What do you think stops BHVR from showing us who WAS playing with friends or solo?

Heard this idea for years... Just think of SWFs and solo icons on the tally screen, not before but AT THE END of the match.

Do you think killers could use it as an "excuse"? Maybe the system can't even track it 100% when it comes to crossplay? Do you have any other reasons? And if not or you don't care, why not just show it at the end for a better understandment what's really happening in our games?

Comments

  • @DBDVulture said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329520#Comment_3329520

    Killer is in a completely terrible state right now if you are playing at high MMR.

    I have a request for you and the entire DBD staff : play killer for a month with a 3000 MMR account that can't lose any mmr (if necessary have the accounts have the MMR reset daily).

    The rules for the challenge are as follows :

    1. You may not play Nurse/Blight.
    2. You may not only play killers with only their best addons. Imagine you get 1 of each addon and then you have to go through all the other addons before your "good addons" reset. ( There is one exception: you are allowed to play Michael Myers with either purple tombstone or infinite T3 because he is unplayable without one addon or the other).

    See how much fun you have.

    "Would it be cool to know? Yes. Would it be beneficial? I'm not quite convinced"

    After hundreds of matching tests in my own game I have concluded the following:

    1. Playing against SWF is not fun and is more frustrating
    2. Playing against SWF gives me harder matches and fewer points
    3. Items make survivors stronger - so I should play people who bring fewer items
    4. Killer queue times are instant so I can be very selective about who I play against.
    5. I have the most fair matches when all the survivors are playing alone.

    Conclusion:

    I should do my best to play against SWF players as infrequently as possible.

    When someone is in my lobby with TTV I immediately open their stream to see if they are solo or SWF. Not Queen determined years ago this was not against the rules. Yes I will attempt to also see their perks. Why? Because playing killer is getting less fun all the time.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329309#Comment_3329309

    The majority of my matches are SWF. I know this because I look at the profile of everyone who comes into my game. I do not play anyone who is playing 3/4 man SWF anymore- unless they are under a certain number of hours. Before this patch playing against 2x 2 man SWF teams was somewhat bearable. But now everyone is more efficient and it feels like every game is against a 4 man SWF.

    When I play DBD I am selective with my lobbies. I do not play vs 4 medkits (unless I am playing Plague) because I can't know if they are brown or purple .

    When I see people come in to my lobby I can tell if they are solo or in a group depending on when they come in/leave. Often I "shop" around until I know that I'm not playing against a 3/4 man SWF.

    Most of the time I already know who is in a SWF before the game starts. If player 3 leaves then the replacement player cannot be in a SWF with anyone else. Then if player 1 leaves I know the same information. Also if player 1 & 2 were alone in the lobby for 20 seconds then I also know player 1 is alone; by odds of elimination I also know player 4 is alone since players 1,2 & 3 are alone.

    When someone is in my lobby with TTV I immediately open their stream to see if they are solo or SWF. Not Queen determined years ago this was not against the rules. Yes I will attempt to also see their perks. Why? Because playing killer is getting less fun all the time.

    When someone comes in with anonymous mode on I will usually leave the lobby. Why? If you're not sure - dodge. There are an infinite number of survivors lined up waiting.

    People lie to me all the time and say : we aren't swf. Then I say : I can see you on each other's friends list. And then they say - well we're not a full swf so it doesn't count. That's not how it works you are either solo queue or you are not.

    You've obviously well thought out your post here, and also have some detective-work-backed-paranoia from too many super sweaty matches, so I do not want to simply discount what you're saying here.

    From what I've observed of the devs moves over the years, they focus their changes primarily on the casual middling groups of players. Those not veteran experts nor absolute newbies. Meaning they aren't focusing on the top level of play, where you prolly are as well as most of your opponents. This should always be kept in mind when we suggest changes ourselves.

    Putting aside the possibly dubious "screen sniping" part of your post, which for all I know is indeed fair game with streamers, I do have one direct problem with one aspect you brought up:

    The lobby dodging, or shopping around, or whatever is such a problem where matchmaking is concerned. The current system has just one shot at a fair-ish match, and the dodging and resultant backfilling leads to the lopsided matches others come here to properly complain about. I get that you are attempting to avoid SWF at all costs, but it is borking up the matchmaking as well.

  • I didn't say it did. I was answering something proposed by another player. But if you have to ask you can still play with crossplay off if you have the patience. Personally, I think names should be hidden from killers period until the game begins. All the info you need is what the survivors are carrying.

  • @Peanits said:

    It would definitely be nice to see on paper, but in practice I could see it turning sour pretty quickly.

    Groups of two or more make up about half of all Survivors (varies per region). You're probably facing and beating some sort of group in each match, but you may not even realize it because on average, grouped players don't really perform better than ungrouped players. While great Survivors playing together and coordinating can be very powerful, the vast majority of people are just casually hanging out with their friends, no harder to kill than anyone else.

    On paper, this sounds like a great thing. You'll see that you're beating groups on a regular basis and it might show how rare these unstoppable squads are, maybe even show that even competent solo players can do really well sometimes. But in practice, that's not how brains work. It's easy to look at a win and go, "I won because I'm good." - you just won what is supposedly a hard match, after all. It's a lot harder to swallow a loss and say, "I lost because I didn't do as well as I could." This isn't something that's exclusive to any side or even Dead by Daylight/gaming as whole. When someone's frustrated, it's very difficult to take a step back and think rationally.

    I do fear that showing this would only lead to SWF becoming more of a scapegoat when someone has a rough match (if one was even present). It becomes an easy thing you can point to and go, "Well that's why I lost." - even if you killed multiple groups without any problem in your previous matches. It doesn't make you feel better about your loss, it doesn't make you reflect on what you could have done differently, it just directs your anger to people who are simply playing the game. Features which help you direct your frustration towards other people rather than reflecting on your performance will always be a tough sell.

    And to be clear, yes, although they are very rare, there are some super coordinated highly skilled groups out there who could very well be very difficult to catch, and by no means do I mean to deny that. The scapegoat situation I'm referring to are the games that definitely could have played out differently depending on how you performed and the decisions you made.

    Short version: Would it be cool to know? Yes. Would it be beneficial? I'm not quite convinced. Ultimately, the time spend working on a feature like this would probably be better spent on balance or new QOL features to make those kinds of matches less frustrating in the first place.

    Survivors already do this, by blaming losses on the fact that they are solo q, even though BHVR has repeatedly said that most SWFs don't have a much bigger win rate than solo q.

    This means that when killers complain about SWFs, they get told that they usually aren't losing specifically because of SWFs..... But when survivors complain about losing because they are in solo q, BHVR changes the game to make the solo q experience better, instead of repeatedly reminding survivors they aren't losing specifically because they are in solo q.

  • My answer to the question is nothing. BHVR just doesn't like putting in the work.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3330485#Comment_3330485

    You've obviously well thought out your post here, and also have some detective-work-backed-paranoia from too many super sweaty matches, so I do not want to simply discount what you're saying here.

    From what I've observed of the devs moves over the years, they focus their changes primarily on the casual middling groups of players. Those not veteran experts nor absolute newbies. Meaning they aren't focusing on the top level of play, where you prolly are as well as most of your opponents. This should always be kept in mind when we suggest changes ourselves.

    Putting aside the possibly dubious "screen sniping" part of your post, which for all I know is indeed fair game with streamers, I do have one direct problem with one aspect you brought up:

    The lobby dodging, or shopping around, or whatever is such a problem where matchmaking is concerned. The current system has just one shot at a fair-ish match, and the dodging and resultant backfilling leads to the lopsided matches others come here to properly complain about. I get that you are attempting to avoid SWF at all costs, but it is borking up the matchmaking as well.

    It doesn't really seem to matter for me to a degree- every match is sweaty. The last game I played I played (yesterday) was against a 4 man SWF and they picked RPD which is a super easy map for me. I controlled a 3 gen in the main room and they were powerless.


    You can call me paranoid if you want but I would like not not need to tunnel every game. If I know I am against solos I usually try to play nice. If it's SWF's I just tunnel the most opportunistic person out.


    Fundamentally speaking DBD has been one step away from killer being miserable for most of the game's existence.

  • Add the grouped indicator prematch, add massive post game bonuses relative to group size to killers who still opt to go against it.

  • @Veinslay said:

    If they showed that info, then the guy in the 4 man can't lie and go "I wAs SoLo" in end game chat

    And that would accomplish what exactly? The match is already over so what does it matter? Only thing that it can bring is toxicity at end chat and killer mains would always blame their loss on SWF instead of themselves

  • Even if swf doesn’t have that high an escape rate compared to solo queue, it sure doesn’t feel good to play against one, especially when playing a Stealth Killer/Build.

    Killers should be given a swf indicator pre game and BP bonuses for going up against swf

  • @Crikety said:

    Add the grouped indicator prematch, add massive post game bonuses relative to group size to killers who still opt to go against it.

    @appleas said:

    Even if swf doesn’t have that high an escape rate compared to solo queue, it sure doesn’t feel good to play against one, especially when playing a Stealth Killer/Build.

    Killers should be given a swf indicator pre game and BP bonuses for going up against swf

    I do not see how adding an indicator pre-game results in any SWF ever getting a match at all. No amount of bribery will make killers take them on when they have the option to get guaranteed just solos every time. And with half of all survs in at least a two-man team, queue times for everyone in both roles are now screwed.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3331585#Comment_3331585

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3331738#Comment_3331738

    I do not see how adding an indicator pre-game results in any SWF ever getting a match at all. No amount of bribery will make killers take them on when they have the option to get guaranteed just solos every time. And with half of all survs in at least a two-man team, queue times for everyone in both roles are now screwed.

    If the majority of the Killer population end up dodging 3/4 man swf lobbies even with incentives, then at the very least, it’s a wakeup call to the devs on how much swf is disliked and they need to rethink their priorities in balancing the game.

    If swf not being nerfed is the rule to play around, then the alternative is to let the Killer playerbase decide if they wish to go against swf with incentives for doing so.

    The current idea that has been floating around after the Survivor HUD update is that with Solo queue being closer to Swf, Killers can be buffed accordingly. While it sounds great on paper, it’s going to be very hard to pull off. Swf, Solo queue and Killer groups all make up one triangle. Since solo queue buffs will always apply for swf, balancing solo queue and killer will always mean that swf will be one step above the other two.

    Balancing all parties means that every group has to be subjected to buffs and nerfs. However if one group (swf) cannot be nerfed and gets indirect buffs when another (solo queue) is buffed, it’s pretty obvious that the game will never be balanced for all groups. I wouldn’t be surprised if after 1 year, solo queue players would still be complaining about killers being overpowered and said killers would be complaining about swf being overpowered.

  • being able to see items, character levels, and check profiles.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329978#Comment_3329978

    being able to see items, character levels, and check profiles.

    Uh...

    • If seeing items is such a problem for you, just do the last second switch.
    • What benefit is there to seeing character levels?
    • If you don't want someone checking your profile, private it or play anon mode.

    Really not seeing your point here.

  • Didn't expect that amount of feedback when i started the thread, really appriciate it.

    How i see it you can never be 100% sure if you're playing with or against SWFs, even when it felt like it. That's the main reason for the idea and it should have been implemented BEFORE any buffs, nerfs or giving basekit things for whatever side. Without making a difference between solos and SWFs ingame, it will never be balanced - just a bit closer. Don't forget that the most survs buffs, esp. the basekit things will always benefit SWFs more than solos. Only the HUD changes were a buff for solos alone so far.

    If i'm correct BHVR already collected stats about SWFs, not sure if that was only PC. But i guess the game can track it, even with crossplay on consoles, as survs need to invite other players. So all BHVR would need to do is to create an icon. An icon to rule them all so to speak. It's all about giving informations and balance arround it. Or pretend there isn't a difference and keep it as it is.

  • @appleas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3331799#Comment_3331799

    If the majority of the Killer population end up dodging 3/4 man swf lobbies even with incentives, then at the very least, it’s a wakeup call to the devs on how much swf is disliked and they need to rethink their priorities in balancing the game.

    If swf not being nerfed is the rule to play around, then the alternative is to let the Killer playerbase decide if they wish to go against swf with incentives for doing so.

    The current idea that has been floating around after the Survivor HUD update is that with Solo queue being closer to Swf, Killers can be buffed accordingly. While it sounds great on paper, it’s going to be very hard to pull off. Swf, Solo queue and Killer groups all make up one triangle. Since solo queue buffs will always apply for swf, balancing solo queue and killer will always mean that swf will be one step above the other two.

    Balancing all parties means that every group has to be subjected to buffs and nerfs. However if one group (swf) cannot be nerfed and gets indirect buffs when another (solo queue) is buffed, it’s pretty obvious that the game will never be balanced for all groups. I wouldn’t be surprised if after 1 year, solo queue players would still be complaining about killers being overpowered and said killers would be complaining about swf being overpowered.

    From what I've seen of their changes over the years they will not show SWF in the lobby pre-game, nor will they impose tourney limitations on SWF. They won't do either, and attempt changes around that. Whether that's the way to go or not is another thread entirely, just the current reality as I see it.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329978#Comment_3329978

    being able to see items, character levels, and check profiles.

    Say I have a P100 Claudette but I choose to play a P1 Meg. Did my skill level drop 99 points?

    Was my skill level actually high because I have a P100 Claud?

    🤔

  • @Mr_K said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3331822#Comment_3331822

    Say I have a P100 Claudette but I choose to play a P1 Meg. Did my skill level drop 99 points?

    Was my skill level actually high because I have a P100 Claud?

    🤔

    wow that was a really smart take if only i forgot to mention checking profiles for hours lol.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3332134#Comment_3332134

    wow that was a really smart take if only i forgot to mention checking profiles for hours lol.

    Only works if you're on the same platform. As a Steam player, I rarely see other Steam players to be able to click on those profiles.

  • @DBDVulture said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329520#Comment_3329520

    Killer is in a completely terrible state right now if you are playing at high MMR.

    I have a request for you and the entire DBD staff : play killer for a month with a 3000 MMR account that can't lose any mmr (if necessary have the accounts have the MMR reset daily).

    The rules for the challenge are as follows :

    1. You may not play Nurse/Blight.
    2. You may not only play killers with only their best addons. Imagine you get 1 of each addon and then you have to go through all the other addons before your "good addons" reset. ( There is one exception: you are allowed to play Michael Myers with either purple tombstone or infinite T3 because he is unplayable without one addon or the other).

    See how much fun you have.

    "Would it be cool to know? Yes. Would it be beneficial? I'm not quite convinced"

    After hundreds of matching tests in my own game I have concluded the following:

    1. Playing against SWF is not fun and is more frustrating
    2. Playing against SWF gives me harder matches and fewer points
    3. Items make survivors stronger - so I should play people who bring fewer items
    4. Killer queue times are instant so I can be very selective about who I play against.
    5. I have the most fair matches when all the survivors are playing alone.

    Conclusion:

    I should do my best to play against SWF players as infrequently as possible.

    When someone is in my lobby with TTV I immediately open their stream to see if they are solo or SWF. Not Queen determined years ago this was not against the rules. Yes I will attempt to also see their perks. Why? Because playing killer is getting less fun all the time.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3329309#Comment_3329309

    The majority of my matches are SWF. I know this because I look at the profile of everyone who comes into my game. I do not play anyone who is playing 3/4 man SWF anymore- unless they are under a certain number of hours. Before this patch playing against 2x 2 man SWF teams was somewhat bearable. But now everyone is more efficient and it feels like every game is against a 4 man SWF.

    When I play DBD I am selective with my lobbies. I do not play vs 4 medkits (unless I am playing Plague) because I can't know if they are brown or purple .

    When I see people come in to my lobby I can tell if they are solo or in a group depending on when they come in/leave. Often I "shop" around until I know that I'm not playing against a 3/4 man SWF.

    Most of the time I already know who is in a SWF before the game starts. If player 3 leaves then the replacement player cannot be in a SWF with anyone else. Then if player 1 leaves I know the same information. Also if player 1 & 2 were alone in the lobby for 20 seconds then I also know player 1 is alone; by odds of elimination I also know player 4 is alone since players 1,2 & 3 are alone.

    When someone is in my lobby with TTV I immediately open their stream to see if they are solo or SWF. Not Queen determined years ago this was not against the rules. Yes I will attempt to also see their perks. Why? Because playing killer is getting less fun all the time.

    When someone comes in with anonymous mode on I will usually leave the lobby. Why? If you're not sure - dodge. There are an infinite number of survivors lined up waiting.

    People lie to me all the time and say : we aren't swf. Then I say : I can see you on each other's friends list. And then they say - well we're not a full swf so it doesn't count. That's not how it works you are either solo queue or you are not.

    So you're opening up someone's stream in lobby to not only see if they're a swf but you're also looking at their perks and loadout as well? Interesting

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3330485#Comment_3330485

    So you're opening up someone's stream in lobby to not only see if they're a swf but you're also looking at their perks and loadout as well? Interesting

    It's not against the rules. And since it's not against the rules I'll do anything inside those boundaries to equalize the massive bonuses people get from playing in a SWF.

    My favorite is finding a 4 man SWF stream on coms who calls out exactly what they are going to do. Looking at how poorly the game goes for people in that scenario shows me that I do the right thing by listening to their coms.

  • @DBDVulture said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3332962#Comment_3332962

    It's not against the rules. And since it's not against the rules I'll do anything inside those boundaries to equalize the massive bonuses people get from playing in a SWF.

    My favorite is finding a 4 man SWF stream on coms who calls out exactly what they are going to do. Looking at how poorly the game goes for people in that scenario shows me that I do the right thing by listening to their coms.

    The more you talk and justify yourself, the worse you look compared to 4 man swfs. I can garauntee if someone did this to you, you'd want this to be changed

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3334516#Comment_3334516

    The more you talk and justify yourself, the worse you look compared to 4 man swfs. I can garauntee if someone did this to you, you'd want this to be changed

    I want SWF to be changed. I have said this for ~6 years. It completely breaks the game and is unfair. I have played with a friend who was streaming at the time and it is what it is.

    SWF being the most powerful force in DBD with zero cost is not good. Change SWF so that it is a choice with some ups and some downs and then it will be balanced.

1 2 ›