lets discuss skull merchant/knight 3 gens are not hard to counter just adapt

remember they dont have the lethality of a nurse...they are m1 killers at heart

after playing most of the weekend against a variation of skull merchants and knights the way to beat the 3 gen situation is quite similar

1) use a good toolbox with bnp and prove thyself/tenacity/sprint burst/deja vu (hyperfocus if you are good or resilience if you want to work injured or circle of healing boon setup away from the 3 gens) and a large map offering if desired

2) dont do the first gen immediately look for a 3 gen and observe the killer see if they are doing a 3 gen set up a circle of healing boon meanwhile or store energy from another gen if possible (you wont lose it if they dont leave the 3 gen you wont get hit)

3)if the killer sets up a 3 gen then split up into pairs and attack the two furthest gens in the 3 gen. one person does the drone/leads the guard away the other person does the gen as efficiently as possible. when the killer comes to your gen,sprint burst away if you have to take a hit take it. using coms or even the survivor hud the other team can see when one survivor is in a chase.

4) break the 3 gen and marvel as either killer isnt as oppressive as you perceived it...yes i have done this mostly as a solo and even easier as a swf all weekend. not saying the matches will be quick but once the 3 gen is dealt with it really isnt so bad

what i find interesting about both of these killers is that they force survivors to change their gameplans and it seems hard for some people to adapt. before you say i have to change my perk/addon build out to accomodate 2 killers every killer has a different counter play (medkits useless vs a plague for example or its a legion split up and dont do gens together) that is the beauty of dbd (look at killers adapting to sniffing butts before swinging)

edit: i implore you to stop dcing and let bhvr gather the data from matches. dced matches dont count that is why we have such ridiculous stats like the nurse having a low kill rate...you want the game to be better than finish your game (or run up to the killer and go for that 5 gen loop you are capable of doing)

your thoughts?

Comments

  • @versacefeng said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3370314#Comment_3370314

    Do you expect anyone to believe you and take you seriously when you proclaim yourself as a ‘solo q veteran’.

    Everything they say is valid and accurate. Trying to dismiss their entire point based on one statement that's not even relevant to the point is childish.

    You don't even need the tactics in the OP to beat a 3gen.

  • one day they will understand that once a match goes over 30 minutes idc who wins or loses i just want out of the match. IDC how powerful 3 gening as long as you can actively waste 40 minutes of my time by doing it i will hate it.

  • @stonedcandle said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3370761#Comment_3370761

    Everything they say is valid and accurate. Trying to dismiss their entire point based on one statement that's not even relevant to the point is childish.

    You don't even need the tactics in the OP to beat a 3gen.

    What tactics do you suggest then that’ll help solo queue players beat a 3gen against the merchant or the knight?

  • @C3Tooth said:

    Im not going to use my 2 hours of gaming for 3 matches of DBD.

    so you dc or just not play survivor?

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3370030#Comment_3370030

    I wonder what could be done to make low mobility killers more effective vs shift-w. Maybe they could use a perk that gives them haste effect when they walk near generators. I am not entirely sure. Many killer feel like a lost cause.

    Their kits need to be able to do something real in-chase so there's actually a point to leaving the last generators. Atm if you just leave the last 3 gens to go on an M1 chase, it's likely you lose. 1st and 2nd generation Eruption allowed the killer to leave the 3-gen and still have a chance, idk why they didn't just replace the incapacitation effect with a 16-second entity block on the gen.

  • I never DC, but if the match is 100% result of 1 hatch escape or 4K. I will suicide on hook.

    I play killer and lucky enough I dont always play against Knight,SM

    But my point still stand, I dont use 2h of gaming for 3 matches of DBD.

  • That sounds like a fabulous and fun solution (being sarcastic heh) Just DC, get a long lock out possibly, or just don't play your preferred role. :c

    I don't like ditching teammates because of this. Nor would I want a penalty. Now, I've so much free time I can play all day, but still, I don't like these long matches either. They're boring.

    I don't have a solution to them, in the end I do end up winning most of them in soloq, but they're still a snooze fest.

    People want something more engaging, cmon now.

  • @PrincessCalla said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3371291#Comment_3371291

    That sounds like a fabulous and fun solution (being sarcastic heh) Just DC, get a long lock out possibly, or just don't play your preferred role. :c

    I don't like ditching teammates because of this. Nor would I want a penalty. Now, I've so much free time I can play all day, but still, I don't like these long matches either. They're boring.

    I don't have a solution to them, in the end I do end up winning most of them in soloq, but they're still a snooze fest.

    People want something more engaging, cmon now.

    but she is engaging i would argue she is the most versatile killer build wise in the game

  • Couple of extremely high level teams have tried to break SM 3-gens. I think Otz spoke about it briefly.

    None have managed it in less than twenty minutes. Most can't break them at all. Hens did an experiment to see if he could just hold a 3-gen until the server closed. Very possible.


    That shouldn't be a thing. Hour-long games need togo, full stop, end of discussion.

  • @Blueberry said:

    Yeah I’m not sure where these mythical unbreakable 3 gen games or 3 gen games that last an hour are as I never see them. I play way more than the average person and solo queue at that and these games are nearly non existent. I can’t even remember the last game I lost because of a 3 gen.

    I think people lost a lot of matches that have a 3 gen because they or their team are playing bad and instead of taking accountability for skill issues or bad choices it’s easier to just blame a 3 gen or gen kick perks as why they lost.

    This mythical 3 gen issue is honestly a boogieman that doesn’t realistically exist. It can happen here and there, not saying ever, but rare enough that it really isn’t a problem.

    If it's mythical, then I must have a knack for finding unicorns and fully expect a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end any day now. I've played about 10 matches as surv today and 4 were Killers who 3-genned from the start. 2 SMs, 1 Hag, and 1 Knight. It was astoundingly obvious because I was running Deja Vu and every time I went to the 3 -gen, lo and behold, I found the Killer too.

    Please don't say this is 'mythical'. It definitely isn't.

    I don't think the general strategy needs to be nuked from orbit. Heck, I play Trapper. But individual Killer ability to hold a 3-gen definitely needs to be looked at. The ease with which some builds can completely stall out a match needs be looked at.

  • @bobateo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3369758#Comment_3369758

    If it's mythical, then I must have a knack for finding unicorns and fully expect a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end any day now. I've played about 10 matches as surv today and 4 were Killers who 3-genned from the start. 2 SMs, 1 Hag, and 1 Knight. It was astoundingly obvious because I was running Deja Vu and every time I went to the 3 -gen, lo and behold, I found the Killer too.

    Please don't say this is 'mythical'. It definitely isn't.

    I don't think the general strategy needs to be nuked from orbit. Heck, I play Trapper. But individual Killer ability to hold a 3-gen definitely needs to be looked at. The ease with which some builds can completely stall out a match needs be looked at.

    I never said 3 genning wasn't a thing, as you're implying. What I did say was that it didn't drag games to ridiculous times like people say and that it isn't even remotely unwinnable. That's what I actually said.

    With Eruption basically gone now a 3 gen is very manageable for good survivors in solo queue.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3372731#Comment_3372731

    I never said 3 genning wasn't a thing, as you're implying. What I did say was that it didn't drag games to ridiculous times like people say and that it isn't even remotely unwinnable. That's what I actually said.

    With Eruption basically gone now a 3 gen is very manageable for good survivors in solo queue.

    Alright, I'll be more specific. My fault for not doing so. All of those matches lasted over 20 minutes. With the longest being one against SM pushed 35 and the only reason it didn't go any longer was because 2 of the survs gave up. This is not my first experience with these long matches where the Killer solely focuses on 3-genning. I was running things that people imply will thwart this strategy. They do not. I play almost exclusively solo Q surv. It is not manageable.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Couple of extremely high level teams have tried to break SM 3-gens. I think Otz spoke about it briefly.

    None have managed it in less than twenty minutes. Most can't break them at all. Hens did an experiment to see if he could just hold a 3-gen until the server closed. Very possible.

    That shouldn't be a thing. Hour-long games need togo, full stop, end of discussion.

    so what were those teams using to break the 3 gen in less than 20 minutes and can it be adapted by survivors to win the game?

    i agree as well that no game should last an hour (actually it should not last longer than 30 minutes)

    When two survivors hide in a losing situation playing hide and seek (for almost an hour)and not doing any objectives also needs to be looked at.

  • @Skill_issue said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3372681#Comment_3372681

    so what were those teams using to break the 3 gen in less than 20 minutes and can it be adapted by survivors to win the game?

    i agree as well that no game should last an hour (actually it should not last longer than 30 minutes)

    When two survivors hide in a losing situation playing hide and seek (for almost an hour)and not doing any objectives also needs to be looked at.

    They could not break the 3-gen in under 20 minutes.

    Few broke the 3-gen in the first place but only like one team broke it anywhere even close to 20 minutes.


    You can't really adapt it, no. You need to basically play in a 4-man or get 4 Solo's who can play like a 4-man. You also need to have the correct perk set-up and be stubborn enough and good enough to outlast a SM.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3371291#Comment_3371291

    I never DC, but if the match is 100% result of 1 hatch escape or 4K. I will suicide on hook.

    I play killer and lucky enough I dont always play against Knight,SM

    But my point still stand, I dont use 2h of gaming for 3 matches of DBD.

    ah the whole hatch dc trick

    i mostly face knight and merchant on the weekends and rarily late night when i play a couple of games

    so if the match goes long you just give up to get more gaming time? i have been in 3 gen situations versus doc and hags (among others in solo queue) and still stick it out to help my teammates

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3372934#Comment_3372934

    They could not break the 3-gen in under 20 minutes.

    Few broke the 3-gen in the first place but only like one team broke it anywhere even close to 20 minutes.

    You can't really adapt it, no. You need to basically play in a 4-man or get 4 Solo's who can play like a 4-man. You also need to have the correct perk set-up and be stubborn enough and good enough to outlast a SM.

    so its a skill issue...it is possible and players have adapted (well swf anyways)

    solos need to get buffed again then to reach those levels or a nerf to call of brine(not having it stack with anything other gen kicking perk) since eruption got changed and overcharge really isnt overpowered right now

  • @Skill_issue said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3372970#Comment_3372970

    so its a skill issue...it is possible and players have adapted (well swf anyways)

    solos need to get buffed again then to reach those levels or a nerf to call of brine(not having it stack with anything other gen kicking perk) since eruption got changed and overcharge really isnt overpowered right now

    Did...you misread what I said?

    Some of the best players in the world couldn't break the 3-gen lock. How in the ######### is the average player supposed to do anything about that?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3373015#Comment_3373015

    Did...you misread what I said?

    Some of the best players in the world couldn't break the 3-gen lock. How in the ######### is the average player supposed to do anything about that?

    Play DBD eight hours a day, every day. Train hard like your going for an Olympic gold. Then hope you get 3 equally cracked teammates loaded down with perks and toolboxes, RNG doesn't screw you over too much and the killer a smidge worse than you are. You might have lost your job, your S.O. might have left you and taken everything down to the new puppy and your family is ready to stage an intervention.

    But hey, you cracked that 3-gen.

    /s

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3373015#Comment_3373015

    Did...you misread what I said?

    Some of the best players in the world couldn't break the 3-gen lock. How in the ######### is the average player supposed to do anything about that?

    yes i misread that apologies...the most i can say is gen rush and stay in pairs like i listed before (i am sure merchant will be changed to not be as much of a threat with 3 gen situations).

    i do agree the 3 gen kicking strat makes her miserable to play against for the average player

  • This thread is silly. Even competitive survivor veterans are struggling against the 3 gen skull merchant. She needs a rework like Otz has even said

  • I agree there needs to be some change, but at the same time the 2 Skull Merchants who used this tactic that I've versed have been beaten. I'm not sure what skill level they are though and 2 is a very small number. Yet it's not impossible.

    I'm more in favour of changing gen rng so that they're spread out more, although a change to the exposed status with the drones (so that if drones are less than x distance apart, only one with have the exposed status) could be worthwhile.

    It may also benefit the Skull Merchant players, because she has more variety in her abilities than simply standing by a 3 gen.

  • @Foxtrick said:

    This thread is silly. Even competitive survivor veterans are struggling against the 3 gen skull merchant. She needs a rework like Otz has even said

    @Marc_go_solo said:

    I agree there needs to be some change, but at the same time the 2 Skull Merchants who used this tactic that I've versed have been beaten. I'm not sure what skill level they are though and 2 is a very small number. Yet it's not impossible.

    I'm more in favour of changing gen rng so that they're spread out more, although a change to the exposed status with the drones (so that if drones are less than x distance apart, only one with have the exposed status) could be worthwhile.

    It may also benefit the Skull Merchant players, because she has more variety in her abilities than simply standing by a 3 gen.


    it is more the gen regression perks trust me there are various other builds she can use and are fun(even made another post listing them and other from the community giving their builds)

  • here is an easy counter to tide you over for this weekend just burn a map offering for the knights realm or springwood trust me 3 gens are really hard to hold on those maps...we just beat 5 skull merchants back to back playing in pairs on coms. they werent short games but it is possible

  • They really need to nerf Call of Brine/Overcharge, which I think is the main issue.

    Call of Brine should just work on one gen at a time. And Overcharge should not stack with it. Pain Resonance is fine because it requires killers to get downs to use it. But CoB/Overcharge are just insane gen regression. I know a lot of killer mains will complain about it, but pair it with a Dead Hard nerf and everyone should be relatively happy.

  • @HarryMasonEnjoyer said:

    this is far, far, FAR more coordination and preparation than can be reasonably expected for every game you play. you don't know what killer it is or what strat they're using when you load into a match, so you either always do this with a squad or just suffer for half an hour (or do the really smart thing which is quit.)

    full on comp squads have difficulties breaking 3-gens against these two. this is a game design issue, nothing more, nothing less.

    in fairness, you need good team coordination against most killers whether it is disarming traps, bodyblocking, looping/gen rushing,etc. it is 4 survivors vs 1 killer and a good team will usually win

1 2 ›