Survivors: Do you enjoy the "Hit & Run" playstyle?

I personally find it to be extremely unfun to play vs, especially in an uncoordinated team. And I've hated it even during the gen-kick meta. But I've seen several praises for it so I thought I'd have a directed conversation about it.

Before the dead-hard nerf, anti-healing builds centered around this playstyle were tolerable because if I had good timing I could force a 2-healthstate chase anyways. I know how to play injured and can usually hold my own even without DH.

After the nerf though, on certain maps, it feels so tiresome having a 0.1s window to react to a silent bell wraith 1-tapping you from around the corner. And its gotten to the point where I usually just go next after they hook me.

The only counter and probably the reason why the strat isn't viable in a competitive setting is just to have all 4 survivors spread out and communicate when they see the killer. This obviously rarely ever happens in solo-queue. And its super frustrating to just watch a team bleed-out from everyone being too scared to touch gens.

I do think the strategy should be nerfed, but only after killers are given an alternative meta. Which at present there isn't one, so I'm very understanding.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421286#Comment_3421286

    For ~12 of the killers in this game, looping simulator is not a viable approach.

    For the rest, most of them have been complained about heavily because they "cheat" the looping process through either antiloop or in chase mobility.

    The only killers and playstyles I've seen not gather ire from survivors are ones that aren't effective.

    That's cuz dbds balanced in a way that just so happens to make the douchiest strats the most effective. I don't complain about the ppl who use them but I wanna see the devs make the more interesting and engaging strats meta

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421295#Comment_3421295

    That's cuz dbds balanced in a way that just so happens to make the douchiest strats the most effective. I don't complain about the ppl who use them but I wanna see the devs make the more interesting and engaging strats meta

    Or... and hear me out here... DBD is set up the way it is so that killers don't have to play in only one way. Because that'd be hella boring.

    Behavior probably should make taking chases more appealing by buffing the perks that support that, but doing it by butchering hnr is not the way.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421299#Comment_3421299

    Or... and hear me out here... DBD is set up the way it is so that killers don't have to play in only one way. Because that'd be hella boring.

    Behavior probably should make taking chases more appealing by buffing the perks that support that, but doing it by butchering hnr is not the way.

    Would u consider solos having an easier time finding each other to get healed butchering hnr? jw

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421270#Comment_3421270

    "Outside of the strategy survivors don't hate survivors seem to hate every strategy"

    sounds about right

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421308#Comment_3421308

    Would u consider solos having an easier time finding each other to get healed butchering hnr? jw

    There's already a ton of tools to do that though.

    Bond, Empathy, Aftercare, Empathetic Connection, Kindred, Blood Pact, Situational Awareness, keys with certain addons, and map with the beacon addon all exist. Why do you feel like you need more?

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421310#Comment_3421310

    There's already a ton of tools to do that though.

    Bond, Empathy, Aftercare, Empathetic Connection, Kindred, Blood Pact, Situational Awareness, keys with certain addons, and map with the beacon addon all exist. Why do you feel like you need more?

    Because it should be basekit, it's already so easy in swf

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421315#Comment_3421315

    Because it should be basekit, it's already so easy in swf

    And what would you be willing to give killers in return? And how would you make it not make SWF even stronger too?

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421317#Comment_3421317

    And what would you be willing to give killers in return? And how would you make it not make SWF even stronger too?

    Dunno exactly, something tho for sure

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421310#Comment_3421310

    There's already a ton of tools to do that though.

    Bond, Empathy, Aftercare, Empathetic Connection, Kindred, Blood Pact, Situational Awareness, keys with certain addons, and map with the beacon addon all exist. Why do you feel like you need more?

    There's no way you're seriously suggesting EC, BP, SA, keys and maps.


    A big issue with the game currently is that both Killer and Survivor have perks that they def need to have some sort of consistency to their games. This restricts builds so much.

  • The last time I saw this type of response on the forum we ended with basekit BT and several months of killers just having to take a substantial L in maintaining general pressure strats because turns out people with BT don't care about escaping a potential tunnel situation they care about actively drawing fire only to complain about how much they have to mend after being hit.

    Like you've got all the tools necessary to flourish in soloq aside from voice comms at this point. It's not hard to slap on a single perk like Bond or CoH which would provide the info you need to coordinate heals. Getting some kind of basekit "I need healing" ping ain't gonna help you if the tools you already have access to ain't helping. You want things to help soloq, but there ain't much to be done for soloq at this point. Soloq has to adjust to just playing as a team instead of being a 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 v 1.

  • @Sharby said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421315#Comment_3421315

    There's no way you're seriously suggesting EC, BP, SA, keys and maps.

    A big issue with the game currently is that both Killer and Survivor have perks that they def need to have some sort of consistency to their games. This restricts builds so much.

    I was giving all the options I could think of. Not claiming all of them were good. Also SA is actually quite good. You as the user just can't really see its effects.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421321#Comment_3421321

    I was giving all the options I could think of. Not claiming all of them were good. Also SA is actually quite good. You as the user just can't really see its effects.

    Information perks are rather paradoxical (minus things like WoO.) They aren't consistent due to being unable to gauge their value without comms, but if you have comms they lose virtually all of their value. Just not worth running imo.

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421144#Comment_3421144

    Sounds decent tbf but really boring and I would think unreliable. Sometimes the killer is within 36m of you but not necessarily about to go after you, perhaps someone else. Or they could have an info perk or see you from a distance before you have time to hide. Idk I see what you're getting at but in general I don't think hiding is so extremely reliable, and could be risky if it ends up wasting much more of your time than the killer's

    All good points and I would mostly say yeah, it's not 100 percent, but I personally feel there really shouldn't be a given 100% counter to any strat on either side. That would actually make it very boring for me.

    The reason I don't find it boring is the element of risk. Trying to time when to let go of the gen so you don't bail when you don't need to but also don't stay on too long and get caught while also trying to time it right after a skill check so you don't get the dreaded check as soon as you let go causing an explosion. Hiding a foot ot two away from the killer or creeping around a barrel or the gen itself when it takes just the smallest mistake and you'll get spotted. Learning how to best work around their FoV. I find that stuff fun as hell.

    Distortion helps with the info perks and with as much time as you spend in the killers TR, you almost always have a token to use. Picking the right gens to work on and which side you work on them so you are covered from the most likely avenues of approach. Having a couple of escape routes planned with stages of hiding spots. All of that goes into making it work..and yeah it doesn't always. Sometimes you zig when you should have zagged, sometimes the killer does something totally out of left field. Sometimes your head is angled in just the wrong way that the killer catches a glimpse of it. Uncertainty is what keeps it interesting.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421319#Comment_3421319

    The last time I saw this type of response on the forum we ended with basekit BT and several months of killers just having to take a substantial L in maintaining general pressure strats because turns out people with BT don't care about escaping a potential tunnel situation they care about actively drawing fire only to complain about how much they have to mend after being hit.

    Like you've got all the tools necessary to flourish in soloq aside from voice comms at this point. It's not hard to slap on a single perk like Bond or CoH which would provide the info you need to coordinate heals. Getting some kind of basekit "I need healing" ping ain't gonna help you if the tools you already have access to ain't helping. You want things to help soloq, but there ain't much to be done for soloq at this point. Soloq has to adjust to just playing as a team instead of being a 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 v 1.

    Never said those tools don't help, they do. Point is solos shouldn't have to use a perk slot for something that swfs have easily at basekit. Unless you're referring to the tools at basekit, which do very little in helping you actually locate your teammates, so I sure hope you didn't mean that. There's undeniably more room for solo buffs that could and should be implemented

  • @Sandt21 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421116#Comment_3421116

    At this point, I have to ask, what killer playstyle isn't " annoying"? Because outside of loop simulator, survivors seem to hate every killer strategy

    I mean yeah, it works both ways though. A lot of Survivor strats are "boring" or "annoying" as well. Holding W and pre-dropping, stealthing, gens before friends. It comes down to people complaining over anything that makes the game more difficult for them. There is stuff that is actually oppressive that should be dealt with: hard camping/tunneling/3-genning from the start of the game, actual genrushing, but there is a lot that's complained about that is perfectly fine. A lot of folks on both sides need to get over their main character syndrome.

  • No I don't find it enjoyable and was worried there would be a Wraith hit and run meta after seeing CoH and general healing nerfs in the PTB. Thankfully, they reverted the main healing nerf concerns.

    If they had kept the changes of a default recovery being 48s, it could have been even further amplified with Knockout. Sloppy would have been insane too, possibly completely negating 30s worth of time spent healing yourself.

    Hit and run wraith with no comms is already very powerful, with little engagement. It's definitely one of my least favourite playstyles to face. After the Wraith farms some pallets, the rest of the game is just you sitting on a gen hoping he doesn't come and if he does, you're getting hit/downed very quickly.

  • @1ettuce said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421323#Comment_3421323

    Never said those tools don't help, they do. Point is solos shouldn't have to use a perk slot for something that swfs have easily at basekit. Unless you're referring to the tools at basekit, which do very little in helping you actually locate your teammates, so I sure hope you didn't mean that. There's undeniably more room for solo buffs that could and should be implemented

    What swfs have aren't even within the realms of the game!

    You can't make up for that by frontloading features and basekit buffs on to survivors in a fruitless attempt to even out the advantage that swfs have. It makes no sense that you're even concerned about the strength of swfs as a survivor and how to bring solo q in line with swfs which rely on outside factors that can never be equalized. Y'all not playing against the swfs so from the survivor side nothing they have affects you. Killers have to deal with swfs and are the ones who it would make more sense to bring more in line with the fact that swf play is more and more becoming the normalized way that survivors play.

    What can the devs give you basekit or feature that equals the inherent advantage of sitting in a discord call with 3 other people doing callouts? The game already from jump wasn't built stand up to that sort thing like when dbd released the game was sold expected to be played soloq only until enough said they wanted to play with their friends without having to hope y'all load into the same lobby. Solo play will never be anyway near as strong as group play and everything added to push solo play closer to group play will only make swf play that much more advantageous. They ain't gonna start making weird diminishing return features that are super strong solo, but trash in full 4 stack. That's how you kill a game dead as a doornail. It is perfectly reasonable and better for the game long term if folks are made to actually use perks as that is what they are there for, to make up for the inherent imbalance between Killer and survivors.

    You have a very generous HUD, tons of perks that help you with every aspect of the game, killer design and balance has been greatly paired back in comparison to how they made killers 4-5 years ago. Most killers are designed with so much thought put into basekit counterplay for survivors that they often ship with powers that are clunky and unfun to use with a slate of addons that only exist to mitigate how bad it feels to play that killer. Super fun, decently good, well rounded designs have become the exception rather than the rule. All of these things in an attempt to get soloq to be on a more equal footing with swf and not such a general pain. Yet, the biggest contributor of pain in soloq is other survivors and there no amount of buffs that will fix teams that don't work together.

  • I mean, it's a nice change of pace from the gen kick meta

  • @Nazzzak said:

    I mean, it's a nice change of pace from the gen kick meta

    Only marginally, being stuck at 1 gen cause everyone is 2hooks and perma injured feels just as stifling.

  • Crazily enough I still enjoy chase since the question was about enjoyment lol

  • I don't mind it per se but almost every killer that hard commits to it prioritizes slugging half the game although suppose that's just my luck with matchmaking. I've had some fun games with some killers doing it but most of the time the hit and run games last the longest which take a lot of the fun out of DBD. I think the best example is Sadako building up Condemned and absolutely not committing to anything but that's more an issue with the killer.

  • @Wowie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3417838#Comment_3417838

    depends on the situation. if you're all grouped up then yes, hitting multiple survivors is optimal but committing to one person unless you can't is the next step.

    there's really nothing wrong with it as a playstyle though and I can't believe there's a complaint thread about it

    I disagree. It's an effortless play style that only works well against solos

  • @Wowie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422384#Comment_3422384

    no, it doesn't just work on solos. it's to pressure swfs to heal each other, thus discouraging generators.

    i think you lack a fundamental grasp on the core mechanics of dead by daylight.

    In regards to getting downs it only works on solos and swfs maybe sometimes

  • @Wowie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422389#Comment_3422389

    ok but that's not what I'm talking about, is it?

    a successful killer game uses tons of different strategies depending on what you're up against and hit & runs is one of them. if a killer hard commits to a hit & run strat, they're going to lose unless your team is severely low rank.

    it's a non-issue.

    that's what im talking about and thats just untrue against solos

  • @Wowie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422389#Comment_3422389

    ok but that's not what I'm talking about, is it?

    a successful killer game uses tons of different strategies depending on what you're up against and hit & runs is one of them. if a killer hard commits to a hit & run strat, they're going to lose unless your team is severely low rank.

    it's a non-issue.

    No one said its unbeatable though?


    The entire point of this thread was to see what other survivor players think about the playstyle, not that it should be deleted, and it seems like the consensus from Surv players here is that they would rather be chased (which makes sense as it benefits survs to get chased.)

    I personally dislike hit and run because healing feels so clunky in this game especially after medkit/coh nerfs. And it can be pretty oppressive in solo queue.

    That doesn't mean it has no counters.

  • @Wowie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422394#Comment_3422394

    you're silly dude

    (i'd call you a goober but the mods don't like that. sorry!)

    k, keep lying ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3421317#Comment_3421317

    And what would you be willing to give killers in return? And how would you make it not make SWF even stronger too?

    Bamboozle basekit please ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

  • I don't mind hit and run as long as it isn't hit and go back to check my 3 gen

  • @egg_ said:

    I don't mind hit and run as long as it isn't hit and go back to check my 3 gen

    So... like where should I run? To comp corner? Should I hit a survivor, run to the furthest point on the map, wait for you to heal and then come back? I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I, as a killer, can actually make survivors the most happy, because really that is what all this is about.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/374328/survivors-do-you-enjoy-the-hit-run-playstyle

    I'm gonna repost something i posted before

    1. Camping is the most boring thing

    2. Ruin+Undying is the most boring thing

    3. Slugging is the most boring

    4. Anti-loop killers are the most boring

    5. Tunneling is the most boring thing

    6. 3-gens are the most boring

    7. Hit and run is the most boring <----------------- you are here.

    8. Killers Pressuring gens is boring

    9. Anti-Healing is boring

    10. Killers even playing the game is boring

    Meanwhile:

    JUST PRESSURE GENS KILLERS.

    Exactly what kind of "play style" should killers do, that is a viable way to win, that isn't boring to you? Because at this point, it seems the only acceptable way to play as killer is to:

    • Play a standard m1 killer
    • Pick a single survivor, and chase only them, making sure to never use your power.
    • Don't use any perks
    • Once you down and hook that survivor, you need to immediately start running to the survivor that is the absolute furthest away from the hooked survivor.
    • Then you repeat.
    • But make sure after you hook the second survivor, that the 3rd survivor you chase, is not the one that saved the unhooked person (they might still be healing) but the 4th guy who has only been on gens.
    • Repeat, making sure you do them in order, so nobody is eliminated from the game. Then if you actually make it to endgame, you can't camp the hook during endgame, you have to open the exit gates
    • Then you have to let the other survivors save and body block, so all 4 escape, and then you have to let them teabbag you at the gate, you can't just run to the other end of the map and stare at a wall. You have to make sure you specifically WATCH them teabag.
    • Also don't hit them to force them out, you need to let them teabag you for the full 2 minute timer.
    • Also make sure you say: "man i suck really bad" and agree with them when they say "gg baby killer ez"

    At some point, i think you need to examine yourself, and decide what it is you really want out of this game. Because there i so much conflicting information about what survivors want from:

    • You need to chase more people
    • You need to chase less
    • Let us do gens
    • Stop camping hooks
    • Stop camping gens
    • Stop proxy camping
    • Don't defend hex totems (yes i heard this once)
    • Pressure gens better
    • Don't tunnel
    • Camping in endgame is boring
    • GG EZ killer couldn't get kills

    Like for real, what the actual ######### do you want?

    100000% this. It's the "Survivors book of rules for killers"

  • @Bravescorpio said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422476#Comment_3422476

    So... like where should I run? To comp corner? Should I hit a survivor, run to the furthest point on the map, wait for you to heal and then come back? I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I, as a killer, can actually make survivors the most happy, because really that is what all this is about.

    You should run to find someone else???????????????? Very difficult concept

1 2 3 โ€บ