Spine Chill update

Due to the devs wanting the perk to still be usable for HOH and Deaf people, it will now work only (light up) when you're in the killer's terror radius.

Source from today's stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/UgliestToughTruffleMikeHogu-QpojWJfPh0AARUb5


Update: Perk will still only work when the killer is in line of sight...

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • So spine chill still wont work when a killer is in stealth?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029846#Comment_3029846

    Y'all just be saying anything atp because that's clearly not what I said.

    Work on your reading comprehension.

    Well, what accesibility option do you propose giving to combat this, then?

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029817#Comment_3029817

    No it won't light up if the killer has line of sight of you. Your action bar will have the the action speed bonus if the killer is looking directly at you - in Line of Sight.

    Right, I understand now - thank you!

  • @tendyhands said:

    So spine chill still wont work when a killer is in stealth?

    Only if the killer has direct line of sight...when the killer is in full stealth, there's no terror radius so that part of the perk will not be active.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029767#Comment_3029767

    From my understanding the terror radius part is not connected to the LOS part...which is where it makes the perk accessible for hard of hearing players.

    Assuming cool down that's being added to Spine Chill also won't be connected to the Terror Radius indicator?

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029783#Comment_3029783

    Assuming cool down that's being added to Spine Chill also won't be connected to the Terror Radius indicator?

    There's no cooldown being added to the perk?

    If you're referring to the 0.5s linger, that will remain.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029856#Comment_3029856

    Only if the killer has direct line of sight...when the killer is in full stealth, there's no terror radius so that part of the perk will not be active.

    So even if a killer is undetectable, per example wraith is invisible, if he is in direct line of sight spine chill will light up?

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029864#Comment_3029864

    So even if a killer is undetectable, per example wraith is invisible, if he is in direct line of sight spine chill will light up?

    The lighting up part of the perk is purely about terror radius, a cloaked Wraith does not have a terror radius.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029885#Comment_3029885

    The lighting up part of the perk is purely about terror radius, a cloaked Wraith does not have a terror radius.

    So let me get this straight.

    Spine Chill will have a visual indicator for the terror radius intensity, but the action speed bonuses will only apply if the killer has direct LOS (plus the 0.5 second linger)? And does the LOS stuff still apply if there is no terror radius?

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029889#Comment_3029889

    So let me get this straight.

    Spine Chill will have a visual indicator for the terror radius intensity, but the action speed bonuses will only apply if the killer has direct LOS (plus the 0.5 second linger)? And does the LOS stuff still apply if there is no terror radius?

    The LOS part applies whether there is a terror radius or not - that's not changed from the Dev Update.

    The perk only shows a visual notification when in terror radius - gaining intensity the closer the TR (for example).

    I think people are getting confused because the current version of Spine Chill the perk lights up when active.

  • if we should balance around handicapped people then spirit should able to see survivors for the legally blind killers lol, flashlight macro should be fixed for the epilepsy.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029898#Comment_3029898

    The LOS part applies whether there is a terror radius or not - that's not changed from the Dev Update.

    The perk only shows a visual notification when in terror radius - gaining intensity the closer the TR (for example).

    I think people are getting confused because the current version of Spine Chill the perk lights up when active.

    Do you the perk is fine against killer that need los to stalk? I know ghostface stalk range is longer than spine chill range but Myers have to be closer to stalk. Or do you think this interaction is fine? Honestly I would love to see stalk range to be buff so I can stalk out of spine chill range

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029858#Comment_3029858

    There's so many options already employed by other games that could work:

    • Visible terror radius: A toggle-able setting that enables a heartbeat indicator on your survivor that glows brighter and beats faster the closer the killer is to you. This is how DbD mobile displays the terror radius and it works really well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NRO3ZMB99T2J/image.png

    • Subtitles: An option to enable subtitles that describe sounds that can be heard and gives a general direction of where they're coming from (right, left, forward etc.) Minecraft has these and they work great!

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/I391BB86R7WR/image.png

    • Visual skill-check indicator: An option that displays a visual indicator before a skillcheck appears as opposed to just an audio notification.

    etc.

    There's lots of different ways that DbD could be made more accessible for disabled players. These options have existed for years and it's not like we're asking for anything novel or groundbreaking.

    I'm talking specifically about the issue you brought up with Undetectable Killers.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029945#Comment_3029945

    And I already addressed that:

    "Subtitles: An option to enable subtitles that describe sounds that can be heard and gives a general direction of where they're coming from (right, left, forward etc.) Minecraft has these and they work great!"

    So you think players should be given a visual prompt when a stealthing Killer is closing in?

  • So if you don't have undetectable you're screwed either way, wether you crab walk or not, the perk will indicate that survivor is inside the TR. And you're safe with Undetectable? That's nice but stealth killers killers are still physically visible, they still need to around and waste time going around and avoiding LoS's anyway, so the only change is people won't run away as early cause spinechill won't procc because of Undetectable.

  • As long as stealth is viable the devs can make survivors fart rainbows for all I care.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029945#Comment_3029945

    And I already addressed that:

    "Subtitles: An option to enable subtitles that describe sounds that can be heard and gives a general direction of where they're coming from (right, left, forward etc.) Minecraft has these and they work great!"

    I assume you are joking, but minecraft is not an asymmetrical pvp game. Adding subtitles for audio cues would literally butcher every single stealth killer as well as be an overall nerf to every killer on the roster. "Ghost-face audio cue" "Terror Radius intensifying" "Terror Radius Decreasing" are HUGE in terms of providing survivors early warnings as well as info on if it is safe to stay on the gen. Accessibility is something to strive for, but not if it completely butchers balance. Should there be an option to turn on auras for survivors for the entire game for killers who can't see well?


    Edit: Subtitles would also be a big nerf for survivors. What's that you thought you hid from the killer and he didn't hear you? Good thing "Footsteps" appeared at the bottom of my screen so I know someone is very close to me.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029885#Comment_3029885

    The lighting up part of the perk is purely about terror radius, a cloaked Wraith does not have a terror radius.

    Question: Does this mean the only way to know if the Killer has LOS is through the increased action speed? If so does that mean there is no indicator for a Survivor not currently engaged in an action?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029967#Comment_3029967

    Once again, that isn't what I said at all.

    What I actually said was subtitles that describe the sounds occuring around the player. E.g.:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/B98447VNPMU1/image.png

    This provides no information that isn't already afforded to hearing players.

    "Survivor breathing" blatantly contradicts that. "Killer breathing" would basically amount to having a very clear and obvious sign for when a Stealth Killer is in range.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030012#Comment_3030012

    ????

    I'm gonna assume you're trolling atp because you can clearly hear the breathing of survivors....

    Read my edit.

  • Yeah that would be laughable, killing the game for the majority

  • @Marigoria said:

    Due to the devs wanting the perk to still be usable for HOH and Deaf people, it will now work only (light up) when you're in the killer's terror radius.

    Source from today's stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/UgliestToughTruffleMikeHogu-QpojWJfPh0AARUb5

    Uh... not to sound rude or anything but... what's HOH?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030020#Comment_3030020

    Just read it and you have to be joking right?

    How is reading "breathing noises" or smth any different from me hearing them myself.

    Both would tell me a stealth killer is near????????

    Because you have to listen closely to hear a stealth Killer close in and might not always be able to. Adding such a prompt completely DEMOLISHES the element of surprise.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030036#Comment_3030036

    NO YOU DONT G[DNSOGPEISHOGSOGSBG

    Myers breathing is loud AF, you can hear it from miles away.

    What about not-Myers?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030039#Comment_3030039

    Every time I make a point you change the goal-post.

    The same principle would apply for other killers. The subtitles would only describe what can be heard, in the appropriate ranges that they can be heard.

    No information is being shared that hearing players don't have.

    I changed no goal posts. I am talking about Stealth Killers in general (and more broadly, Undetectable as a whole). Your idea destroys stealth completely.

  • Stake Out already does this, starts filling up when you enter the killer's terror radius.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030046#Comment_3030046

    Then what even is your point?

    How would this demolish anything?

    Stealth in this game entirely relies on having as little of a tell to give your presence away as possible. Having the game actively alert you to sounds you're making is the exact opposite of that.

  • @Krazzik said:

    Stake Out already does this, starts filling up when you enter the killer's terror radius.

    The problem with that is that once you have all the stacks it stops working.

  • Idk about the subtitles.

    Though, stealth killers do make a bit of noise, it's usually really subtle and drowned out by generators

    Rather than having subtitles that can scream "THE KILLER IS RIGHT HERE", why not equalize the field by outright removing those noises.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030054#Comment_3030054

    This is the most ridiculous take I've ever heard against accessibility.

    "We can't possibily provide subtitles for deaf players because it would destroy stealth killers by providing information that I and other hearing players already have."

    Sounds that are otherwise not that loud and require careful hearing are now blatantly thrown in your face. Sure, Myers sounds like a vacuum cleaner when breathing, but not every stealth Killer perpetually makes loud noises.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030069#Comment_3030069

    Y'all... I don't even know what to say.

    If there isn't any audible indication that a stealth killer is near then no subtitles would appear. As I've said, the subtitles would only describe what can ACTUALLY be heard. So ofc it's not gonna say "Ghostface walking around a hall over from you" or something ridiculous because there's no way that could realistically be heard.

    Footstep, breathing. Things that are not necessarily loud. Those things become the equivalent of gen explosions with a written indication of them. They don't have to give away your exact position; simply knowing that they're in the area is very much the equivalent of not being Undetectable at all.

  • @Wondertainment said:

    I'm going to be honest to the point of blunt. This game relies so much on sound to be effective that I can't imagine we have a huge number of the hearing-impaired playing it. If they are playing it, they have developed preternatural skills way beyond what Spine Chill imparts. I can't help but think that MOST of the people invoking the hearing-impaired to try and save the Perk's current format are doing so for selfish reasons and could care less about the wedge they are trying to use. I find that contemptible.

    Is this a valid issue? Sure. Why don't we leave it the people with the disability and the DEV to figure out. It is unseemly for the rest of us to be chiming in on it for ulterior motives. It is clear the DEV are already revisiting the Perk and will adjust. Why don't we wait and see how that goes? They have always proven in the past to be particularly attuned and interested in that kind of game viability. It is just kind of annoying to me to hear people weighing in whose real reason is they want to be jamming out to some tunes rather than listening to the game.

    You shouldn't make so many baseless assumptions.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030079#Comment_3030079

    Turn up your volume then or play with headphones. Footsteps and breathing are absolutely audible in this game.

    Sorry but this argument just comes across as: "I don't think deaf or HoH players deserve access to the same information that I have because I sometimes miss audio cues even though they are very much there."

    I already play with those things, so clearly that ain't it. If those things were as easily and universally perceivable as you allege, stealth would be completely meaningless.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030098#Comment_3030098

    I honestly don't know what game you're playing if you think stealth is particularly viable as is.

    Not particularly viable =/= completely nonexistent. Point is that stealth should not be completely deleted from the game.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030108#Comment_3030108

    and it won't be.

    accessibility options like the ones I've suggested literally change nothing.

    every time accessibility options are added to literally anything people complain, and a lot of times it's just a front to ableism.

    Having words that actively highlight when a stealth Killer is nearby actively does destroy Stealth.

  • @Wondertainment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030087#Comment_3030087

    Oh, I care. My gal is hearing-impaired. She plays. I just suspect that many people chiming in don't care about her or those like her. Call it a hunch. To me, reading through the many posts about this already, it seems clear that this is being used to try and leverage the Perk and get one's way and had little do to with genuine concern.

    You seem to care more about people using it as an excuse than HoH/Deaf people getting a viable way to keep on playing the game.

    As someone who is HoH I don't care if people join me with secondary intentions or not as long as we get the accessibility we need to be able to enjoy the game like everyone else.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030119#Comment_3030119

    If that's what you've taken away from my suggestion then you haven't listened or understood what I'm saying one bit.

    Subtitles only describe what can actually be HEARD. NO INFORMATION that you can't HEAR is given from them.

    Just let disabled people live damn

    And I am telling you that not all things that can potentially give away their presence are easily heard or able to properly give away their presence, but the suggestion you propose will indeed give away their presence 100% of the time.

  • You shouldnt need a perk slot to help deaf people play the game. Their should be a feature that visually shows if youre in the killers terror radius. Dbd mobile already did this. Maybe the same thing can be applied but just not as corny as a beating heart inside the player lol

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030127#Comment_3030127

    omg if you cannot hear it then it won't appear on a subtitle.

    That included footsteps or breathing that is barely audible. If a hearing person could realistically not hear it, then a subtitle wouldn't give it away.

    I honestly HAVE to believe you're intentionally missing the point or just hate accessibility.

    You actively used nearby footsteps and breathing as examples of things that would be visually relayed.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030146#Comment_3030146

    "nearby" being the key word.

    Footsteps or breathing within a couple of metres of you IS audible (provided it's not masked by a louder sound).

    Atp you're just muddying the water.

    You are actively giving an example of how those noises might not be audible, which is something that would be ruined by a visual indicator.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3029643#Comment_3029643

    That's the only thing they should have done with it, make it not work with undetectable since HoH/Deaf people wont have a disadvantage there since there's no sound for anyone.

    I do hope they remove the cooldown though.

    If it doesn't trigger against undetectable it has no right to have a cooldown really, I fully agree with this change, it no longer makes stealth killers (meme killers really) more useless but it helps people with accesibility issues, removing the cooldown is the right way to go.

  • @Mandy said:

    I want to clear something up with regards to Spine Chill.

    The perk is going to work exactly as we stated in the Dev Update, with the line of sight requirements...however we are adding a visual indicator for the strength of the terror radius. This is down to the amount of accessibility comments that we have received. This is also not a permanent solution - we are working on accessibility improvements and when something has been implemented, that part of Spine Chill will be removed.

    Sorry for the confusion caused around this. And we do agree, it's not ideal for players to have to run a perk in order to play the game.

    I respect the decision and reasoning for this but does accessibility affect the decision making of balancing other perks? I feel it's great that you have that in mind but does it overall dictate some decision making?

    Not trying to be rude either it's just a small concern I have. Either way the decision alone and transparency on it is greatly appreciated.

  • Iron Will and scratch mark/blood removing perks hurt killer players that are HoH or have poor eyesight

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030152#Comment_3030152

    NO IT OWRUFA[FBOSHGTY8SJIOWT90SHGHSUGOSGHSHGS9HGSHFOHAHF omg

    pls

    pls.

    just listen.

    If a noise cannot actually be heard, then it wouldn't be indicated by a subtitle.

    think critically about that for a minute...

    that means if a quiet sound is being masked by a loud one (i.e. generator repairs) it's not going to show up on the subtitles???????????

    you're arguing against something that I've addressed like four times now. pls

    The reality is that being able to hear something is not as black and white as you make it out to be. What some people may be able to easily perceive audio-wise might not be as much so for others. It's not like the game is gonna go "Hm...yeah, I guess you probably ain't gonna hear those footsteps; better not say anything." What you are proposing makes it so there is a zero percent chance that a noise that can potentially be missed won't get heard.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030152#Comment_3030152

    NO IT OWRUFA[FBOSHGTY8SJIOWT90SHGHSUGOSGHSHGS9HGSHFOHAHF omg

    pls

    pls.

    just listen.

    If a noise cannot actually be heard, then it wouldn't be indicated by a subtitle.

    think critically about that for a minute...

    that means if a quiet sound is being masked by a loud one (i.e. generator repairs) it's not going to show up on the subtitles???????????

    you're arguing against something that I've addressed like four times now. pls

    It's just that we are talking about perception and that is going to vary from person to person whether or not they are hard of hearing. Information is big in dbd, killer or survivor. I'm not saying that we outright shouldn't have accessibility but making information easier and more consistent to have, even if truly for the better (especially with audio occlusion being what it is. I still have games where the upstairs gen sound in preschool just cuts in and out), might require some balance overview.

    For the quiet vs loud sounds, they both still play and some players will be able to separate them. so how do you make that fair for everyone and still make sense for both killers, survivors, in a chase, and out.

  • Perk is still gonna not get used anymore

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3030177#Comment_3030177

    The reality is that you're literally putitng in zero effort into understanding how this could work, or giving any alternative options into accessibility.

    Instead you're just shooting down suggestions anything I try to say and it's exhausting.

    I'm at a loss for how to further try to explain it to you so all I can do is try to illustrate it.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/9VBVK5V8HFAR/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/KCABTH32PGZH/image.png

    There's zero way this would destory stealth killers but you can believe what you want ig

    You already demonstrated it visually, and I gave you the exact problems I had with it. People will be able to perceive different things, and this change blanket removes that. To be more precise, either the system has to work well enough such that it obliterates stealth, or it has to preserve stealthing enough that it won't be able to properly help HoH/deaf people.

    As for the altenative, I already said I'd get behind removing breathing and footstep sounds and whatnot from stealthing Killers.

  • This has gone on long enough. The topic of the discussion is not "should there be accessibility options" but this is particularly about Spine Chill and that has been discussed in the first couple of pages, the rest is an argument about what should/shouldn't be heard.

    As I've said, we're making this adjustment to Spine Chill to account for our players who are hard of hearing ahead of future changes that incorporate more accessibility features.

1 2 ›