lgbtism either can't be illness or phobic

but way to reveal david was gay not good

its like overwatch, users never found and cared any characters sexual preference

but suddenly company feed me like more important to know who is gay or lesbian more than their original lore

Comments

  • I'm mainly here just for the entertainment value at this point.

    But you can still talk about something and not care.

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933074#Comment_2933074

    I use the word "woke".

    I'm gay. I was surprised they ret-conned David, but now that I see his new cosmetic, I'm totally on board (I'm shallow that way) and currently leveling him lol. In the end, I'm actually glad they chose him because he doesn't look like a mish-mash of gay stereotypes.

    I think of the term "woke" not as people who are liberal and progressive (which is usually good). It refers to extreme neo-liberalism over classic liberalism.

    In this context, it would be accusing everyone who isn't ecstatic about this change as carte blanche hating gay people when in fact, they probably don't. I've seen people who would have had no problem with a new character being gay, just didn't like changing an existing one, yet they are still accused of homophobia which is not cool. Not everyone with criticism (so long as it is non-destructive) is auto-homophobic.

    "Woke" refers to the type of people who claim to be "right side of history" when they have a tendency to weaponize the progressive stack against those they believe to be lower on it than they are. Just muh opinion.

    They didnt retcon David. He was never confirmed straight. Please learn what words mean.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933208#Comment_2933208

    It was also never confirmed that he wasn’t gay, was it?

    you do realize how writing new lore for an existing character works, right? There have been many tome story’s all adding new stuff to existing character, some even ret-conning things from the initial backstory. But it seems like all of that is okay but as soon as a character whose sexual orientation wasn’t confirmed gets confirmed to be not straight it’s somehow ret-conning and bad?

    Dude, what are you arguing? I'm personally happy with David. Love his new shirt. + shades.

    But it was implied he was heterosexual. A developer specifically wrote a very detailed post that they decided to make David gay because out of all the existing (free) survivors, it seemed the best fit. Which meant he was never originally intended to be gay or perhaps, like most survivors, he was at the most ambiguous with heterosexual implications (I think this might be your point? Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you're saying the fact that many survivors lore being ambiguous and having no confirmed sexual orientation means no revisions happened?). Regardless, they added to his lore and took it in a different direction. Fantastic (for me).

    My point is, all of this is very dependent on people's interpretation of David. It's OK to have different interpretations. For some, him having a g/f heavily influenced their assumptions. Thus. some might find it a bit of a revision to an existing character, and in that way, see it as 'forced inclusion"; and that does not make them in any way homophobic. They're just processing it. And there's a discussion to be had. As I said earlier in the thread, for BHVR it was a Catch 22. If they made a new survivor that was DLC then they would be accused of cashing in on the rainbow and chasing after the gay $$.

    If these players suddenly said; " Well screw this! I'm never playing David again! IEW.". That's different and granted, I might side-eye somewhat. My whole point, is that everyone criticizing the release of this is not automatically a bigoted twat.

  • @Krazzik said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933182#Comment_2933182

    They didnt retcon David. He was never confirmed straight. Please learn what words mean.

    You're not worth my time.

    @Mooks is, because he's a good guy and actually discusses things respectfully even if it's a disagreement.

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933653#Comment_2933653

    You're not worth my time.

    @Mooks is, because he's a good guy and actually discusses things respectfully even if it's a disagreement.

    Okay but by the definition of a retcon it wasn't one. A retcon would imply he was confirmed straight and then suddenly the devs said "Nope he's gay now." It was never confirmed what his sexuality was and now it's been 'revealed' that he's gay.

  • David King is a fictional character. If we need to add more depth to an already irrelevant subject, might as well do it for representation right?

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933213#Comment_2933213

    Dude, what are you arguing? I'm personally happy with David. Love his new shirt. + shades.

    But it was implied he was heterosexual. A developer specifically wrote a very detailed post that they decided to make David gay because out of all the existing (free) survivors, it seemed the best fit. Which meant he was never originally intended to be gay or perhaps, like most survivors, he was at the most ambiguous with heterosexual implications (I think this might be your point? Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you're saying the fact that many survivors lore being ambiguous and having no confirmed sexual orientation means no revisions happened?). Regardless, they added to his lore and took it in a different direction. Fantastic (for me).

    My point is, all of this is very dependent on people's interpretation of David. It's OK to have different interpretations. For some, him having a g/f heavily influenced their assumptions. Thus. some might find it a bit of a revision to an existing character, and in that way, see it as 'forced inclusion"; and that does not make them in any way homophobic. They're just processing it. And there's a discussion to be had. As I said earlier in the thread, for BHVR it was a Catch 22. If they made a new survivor that was DLC then they would be accused of cashing in on the rainbow and chasing after the gay $$.

    If these players suddenly said; " Well screw this! I'm never playing David again! IEW.". That's different and granted, I might side-eye somewhat. My whole point, is that everyone criticizing the release of this is not automatically a bigoted twat.

    I never said anything of the likes that somebody or you specifically were a bigoted twat or homophobic or anything.

    yes my point was only that he was always left ambiguous, and him being revealed as gay isn’t a retcon it the actual literal sense. Or any addition of lore through tomes can be considered retcons and then… why only ever mention this when it’s LGBTQ+ related?

    and assuming someone can’t be gay because they had a heterosexual relationship is kinda ‚latent homophobic‘? Sorry i can’t express this term in English but i don’t mean it’s kn any way due to actual hatred but it’s actually a very good example of how this kind of representation is important and why David is a great choice after all! This is a story of David finding out himself who he is and going through phases and having to with his and his families struggles with the fact that he is gay.

    the devs are always for any new story looking at a char and ‚randomly‘ decide new stuff they add. This is part of their story writing. But we also know that they have created one of their original survivors with being LGBTQ+ in mind while not revealing who that is. And chances are, this could have been David all along and the girlfriend (which iirc was mentioned in a tome around the time they made that statement about inclusion) could have very well be always intended to be for him what we now know.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933682#Comment_2933682

    I never said anything of the likes that somebody or you specifically were a bigoted twat or homophobic or anything.

    yes my point was only that he was always left ambiguous, and him being revealed as gay isn’t a retcon it the actual literal sense. Or any addition of lore through tomes can be considered retcons and then… why only ever mention this when it’s LGBTQ+ related?

    and assuming someone can’t be gay because they had a heterosexual relationship is kinda ‚latent homophobic‘? Sorry i can’t express this term in English but i don’t mean it’s kn any way due to actual hatred but it’s actually a very good example of how this kind of representation is important and why David is a great choice after all! This is a story of David finding out himself who he is and going through phases and having to with his and his families struggles with the fact that he is gay.

    the devs are always for any new story looking at a char and ‚randomly‘ decide new stuff they add. This is part of their story writing. But we also know that they have created one of their original survivors with being LGBTQ+ in mind while not revealing who that is. And chances are, this could have been David all along and the girlfriend (which iirc was mentioned in a tome around the time they made that statement about inclusion) could have very well be always intended to be for him what we now know.

    I understand your position. I really do, and I actually agree with a lot of it. At the same time, I can also understand things from other people's perspectives as well. I personally would have preferred they did the lore, and released this information about David through the tome and didn't announce with a mega-phone.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932647#Comment_2932647

    I thought it was common knowledge all they did was look through there already existing survivors and chose one to be gay 🤔. Doesn't go much deeper than that.

    so you think all survivors are straight no matter what,how you know this wasn't they idea from the get go they wanted David gay.

    @Bran said:

    I don't look at the lore so I wouldn't know. If I did view the lore and read something I could criticize I'd tell you.

    you don't read the lore yet you know 100% David was straight before this I think you need to get your head out of the sand.

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933752#Comment_2933752

    I understand your position. I really do, and I actually agree with a lot of it. At the same time, I can also understand things from other people's perspectives as well. I personally would have preferred they did the lore, and released this information about David through the tome and didn't announce with a mega-phone.

    ok yea they shouldn't of posted made big deal let us find out he gay for are self's in tome but fact remain is there thing in his tome that say he 100% straight before now

    Yes he had a girlfriend means nothing my boyfriend I been with for 16 years been with many woman and men why sexuality is a gray area people change find thing out about them self late in life this maybe what happened with David.

    I'm glad your happy about David I say read his new tome.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932673#Comment_2932673

    so you think all survivors are straight no matter what,how you know this wasn't they idea from the get go they wanted David gay.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932799#Comment_2932799

    you don't read the lore yet you know 100% David was straight before this I think you need to get your head out of the sand.

    By all means he wasn't gay before.

  • how you know this? I mean you have anything to back it up? really now.

    I know you don't because no survivors or killers have said what they sexuality really is

    felix happy marriage (straight)

    legion straight couples (straight)

    nurse and wraith relationship (straight)

    and now David being gay (gay)

    they all in the tome right now but only now you care because it got to do with someone being gay

    all killers and survivors don't have a sexuality or anything till the writers put it in the tomes nothing canon till the dev and writers put it in the game and in the tome.

  • @th3syst3m said:

    Who gives a #########, it make some people happy.

    It also makes unhappy ones. Pointless fallacy.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934288#Comment_2934288

    how you know this? I mean you have anything to back it up? really now.

    I know you don't because no survivors or killers have said what they sexuality really is

    felix happy marriage (straight)

    legion straight couples (straight)

    nurse and wraith relationship (straight)

    and now David being gay (gay)

    they all in the tome right now but only now you care because it got to do with someone being gay

    all killers and survivors don't have a sexuality or anything till the writers put it in the tomes nothing canon till the dev and writers put it in the game and in the tome.

    He had a girlfriend. He was straight until they just made him gay. If they made Julie gay, then it would be the same thing.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934302#Comment_2934302

    He had a girlfriend. He was straight until they just made him gay. If they made Julie gay, then it would be the same thing.

    dude my partner has had a girlfriend before me and we been together for 16 years now

    no ones gay or straight or whatever till it in the tome

    dev and writers say who straight or gay not you.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934333#Comment_2934333

    dude my partner has had a girlfriend before me and we been together for 16 years now

    no ones gay or straight or whatever till it in the tome

    dev and writers say who straight or gay not you.

    I haven't, they did.

  • people when they realize gay men can have girlfriends because they did not realize they were gay at that point in time, or as cover from homophobic parents/etc:


    People who have an issue with this stuff need to get over themselves and grow up.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934302#Comment_2934302

    He had a girlfriend. He was straight until they just made him gay. If they made Julie gay, then it would be the same thing.

    People like you are the reason why we need representation like David. You can’t grasp the thought of a gay man having had a relationship with a girl in their past and you are desperately clinging to this statement (which you admitted you didn’t even know about the first time you said David was straight).

    Educate yourself. And read David’s tome lore. Then come back and try to give actual arguments against David’s reveal. Because as of yet others were able to give arguments but you are just like a stubborn child that can’t accept they were wrong about something.

  • @nostrada96ass said:

    but way to reveal david was gay not good

    its like overwatch, users never found and cared any characters sexual preference

    but suddenly company feed me like more important to know who is gay or lesbian more than their original lore

    Oh my God I said this with overwatch and I'll say it again if you didn't care about the characters sexuality then it being revealed should mean nothing to you.

    I remember one time informing someone of the sexuality reveal and their main response was "OK cool I guess" and that was it the conversation ended why because they didn't care.

    If you have to go out of your way to make a big massive post about it you clearly cares about the characters sexuality and you're not happy with what it turned out to be.

    The reason why I mentioned this specifically is because the second it was stated that David had an ex-girlfriend in a previous tome there was no backlash where was this post when that reveal happened.


    ( The same thing goes for tracer and soldier 76 from overwatch if it was revealed that they were straight. I bet you nobody would be complaining about the sexuality doesn't matter there's no point in revealing it.

    As for those specific characters in general do you want to know the funny thing the community made it more important than their actual story not the creators or the people doing the lore. Those who spent hours whining about the soldier reveal made it more important.

    Soldiers reveal was a very small vague blink and you would miss it three sentence reveal in a much bigger and more impactful story to had a point where it had to be clarified because it was vague.

    In fact is so hilarious that you mention being made the most important thing about the character because the reveal wasn't even the main point of that section. It was that soldier was too obsessed with work to actually hold a proper relationship whether he was dating a guy or a girl literally meant nothing to that point. Instead of Vincent he could have been dating Vanessa and nothing would have been lost because the sexuality and the gender of the person he was dating wasn't the point.)


    For the love of God get off your soapbox you have no clue what the hell you're talking about and you're just mouth breathing things you've heard before.

  • 'Nobody cared about sexual orientation.'

    Tell me you never paid attention to forum posts, Twitter posts, and fan art without telling me you never paid attention to forum posts, Twitter posts, and fan art.


    Personally, I don't care. It doesn't bother me, it makes a portion of the player base happy, and it's a step toward being all inclusive, which if you don't know, will eventually lead to things like that being the norm, which means it won't always be a big deal. But that's down a pretty long road.

1 2 3 4 ›