Third Person For Killers
Is it possible that the devs of DBD will ever make a control for killers that lets them switch between first and third person? Before people start commenting (because I know a majority of people are probably against the idea of killers having the option to switch to third person view) I do think survivors should get some kind of buff to add balance because I know killers with third person would likely make the game more challenging since they have a better view but the reasons I would like to be able to have the option to switch to third person view for killer is because I think it is kind of ridiculous how we buy cosmetics for our killers but can never actually see them on our killer while playing them and I would just like to be able to see the killer I’m playing. Maybe they could make a more challenging mode for players who don’t mind going against killers who have third person and killers would have the freedom to play whatever view they want (first/third person) and also have a regular mode where killers only have first person view (for survivors who don’t want to go against killers with third person view.) I would like to be able to talk about this openly, please no rude comments or saltiness.
Comments
In my opinion, in a horror game all players hould play in first person.
It takes away so much if you can look aroudn corners without exposing yourelf etc. Just my opinion though and ofc it will never happen in DBD
As much as I agree with the sentiment that we should be able to directly experience the cosmetics we buy with our own money as much as possible, messing with the camera is too fundamental to the game's balance to justify the change.
As for adding an alternate mode, I feel that this would do little more than split up the playerbase. I actually brought up the idea of adding alternate modes in another discussion, but I think the differences between it and the base mode would have to be significant enough and interesting enough to justify splitting the queues.
Game doesn't work in first person for survivors, heres a few reasons why.
Killers always complain survivors don't juke enough and just "loop" them, the game becomes impossible for survivors to juke if they're staring into walls during their entire chase, it allows them to chose their path so they can stay alive
The majority of survivor gameplay is spent at a generator or a hook. I'm sure loads of people would be playing this game is they have to stare into a generator for half the game, or stare straight ahead of them while on a while, much excitement
Killers like Myers, Wraith & Pig would be unbeatable using vision to predict their movement is the biggest reason you get away.
Killer abilities would become unavoidable, dodge a hatchet? Good luck. Dodge a blink? Good luck, dodge a chainsaw? Good luck.
The viewmode is there to make the game fair.
I think the First Person for Killers and Third Person for survivors is one of the Best design decisions in the game.
No need to change anything here.
maybe a new mode would be acceptable, but NOT regular/ranked.
Not for all killers but it could be a feature of a future killer.
The legion was a good candidate but I don't think they will ever add a third person killer to the game.
Well the only have an "average" and "huge" size for the killer's right now. Maybe if they will ever do a Killer, which is technical small, they could go third person with them.
Btw Third-Person for Killers gives them the disadvantage in a chase judging when they hit. Their body is most likely blocking their view. That's why I'm quite fine with the current setup. A small Killer on the other hand might not have that issue...
Current first person view is the causation of looping, not bigger hitboxes as people claim. Having third person in itself is a really good power and would come in handy more than half of killer powers in the game.
But you are right, killers like clown, trapper huntress and nurse would be negatively affected.
Third-person for killer would be a major buff and would force the developers to balance around it. Which would, in turn, force everyone to "choose" third-person over first person. A lot of the game's charm would be lost if the killer is able to view the world from a perspective other than their model. No more hiding near the killer but behind a wall. No more sneaking behind the killer. No more basing your movement off of the killer's sight direction.
This would pretty much kill any and all stealth gameplay
I mean, in the post originally you stated about them swapping views, and then you've totally edited your post and it makes mine look out of context but ok.
This would just split the player base into, "survivors that want a better chance" and "no one else". Similar to the requests for killer to have the option to not have any SWF survivors in their matches.
Realistically, how often do you think a survivor would opt into an option that does nothing for them other than make the game harder?
I doubt that. There would be a significant amount of discussion about how 3rd person provides too much of an advantage over first person for the killer. You're dodging the point.
The game in its current state is killer is in first person and survivor is in third-person. I believe that to be the best combination for the best gameplay. Changing either (killer allowed third-person or survivor forced into first-person) ruins much of the stealth aspect of the game.
I completely agree, everyone should've had 1st person perspective, the third person perspective is one of the things that imbalances the game quite alot.
I welcome for you to actually point out where I said that stealth is the only way players can survive. Stealth is just part of the gameplay, a very good part. Allowing people to use killer in 3rd person mode would greatly ruin that gameplay.
There are several differences between this game and Friday the 13th including (but not limited to):
They are different games. Claiming that X game has done it like you suggested doesn't help your argument, especially since you're pointing at a game that's doing much worse than DbD. Why should Dbd be emulating them again?
3rd person view imbalances the game for BOTH sides.
It's not a good thing that the victims has 3rd person view because this allows for so many things that quite frankly they should not be able to, like for instance looking around corners or looking over obstacles WITHOUT having exposing parts of their body.
Idk why pig doesn't get third person when she crouches.
Her crouching nerfs her quite a bit, then it's in 1st person...lol.
It would make sense for that killer in particular. Also for spirit in husk form...but that is a different debate.
Also, it would be fun to rotate the camera or zoom out during moris. Sometimes I wish I could see.more of how I am mutilating them, and 1st person perspective doesn't quite do it for me.
+1. This was a really good design choice and it would be a very poor mistake to mess with it.
I disagree, because it's what allows for certain things to happen which in my opinion is some of the reason why killers aren't that feared, because you can easily see where the killer is and you can easily adjust your movement and strategy in relation to the killer, why? Because you can see the killer WITHOUT having to expose any parts of your characters body. This makes playing stealthy so, so much more easy.
I happen to think it's bad design choice, I think both sides should be first person perspective, and most certainly not 3rd person perspective.
For instance this is what makes it so easy to loop killers, because you can easily see where the killer is in relation to yourself, like for instance if you're trying to loop the killer around obstacles, you can easily see where the killer is going without having to actually turn your character to see. It also makes the the game much less immersive than if it had been first person perspective.
It's also the only reason why this game even exists was because of this choice, imagine how many people would play this game if as a survivor you are.
Again, game would be dead if half the time you're staring at generators as a survivor. One huge complaint I see with killers is "survivors not juking enough". Guess what wont happen with First Person? Any juking at all, infact I can imagine games would be over even faster because the killer has a huge advantage in first person over what a survivor would in first person.
Again, looping is necessary, survivors running in straight lines isn't fun, if you can't easily see the killer there are no mind game, or juking, the games would be unfun and you'd spend most of your time staring into a generator SO. MUCH. FUN.
"immersion" as in first person would be awful for the survivor.
They already said they tested the different views early on but what felt best was what we have now. If they did go with 3rd person (or the ability to change to 3rd person) with killer, most perks and powers as well as map design would probably be a lot different, to balance out the advantage killers would have with the increased view.
Survivor would be absolutely unplayable as first person. I truly wish it were possible to set up an environment where a version of the game has survivors in first person and you were a test subject. I would gladly make a wager that if you could escape even 10% of the time then you would get some kind of prize. Any kind of stealth killer would rip people off generators like it was some kind of joke. Fast vaulting windows that weren't directly in front of you would be difficult. Looping would be impossible. Sneaking around would be comically bad. It would turn all rank 1 survivors into rank 20 survivors in terms of difficulty to play against.
Fortunately, it doesn't really matter what you think if you disagree since there is a 0% chance they would do something this dumb. Maybe they might make this an option for survivors or add it as some sort of alternate game mode. But they will never force this on all survivors as a standard part of the game. The game would be dead in a week if they did. That's no exaggeration either.