Voice Chat

Let's face it SoloQ will never be on the level of SWF so why not add proximity voice chat? Maybe even add a walkie talkie item that allows you to communicate over the map (with charges of course) If you don't want to participate in Voice chat there'll be an option to turn it off.

Comments

  • I wouldn't use it and I'd mute it by default. I am not going to listen to some 13 year olds screaming slurs into their vacuum cleaner or telling me about the things they will supposedly do to my family members and I reckon I am not alone.

    This however would put me and my entire team at a disadvantage because the game would need to balanced accordingly. It would only open up more ways for solo queue to be awful and destroy any traces of balance that we have in this game. There is also such a thing as a language barrier and background noise. If someone is not fluent in English (or whatever other language would be used to communicate) then the voice chat wouldn't help them at all and they'd be at the same disadvantage as someone, that has it muted. Background noise would also cover important ingame sounds like cues that a killer has fully charged their power etc.

    There are a lot of reasons why a voice chat has literally never fixed the solo queue issues in any game. A chat wheel would be way less prone to any of these flaws.

  • Because it won't help solo queue in any meaningful way and definitely won't bridge the gap between them and SWF.

    It would be kind of neat as a custom game option, though. Messing around with your friends in a custom game with proximity chat enabled would be really funny, and would allow for streamer/youtube content too.

  • @jesterkind said:

    Because it won't help solo queue in any meaningful way and definitely won't bridge the gap between them and SWF.

    It would be kind of neat as a custom game option, though. Messing around with your friends in a custom game with proximity chat enabled would be really funny, and would allow for streamer/youtube content too.

    Why not use Discord (or any other platform) though, if you're playing with your friends anyway? I'm not against adding it for custom games but I don't see the use in that.

  • @Xernoton said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3651562#Comment_3651562

    Why not use Discord (or any other platform) though, if you're playing with your friends anyway? I'm not against adding it for custom games but I don't see the use in that.

    Because it's proximity chat, which is a fun novelty. Discord doesn't give you the fade-out of leaving range, or the tension of calling out to see if someone's even in range to hear, etcetera.

    It'd be minor, but there'd be some use for it where there wouldn't be in regular games.

  • @Xernoton said:

    I wouldn't use it and I'd mute it by default. I am not going to listen to some 13 year olds screaming slurs into their vacuum cleaner or telling me about the things they will supposedly do to my family members and I reckon I am not alone.

    This however would put me and my entire team at a disadvantage because the game would need to balanced accordingly. It would only open up more ways for solo queue to be awful and destroy any traces of balance that we have in this game. There is also such a thing as a language barrier and background noise. If someone is not fluent in English (or whatever other language would be used to communicate) then the voice chat wouldn't help them at all and they'd be at the same disadvantage as someone, that has it muted. Background noise would also cover important ingame sounds like cues that a killer has fully charged their power etc.

    There are a lot of reasons why a voice chat has literally never fixed the solo queue issues in any game. A chat wheel would be way less prone to any of these flaws.

    I agree and I think chat wheel would be best option you can then communicate good enough without it breaking immersion of the game.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3651612#Comment_3651612

    Because it's proximity chat, which is a fun novelty. Discord doesn't give you the fade-out of leaving range, or the tension of calling out to see if someone's even in range to hear, etcetera.

    It'd be minor, but there'd be some use for it where there wouldn't be in regular games.

    That's fair.

  • because this community is one of the most toxoc communities i've ever seen...

    What we need is a simple dialogue wheel

  • Doesn't DBD mobile already have a chat wheel system of sorts? Just use that instead of the voice coms. Also have a limit on it so people can't spam it.

  • The reason I play SoloQ is because I don't want to hear kids ruin the experience for me, as well as I like that element of the game to be about survival and immersion, which I'd lose.

    The idea of it being optional also os problematic, because if someone doesn't wish to join in and the others do, I don't trust the others to work together to screw me over.

    There is already a solution in going to forums and finding people to play with. Many do this and look for others to team up with. I believe this is how it should stay as you can communicate well enough without with pointing, teabagging, nodding and such.

  • Haven't you heard? SWF and Solo are at the same level now.

  • I'll pass honestly. I think more information (moving all the stuff hidden in the tutorial and adding detailed explanations of killer powers, information on items/perks/addons and so on in a compendium more readily accessible) and a chat wheel would be better than voice. Voice chat only helps toxicity even more.

    And even if they add proximity chat, we already know SWF will just use discord and bypass the proximity requirements anyway. It won't be that much more powerful, but it's still an issue I believe should be brought up.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3651612#Comment_3651612

    Because it's proximity chat, which is a fun novelty. Discord doesn't give you the fade-out of leaving range, or the tension of calling out to see if someone's even in range to hear, etcetera.

    It'd be minor, but there'd be some use for it where there wouldn't be in regular games.

    Proxy chat would be damn fun in custom games. Unfortunately, as much as I wish for it to happen, I doubt BHVR would be willing to dedicate resources on something only playable in custom matches.

  • @Xernoton said:

    I wouldn't use it and I'd mute it by default. I am not going to listen to some 13 year olds screaming slurs into their vacuum cleaner or telling me about the things they will supposedly do to my family members and I reckon I am not alone.

    This however would put me and my entire team at a disadvantage because the game would need to balanced accordingly. It would only open up more ways for solo queue to be awful and destroy any traces of balance that we have in this game. There is also such a thing as a language barrier and background noise. If someone is not fluent in English (or whatever other language would be used to communicate) then the voice chat wouldn't help them at all and they'd be at the same disadvantage as someone, that has it muted. Background noise would also cover important ingame sounds like cues that a killer has fully charged their power etc.

    There are a lot of reasons why a voice chat has literally never fixed the solo queue issues in any game. A chat wheel would be way less prone to any of these flaws.

    Definite support for a chat wheel... and more emote/taunt animations. Asking for character voice lines is probably too much, and liable to being spammed, but I'd much MUCH rather more emotes than voice chat. I similarly would perma Mute in game voice chat.

    Would be a good thread to explore exactly what emotes and wheel chats we would want.

  • @UndeddJester said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3651559#Comment_3651559

    Definite support for a chat wheel... and more emote/taunt animations. Asking for character voice lines is probably too much, and liable to being spammed, but I'd much MUCH rather more emotes than voice chat. I similarly would perma Mute in game voice chat.

    Would be a good thread to explore exactly what emotes and wheel chats we would want.

    Would be a good thread to explore exactly what emotes and wheel chats we would want.

    Here you go.

    @Xernoton said:

    There have been a lot of debates over the years how to help solo queue survivors and bring them closer to a SWF. While the gap can never be fully bridged it can definitely be mitigated. One option for that is a voice chat. However voice chats can easily have the opposite effect and make solo queue even worse.

    Nobody likes listening to their team mates ranting about whatever it is that got them so upset and telling everyone of the things they'd like to do to your or your opponent's family. There are other reasons why a voice chat wouldn't be ideal but that's not what I want to focus on.

    Instead I would explore a different option. A chat wheel. For anyone who doesn't know, a chat wheel is typically a set of commands that can be used to communicate with team mates. The execution isn't quite so straight forward though, which is why I would like to hear everyone's opinions what commands would be useful and how a chat wheel should work.

    For example, the chat wheel could feature a set of emotes with different meanings like in DBD Mobile. Another option is for it is to work within a certain range (or map wide) and give either a small sign to your team mates or a simple sentence (no more than 5 words because it's too long to read otherwise).

    A list of commands I personally would like to see:

    • "Come with me." Straight forward and we even have an emote that implies this.
    • "I need a heal." Again straight forward and easy to do. It could be displayed as a small med kit icon next to your character on your team mate's HUD, as an animation or as a short text.
    • "Danger!" It could be used in different ways. To warn your team mates, that you saw the killer, that there is a dead zone or even to warn them of traps / drones.
    • "Go away." We all know that it's best to spread out but sometimes you'll have a team mate that really wants to spend some quality time with you on a gen. With this you could tell them, that you are opposed to that idea.
    • "Stop that!" Solo queue survivors are pretty special. Sometimes you have the god Nea in your team that loops the killer for 20 gens without ever dropping a pallet and sometimes you have a Claudette, that uses Self-Care right next to you.

    What other commands would you like to see and how would you implement them (text, emote, symbol)?

  • @Xernoton said:

    I wouldn't use it and I'd mute it by default. I am not going to listen to some 13 year olds screaming slurs into their vacuum cleaner or telling me about the things they will supposedly do to my family members and I reckon I am not alone.

    This however would put me and my entire team at a disadvantage because the game would need to balanced accordingly. It would only open up more ways for solo queue to be awful and destroy any traces of balance that we have in this game. There is also such a thing as a language barrier and background noise. If someone is not fluent in English (or whatever other language would be used to communicate) then the voice chat wouldn't help them at all and they'd be at the same disadvantage as someone, that has it muted. Background noise would also cover important ingame sounds like cues that a killer has fully charged their power etc.

    There are a lot of reasons why a voice chat has literally never fixed the solo queue issues in any game. A chat wheel would be way less prone to any of these flaws.

    "Screaming into their vacuum cleaner" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚