not to commit to chases when they have 2-3 second chance perks is challenging because the amount of baseline regressions is embarrassing and just feels like the devs are too scared to punish the survivors at all. It takes almost nothing to make regression stop. Most cases too they can survive and choose to go down and get hooked to complete the generator.

    The focus should be more to limit the potential of teams running these very strong builds and voice communicating every move to have this much power in a match, I know for fact solo survivor is different and harder in some instances but there's more swf having killers against a wall with some of these builds or characters that are more quiet than others or blend in environments with different cosmetics.

    some of these things killers need perks for should be baseline in killer's role for them in a way that isn't game breaking.

  • @RavenBirb said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4085667#Comment_4085667

    I'm gonna try some of your build/play suggestions but I'm also gonna follow with that also

    The problem with this is in a general sense killer takes way to much to just enjoy casually if ever compared to survivor.

    "Unless you do this and unless you play like that" survivor doesn't have this issue nowadays, it's barebones, simple, with powerful, multiple, mega forgiving playstyles. How does that not give them the power role?

    very little is forgiving on killer, the game has a very distorted mechanic that's punishing the player for the way you need to play to get a victory.

    Mind games only work so much with some of the ways players can stretch out chases for gens to pop and you suggest not kicking gens for the most part

    If kicking gens is mostly not a good idea a strong handful of them should be completely changed or overhauled if that's the case. Why coax the player into wasting their time and slots on stuff that doesn't do much of anything but put them at a disadvantage?

    I personally think Hex perks should be able to be re lit unless the survivor destroys the totem. They can bless them over and over so the killer should be able to curse them at least more than once.

    Trying to not to commit to chases when they have 2-3 second chance perks is challenging because the amount of baseline regressions is embarrassing and just feels like the devs are too scared to punish the survivors at all. It takes almost nothing to make regression stop. Most cases too they can survive and choose to go down and get hooked to complete the generator.

    The focus should be more to limit the potential of teams running these very strong builds and voice communicating every move to have this much power in a match, I know for fact solo survivor is different and harder in some instances but there's more swf having killers against a wall with some of these builds or characters that are more quiet than others or blend in environments with different cosmetics.

    some of these things killers need perks for should be baseline in killer's role for them in a way that isn't game breaking.

    I completely agree that is it significantly harder to win a casual match if you aren't trying (unless you play a strong killer ofc even then it can still suck.)

  • Killer is in a terrible spot, except for where it isn't. The A+ tier killers are mostly fine. Everything else is so painful it feels like I should get a 401K for queueing into it.

  • the pallet situation has to change, imo

  • @NeverSolus said:

    Killer is in a terrible spot, except for where it isn't. The A+ tier killers are mostly fine. Everything else is so painful it feels like I should get a 401K for queueing into it.

    Yeah I agree with this. It's decent for A+ tiers, but for all the other killers below it gets progressively broken. Very hard to balance a game with Nurse and Ghostface existing simultaneously. They're just not even playing the same game.

    Honestly they need to work on bringing the outliers closer together. Like the best and the worst killers should not be even remotely as far apart as they currently are from each other in terms of power level.

  • @NeverSolus said:

    Killer is in a terrible spot, except for where it isn't. The A+ tier killers are mostly fine. Everything else is so painful it feels like I should get a 401K for queueing into it.

    thank you

  • Well, we know for a fact based on all the stats provided by the devs that's not true and that killers are doing fine and all of them except nurse I believe have an over 60% kill rate. So I'd say focus more on how it feels to play killer because the objective reality is that killers are actually all doing extremely well with the game being heavily biased in their favor.

  • @esarraf said:

    Well, we know for a fact based on all the stats provided by the devs that's not true and that killers are doing fine and all of them except nurse I believe have an over 60% kill rate. So I'd say focus more on how it feels to play killer because the objective reality is that killers are actually all doing extremely well with the game being heavily biased in their favor.

    and you can say for a fact that those numbers are true? lol ok

  • @coldflame said:

    the pallet situation has to change, imo

    Pallet density is a cop out to add anything new or exciting to the game. I agree it's ridiculous how many more there are, So we just spam pallets in every corner now? like that was ever fun to begin with. They couldn't bother adding one other thing to dodge or escape a chase from as a new feature. Instead were focusing on getting scooby doo cosmetics

  • @RavenBirb said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4087916#Comment_4087916

    and you can say for a fact that those numbers are true? lol ok

    Yeah? Unless you want to start a crazy conspiracy that the devs are lying.

  • @coldflame said:

    the pallet situation has to change, imo

    What should change is just buffing the lower tier killers that are borderline unplayable because they get bullied so heavily from all the pallets, they shined when you broke a chunk of them down some through the match. Now since theres much more they remain locked down for almost the whole match and it's not fun.