What Exactly Made Solo Queue Worse Recently?

Title.

People keep saying that solo queue has been ruined, it's dead, it got the short end of the stick with the big midchapter patch recently, and I just do not see it. I'm asking in good faith here, I believe there's probably some kernel of truth in this take since so many people parrot it, but the only thing I've seen making solo queue any worse than it used to be is people giving up by DCing or suiciding on hook. In terms of actual game balance, the stuff that the patch actually affected, my solo queue experience got better.

Though, one clarification- when I ask what made solo queue worse, it must be something that changed recently, not something that makes solo queue annoying in general (IE, the continuing lack of information, which hasn't changed either way despite still needing to be addressed). This is directed specifically at the people who say the midchapter made solo queue worse.

Let's try and keep this civil too, please!

Comments

  • To start it was worse; less because of the killer buffs and more due to an increase in quitters.

    But as time went on I've found myself with much more competent team mates, and even when not I find myself mostly with people who don't give up, which I respect way more.

    I sometimes wonder (with no evidence whatsoever to back it up) whether matchmaking takes dc'ers into account and matches those who quit with other quitters, because I see them way, way less these days.

    As for difficulty, as survivor it is harder, but the matches are more my style: a challenge and rewarding.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I would say that the overall Killer chase power increase AND the meta shift have caused Solo Q to go down the drain even more.

    It seems to me that most of the meta perks, currently, function at their best when up against Solo Q teammates. Overcharge is extremely difficult when you don't know about it. Eruption has basically zero counterplay in Solo Q. PR, Call of Brine, ect ect all thrive on lack of communication.

    Likewise, the overall Killer buffs have buffed Killers chase potential. Survivors gain less distance through both a reduction in speed after being hit AND from the Killer gaining two stacks of STBFL basekit. This, coupled with faster pallet breaking speeds and the removal of DH for distance and DS, has massively nerfed Survivors chase potential.

    Finally, it's now very easy and very rewarding to either camp the first person you down or to just tunnel them out of the game. 5 seconds of basekit BT is meaningless and most Killers will hit you straight off of hook anyways. In a lot of spots, you don't get enough distance to make it to a good tile. DS got omega-nerfed and it's essentially useless against most Killers. OTR is good, assuming the Killer doesn't hit you right after you get unhooked. The counter to hard tunneling and facecamping is to either coordinate a save/bodyblock or to slam gens. Neither of these are remotely feasible in Solo Q.

    With all of these things combined, everyone except for 4-mans got hit very hard in the last patch.

    Yup 3 man is also now pretty bad as the ramdom usually dc:s or goes down beey quickly. Also people I play with got carried with dh/ds bit too much. I used to play before 4 man too but my two friends quitted after dh nerf one even was killer main but he liked the challenge which dh caused and loved to use the perk personally.

  • Disconnection syndrome and generaphobia(fear of gens.)

  • I have been, since before the patch hit.

    I made it clear that my experience doesn't match the norm. If I hadn't been playing solo queue, I wouldn't have an experience to contrast, would I?

  • Did OP get their answer? I can relate to much of what’s been said in this thread.

  • @JoByDaylight said:

    Did OP get their answer? I can relate to much of what’s been said in this thread.

    I've got some interesting ones.

    None that changed my mind, but it certainly helps me understand where other people are coming from.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146301#Comment_3146301

    Yup 3 man is also now pretty bad as the ramdom usually dc:s or goes down beey quickly. Also people I play with got carried with dh/ds bit too much. I used to play before 4 man too but my two friends quitted after dh nerf one even was killer main but he liked the challenge which dh caused and loved to use the perk personally.

    Yes, that is why I said everyone except for 4-mans.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146012#Comment_3146012

    Forgot to quote you above, sorry. Here are my achievements in Dbd below. It's kind of hard to not play solo queue and have nearly all of the survivor achievements. From you quoting old meta I'm pretty sure your problems are stemming from an unwillingness to adapt to change. That would be frustrating but you shouldn't try to take it out on people who have adapted and like the patch. Perhaps you should just accept that while some people are struggling others aren't? Game experiences are different for different people and, as with @jesterkind , my experiences are quite a bit different from the doomsayers.

    I'll put on the screenshots again in case you don't want to look in the previous posts for them. If I supposedly don't play survivor then please explain how I was able to get so many of the them including the hardest ones?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/UU5VC1KVG3WC/screenshot-20220822-123813-adblock-browser.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OJHQPI2U1CS7/screenshot-20220822-123826-adblock-browser.jpg

    Those are the only survivor achievements I have left but those are easy to get with specific builds that, fortunately, are quite good after 6.1. In the last two weeks, I've decided to finish off my achievements so the survivor ones should be done shortly. The Huntress one hopefully before I hit retirement age.

    Im surpriced you don't have those survivors achiement I got them before patch and you have to bit throw games to get them but they were not hard to get. I did the unhooking with slippery meat and luck offerings. Huntress one you have to go for snipes or farm with survivors and hope they help you get it.

  • In my opinion, there are several things at work here.

    First of, chases are shorter, due to survivor nerfs and killer buffs (you mentioned it, but isnt bloodlust 1 faster now, too? Not sure about that)

    The second thing is the longer gen times and the stronger regression. First of, due to shorter chases, killer can interrupt you more on gens, making the regression stronger, and the extra 10 seconds give additional time. Also, regression stacking. Since solos cant easily communicate, being chased of a gen that starts regressing might mean all time invested in it might be lost. I had a game where that happend, and a 95% gen regressed down to 0%. In swf, you can easily communicate that and someone goes to safe the gen.

    Before the patch, regression wasnt that strong, and the time to interrupt was shorter.

    Thus leads to the experience, that you can say very early on if the game can be won or not (games with 4 hooks, maybe one already tunneled out, and no gen finished? yeah, that game is usually lost. Even if you pop 3 gens afterwards, if the next one is downed and hooked, one survivor has to go for the rescue and the other might already be in a chase. With shorter chases and longer gen times, you know you have lost then.

    And thus leads to people dcing hand hook suiciding.

    I mean, you see that as a killer as well, by the time the first gen is done i usually know if i am going to win or not. I think the games got way more binary in that way.

    Tunneling and camping was a thing before, but again, shorter chases/longer gen times make it even more viable.

    All in all, the changes brought killers closer to swf (who still have the upper hand, because communication can compensate a lot), but the gap between solos and killers widened, and while a team of good solo survivors surly can handle it, the matchmaking in this game prevents that scenario very effectivly.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146443#Comment_3146443

    I've got some interesting ones.

    None that changed my mind, but it certainly helps me understand where other people are coming from.

    The sweatiest tryhard killers that would almost never lose to solo Q are stomping even harder now. You basically never lost to solo Q as a killer if you were willing to camp/tunnel and run busted builds. Now it's even more so

    Going up against a decent Nurse in 6.1.0+ is just such a joke, it's like instawin if they can find their keyboard. Doesn't help that they all run range addons too. It kills any motivation I have to play survivor, knowing that more often than not I am going to load into these unwinnable games and get killed in a manner that's about as interactive as watching a cutscene

    I hated Nurse back when she was broken OP pre rework and I still hate her now. Hoping BHVR guts her again like she deserves so I can enjoy some survivor again

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146012#Comment_3146012

    Forgot to quote you above, sorry. Here are my achievements in Dbd below. It's kind of hard to not play solo queue and have nearly all of the survivor achievements. From you quoting old meta I'm pretty sure your problems are stemming from an unwillingness to adapt to change. That would be frustrating but you shouldn't try to take it out on people who have adapted and like the patch. Perhaps you should just accept that while some people are struggling others aren't? Game experiences are different for different people and, as with @jesterkind , my experiences are quite a bit different from the doomsayers.

    I'll put on the screenshots again in case you don't want to look in the previous posts for them. If I supposedly don't play survivor then please explain how I was able to get so many of the them including the hardest ones?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/UU5VC1KVG3WC/screenshot-20220822-123813-adblock-browser.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OJHQPI2U1CS7/screenshot-20220822-123826-adblock-browser.jpg

    Those are the only survivor achievements I have left but those are easy to get with specific builds that, fortunately, are quite good after 6.1. In the last two weeks, I've decided to finish off my achievements so the survivor ones should be done shortly. The Huntress one hopefully before I hit retirement age.

    The fact that you have played a decent amount of survivor doesn’t make me trust your opinion when you’re declaring things that are clearly untrue. I also have no idea of your play style or how much you have played post-patch. But the best I could say is that you’re an outlier. It’s fairly unbelievable that any survivor is having a BETTER experience post update.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146231#Comment_3146231

    Im surpriced you don't have those survivors achiement I got them before patch and you have to bit throw games to get them but they were not hard to get. I did the unhooking with slippery meat and luck offerings. Huntress one you have to go for snipes or farm with survivors and hope they help you get it.

    I just got Bless You a few moments ago off of a NOED (which is my favorite hex to boon) fortunately. The other two seem like fun but I should use a specific build. A lot of the self escapes are kobes just from normal gameplay when nobody was coming to rescue me and some of the combo you mentioned above. In order to finish it off I plan to use OTR, Deliverance, SB and Deja Vu. Deja Vu is mainly just to stop my teammates from 3 genning us.

    For Hiding Seeker, I'm going to run OTR, Lucky Break, Overcome and Quick and Quiet. That's a fun build as well. I get hit, I break LoS, I enter a locker with Quick and Quiet.

    Huntress has been a pain so far. Which maps and perks worked best for you? I go straight aura reading perks and nothing else for that achievement but there are a lot of obstacles on the maps so that messes up a lot of throws.

  • They want more survivors to die and they are - what's the problem?

    There is no problem especially since survivor queues are instant if you run up against the over 50% of games that are just a drudge and not very fun either due to map, killer, perks or whatever - it's an easy matter to just throw it and be in another one with a fresh start before the blood dries.

  • @Audiophile said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146231#Comment_3146231

    The fact that you have played a decent amount of survivor doesn’t make me trust your opinion when you’re declaring things that are clearly untrue. I also have no idea of your play style or how much you have played post-patch. But the best I could say is that you’re an outlier. It’s fairly unbelievable that any survivor is having a BETTER experience post update.

    Regardless of whether you find it believable or not, I've obviously played a lot of survivor. I'm also having a lot more fun. I play more survivor now than before 6.1 because I find survivor post 6.1 more fun.

    That could be for a variety of reasons or combination thereof. It could be (a) I shunned DH so never grew reliant on it (b) I play both sides (60/40 survivor/killer post patch; that was reversed pre 6.1) so I understand how Killer works, was affected, and how to counter it (c) I'm an outlier (d) I'm not an outlier but rather the people complaining on the forums haven't adapted yet or (e) my MMR and region gives me a better experience than yours.

    I have no doubt (a) and (b) play a part. Whether (c), (d) or (e) is true is unknown since BHVR hasn't released any data since January and will remain unknown until that data is released.

    Regardless, attempting to claim that people who play survivor haven't had good experiences, as people in this thread have attested they have had good experiences, and don't actually play survivor when this is demonstrably false just weakens any point you're trying to make.

    I didn't say everyone was having more fun; I said I was having more fun and some posters here attempted to claim that means I haven't played and don't play survivor when that's obviously false. The only way to get all the achievements I have is to play 100s of games and some of my achievements are post patch.

    Speak to your own experiences; not others. What I've stated is very much true for me.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3146487#Comment_3146487

    I just got Bless You a few moments ago off of a NOED (which is my favorite hex to boon) fortunately. The other two seem like fun but I should use a specific build. A lot of the self escapes are kobes just from normal gameplay when nobody was coming to rescue me and some of the combo you mentioned above. In order to finish it off I plan to use OTR, Deliverance, SB and Deja Vu. Deja Vu is mainly just to stop my teammates from 3 genning us.

    For Hiding Seeker, I'm going to run OTR, Lucky Break, Overcome and Quick and Quiet. That's a fun build as well. I get hit, I break LoS, I enter a locker with Quick and Quiet.

    Huntress has been a pain so far. Which maps and perks worked best for you? I go straight aura reading perks and nothing else for that achievement but there are a lot of obstacles on the maps so that messes up a lot of throws.

    I used usually only quick and quiet for it but occasionally put deception on my build too. But I always went to take chase when killers carried someone and then went to locker probably easiest way to get it.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3145616#Comment_3145616

    True before I have to calculate my hooks and dh/ds but now I can brainlessly go after unhooked usually they don't even have otr. If I want to play nice then I leave unhooked alone. I still avoid outright tunneling one out but it's so easy now so you have to really avoid it.

    Yep the deterrents are gone, so anyone is free reign to tunnel.

1 2 ›