MMR Needs attention
I can't play killer anymore. I can't. I'm still pretty new, only played for a month or two, and yet I get matched against HIGH level survivors, people who have prestiged their characters 50 TIMES. I can't match them, it's near impossible to play with people at my own level, i get ran around by these people. Nothing wrong with them per say, not their fault, I just wish the MMR system was actually good and I could get matched with people my level.
Comments
This is a problem.
First, my sympathy. I started this year and after my first 5 trials I only got matchmaked with people that on averave had 10 times my hours. I know the feeling and I often complained with my girlfriend about it ahah. (It's not about the people you play against! It's that you are not at their level and they won't make the game enjoyable, not that they particularly should).
At the time of writing I got stable Iri1 and my matches are people on average like 80-22-50-12.
On 10 matches, I win 9 (3-4k); loose is gates are oepned. (I do tunnel if it is needed, needed=otherwise defeat -> consider me totally average)
I cannot speak of MMR, as it is hidden, but when I look at their profile, and it happens to be public, they often have 2 or 3k hours, with few 700h.
At the moment I have 400h in, around 170h as a killer.
For what it's worth, if you enjoy playing this game, it does get better, but don't expect to win making everyone happy.
My advise is to change killer till you find one that clicks with you. I changed a couple (started with Dredge and Legion, till I found the ones which I could consistently win with, after learning them appropriately).
As we cannot do much about MMR directly, and I don't know how to suggest an improvment (so I won't criticize it more) I can suggest you a killer and perk combination that it might get you out of this feeling.
PLAGUE (add ons to infect objects longer, and 1 apple)
Corrupt Intervention (start by infecting non blocked gens) - Nowhere to Hide (kick gens to reveal people within 24 m, they are gonna be one shot because of the infection) - Eruption (to incapacitate people working on that gen, it often chains up to a x2= 20% regress + incapacitated) - Infectius Fright (to snow ball with the vomit, if they cleanse).
You can adapt the build to Ruin and Undying instead of Nowhere to Hide and Eruption if you feel to focus on understanding the killer first.
This build is controller friendly, farely easy, highly effective and should let you handle easily people till the highest MMR. Don't be sorry to slug or tunnel if you have a hard time against strong people in the game. Play to have fun and don't let people bring you down! :D
Ps. I don't encourage any toxic playstyle, but if you need to play hard on people playing hard don't hold on it ahah
@KblokoBR as you can see, survivors are OP. 400h player with 170h on killer can consistently kill 2-3K hours with few 700h players. Sure killers need help badly loosing so much
From my experience the killer curve looks sth like this: You get sh* on the first three or four matches until you kinda figure out what the killer even does and find some perks that seem useful. Then you sh* on survivors for a number of matches - before the roles are reversed again because your mmr has probably skyrocketed. As you get sh* on again it plummets ... and thus we have a circle. Repeat this for the next few dozen matches - slowly but steadily the mmr you land when you plummet will increase (in the beginning you'll probably eventually face baby survs who don't even have all their perk slots and/or hardly purple perks - over time that will stop even). If you hang in there you will reach a place where you winning or losing has little to do with the hours a survivor has but more with the perks you (and they) bring and which map you land on. It's a frustrating circle to go through -- but at least it's equally frustrating on the survivor side.
Contrary to the first person responding I would advise against camping and tunneling and using all the strongest stuff right off the bat: it only exacerbates the problem. It gives you wins you would not have gotten otherwise and you will get to a place where survivors are prepared to deal with it and then you have nothing else at your disposal. (Personally, neither I nor the people I play with can be ar*ed to deal with sweaty killer playstyles; hard tunneling, hard camping and strongest build available. We just see that as an opportunity to throw for a challenge and go gg next. - This keeps us somewhere around medium MMR; or the way I call it "the wild card bracket" anything from a 4k hour nurse/spirit/blight with those builds to 150hrs strong Evan or what have you.)
Honestly it's not MMR... it's the need for quick Queues that messed you up
Prestige doesn't equal skill... it just shows how much BP a player has spent on a character
People don't want to wait for an even match... they just want to play
People really do make the mistake of thinking that MMR is actual Skilled Based Matchmaking, when MMR is more Matchmaking than anything Skill Based.
In all seriousness MMR needs a complete rework, I know BHVR spent a long time on it, and they dont want to get rid of it, and I am definitely going to be stepping on the toes of BHVR by saying this, but MMR is awful in so many ways.
That they haven't fixed this problem even though devs pointed it out months ago the issue with skipped lobbies and queue times. It's the main reason I no longer play this game regularly and won't buy more DLC.
There are F2P games with better matchmaking than suffering this nonsense. But they don't care as long as 4 survivors get their pubstomp experience.
MMR is fine, when the MMRs are actually close the match is close. This was evidenced for instance back when they were doing testing this year on a bunch of settings and the closest (some say "sweatiest") day was the one that had the matchmaking algorithm following the ratings the most strictly and the most obvious mismatches were the days they turned MMR off or used the Grades for the ratings.
The main cause of mismatches isn't the ratings being off, it's the algorithm ignoring them altogether in the interest of time. Players with really high ratings or really low ratings don't have a ton of opponents available for matches and eventually just get paired in the first available slot regardless of who's there. And if someone dodges a lobby, for example, it's even worse because the system then drags in whoever it can find so it doesn't have the other four players in that lobby sitting around waiting around forever for a replacement.
So are you complaining about MMR or Queue times???
MMR does work... but Queue times make MMR a moot point
It's not even rare to find yourself in a match where killer 4K's at 5 gens. It is definitely not killer's issue. It's everyone's issue
They admitted their system was bad. It's not hard to implement a smarter matchmaking system that just means wait times a little longer for a quality match. Look at Splitgate, they managed to pull it off and they're a tiny studio.
At this point it's a waste of energy even rehashing the discussion over and over on the forums. BHVR know it's a problem they just need to fix it.
If it's not hard to do then why is it taking so long???
I asked "Are you complaining about MMR or Queue times"
BHVR knows that their MMR is crap... then why do they keep using it?