It's good to see kill rates are so high

This should be a clear message to BHVR that it's survivors time to get some improvement and help now. And kind of hard to argue against that at this point.

Of course there is always the argument of survivors suiciding on hooks, and bad matchmaking, screwing over these stats a bit. That's what you'd want to tell yourself if you are a killer main that doesn't want to accept that survivors need a bit of help now. However, hook suicides just don't happen often enough in cases where survivors would have won otherwise to have a particularly big impact on the stats, in my eyes. And on the other side, we also have killers that sometimes just give up or simply let survivors escape.

Also, if matchmaking is only mainly problematic for one side, than that might be a sign that matchmaking alone is not causing these problems.

I do agree, to an extent, with people that question why a 53% kill rate wasn't enough. In general, you'd want kill rates to be somewhere in that area. However, beyond questioning the intentions, the buffs killers got were all healthy, and were a good first step to get DBD into a better state. Gens needed some time increase so that killers wouldn't be quite as dependent on slowdown perks, and the other buffs in particular also give the killer a bit more incentivisation to go for chases. The nerf to DH was especially needed, because I am sure it especially increased escape rates at high ranks.

It's clear that survivors are simply now also in need of improvements like those that killers got. While the killer buffs were great, without compensation buffs on the survivor side, it's no surprise that kill rates increased too much. And instead of reverting the killer buffs, obviously the problematic aspects of survivors need to be addressed now. I would argue the main problems are tunneling and camping on the one side, and solo queue lacking information on the other side.

The tunneling nerf was a good start, but I think most people can agree that it simply wasn't enough. It is nice to be at least somewhat less dependent on anti-tunneling perks though.

Some slowdown perks are arguably also still a bit problematic, but that's just part of the problem of certain items and perks still being too strong. Certain killers have op addons as well, and survivors have their fair share of overly strong items and addons as well, that simpy impact the balance of a match too much.

Comments

  • @Raccoon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192159#Comment_3192159

    I was thinking of PR, in particular.

    Aside from Pop as it's really 'progress' based and niche, now, I think anything over 10% is a bit oppressive.

    10% is nice (in my eyes), as it's easy to understand (when the killer does x I lose ~10s) and decent regression.

    Base regression is bad, yeah, but mini-pop kick isn't terrible - If I have the time/build to kick a gen, I look at it as a bonus instead of a reward.

    11% is too much, huh? I think I see why we've gotten 1 reliable gen regression perk in like 3 years. I think you're missing that gen regression is supposed to significant. Otherwise, what's the point of bringing it? All gens were getting done against killers with pre-nerf Pop and Pain Res when they got value out of both of them basically every hook, and they got like 7 or 8 hooks. What makes you think that 2.5% regression, which takes 1.8 seconds to do, is gonna be good enough to be considered a "bonus"?

  • @TotemSeeker91 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3190220#Comment_3190220

    I mean, if the killer got 2 kills, the game would consider that 6 hooks minimum

    It's an interesting difference isn't it? 6 hooks and 2 kills is someone tunneling like a naked mole rat. Whereas 6 hooks and no kills is pretty feasible.

    Would also be interesting to see which affects the killer's mmr more. Kills or hooks.

  • @Bardon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3191743#Comment_3191743

    See, here's the thing. From your post:

    "I do agree that a 61% kill rate would be much less of a problem if tactics like camping and tunneling weren't effective, and killers got these kill rates *by simply playing fairly* and in a fun and skillful way"

    Who defines what "playing fairly" is? Camping and tunnelling are confirmed as legit strats by the devs so by definition they're also playing fairly, no? Or does your definition mean "Killer has to go for 12 hooks?" or something else?

    "Playing Fairly" sounds pretty subjective to me so you're never going to get agreement on it.

    It's what most people call it. Playing fair and in a fun way pretty much means no camping and tunneling. I was just assuming everyone knows that.

    Yes, I do know that BHVR confirmed that camping and tunneling are legitimate tactics. That's why I also can't really blame people for using those strategies, but rather just the devs for not addressng these strategies enough.

    But most people simply refer to not tunneling and camping as playing fair, because the general consensus is that tunneling and camping, are either not fair, or at least not healthy or fun for the game.

    So all you are doing here is arguing semantics. Which fair enough, I can understand when people say that "playing fairly" is not perfectly accurate. Playing in a healthy and fun way might be more accurate, but of course, this is the "fun" factor for survivors we are talking about in this case.

    But it does not change anything else. It's very clear that camping and tunneling are two of the biggest problems of DBD right now, because no one enjoys going against those strategies, no matter if you call those tactics fair or not. So the question of whether these tactics are fair or not is irrelevant.

    And you know what isn't subjective? Queue times.

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3191937#Comment_3191937

    Here's what people might be missing. Despite the game allegedly being killer sided at low level, it's not as if the killers aren't equally as noobish as the survivors they're playing against.

    That's why I didn't like the Deathslinger nerf, the Pinhead nerf, the Wraith nerf, etc. Those killers were easily dealt with at high level, but they were complained about all the time at low and mid level by survivors who couldn't adapt. Now that they're nerfed, those same survivors are still struggling with them, and the killer players who were pushing those towards viability at the top are now in the dumps more than ever, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people abandoned those killers after that. I know I did.

    The point is that most killer nerfs are ill advised, because they're always nerfing killers that good survivors can beat already, for the purpose of making them less of a noob crusher. The other thing is that, again, killers aren't playing that well with those characters at lower levels, and they reach nowhere near their full potential. So when a killer gets buffed, they're not all of a sudden gonna perform way better at low level, because at low level those killer players don't execute the full potential of their killer. Survivors will lose to them, sure, and lose hard, but that's because they're inefficient and don't know what they're doing. We must balance around people who know how to play the game.

    The game needs to be balanced for all ranks. Not just high ranks. So if killers are a noob crusher, that is still a problem, even if they aren't too strong at high ranks.

    I do feel like one problem DBD really has is that the balance can shift noticeably at lower ranks, and I am not quite sure how the devs could fix that.

  • @_VTK_ said:

    As s solo survivor I would be ok with 45% escape rate, but ~30% is not enough.

    Here's my objective view on what should be done balance-wise, without taking survivor or killer side:

    • Fix tunneling/camping
    • Add action icons (mainly to buff soloQ)
    • Bloodlust is a good game mechanic, it helps to even out the discrepancy between bad and good loopers. While bad loopers do gown very fast, good loopers can loop killers for ages, it's hard to balance the game across all MMR levels like that, bloodlust should be more aggressive on its higher tiers.
    • Jungle gyms/pallet towns can have more pallets/windows, but they should be spaced further apart from each other, so that a single survivor can't run the killer across half of the map for 10 minutes. Once you are done with a jungle gym/pallet town as a survivor you go down, unless the killer makes a big mistakes or you outsmart him. It will also help with balancing the game across all MMR levels.

    I agree with the nerfs to tunneling and camping, as well as solo queue buffs.

    Bloodlust definitely doesn't need to be buffed however. It's bad enough that it even got buffed in the last midchapter update. We do not need a mechanic like that that evens out the discrepancy between bad and good loopers. Instead, we need a better matchmaking system, so newer killer players don't get screwed by having to play against much better survivor players.

    Regarding your fourth point, I think I would go the opposite way. Jungle gyms or pallet towns do not need to be made stronger, instead we need more weaker loops, but more loops in general. This way, both sides have more counterplay at all time. I do not think it's interesting gameplay as a killer to constantly have to break pallets just to eventually down a survivor, and at the same time, I don't think it's fun as survivor to go down simply because after the killer broke the pallet, I had no where else to go anymore.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3191743#Comment_3191743

    I think the big tell for the developers should have been the increase in DCs and suicides on the survivor side. I kind of wish the developers would re-add the "Did you have fun" at the end of the game, so they can also get a measure of how fun the game is currently.

    Players are willing to accept a little bit of difference between a win and a loss, probably around 5%, which is what they had before 6.1. However, 11% is just not going to be acceptable to the player base as a whole. If you want that type of unbalance, just put in bots for survivors and let killers go at it.

    The real problem arises when you realise that the escape rate is probably somewhere between 30-35 % for solo survivors, considering swf survivors have a 15% higher escape rate.

    I still enjoy survivor, but there are just too many possibilities on the survivors side to not have a fun match at all. And then you add on the fact that survivors have a lower win rate, and things aren't looking too good. I do think that all the posts of solo queue being dead is very exaggerated and pretty ridiculous, but there is not doubt that solo queue definitely needs some help now, and asap.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192157#Comment_3192157

    The game needs to be balanced for all ranks. Not just high ranks. So if killers are a noob crusher, that is still a problem, even if they aren't too strong at high ranks.

    I do feel like one problem DBD really has is that the balance can shift noticeably at lower ranks, and I am not quite sure how the devs could fix that.

    Asking to balance for all levels of play is asking to balance around bad players. I've seen no arguments from anybody that disproves this. If the killer is at low MMR and they crush the survivors, then clearly they're not gonna stay there. They'll go up in MMR and face survivors that can actually give them a challenge and beat him. When they start losing, my point is proven, because they didn't start losing until they faced survivors who know how to play efficiently, aka knowing how to play the game.


    Survivors will lose to killers they shouldn't be, but that's an MMR problem because they shouldn't be getting such weak teammates so consistently if they're that good. They can beat the killer with ease if they just have decent teammates, because the killer who's at low MMR isn't playing with the full strength of their killer. For example, low MMR Pinheads won't be able to interrupt the box unless the survivor screws up. Only because they screw up does the killer get them there. So what you're asking for at a base level is for bad survivors to beat bad killers, which translates to good survivors beating good killers. It should be an even match.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192189#Comment_3192189

    It's what most people call it. Playing fair and in a fun way pretty much means no camping and tunneling. I was just assuming everyone knows that.

    Yes, I do know that BHVR confirmed that camping and tunneling are legitimate tactics. That's why I also can't really blame people for using those strategies, but rather just the devs for not addressng these strategies enough.

    But most people simply refer to not tunneling and camping as playing fair, because the general consensus is that tunneling and camping, are either not fair, or at least not healthy or fun for the game.

    So all you are doing here is arguing semantics. Which fair enough, I can understand when people say that "playing fairly" is not perfectly accurate. Playing in a healthy and fun way might be more accurate, but of course, this is the "fun" factor for survivors we are talking about in this case.

    But it does not change anything else. It's very clear that camping and tunneling are two of the biggest problems of DBD right now, because no one enjoys going against those strategies, no matter if you call those tactics fair or not. So the question of whether these tactics are fair or not is irrelevant.

    And you know what isn't subjective? Queue times.

    Again, here you are speaking for "most people". I'd love to see your evidence. Plenty of people consider tunnelling and camping legit and therefore fair - if they were unfair then the devs would state so rather than definitely calling them legit tactics.

    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

1 2 ›