Is DS feared anymore?

Before the DS nerf (6.1.0) I can confidently say that it was a lot scarier and more risky to tunnel because of the existence of DS and that 5s stun. I’m not going to act like it was perfectly designed because there were flaws, such as it working endgame. However, it definitely made me think twice before picking up someone or even chasing them in the first place. Now, it’s not even a thought. Off the record while very nice, will often be used in the same amount of time as basekit bt would have. And now when you do tunnel someone, you’re not scared of DS and even if they do have it, it’s so pathetic that you don’t care.

Proposed Changes:

Change 1- Increase stun duration

This is the most simple solution, whether they change it back to 5s or to 4s to compensate doesn’t matter as the extra seconds make a huge impact and will make DS a big threat again.

Change 2- Increase usage

As most of you know, when hitting (or failing) the skill check DS is gone for the rest of the game. This made sense when the stun was 5s but now that it is 3s having 2 DS stuns in 1 game could be a new way of making it a threat as while the stun is still short, it will add up.

Change 3- Increase activation duration

DS lasts for 60s after the unhook, which is a little short as when you are being tunnelled it could run out mid chase and then it does nothing. It could be increased to 70s or 80s whatever seems reasonable. In addition to this specific change I believe the difficult skill check should be removed as the effect will still be weak and the perk shouldn’t do nothing if you’re a newer player or you have bad FPS.

If anyone has read this far I would like to thank you for taking the time to read all of this. Whether you agree or disagree is fine, however it’s important to keep this discussion civil as we won’t get anywhere with bad faith arguing.

Comments

  • All it should do it keeps the 3s stun and make it so you cant use the killers power for 3 seconds so all killer are hurt equally, someone like nurse maybe even slighty harder. Now ds is better and can be used with otr for really strong potential anti tunnel.

    Maybe i could see it have a 4 second stun max but 5 seconds was too long.

  • @Legion_S_Tier said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3485915#Comment_3485915

    I disagree with the fact it should work endgame. The purpose of the perk is to counter tunnelling, however in the endgame, everything is acceptable and you can’t really blame a killer for tunnelling if they’re securing a kill as it’s not like you’ve missed out on a match.

    Agree to disagree. IMO at this point in its life, the endgame disabling is overkill. Without getting into the semantics and scenarios of tunneling, I'll say DS is just plain B-A-D for its counter-tunneling purpose. It's not countering even an adept killer who actually wants you out of the game, though it does have a few uses outside that it is better at. So, getting to the endgame would be an accomplishment in and of itself. I think anti-momentum is a more appropriate label for what it does.

    Should killers have a chance to work and secure their kills in endgame? Absolutely. Should they be given an additional advantage of survs losing a perk during the endgame (a point in the game that already gives an advantage towards killers by design)? Absolutely not. As I said, overkill and not a sustainable solution to the original problem.

  • Would be nice if there was a countermeasure for people trying to use it offensively/altruistically if it was buffed. That was the most obnoxious thing about it pre nerf.

  • No, it's a joke. It's joined the other 7385885969493 useless perks that rot in my inventory.

    I got to use it a few times and it does absolutely nothing but dissapoint me, make me log off and play something else.

  • @LeFennecFox said:

    DS needs to be something different than just a 3-5s stun so it actually does something against nurse/blight, but doesn't destroy m1 killers.

    1. Make it a 4s stun.

    2. Make Nurse and Blight have their power charges reset when stunned by any means.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3485744#Comment_3485744

    DS had an obnoxiously high pick rate and killers reasonably had to fear it because it was so strong that it was often used aggressively by forcing grabs or pairing it with Unbreakable to waste a crazy amount of the killer's time if they chose to avoid it by slugging. This aggressive use eclipsed its anti-tunnel usage so I don't think reverting it to the 5-second stun is a good idea at all.

    Taking two perk slots and a hook state to be able to take one hit for someone, once, and then spend the next 24 seconds incapacitated, on top of the time you spent after getting off the hook doing nothing of value for the team is not 'eclipsing its anti-tunnel usage'.

    This was always a throw-strat that only got complained about by incredibly myopic killers.

    You spending 24 seconds on the ground following a chase that took the killer away from your teammates sounds pretty good to me. It was also used during resets to prevent the killer from being able to get a ton of value out of interrupting it which really hurt stealth killers. It was a widely acknowledged meta start so I don't get why you're calling a throw-strat. Unbreakable and DS are fantastic on their own so it wasn't even wasting a single perk slot so there really isn't a downside aside from not having DS if the killer eats it (you might get tunneled out later, but your team had a ton of extra time to do gens)

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3485262#Comment_3485262

    1. Make it a 4s stun.

    2. Make Nurse and Blight have their power charges reset when stunned by any means.

    I don’t like the idea of perks functioning drastically different vs different killers. Either it power locks all killers or none of them. Either you make DS viable against all killers or none of them.

  • Never heard of it

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3486974#Comment_3486974

    I don’t like the idea of perks functioning drastically different vs different killers. Either it power locks all killers or none of them. Either you make DS viable against all killers or none of them.

    That's exactly what I suggested.

    Read it again, it's one simple change to DS, and then individual nerfs to two specific killers.

    This is what makes DS viable against all killers. Non-mobility killers get a 4s stun, while the highest mobility killers are inherently hindered by stuns in general, so that stunning these killers isn't pointless. This works for flashlight saves, Smash Hit, pallets, Head On, etc.

    It could be applied in a lesser capacity to killers like Spirit or Billy IF that's necessary, in the realm of individual killer balance.

    Nurse has already had her basic attacks changed to special attacks for this very reason. This is just an extension of that applied to another problematic aspect of her design, the fact that stuns such as DS do nothing to slow her down.

  • @Aoltre said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3485758#Comment_3485758

    You spending 24 seconds on the ground following a chase that took the killer away from your teammates sounds pretty good to me. It was also used during resets to prevent the killer from being able to get a ton of value out of interrupting it which really hurt stealth killers. It was a widely acknowledged meta start so I don't get why you're calling a throw-strat. Unbreakable and DS are fantastic on their own so it wasn't even wasting a single perk slot so there really isn't a downside aside from not having DS if the killer eats it (you might get tunneled out later, but your team had a ton of extra time to do gens)

    You do realise that, at this point, you're talking about a killer -chasing- a survivor that was unhooked in the last 60 seconds, without contributing to their team.

    In other words, tunnelling.

    Someone using DS to counter tunnelling is not 'using it aggressively'.

  • I really don't think DS is that bad unless you're facing Blight, Nurse or Spirit. If you're facing those there's not much that can help you anyway. If, as others have suggested, DS reset Killer's power during the stun, it would then be much better against those 3 but not in a way that further victimised weaker killers against whom it's a perfectly fine perk.

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    I'd keep it 3 seconds stun but add 150% movement speed for 3 seconds.

    make DS an exhaustion perk? You already get Endurance and run speed from getting unhooked.

  • @Emeal said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3484950#Comment_3484950

    make DS an exhaustion perk? You already get Endurance and run speed from getting unhooked.

    Nah, DS should be anti-tunnel perk. Not exhaustion. If we change it with this way, it would turn the worst perk ever.

  • Just a quick response thrown in my me:

    when I started DBD, I quickly learned to respect DS. Tunneling someone out wasn't easy and often resulted in just 1K, or some big altruistic games and 0K. One survivor that looped and t-bagged me a lot jumped into a locker and I kept watch over that locker for 40s, because I wanted them dead so much ... and in the post game screen I could see that that one didn't even have DS equipped! But that perk was so prevalent and so strong back then, that I played by its rules without it being there.

    Later I would actually have a digital clock running on my second screen that I could glance at, when I really needed to off someone, and I used that to gauge DS timers. I even had games where I downed two survivors with the exit doors not yet opened, and I had to wait 1min before picking them up, because I couldn't be sure that DS would ruin my win.

    Nowadays, if I want to tunnel someone, I just do. And if I get hit by DS, its goes like "lol, what just happened? Oh yeah, DS. Lol" and 9/10 times I just down them 10-15s later. I am not opposed to rewind the DS timer and just deactivate the perk during EGC. I felt that bitter sting of utter impotence a couple of times back in the days, though, and it was just an overtuned mechanic, not some clever or skillful play by the other player: a player got downed in range of the open exit gates, all other survivors were dead or had left and that player slowly crawled towards the exit gates. I was pretty sure that they had DS, so I let them crawl all the way, picked them up at like the last couple of frames before they were out, got hit by DS, t-bagged and "ggez"ed.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I do not believe perks should be "feared".

    Respected? Perhaps. You need to respect PGTW, PR or things like flashlights.

    But perks shouldn't be feared, imo.

    A anti tunnel perk should be feared Decisive strikes good quality was because the stun was long enough to make the killer think twice about tunnelling you and if they did they eat a 5s stun and it’s a punishment which with how powerful tunnelling someone out can be the survivors need a powerful counter

  • Add the five second stun make it available both hook stages and that’s the perfect anti tunnel perk disabled in endgame even though imo that’s bs but what can you do

1 2 ›