How to Reduce Suiciding on Hook
Give survivors a bribe to hang around. I think this could especially help SoloQs.
I am envisioning something along these lines:
In first stage survivors should get 25 bloodpoints per second in the survival category just to hang there. Hanging in there and not trying to kobe is the best thing a survivor can do for their team most of the time. If they hang the full minute, that'd be an easy 1,500 points.
Struggling on the hook should be 400 points per skill check. (2,400 for 6 skill checks) Or start at 250 and increase by 50 for each successive skill check. (2,250 for 6 skill checks)
In total this could lead to survivors earning up to 3,900 points for hanging on the hook for the full 2 minutes vs the paltry <900 (15BP/s in struggle phase only) points we currently get.
I know this certainly would not eliminate suiciding on hook, but it would reduce it.
I know I would hang around for that 3,900 bloodpoints. It would be a worthwhile incentive for me.
I made a poll about this as well.
What do you guys, gals and non-binary pals think?
Comments
It'd definitely help for camping scenarios, and survivors definitely need more BP avenues in general, but I feel like it won't do much to stop the suiciding on hook that comes from people being salty and just wanting out of that game as quickly as possible?
Still, it'd be a reduction, so I'm all for it.
I think a BP incentive would be good. Double it when the killer is camping as "distraction" points and it will lessen the amount of killers camping just because they're trying to ruin the survivors time and keep them from earning BP.
Survivors DC on death hook after a long match where they should of accumulated a good amount of points.
Clearly some people are more petty than greedy.
I've never understood this. You played almost the whole game and got hooked on death hook then dc and lose everything you earned even know you were about to exit the game in 5 more seconds. It's the same for killers who dc after gen 5 just pop the gate open and start egc.
That would help in some situations
But in others it's the fact that they don't want to play against a certain Killer... or a certain playstyle
I would suggest adding in Survival points into everything done... but cap it at 4,000 and then have escapes fill in the other 4,000 (or whatever the cap in total BP per category... cause doing Gens means Survival on top of Cleansing Totems, getting chased (to an extent), Healing yourself and teammates
A better incentive not suicide on hook would be making the match itself fun.
I do agree that they should fix bloodpoint and emblem gains to count for when you are getting camped/tunneled, but the better solution is to remove it entirely.
They need a suicide bot option. Basically instead of killing yourself on hook, you leave the game and your body gets replaced with a bot that just sits on hook. Your teammates are notified of this. So at least there is some value if the killer is camping the body etc and you don't just insta lose.
Just fix SBMM. Make it count the Survivors as a team, not as individuals. Would fix most problems people have with SoloQ
I used to think this was why I had bad teammates, some people just play for themselves etc. But then I got a bad ttv on my team so I decided to watch a vod and see how they did. They were terrible and they rarely escaped. They almost never dropped a single pallet or vaulted a single window so their chases were usually about 30 seconds or even less (aka how long it would take to just run in a straight line and get caught by an m1 killer). Outside of chases they barely did much on gens too. Sometimes you just get awful teammtes.
And before you say "oh you must be at low mmr" I get tons of really good killers/survivors (nurses with thousands of hours that I can juice) and am definitely a much better than average player (although not top top tier). So the matchmaking is just random and I bet that's why they don't even show mmr. They don't show mmr because you would see how random the matchmaking is.
How to reduce hook suicide (quick guide)
I agree! Good suggestion!
I hope that they really consider this idea.
End-loading the survival category with 7k for escaping really discourages players from sticking around in losing games and encourages them to give up and go next where they might have a better match, especially SoloQs.
One of the rare instances I agree with you. I had a similar concept as well: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/344947/reworking-the-ability-and-incentive-to-suicide-on-hook
While some people will DC or whatever no matter what, I genuinely think giving a large amount of points to stay on the hook would be a good enough incentive for most people.
I think it's a nice idea. The sister game Deathgarden had a similar solution, because due to the asymmetry, the straightforwardness and the skills of the players, the course of the game and the end were clear relative quickly. This creates boredom. There are people who don't notice this and others are bothered by it.
Let them win.
So annoying. They help the killer out (takes longer to carry them to a hook and burns a hook), and deal with a DC penalty. Sounds really childish. Oh well. I guess that is why I main killer.