Are they pulling "A David" Again?

Judging from the the recent LGBT representation post by the Dead by Daylight twitter. it seems to be implied there going to Turn Yui LGBT?

For the love of all that is the Entity Make a NEW CHARACTER and Carefully.

LGBT representation that is not built of an existing character is so much better taken. Makes it feel genuine

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017733#Comment_3017733

    I do think they genuinely care about the topic 2, and i hope they continue to do so.

    My take has brought some unsavory people into the topic and I'm sorry.

    Just to be clear: you don’t have to apologize for these kind of people at all. And I didn’t try to talk your take down, it’s actually something to worry about as there is a fine line between tacking this on on existing characters and writing a compelling and genuine story.

    i just think they did a very good job on David and especially in Yuis case there is great potential to create a fitting story out of it. if they decide to reveal her as LGBTQ+ that is.

  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    Judging from the the recent LGBT representation post by the Dead by Daylight twitter. it seems to be implied there going to Turn Yui LGBT?

    For the love of all that is the Entity Make a NEW CHARACTER and Carefully.

    LGBT representation that is not built of an existing character is so much better taken. Makes it feel genuine

    This is why I said before I feel like if David had been introduced as gay, or even had his story fleshed out much earlier rather than over 5 years after his release this would've been received much better. Not to say it wasn't received well by some, but I've seen a lot of different reactions to this including people who identify as lgbt and not everyone thinks this was the best approach. If they go the same route with another existing character as they did with David I wonder if it'll have the same reaction. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to make a new character and offered the same as other original survivors where you can purchase with shards or auric cells. Wouldn't people buy the character if they appeal to them or just simply like the character anyway?

    As far as feeling genuine, I understand where you're coming from. Keeping things like this in the dark for long periods of time doesn't sit well with everyone. I guess to others though it doesn't matter either way.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017842#Comment_3017842

    i can guarantee my feelings aren't hurt LMFAO

    i'm just matching ur energy. it doesn't really matter though, you won't be around here for long....

    My feelings arent hurt either, i will agree with you the tone did seem aggressive even if it wasn't there intention

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/330077/are-they-pulling-a-david-again

    This is why I said before I feel like if David had been introduced as gay, or even had his story fleshed out much earlier rather than over 5 years after his release this would've been received much better. Not to say it wasn't received well by some, but I've seen a lot of different reactions to this including people who identify as lgbt and not everyone thinks this was the best approach. If they go the same route with another existing character as they did with David I wonder if it'll have the same reaction. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to make a new character and offered the same as other original survivors where you can purchase with shards or auric cells. Wouldn't people buy the character if they appeal to them or just simply like the character anyway?

    As far as feeling genuine, I understand where you're coming from. Keeping things like this in the dark for long periods of time doesn't sit well with everyone. I guess to others though it doesn't matter either way.

    not everyone thinks this was the best approach

    there literally isn’t a best approach here. There will be people from all sides having any problem with any approach.

    also it’s been confirmed there will be more LGBTQ+ Representation both in new purchasable characters as well as existing characters. That’s been directly confirmed by the devs already.

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017276#Comment_3017276

    It makes a HUGE DIFFRENCE. Using a new character gives them time to make it MEAN SOMETHING. make it feel genuine. lets them use A BLANK SLATE to make something awesome.

    Representation that is tacked on feels lackluster and not genuine

    Honestly, a character that thought he was straight(read up on david's lore) and was closeted for the longest time, only to recently figure out he has been gay all along is much more genuine than simply adding a gay character. Already having a history, only to question yourself and finally take the stand to be genuine is a very real experience for a lot of people. The only thing about David that wasnt genuine, was the fact that BHVR PR thought it was nice to yell it out loud on twitter.

    Adding a new gay character for the sake to have a gay character is quite ingenuine, because you know that character has purely been added because they were gay.

    It wasnt tacked on, the announcement was just really forced.


    Imagine this scenario now: BHVR didnt tweet it out at all, but still added the lore as normal, then people slowly started reading the lore and found out David was gay that way. THAT would have been the perfect way to reveal it. But just because the reveal was bad, doesnt mean the action itself was bad.

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    Judging from the the recent LGBT representation post by the Dead by Daylight twitter. it seems to be implied there going to Turn Yui LGBT?

    For the love of all that is the Entity Make a NEW CHARACTER and Carefully.

    LGBT representation that is not built of an existing character is so much better taken. Makes it feel genuine

    oh no not Yui

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017831#Comment_3017831

    not everyone thinks this was the best approach

    there literally isn’t a best approach here. There will be people from all sides having any problem with any approach.

    also it’s been confirmed there will be more LGBTQ+ Representation both in new purchasable characters as well as existing characters. That’s been directly confirmed by the devs already.

    You have a point. There may not be a "best approach" but I do think diversity in video games can be done better. As for David for example I think the only way his could've been done better is simply to have done it much sooner. The thing is though when David was introduced I think they were still going by their original stance of leaving things like this up to the player so they can identify with the characters how they so choose. This is why I think for new characters its going to be better received and I'm actually curious to see how they go about it and how people respond to it.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017858#Comment_3017858

    You have a point. There may not be a "best approach" but I do think diversity in video games can be done better. As for David for example I think the only way his could've been done better is simply to have done it much sooner. The thing is though when David was introduced I think they were still going by their original stance of leaving things like this up to the player so they can identify with the characters how they so choose. This is why I think for new characters its going to be better received and I'm actually curious to see how they go about it and how people respond to it.

    The thing is though when David was introduced I think they were still going by their original stance of leaving things like this up to the player so they can identify with the characters how they so choose.

    David was introduced after Nurse so, no. Not really.

  • There's always someone that comes into these threads to ruin it for everyone else and compare sexuality to pedophilia and not only does it feel like they're kinda telling on themselves but the jokes do just write themselves

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/330077/are-they-pulling-a-david-again

    This is why I said before I feel like if David had been introduced as gay, or even had his story fleshed out much earlier rather than over 5 years after his release this would've been received much better. Not to say it wasn't received well by some, but I've seen a lot of different reactions to this including people who identify as lgbt and not everyone thinks this was the best approach. If they go the same route with another existing character as they did with David I wonder if it'll have the same reaction. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to make a new character and offered the same as other original survivors where you can purchase with shards or auric cells. Wouldn't people buy the character if they appeal to them or just simply like the character anyway?

    As far as feeling genuine, I understand where you're coming from. Keeping things like this in the dark for long periods of time doesn't sit well with everyone. I guess to others though it doesn't matter either way.

    Ah yeah I was wondering when you'd show up to give your take on this.

    You still never answered my question in that other thread as to why the pride charms make you uncomfortable btw can we get the scoop on that?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    There's always someone that comes into these threads to ruin it for everyone else and compare sexuality to pedophilia and not only does it feel like they're kinda telling on themselves but the jokes do just write themselves

    But these comparisons are okay as long as they don’t discriminate against a single person. 😅

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    There's always someone that comes into these threads to ruin it for everyone else and compare sexuality to pedophilia and not only does it feel like they're kinda telling on themselves but the jokes do just write themselves

    you know its funny i was just thinking abt how some ppl never post on the forums

    except on threads like this, usually with bad takes

  • Should Yui be lesbian just because she likes the motorcycles?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017978#Comment_3017978

    But these comparisons are okay as long as they don’t discriminate against a single person. 😅

    Mooks omg check the Chaos Channel for the horse video it's literally half this thread it's great

  • @IamFran said:

    Should Yui be lesbian just because she likes the motorcycles?

    No? Nobody said that at all…

  • I've said that because people are assuming that Yui will be the next LGTB character.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017978#Comment_3017978

    you know its funny i was just thinking abt how some ppl never post on the forums

    except on threads like this, usually with bad takes

    It’s even more funny if they try to state how they don’t care about the topic when they don’t engage in an other topics

  • @IamFran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018013#Comment_3018013

    I've said that because people are assuming that Yui will be the next LGTB character.

    I mean I think she'd fit because of the general themes of her entire chapter (including Oni) of familial burdens, expectations, and defiance of tradition. Its a theme present across the entire Cursed Legacy story, and even Shattered Bloodline places a high amount of importance on following tradition or defiance. If you wanted to reach even Spirit being the killer over her father signifies going against the rules and expectations of everyone around her.

    Yui would be a great fit, and not because of her motorcycle

  • Why is it okay to assume that every pre-existing character is straight? That's nuts. Unless their lore is stating their sexuality it is best to assume that those that don't have it said are TBA. Some character may never be addressed and that's okay too.

    Adding on to character's lore is genuine and it is awesome BHVR is doing that. I want to know more about these people and I think a lot of other players do as well.

    What is messed up is everyone here thinking there is a specific way LGBT+ characters needs to introduced in order to exist and be accepted. Its gross and needs to stop.


    I look forward to hearing more about the characters (killers too).

  • @IamFran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018013#Comment_3018013

    I've said that because people are assuming that Yui will be the next LGTB character.

    Sure but there is more to being LGBTQ+ than being gay/lesbian. I could see her being pansexual for example as she seems like a person that doesn’t think in traditional roles and genders etc. Others have said they could see Yui being asexual.

    though no one explicitly stated she could/should be lesbian because she likes motorcycles (not saying there aren’t people thinking like this)

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017831#Comment_3017831

    Ah yeah I was wondering when you'd show up to give your take on this.

    You still never answered my question in that other thread as to why the pride charms make you uncomfortable btw can we get the scoop on that?

    Pride charms don't represent my identity. 😉

  • Considering Yui never had any indication to being straight either, I don't see why this would be a problem at all. It would only add more depht and details to her lore, just like every new lore entry in every tome does.

  • same, girl same. Tho the bird one is cute.

  • It's always best to come up with new characters, sure, but was it written anywhere on David's lore he liked women? Or on Yui's lore that she only likes men?

  • As someone who's gay, I'd appreciate the effort into making a new character.

    They'll have more freedom with the said character and grabbing an existing character just seems lazy in my eyes. We already had David who was revealed to be gay so it only feels right that a future LGBTQIA+ would be new.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017344#Comment_3017344

    She had boyfriends

    What because she rides motorbikes? Love stereotypes

    Just read through her lore and don't see any mentions of boyfriends...

    She had a stalker...who attacked her with a knife. But the only relationships they talk about is either her familial one or the one of her all-female biker gang. But again, didn't see anything about a boyfriend.

  • The Dumbledore gambit worked out well for them on David, I wouldn't be surprised to see them run it into the ground. It's not like they lose anything by doing it, and it makes people who don't mind lazy world design happy.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017344#Comment_3017344

    She had boyfriends

    What because she rides motorbikes? Love stereotypes

    moreso the fact that the biker gang she's in and spends most of her time in is entirely made up of women? lmao

    also where in her lore is she mentioned to have boyfriends? and even if she did she isn't stated to have had one up to the point of her being taken to the entity afaik so those apparently didn't go great

    unrelated but her lore having an alcoholic character named misato and a prick named shinji is an eva reference isn't it

  • @tofurkey_jerky said:

    The Dumbledore gambit worked out well for them on David, I wouldn't be surprised to see them run it into the ground. It's not like they lose anything by doing it, and it makes people who don't mind lazy world design happy.

    The situation with David in not the same as the situation with Dumbledore, as explained earlier in this thread.

  • How we say things matters, for sake of peace. I'm all for everyone speaking their minds and believe they should speak on things how the truly feel about them. The problem is people can take things many different ways, even when the intent wasn't meant as such. When that happens things can spiral down into name calling and hatred, which is never a good thing.

  • @Krazzik said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018215#Comment_3018215

    The situation with David in not the same as the situation with Dumbledore, as explained earlier in this thread.

    Is there anything substantively wrong with what I said, assuming I referred to the situation as "the David gambit" instead of "the Dumbledore gambit", or is it just my phrasing you have a problem with?

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018199#Comment_3018199

    How we say things matters, for sake of peace. I'm all for everyone speaking their minds and believe they should speak on things how the truly feel about them. The problem is people can take things many different ways, even when the intent wasn't meant as such. When that happens things can spiral down into name calling and hatred, which is never a good thing.

    While I disagree with you on many things, you've always been respectful and civil from what I've seen. People can have a different opinion and can still discuss those differences in a calm environment.

  • Well...this thread definitely exploded from when I first saw it earlier. After cleaning up some comments, I have reopened the thread for discussion. I want to sincerely thank all those having a respectful discussion in this thread, and hope that it continues to be civil and respectful in discussion.

    I know it is human nature to wonder and speculate things, and discuss speculations. What I personally saw with the Q&A was they were answering a question regarding their favorite DbD character (I definielty understand picking Yui; she is easily a top 5 favorite Survivor for me between the hair, her lore, and perks...mostly the hair, I'm jealous of the hair a bit). If anyone has yet to read 5 Questions with Gaymer X, you can find the Tweet thread here: https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1539685913588121600

    Please know that whether it is a new or existing character, BHVR will continue to work with GaymerX to ensure their future stories are told with respect; for not just their character, but the LGBTQIA2S+ community as well.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3017344#Comment_3017344

    She had boyfriends

    What because she rides motorbikes? Love stereotypes

    When was ever confirmed she had boyfriends? I don't remember that being in her tome lore, and it isn't on her backstory either.

  • @FancyMrB said:

    Why is it okay to assume that every pre-existing character is straight? That's nuts. Unless their lore is stating their sexuality it is best to assume that those that don't have it said are TBA. Some character may never be addressed and that's okay too.

    Adding on to character's lore is genuine and it is awesome BHVR is doing that. I want to know more about these people and I think a lot of other players do as well.

    What is messed up is everyone here thinking there is a specific way LGBT+ characters needs to introduced in order to exist and be accepted. Its gross and needs to stop.

    I look forward to hearing more about the characters (killers too).

    I think they should be introduced the same way a straight character should be. Naturally and unnoticed. Isn't that the whole point of diversity and inclusion?

1 2 ›