Why DH is so popular video

https://youtu.be/5FPlll-3hdI


I thought this was a pretty good video by @ScottJund and I agree with his take.

Comments

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359363#Comment_3359363

    I disagree it’s in the moment. Im at work all day today, not in the moment, and I still think the same thing no matter what day you ask me.

    Even with the instances you’re mentioning I will get way, way more downs with SB since I can play around that way easier than a DH. DH is based on their skill, SB my skill comes into play.

    If you say so boss 👍️

  • @AmpersandUnderscore said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359633#Comment_3359633

    Then I feel like we're saying the same thing with different words.

    Your 'loss aversion' only occurs when the survivor presses e to dead hard, which is what I'm referring to as 'being outplayed'. You seem to be focused on the part where the anticipated phenomenon is 'swing weapon and down survivor' doesn't occur, and I'm looking at the reason why that happened: the survivor did something to change the expected outcome.

    Any scenarios that avoid loss aversion are 'always on' or 'on a timer' forms of hit avoidance, but also don't require any precise timing or reaction by the survivor either.

    The key difference between other forms of hit avoidance and dead hard is the unknown that comes from having a real person as an opponent, which is what we're both seemingly agreeing on.

    That difference in language matters.

    This is a game. The potential for outplaying your opponents is a thing that should exist. It's a good thing.

    However, again... this is a game. All parties involved should be enjoying it if possible. Outplays can and should exist, but ones that feel like garbage because they feel like they robbed one player of something they spent a considerable amount of time to get generally shouldn't.

    You seem to be saying that Dead Hard is fine and stay as it is. I'm saying it absolutely isn't fine and shouldn't stay.

  • @BlueHorkew said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359225#Comment_3359225

    Is there a perk that is fun for the other side?

    Like, don't we all just tolerate at best the other side's perks xD

    I mean there is no mither if you play Oni that can be pretty fun :D

  • DH is anything but fun to use. How many times I use it properly and end up dead with exhausted status seconds after dying, yeah...so much fun, lemme tell ya.

    Even when it works it's like ok, cool. I have more fun with SB tbh. But that's just me, and what do I know anyway. :)

  • It was fun for killer but not for survivors just like how dead hard is fun for survivors but not for killer.

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359430#Comment_3359430

    ~"Even with the instances you’re mentioning I will get way, way more downs with SB since I can play around that way easier than a DH. DH is based on their skill, SB my skill comes into play.

    Dh is based on their skill, Sprint Burst is based on both players skill? Making sure I understand this.

    I can't fathom how DH and SB are even comparable. I play both sides and from any angle, they aren't even remotely the same strength. SB can net you saves, get a ways, all kinds of things that hinge on just hitting the button. 99 and all achieves this easily.

    Dh requires me to be injured and have self control to hit that button with a 0.5 second window. If I use DH to get closer to the hook for that save, I'm going down. It's automatically trade. SB can turn that same situation into a double get-a-way. Ah.. Im doing it again.

    Point is, they arent the same. At all. In any version of the trials. Loss aversion? Feels bad? The killer is literally trying to kill my character. Can we get participation trophies then? I just dont understand the entitlement. Dh is so difficult to make work, isnt nearly as toxic as old Eruption, yet its always being compared evenly.

    BHVR takes forever to change things. Im beginning to see why.

    What are you even talking about? I never said they were the same and participation trophies? You went on some rant about stuff I never implied, said, or even eluded to.

    SB is not even remotely better than DH. There’s a reason everyone runs DH and not SB and no it’s not because it’s “fun” rofl. People have this boogeyman thing about SB just getting 99’d and you can do all these things which basically happens almost never.

    Neigher DH or Eruption is “toxic” that’s such a weird choice of words. They are both simply unhealthy for the game in current design and you are getting way more value from DH than Eruption.

    Both perks are comparable because they are both exhaustion perks and you essentially only get 1 exhaustion perk to use at once.

  • @BlueHorkew said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359664#Comment_3359664

    Yeah, putting a guard in a loop is the most skillful play of the century.

    You don't want balance, you just want to not have to deal with the perk. And apparently making the best killers in the game better is the solution people say its fair.

    What a BS statement, i haven't seen a rise in M1 killers because of DH, oh wait because those M2 killers can make up for the lost time. Its almost like every single S, A and B tier killer are all M2 killers with exception of pinhead.

    Poor nurse gets countered by DH, should have been playing wraith. Thats how you get easy Ws apparently.

    Yeah, putting a guard in a loop is the most skillful play of the century.

    Knight is one of the weakest m2 killers in the game. Also, when you get a guard on you exhaust counters it.

    You don't want balance, you just want to not have to deal with the perk.

    You mean the undisputed best perk in the entire game that saw a buff? It is literally a nerf if they reverted DH when I'm playing Demo. The best perk in the entire game was buffed in a patch where they were nerfing all top used perks. I literally see this perk 2-3 times in every game, and vs a killer like Demo is mostly a free 3rd health state.

    Poor nurse gets countered by DH

    Nurse struggles with SB+ fixated btw. Fun fact Nurse struggles with stealth. SB is the best stealth exhaustion. Sounds more like a crutch for DH than a issue with balance.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359678#Comment_3359678

    That difference in language matters.

    This is a game. The potential for outplaying your opponents is a thing that should exist. It's a good thing.

    However, again... this is a game. All parties involved should be enjoying it if possible. Outplays can and should exist, but ones that feel like garbage because they feel like they robbed one player of something they spent a considerable amount of time to get generally shouldn't.

    You seem to be saying that Dead Hard is fine and stay as it is. I'm saying it absolutely isn't fine and shouldn't stay.

    I agree the language matters. I say 'outplay' because if dead hard were deleted, then 99% Sprint burst would become the target of annoyance. As it is, the new blood rush perk will likely be irritating to face as well, even though it's single use, because it will be Sprint burst on 'e' instead of endurance.

    I don't think dead hard is perfect, but it gets far more anger than it deserves. By design, it's the 'exhaustion perk that triggers on demand', so unless it's deleted or reworked completely it will always be 'annoying' to face... Again, that's because it gives the survivor a reaction to avoid something the killer wants to do (like blood rush will).

    I also don't have any constructive ideas for how to fix Dead Hard as it is. I have issues with every 'recommended fix' I've seen outside of deleting it.

    It's also worth noting that I think the perk is overhated because I personally find it to be incredibly unreliable as survivor. So much so that I've been using Lithe or nothing at all for months. It's incredibly dependent on killer's latency. Some games I was able to get consistent value, others i still effectively get exhausted on the ground. I have the same sporadic latency issue with vaulting, where hits land after I've taken two steps out of the window, but at least then I can choose to run resilience to mitigate it.

    Dead Hard is countered by insta downs, deep wound (which can be applied base kit), exhaustion, and latency. It can be baited out or wasted if the survivor makes a mistake or is forced into a mistake.

    It's also countered by fearmonger and blood echo. I tend to get decent fearmonger value in my killer games because, even if I get hit with dead hard once, I know they have to avoid touching gens for 40 seconds of free slowdown if they want to dead hard again later. I doubt that some people have even tried these perks, even though dead hard (or exhaustion perks in general) are so powerful. They're worth yelling about, but somehow not worth trying to use the tools to deal with in game.

  • At least Sprint Burst does not force Killers to play who goes first when your corner a Survivor.

    At least Sprint Burst is not a third health state.

    At least Sprint Burst is countered by giving its users a scare.

    Yeah I dont really care if Scott Jund thinks 4 Dead Hards per game is fun, I dont and that is what matters to me and others.

    I could easily argue myself that I find current ERUPTION fun, does that mean it should stay? NO.

  • @AmpersandUnderscore said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359903#Comment_3359903

    I agree the language matters. I say 'outplay' because if dead hard were deleted, then 99% Sprint burst would become the target of annoyance. As it is, the new blood rush perk will likely be irritating to face as well, even though it's single use, because it will be Sprint burst on 'e' instead of endurance.

    I don't think dead hard is perfect, but it gets far more anger than it deserves. By design, it's the 'exhaustion perk that triggers on demand', so unless it's deleted or reworked completely it will always be 'annoying' to face... Again, that's because it gives the survivor a reaction to avoid something the killer wants to do (like blood rush will).

    I also don't have any constructive ideas for how to fix Dead Hard as it is. I have issues with every 'recommended fix' I've seen outside of deleting it.

    It's also worth noting that I think the perk is overhated because I personally find it to be incredibly unreliable as survivor. So much so that I've been using Lithe or nothing at all for months. It's incredibly dependent on killer's latency. Some games I was able to get consistent value, others i still effectively get exhausted on the ground. I have the same sporadic latency issue with vaulting, where hits land after I've taken two steps out of the window, but at least then I can choose to run resilience to mitigate it.

    Dead Hard is countered by insta downs, deep wound (which can be applied base kit), exhaustion, and latency. It can be baited out or wasted if the survivor makes a mistake or is forced into a mistake.

    It's also countered by fearmonger and blood echo. I tend to get decent fearmonger value in my killer games because, even if I get hit with dead hard once, I know they have to avoid touching gens for 40 seconds of free slowdown if they want to dead hard again later. I doubt that some people have even tried these perks, even though dead hard (or exhaustion perks in general) are so powerful. They're worth yelling about, but somehow not worth trying to use the tools to deal with in game.

    Sprint Burst will never be as hated as Dead Hard for a multitude of reasons. Firstly it gives the Killer zero fake positive feedback. Secondly 99ing a SB is tricky and can backfire either via walking at the wrong time to get it or holding it for too long resulting in less total gen progress. Thirdly, most of the time SB happens at the very start of a chase when the Killer player isn't that invested in the chase yet... the survivor adding 10s to a chase at the start feels way different than the survivor adding 10s to a chase that should be over already.

    Part of why you feel like Dead Hard is over hated is simple. The killer doesn't see half the DH fails. Specifically the exhausted on the ground ones. For the Killer, it feels much more reliable than it is. Also how reliable it is or isn't doesn't change the fact that right here right now when it did work... it royaly sucks for the Killer and... usually sucks way worse than old DH did.

    As for countering it... outside of actively tunneling and swinging into basekit BT, most killers actually can't inflict deep wound at will. Oh gee, would you look at that... the second most popular topic on the forum is about tunneling being out of control. Seems to me like some Killers are actively using basekit BT to counter DH and survivors hate it. As for Blood Echo, outside of Plague and Legion most killers probably won't be able to get value out of it because of CoH and Medkits, and Legion doesn't need BE to counter DH anymore. The slowdown you're talking about with Fearmonger is only relevant if you let the survivor who successfully dead harded you go... and assumes the Survivor isn't able to do something else productive with that 40s exhaustion... like mending the deep wound, setting up CoH and self healing. It also doesn't help if you lost your first 2 gens during that chase and don't even have a down. Fearmonger isn't a terrible perk, but it isn't as good a counter to DH as you're implying.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://youtu.be/5FPlll-3hdI

    I thought this was a pretty good video by @ScottJund and I agree with his take.

    Scott jund Is extremely biased (and delusional). I don't even care to hear what he will say at this point, dead hard Is unhealthy for the game and need to go (i could stay here ages about explaining the reasons, but i'm tired of explaining them in every thread about dead hard that i found until now...)

  • I hate it when people say "HuRr DuRr If DeAd HaRd GeTs GuTtEd SpRiNt BuRsT wIlL bE mEtA"

    Lithe is obviously stronger, since you don't have to walk everywhere trying to not set the thing off

    Mindbreaker (fearmonger for you newer people) also makes sprint burst users cry the most, since they have to either walk around doing nothing productive to get the exhaustion down after running to the gen or stick through the gen with a fat exhaustion timer

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    Might just be me but i don't remember people complaining about sprint burst in the short time after 6.1 where people thought the new dead hard was useless

    I saw a single thread after the dead hard change complaining about sprint burst with exactly one upvote and about fifty comments telling them they were dumb.

    Dead hard is objectively more frustrating than sprint burst. I can lunge after a sprint burst user after following them for a couple seconds.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3359977#Comment_3359977

    Sprint Burst will never be as hated as Dead Hard for a multitude of reasons. Firstly it gives the Killer zero fake positive feedback. Secondly 99ing a SB is tricky and can backfire either via walking at the wrong time to get it or holding it for too long resulting in less total gen progress. Thirdly, most of the time SB happens at the very start of a chase when the Killer player isn't that invested in the chase yet... the survivor adding 10s to a chase at the start feels way different than the survivor adding 10s to a chase that should be over already.

    Part of why you feel like Dead Hard is over hated is simple. The killer doesn't see half the DH fails. Specifically the exhausted on the ground ones. For the Killer, it feels much more reliable than it is. Also how reliable it is or isn't doesn't change the fact that right here right now when it did work... it royaly sucks for the Killer and... usually sucks way worse than old DH did.

    As for countering it... outside of actively tunneling and swinging into basekit BT, most killers actually can't inflict deep wound at will. Oh gee, would you look at that... the second most popular topic on the forum is about tunneling being out of control. Seems to me like some Killers are actively using basekit BT to counter DH and survivors hate it. As for Blood Echo, outside of Plague and Legion most killers probably won't be able to get value out of it because of CoH and Medkits, and Legion doesn't need BE to counter DH anymore. The slowdown you're talking about with Fearmonger is only relevant if you let the survivor who successfully dead harded you go... and assumes the Survivor isn't able to do something else productive with that 40s exhaustion... like mending the deep wound, setting up CoH and self healing. It also doesn't help if you lost your first 2 gens during that chase and don't even have a down. Fearmonger isn't a terrible perk, but it isn't as good a counter to DH as you're implying.

    I wonder how many people remember that new DH triggers successful hit cooldowns and works against all the distance-based killer powers, but old DH just gave a missed attack (and moving forward a bit didn't necessarily help as much). The missed attack CD is shorter than the successful hit CD. And then new DH gives a speed boost.

    "DH for distance" not being a thing only nerfed it so much when it's useful in a lot of similar tiles and baiting it out achieves the same. The biggest beneficiary is just Trapper, who still sucks.

  • I don't care what Scott thinks, staring at a Survivor's back waiting for them to press E is terrible gameplay.

    In a game about slashers chasing down survivors, a good play from the Killer is to NOT slash the survivors, and a good play from the Survivors is to purposely LET THE KILLER HIT THEM. Let that sink in.

  • I think this video is just a display of Scott's ego. You would do better with this perk. You would use this if this got nerfed. You will complain about this. I understand that you play the game a lot, but you do not know what people will do or think. Ego check please.

    Ego aside, I disagree with SB being more consistent than DH. Do you really think 99ing and holding SB is an easier requirement than being injured?

1 2 ›