Hex: Ruin nerfed indirectly?

Bit of a click baity title, but I need to know. I heard that with the new patch and it's graphics update, skill checks will now be 60 fps. And this might make it easier to hit great skill checks.

I'm just curious if anyone who played the ptb for a while has noticed any big difference in the effectiveness of Hex: Ruin, or if it is indeed easier to hit great skill checks now. Since it's the only viable perk for killers to slow down the game, it would be a shame if it would become less effective, especially since it's always a risk to use Hex: Ruin. Although I do like the idea of skill checks becoming smoother, no doubt.

Comments

  • Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.
  • @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    running ruin is a risk because its like using devour hope, gets destroyed in seconds of it being discovered

  • @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    Yeah I know that. That's what I meant with risk. That wasn't my point. I wanted to know if it was easier to hit great skill checks with the new graphics update cause that would also effect Ruin and make it a bit less effective, which would be a shame since it's a risk using it because it is a Hex Perk. Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced a difference.

  • @alivebydeadight said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    running ruin is a risk because its like using devour hope, gets destroyed in seconds of it being discovered

    Although Ruin at least let's you gain some momentum at the beginning. Devour Hope is just a totally wasted perk slot if it gets destroyed early enough.

  • @ad19970 said:

    @alivebydeadight said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    running ruin is a risk because its like using devour hope, gets destroyed in seconds of it being discovered

    Although Ruin at least let's you gain some momentum at the beginning. Devour Hope is just a totally wasted perk slot if it gets destroyed early enough.

    well what I mean is the perk ruin is somewhat easy to hit the great skill check if you have some add-ons in toolbox like for example, the brand new part

  • @alivebydeadight said:

    @ad19970 said:

    @alivebydeadight said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    running ruin is a risk because its like using devour hope, gets destroyed in seconds of it being discovered

    Although Ruin at least let's you gain some momentum at the beginning. Devour Hope is just a totally wasted perk slot if it gets destroyed early enough.

    well what I mean is the perk ruin is somewhat easy to hit the great skill check if you have some add-ons in toolbox like for example, the brand new part

    Oh well that's true. Although a Brand New Part is luckily just a one time use. But yeah. Still it's overall one of the best killer perks in my opinion never the less. And I'm just curious if great skill checks can be hit normally now easier with the new graphics update

  • @ad19970 said:
    Bit of a click baity title, but I need to know. I heard that with the new patch and it's graphics update, skill checks will now be 60 fps. And this might make it easier to hit great skill checks.

    I'm just curious if anyone who played the ptb for a while has noticed any big difference in the effectiveness of Hex: Ruin, or if it is indeed easier to hit great skill checks now. Since it's the only viable perk for killers to slow down the game, it would be a shame if it would become less effective, especially since it's always a risk to use Hex: Ruin. Although I do like the idea of skill checks becoming smoother, no doubt.

    Against competent survivors, ruin has alwasy been laughable. What makes ruin so bad is the fact that its a hex perk.

    But yeah, basically it was a nerf if that is really true

  • It's not a nerf, it's a QoL change. Finally the needle doesn't skip frames and u can actually hit the skillcheck if u have the "skills" for that instead of random occasions 
  • I dont think of it as a nerf. I see it more like how they actually intended Ruin to be upon release.
    The needle lagging a bit can happen sometimes, but most of the time it doesnt, so little will change.
  • @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    It's not a nerf, it's a QoL change. Finally the needle doesn't skip frames and u can actually hit the skillcheck if u have the "skills" for that instead of random occasions 

    Yeah I get that. It just indirectly could make Hex: Ruin less effective if people can now hit great skill checks more often. My point is that right it's a great perk to slow down the game, but if people good at hitting great skill checks will hit great skill checks more often, than that means games will in future be shorter again and Hex: Ruin will not counter gen rush as effectively anymore, especially since gen rush is more of thing that happens at high ranks where survivors are better at the game. So Hex: Ruin might still be really good at low ranks, but lose it's effectivity it has now at higher ranks. Which is a shame. Anything that helps against gen rush so I can play as fair as possible with killer, without puprosefully losing of course, would be welcome.

  • This is not a nerf.

  • @PigNRun said:
    I dont think of it as a nerf. I see it more like how they actually intended Ruin to be upon release.
    The needle lagging a bit can happen sometimes, but most of the time it doesnt, so little will change.

    Yeah totally. I get that. I'm just curious if I should expect shorter games even with Ruin now that great skill checks are easier to hit and will probably be hit more often by people who are really good at hitting great skill checks. You know, Hex: Ruin is the only viable perk to counter gen rush because Thanatophobia is awful. If that perk gets less useful at higher ranks, than I need to stop using it, which would be a shame though cause it allows me to play fairer as killer.

  • @Orion said:
    This is not a nerf.

    Read my other comments if you want to understand what I am getting at. I do understand that, it's more of a indirect nerf because it could lead to Hex: Ruin being less effective at high ranks.

  • @ad19970 said:

    @Orion said:
    This is not a nerf.

    Read my other comments if you want to understand what I am getting at. I do understand that, it's more of a indirect nerf because it could lead to Hex: Ruin being less effective at high ranks.

    I know what you're saying, and I stand by my position. This is no different from fixing an exploit. When balancing the game, you shouldn't take into account conditions like exploits and bad framerates.

  • It’s fixing a graphical error. I’d be cautious of using the term nerf. Yes this will make hitting the skill check easier, but it shouldn’t skip frames and jump a quarter inch randomly.

    The spinning marker should be reliable unless they decide to make a killer perk that effects the speed on purpose. Maybe slowing it down and then speeding it up randomly.

  • @Orion said:

    @ad19970 said:

    @Orion said:
    This is not a nerf.

    Read my other comments if you want to understand what I am getting at. I do understand that, it's more of a indirect nerf because it could lead to Hex: Ruin being less effective at high ranks.

    I know what you're saying, and I stand by my position. This is no different from fixing an exploit. When balancing the game, you shouldn't take into account conditions like exploits and bad framerates.

    Definitely. Like I said in my last sentence, I'm actually happy about this change. Honestly I just wanted to know if I need to stop using Hex: Ruin at high ranks because it's easier to hit them. If anything, they would have to buff Hex: Ruin in a different way, I don't want skill checks to not be improved, don't get me wrong.
    Just without Hex: Ruin I always feel like I am forced to play less fair at high ranks which would be a shame in my opinion. On the other hand they are probably just better off nerfing gen rush slightly in a different way.

  • @xmenfanatic said:
    It’s fixing a graphical error. I’d be cautious of using the term nerf. Yes this will make hitting the skill check easier, but it shouldn’t skip frames and jump a quarter inch randomly.

    The spinning marker should be reliable unless they decide to make a killer perk that effects the speed on purpose. Maybe slowing it down and then speeding it up randomly.

    Yeah I get that. But what do you mean cautious? I mean indirectly you could call it a nerf because it will make that perk a bit less useful at higher ranks. I understand why it isn't technically a nerf though.

  • ad19970 said:

    @alivebydeadight said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Running ruin is a risk because it's a hex, not because survivors can hit the great skillcheck, so it's fine.

    running ruin is a risk because its like using devour hope, gets destroyed in seconds of it being discovered

    Although Ruin at least let's you gain some momentum at the beginning. Devour Hope is just a totally wasted perk slot if it gets destroyed early enough.

    That's u you don't run it with ruin maby run it with haunted grounds

  • I mean if by this standard Ruin is getting nerfed then all console killers are getting massive buffs. I imagine we'll see a lot more Nurse and Huntresses soon.
  • @brokedownpalace said:
    I mean if by this standard Ruin is getting nerfed then all console killers are getting massive buffs. I imagine we'll see a lot more Nurse and Huntresses soon.

    True. Curious to see how it will be on ps4 though, I definitely know that right now it's much harder to hit a great skill check on ps4 than on pc.