Give Me a Reason to Play Survivor

I'm a casual solo player with what I assume a low MMR rating based on my escapes and almost all of my survivor games end with 5-4 gens left and everyone dying or quitting.

I'm so sick of going against the same pain resonance, dead man switch, eruption etc. builds. The effort I have to put in to complete just a single gen when it gets hit by these meta perks over and over again is absurd.

Trust me, I do understand why killers bring them and I don't blame them at all since they're getting ready to face a competitive, communicating, coordinated SWF with gens as priority and constant CoH pressure. I acknowledge that so please don't invalidate my point to use that as an argument. Two problems can exist at once and we don't have to resort to whataboutism.

But us casual solo players are getting crushed under these circumstances. We don't have to be competitive and equip certain perks to enjoy a game and progress. I also don't want to blame my teammates for their mistakes and create a toxic environment.

Expecting a random player I get matched with to memorize every single perk and calculate their timings, let go off the gen at the right second just to not trigger a potential perk to cover the gen for 30 seconds not to halt team progress etc. is unrealistic.

Maybe we have a player in the team not strong in chases (because they don't have to be) so the killer targets them to hook them over and over again to trigger pain resonance and would you look at that all my progress on this gen is already gone because of my teammate and I have to start over do the same gen for the third time. Okay. Why don't I just give up on hook like the rest of them?

I feel like I'll be dragged to filth for stating this since I know some killer mains get very heated whenever someone speaks up as a survivor on this forum but I had to get this off my chest. There are many other things I could state regarding solo experience but I don't want to make it too long. Thank you for listening.

FivrqibWQD8iwTv.png okay.JPG

Comments

  • @burt0r said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283215#Comment_3283215

    Okay let me try to answer this wall of text.

    You're forgetting that certain strategies are only countered by being a SWF. So even if you wanna try hard as solo good luck with that.

    A good team of solo with equal skill can be indistinguishable from swf sometimes and here we again have the problem of not working MMR. If it would work then all survivor and the killer would have comparable skill and the same drive to either win or be casual since that determines if you rise or fall in MMR.

    And since you seem to be a little hung up on lol now, it's the same in normal queue where matchmaking works and the normally good/tryhard players play with other like them and the casuals or bad players are mostly matched with the same except for mixed premade teams like mine with me around platin-diamond and a friend that will never climb out if bronze with her having played it for 5-10 years already and still maxing E first on her main Jinx 😩 and buying tank items when falling behind.

    MMR isn't the only thing that would need fixing. Communication for solo would need as well.

    Others and me have advocated for a ping system or in-game voice for years now and it is up to the devs to finally do something to bring swf, solo and everything in between on the same level.

    Even casual players in league run meta builds, so it's more likely that if those perk combinations stays then the lower levels of DBD would also have to run them to counter them.

    That is exactly what I was saying. The casual is dying out in online pvp games after time when the most efficient stuff aka meta is slowly established.

    I for example played rainbow six siege since release and stopped after my best friend i play it with died 2 years ago. I was pretty good, also around gold/diamond, but nowadays i would get steamrolled because I have no idea of the fast paced meta i see on YouTube today.

    DBD is no different.

    But the problem with that is BHVR giving you mixed messages. If you win too fast you de-pip and don't get a lot of Bloodpoints. If Bloodpoints reflected a win even if quick better you'd see a lot more people become meta slaves. As it is right now if you play too well on either role, you are punished with risk of de-pipping and not gaining many Bloodpoints.

    Maybe if I could get a pip if I won and bloodpoints I would be running Stake-out + Hyperfocus just to counter the current meta and maybe more people would run it as well under those circumstances. So suddenly it would be easier to counter slowdown as people are more focused on winning.

    I won't address your point about pips in more details since that is a subjective goal in my eyes with the monthly hard reset and only the BP rewards.

    But your point about games going too fast with the meta perks, that only happens when non "tryhard" meets "tryhard". When bots sides bring the best then we end up on the same level as if both sides brought absolutely nothing since meta is there to counterbalance other meta. Again a point i made earlier already, when both sides have the same mentality it works but matchmaking does not guarantee that to the same degree like in other games.

    People keep asking for the Bloodpoint bonus to be added to BBQ and chili to incentivize going after other survivors and not killing and if you believe in that argument, we could make the same one for survivors. Perhaps if you got a 100% bonus Bloodpoints if you escaped people would tryhard more.

    The bbq incentive made people play more into the casual mentality not the other way around but that perk is dead today anyway. And you don't need an incentive to make people go for the win, that is inscripted into humans on an instinctual level, but to make them play less competitive and more easy going need a more carrot like approach from the "stick and carrot" principle.

    I play DBD almost daily. I don't play 8 hours because I have work and other obligations, but playing DBD daily and once a week or on the weekend are quite different things.

    Of course they are different and normally different queues should separate those different players but DBD does not allow for that so matchmaking should do that job, to a certain extent.

    As for you quiting, if you've been playing for years already it's only normal you play more sparsely.

    I own this game since its release but played only around 300 hours, just for information. I quit exactly because as a friendly casual killer you get often matched with survivor doing everything to win or not trying to win at all but to toy with the solo killer player.

    I did an experiment by playing the few dozen hours in the last 2 years avoiding all killing and playing extra friendly without blatant farming to see how grateful survivor would be for the different treatment to all the unfun playtstyle compalined about on the forums. And I can tell you it does not feel rewarding to not go for the win and therefore DBD wasn't worth my time after 300 hours, it got boring and repetitive without teammates coupled with occasionally still negative feedback.

    It buffles me that people in this community consider try-harding an insult or something bad, even in ARAM people tryhard and want to win even if it's supposed to be casual. The make it as far on the ladder, what team? If you play non-meta builds in League you get flamed but if you make it to Diamond or even higher with it you simply get extra bragging points and showcase your skill. What more tryhard team? Most people playing ranked are try-harding, that's what the mode is and it is primarily solo-duo. There are no premade teams, But there is Flex queue for that reason. If you want professionals then Unicorns of Love in the past have run some very non-meta comp teams.

    That is the same in all online pvp games. Casuals aren't welcome after game run a certain time. They either get their own playing mode or have to adapt to not be left behind by the people that want to win, no matter what prize awaits them and let's be honest, being the best in whatever video game gives nothing more than only bragging rights outside of real eSports with prize money. Nobody in the real world cares if someone is diamond, platin or challenger in whatever game.

    And about tryhard being an insult, that comes from other casuals that don't like when they don't get their casual matches.

    Uff that's a wall of text and a half. Let's end this discussion here maybe. We went hard of topic and I don't see us seeing eye to eye onto those points.

    I was casual and quit, you are casual and complain about repetitive tryhard killers in your games but the sad reality is that the tryhards always win in the long term in online pvp games and the casuals either adapt, are okay with being at the bottom of the ladder or are driven out of games. That's the way online pvp games go over the course of their lifetime.

    Sheesh.

    Yeah, online pvp games always go this way. I think a large chunk of the dbd player base have never played another pvp game. Casual for me in league is not having my jungle duo dive the level 2 mundo I have been slow pushing into for 2 min and then denying him from farm for the next 15 min. And people say dbd has the most unfun scenarios 😂. I mostly just play norms with my friends now and no one is playing for memes on either side, maybe that's a symptom of going against diamonds to gm's only in norms but I would guess it's at all levels of skill.

    I remember doing double bruiser "kill lanes" bot back in season 3(kill me) but from what I can tell the only players you will find doing that are bronze/super new.

  • Even self admitted casuals are complaining now...

    See BHVR? This is what happens when you don't listen and you also don't know how to Balance your game. Your MMR system is completly useless. Your 39 Perk overhaul changed nothing.

    CHANGE THE CORE OF YOUR GAME or nothing changes.

    We've been saying this for years. You got a good mold of a game but you're not doing anything with it.

    You're surviving based on collecting famous IP's. You'd have died without Myers and you'd be dead if it wasn't for the Resident Evil Chapters saving your game 2 years in a row. Your original content has been very lackluster. Who plays Dredge or Artist? Who likes Eyrie of Crows or Garden of Joy? Nobody...

    Your top 3 killers according to kill stats are ALL LICENSED KILLERS. Pinhead, Sadako and Wesker...You're a very fine line of surviving solely based on New Licensed Content and you're in that place cause your original designs are bad. and you still refuse to listen.

    I legitimetly don't understand why every asymetrical horror game is basicly the same failing formula...They make Map dependant matches. Killer X can't work here cause it's Y Map, Z killer can't work here cause it's W Map. Then the Survivors/Teens are always broken overpowered easy AF to play when the real Fantasy is playing the Monster/Killer/Demon.

    How can so manny devs in so manny games simply not understand that the power fantasy should not be broken!? It's the same as Wrestling, wrestling got big because it played into the fantasy of Mega stars wrestling each other. Whats the point of Wrestling when you completly break that fantasy? Yeah they are athletic guys doing flippy ######### but so what? You don't like Stone Cold or Undertaker for example because you like Steve Austin or Mark, you like Stone Cold and Undertaker, you like the characters and they do as the character.

    You're all basing your games on franchises where barely anyone survives or escapes but then the games are a nightmare to get anyone killed since every survivor/Teen is a superpowered character vs a Demon/Killer/Monster that has barely any tools which only forces players to play in a way where they have to do very specific actions to get results or else..

    Why are you ofsetting the scales so hard!? These games should require team work not have any single survivor/teen be equally as strong or stronger than the monster/killer/demon. if 1 single person can offset the scales then your game is a broken mess.

  • Only challenges or masochism. Otherwise there is completely no fun.

  • @egg_ said:

    There's really no reason to play survivor unless you're playing with friends. It's really unenjoyable, what makes it fun is the company and the chatting, not the experience esp against most killer players

    Totally agree. The game is absolute trash without the social element. I put up with it cuz I have friends who play it, but the general fun and 'close' games died months and months ago for the most part.

  • Do you play games to get your hand held or do you want a challenge, solo survivor is the challenge everyone should welcome. Its awesome.

  • @versacefeng said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283058#Comment_3283058

    Killer queues aren’t that long either. I don’t know what time you play or what region you’re in, but for me there almost as short as survivor queues.

    EU (London) daytime when I'm not at work, it takes a genuine eternity. By the time 10 minutes has passed if I haven't found a game I log off and do something else.

    35 minutes is, obviously, a hyperbole, but it feels that long compared to the literal 15 seconds of waiting that survivor is.

  • Survivor is way more chill than killer, so it's nice to relax a bit after a few stressful matches.

    If you like killer better, you should still play survivor because it makes you a better killer (and killer a better survivor).

    Also, if you keep on trying, you'll survive more and whatever you find difficult now you'll find easy later. (Same for killer)

    Just don't go with the expectation to win. Go to try some specific task.


    e.g. My last survivor games, I've been trying to multi-stun a killer using tripwire, flashbang and head-on, plus a pallet if I can squeeze it. I'm not surviving much (maybe 50% of my matches) but I'm having way more fun than just playing for gens and escapes.


    (I'm mostly solo)

  • @drsoontm said:

    Survivor is way more chill than killer, so it's nice to relax a bit after a few stressful matches.

    If you like killer better, you should still play survivor because it makes you a better killer (and killer a better survivor).

    Also, if you keep on trying, you'll survive more and whatever you find difficult now you'll find easy later. (Same for killer)

    Just don't go with the expectation to win. Go to try some specific task.

    e.g. My last survivor games, I've been trying to multi-stun a killer using tripwire, flashbang and head-on, plus a pallet if I can squeeze it. I'm not surviving much (maybe 50% of my matches) but I'm having way more fun than just playing for gens and escapes.

    (I'm mostly solo)

    What is Tripwire?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    The queue times aren't 35 minutes

    on what part of the planet do you live that your queues are 35 min? Mine are 3min max

  • My reason is it just requires less focus from me than killer does,

  • I play DbD since beta, have 7k+ hours, legacy skins and everything unlocked on both sides.

    This is - BY FAR - the worst period ever for soloQ survivors since the release of the game.

    When I play soloQ, I decided to move asap to the next game, every time the ERUPTION perk is brought by the killer; nothing will change my mind!

    This stupid and utterly unhealthy perk needs to be reworked, asap, period!

  • Crouch spam and Quinton's beanie

  • Just stop playing period. When enough people quit they will make massive changes. Nothing brings about change like a game losing players. Especially one where the business model is to sell cosmetics to as many people as possible. The game is losing players pretty fast. A few more months of these kinds of losses and they'll be forced to do something.

  • Run a fun build and then get good and youll climb.


    Blastmine gives me endless laughs everytime it procs.


    Lithe, Dance with me, Windows of opportunity and Light weight with a Lerys offering and just vanish everytime you vault a window in a chase and zig zag between rooms.


    Run a healer build and play like a MMO Healer


    Play immersed Blendette


    There are tons of perks and wierd combos you can try that change how you play each match.

  • @Phantom_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283058#Comment_3283058

    on what part of the planet do you live that your queues are 35 min? Mine are 3min max

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283403#Comment_3283403

    EU (London) daytime when I'm not at work, it takes a genuine eternity. By the time 10 minutes has passed if I haven't found a game I log off and do something else.

    35 minutes is, obviously, a hyperbole, but it feels that long compared to the literal 15 seconds of waiting that survivor is.

    //

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283403#Comment_3283403

    EU (London) daytime when I'm not at work, it takes a genuine eternity. By the time 10 minutes has passed if I haven't found a game I log off and do something else.

    35 minutes is, obviously, a hyperbole, but it feels that long compared to the literal 15 seconds of waiting that survivor is.

    What?! I´m also playing on EU servers. But mainly during prime time after work. Between 5pm and 8pm killer queue is really fast.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283883#Comment_3283883

    What?! I´m also playing on EU servers. But mainly during prime time after work. Between 5pm and 8pm killer queue is really fast.

    This truly is my personal hell (I never play dbd after I've had work, either because I had to start at 5am and am too exhausted or because I'm not playing before work and then ruining my good mood until 11pm, so the only times I really play rn are days off during like 10am-4pm)

  • @gnehehe said:

    I play DbD since beta, have 7k+ hours, legacy skins and everything unlocked on both sides.

    This is - BY FAR - the worst period ever for soloQ survivors since the release of the game.

    When I play soloQ, I decided to move asap to the next game, every time the ERUPTION perk is brought by the killer; nothing will change my mind!

    This stupid and utterly unhealthy perk needs to be reworked, asap, period!

    It's pretty difficult to enjoy it nowadays...

    @Rootlo said:

    Run a fun build and then get good and youll climb.

    Blastmine gives me endless laughs everytime it procs.

    Lithe, Dance with me, Windows of opportunity and Light weight with a Lerys offering and just vanish everytime you vault a window in a chase and zig zag between rooms.

    Run a healer build and play like a MMO Healer

    Play immersed Blendette

    There are tons of perks and wierd combos you can try that change how you play each match.

    My builds are usually random perks that give me information or fun perks. But I have to admit trying to use more niche perks feels horrible when the opponent brings top tier competitive perks and the game ends before I even got to do anything with my fun perks...

  • Fast queue times. At any time.

  • I meant "Blast Mine", I was half asleep when I've written that.

  • buff solos on pair with SWF with voice comp or quick chat message. i been saying this since day 1 as a killer main

  • Do what Matthieu tells us to do. Play something else. Sounds stupid right but hear me out. I tried it, and dead by daylight isn't even remotely appealing to me anymore. It's so much more fun when you play anything else.

  • Still a lot less stressful than playing killer.

  • @NrrhArts said:

    Do what Matthieu tells us to do. Play something else. Sounds stupid right but hear me out. I tried it, and dead by daylight isn't even remotely appealing to me anymore. It's so much more fun when you play anything else.

    second this. expansion just dropped for WoW and I'm having more fun there than Ive had on DBD for a year.

1 2 ›