The event on console

Does anyone else feel that the performance on older consoles (in my case ps4) has gotten much worse (was already bad to begin with) since the event started? When playing survivor it's mostly fine, but when playing killer the game feels blurry and it's a lot more difficult to keep track of spinning survivors. After playing more than one game I actually have a headache and feel a bit nauseous. Think I'll have to focus on completing the challenges and then play something else until the event is over...

Comments

  • Feel free to post in the thread below.

    Also, if you could include video that'd be helpful. I'm sure all the extra effects, coupled with them being quite animated, can cause lag and a lot of motion sickness.

    @Pulsar said:

    Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

    I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

    Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

    Thank you.


  • Dead by Daylight has ran like dog ######### on PS4 ever since the Resident Evil update in the summer of 2021. From 2019 until the RE Chapter, DBD ran like a PC game on my PS4 Pro.

  • I thought it was just me. Playing killer feels absolutely dreadful, it is somewhat manageable when playing survivor

  • Yeah, my poor Switch is really struggling. A shame really, because the game was running fairly well after the previous update. Only the Nostromo had serious frame rate issues. The rest of the maps were more or less fine performance wise.

    That said, I think the only time I've seen DBD run near flawlessly was when the game textures failed to load in on RPD. It may have looked like a PS1 game but the frame rate was buttery smooth.

    Survivor is still kinda playable but Killer is so bad I've had to become a Trapper main on Switch for the duration of the event. Because the only way I'm catching anyone right now is if they step in a trap!

  • On PS5 I do feel the FPS drops some times. Its around some objects could be causing memory leaks. when things happen at one Like a gen pops the portal opens and I swing at some one at the same time.

  • Original PS4/PS4 Slim: 25-30fps


    PS4 Pro (Boost Mode): Solid 30fps


    PS5: Solid 60fps

  • I am also on PS4 and PC.

    PS4 is still ok for me but you feel the slower FPS.

    The event brings more extra effects and some of the newer maps are a bit more demanding i guess.

    There are spots or effects that tanks the fps more now for sure.

  • I thought something felt off when I was playing last night. Thought it might just be a me thing.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    On PC. No issues.

    Borrow a friend's PS4 or whatever and let us know what you find?

  • Just tried playing killer on Switch and it was absolutely godawful. I avoid killer on Switch as much as possible, but the Tome challenges force it. I am so effing miserable every time I play killer on Switch, and now it's worse. The framerate was abysmal, I kept walking into objects in the environment and getting stuck, regular doorways were completely ######### me in chases. I shouldn't lose chases because I need to walk through a doorway.

    The cursor has been worse as well. It was already crap given that there are no settings for dead zone and response curve, but the input is even worse, now. The frustration as I take 30+ seconds to select a small button in the menu has me wanting to quit the game altogether. That's not including actual in-match gameplay, that's just trying to deal with the cursor jerking around when I need to select something. It doesn't matter how gentle I try to be with the analog stick, the cursor jumps.

    BHVR really has no idea how ######### ######### this game performs on some systems, do they.

  • Switch is currently running at a silky smooth 12 FPS.

    It's absolutely abysmal. You know how hard it is to hit skillchecks when the arrow is only visible for 5 frames at most? Pretty dang hard.

  • @Caiman said:

    Switch is currently running at a silky smooth 12 FPS.

    It's absolutely abysmal. You know how hard it is to hit skillchecks when the arrow is only visible for 5 frames at most? Pretty dang hard.

    I remember getting frames in the teens in the center room of Lery's on my ol' venerable Xbox1.

    Good times! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

  • I noticed last night that it wasn't just in the trial i'm getting FPS drops on my ps4 pro. I'm getting a noticeable FPS drop just sitting on the event tome screen. Yikes ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

  • @Caiman said:

    Switch is currently running at a silky smooth 12 FPS.

    It's absolutely abysmal. You know how hard it is to hit skillchecks when the arrow is only visible for 5 frames at most? Pretty dang hard.

    Thoughts and prayers go out to our Switch relatives

  • Not only on console, but even on my quite strong PC the fps are tanking once the Void opened for the 1st time and it gets worse the more floaty orbs I collect.

    @Caiman said:

    Switch is currently running at a silky smooth 12 FPS.

    It's absolutely abysmal. You know how hard it is to hit skillchecks when the arrow is only visible for 5 frames at most? Pretty dang hard.

    I have a friend playing on Switch. It's a nightmare for her. And another friend of mine had a pretty old laptop until recently. She played the whole game on 11fps and had to use Technician so the killer would not go to her gen all the time. Even with 2k hrs she could not look back during chase. And even she has a better laptop now, Doc is still her least favourite killer.

  • Just had a match on Midwich and the performance is so bad, it is actually borderline unplayable. The game is barely functioning.

    Update: Had a match on the Nostromo Wreckage, just as bad as Midwich.