Camping: when is it ok?
Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.
So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....
Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.
hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.
Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.
And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.
This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.
Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.
And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!
Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.
So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.
But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Comments
If I hook someone, leave, and they're getting close to second stage or death and haven't been saved yet, I'm going to camp out the next hook state and the survivors have 0 right to complain bc that is fully their fault.
Camping is NEVER ok!
But it is not the killer's fault either. The problem is a potentially toxic mechanic.
Camping and tunnelling only happens because the killer is allowed to by the game, the entire hook mechanic can bring the biggest amount of toxicity in the game (killer-wise).
Once a survivor is downed they should just disappear to a safe zone, fill up the sacrifice meter and respawn in a zone only available to survivors with more than one exit.
The team can rescue them and decide whether to heal or not and then start playing the game again. The third time you are downed you are dead.
This gives every survivor a chance to play the game properly, once this is done buff killers to compensate
That's not the worst idea but then the game must get longer for the survivors cause every unhook is free and save
1 or 0 gens left. That's the only time camping is acceptable, IMO. And I think any anti-camping measure should scale with gens left, and be disabled after 5th gen.
You can camp whenever you want. Anyone who says differently is attempting to control how you play.
yes, longer games and stronger killers in exchange for removal of camping and tunnelling. I would be up for it
Technically speaking, camping is fine whenever.
Regarding the unspoken etiquette, I’d say 0-2 gens left is when it becomes acceptable, albeit still not appreciated.
You get genrushed because you're camping. Ever thought about that?
From their account, it seems like last time they were active was november 2019. Not sure they will see your message.
When is it ok?
Whenever the situation calls for it.
Being behind on gens, proxy camp a hook and catch the fish that come in.
Many games ive gone from a 1k to a 3/4k from survs being greedy instead of leaving. You can't save everyone.
"but that's not fun for the person on the hook" You're right it isn't but sometimes games can't always be fun, and everyone has their own defintion of what fun is.
When all Gens are done, or when all the Gens you can guard are on the other side of the map and the other 3 Survivors wanna play 'Where's Waldo?'.
Damn just noticed it was a necro thread.
Answer the question in the title. 2-2 1/2 gens and no deaths.
Good lord, this thread was from 2019 and got revived this month out of the blue. What the heck kind of second chance perks is it using?! 😯
Whenever you want because your goal as a Killer is to kill. Not to pat Survivors on the head and give them a juice box while you escort them out the exit gates while telling them how well they crouch-spam.