Why is Anti-Alias forced on AGAIN?!

More importantly, why isn't it an in-game option STILL? It looks terrible and hurts my eyes! Everything's blurry! Let me turn it off!

Comments

  • Isn't the game balanced around everyone having similar graphics settings? I would think being able to, for example, see a survivor/killer from across the map would be unfair if it were due to modifying game settings.

  • @Rogue11 said:

    Isn't the game balanced around everyone having similar graphics settings? I would think being able to, for example, see a survivor/killer from across the map would be unfair if it were due to modifying game settings.

    Anti-aliasing doesn't change what you can actually see

    It just makes what you can see blurry as hell


    If I can see a nemesis running at me from across the map, I'd rather be able to actually see him properly instead of him being super blurry until he's right next to me

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2928438#Comment_2928438

    Anti-aliasing doesn't change what you can actually see

    It just makes what you can see blurry as hell

    If I can see a nemesis running at me from across the map, I'd rather be able to actually see him properly instead of him being super blurry until he's right next to me

    Can I get a screen shot of this mess that is so blurry you literally cannot see anything?

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2928443#Comment_2928443

    Can I get a screen shot of this mess that is so blurry you literally cannot see anything?

    They didnt say they cant see anything.

  • My eyes hurt do to the blurry Anti Aliasing Thank you Behaviour maybe you should add a warning.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Especially considering the options are right there in the game files. It's literally a matter of making the UI at that point. I don't get it.

    How does the ui make them money though?

    One afternoon making a ui, or one afternoon making a feng skin hmmmm

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    How do we still not have basic 2012 QoL options in a 6 year old game in 2022?

    These kind of settings are decades older than 2012. BHVR is so behind the curve on the most basic graphics settings it's simply embarrassing.

  • You can disable it in the config files.

  • This needs to keep getting bumped up to the top. The devs/mods have had plenty of time to provide some sort of response/explanation for why there’s no option to disable this. Hell, they spent all week replying to threads about David. Their lack of response or explanation is intentional and it’s extremely frustrating.

  • Every day, hopeful, I enter the forum looking for a solution or an official answer. Who knows how it will end.

  • Keeping the faith....

  • @buzzaman said:

    You can disable it in the config files.

    Used to be able to. Not anymore, and BHVR won’t tell us why.

  • The only thing we can do to mitigate the vaseline on the screen is using Nvidia or SweetFX filters. Here's my settings for Luma Sharpen @ 1440P.

    [LumaSharpen.fx]

    offset_bias=1.000000

    pattern=1

    sharp_clamp=0.050000

    sharp_strength=1.500000

    show_sharpen=0

  • @HungryHungryHippie said:

    The only thing we can do to mitigate the vaseline on the screen is using Nvidia or SweetFX filters. Here's my settings for Luma Sharpen @ 1440P.

    [LumaSharpen.fx]

    offset_bias=1.000000

    pattern=1

    sharp_clamp=0.050000

    sharp_strength=1.500000

    show_sharpen=0

    It’s so pathetic that practically every other game made over the past 20 years has this basic graphics setting, yet we have to resort to ridiculous workarounds to make the game not look like crap

  • @Wasabi said:

    Every day, hopeful, I enter the forum looking for a solution or an official answer. Who knows how it will end.

    Same, the game looks smudgy and far less detailed with FXAA forced on. Kind of baffling how limited the graphics settings are. If they're scared of overwhelming new players, just add an "Advanced" section to the graphics where you can fine tune and disable FXAA.

  • it looks very blurry and can't be played they should fix this or many players will leave just because of a mistake

  • @Reaper23 said:

    it looks very blurry and can't be played they should fix this or many players will leave just because of a mistake

    I sure hope so... This kills my head...

  • I don't understand how people would want to play with an aliased image, looks horrible, specially on hair. The developers actually improved the TAA long ago and it looks way better and sharper than before.

    Seems like many of the complains come from people not playing at full native res which makes sense, also TAA shouldn't drop performance to a very perceptible level anyway.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932771#Comment_2932771

    Right. I’m sure everyone in these threads, myself included, is willingly making our games look “worse” because we’re worried about the appearance of hair.

    The game looks worse without AA, all jagged edges like a 90s game xD

    Blurriness is not even noticeable if you play at native resolution which you should if your GPU can. Otherwise I understand how upscaling from a low internal resolution might make the image look bad. Best you can do in that case is to set a resolution of like 960x540 and use integer scaling.

  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • @KennyTheRipper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933063#Comment_2933063

    Bro this is subjective to everyone. Thats why in the past 20+ years games always had an option to toggle that on or off you can play as you like it the most. But apparently DbD wants to decide what is best for us. Gives me Apple vibes, but without the quality

    Mostly for performance reasons, the old AA methods like MSAA were very expensive and unoptimized for GPUs of the time.

    @KennyTheRipper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932771#Comment_2932771

    No the native res point you trying to make is not valid. I play native 1440p and with AA it looks like horseshit. Even when I use Nvidia DSR to render at 4k and downscale to 1440p, because their AA implementation destroys everything

    Nah you are over exaggerating...

  • Any day now..... :[

  • @Bladeisbest said:

    Any day now..... :[

    Anti Aliasing option? is that some kind of Pig nerf? Sounds good lets roll out another pig nerf thanks for the idea!

  • AA looks awful, it hurts my eyes, gives me a headache. I don't care if the hair looks wonky with it off, I know it's not ruining my gaming experience unlike with it on.

    Still don't get how BHVR has yet to bother saying a god damn thing. Apparently, it's very hard to acknowledge this. Way harder than acknowledging Ghost Face's music giving people headaches still, it seems. That's easy. But no, yeah, continue ignoring us, why don't you?

  • This content has been removed.
  • I'm guessing they got rid of Engine.ini file editing because you were able to massively extend your FOV before the midchapter update with a simple command you'd paste in there. I have tried it once and it's absolutely ridiculous and even more broken than stretched res.

    They have probably removed the ability to edit that file because of that FOV command and at the same time screwed over those who just wanted to disable AA which is completely harmless anyway.

    Typical BHVR.

  • @KennyTheRipper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933520#Comment_2933520

    You make no sense, todays games still have that option. Check out the new Vampire Bloodhunt game, free2play with tons of options.

    No Im not over exaggerating, you are just ignorant, arrogant and gaslighting

    Triggered much?... well calm down, I never said games don't include AA options anymore and I know it can look extremely blurry in certain games like RDR2. In my opinion DbD has very good AA but I play on Ultra, will check how it looks on lower settings when I have the time.

  • @Chispon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933614#Comment_2933614

    Triggered much?... well calm down, I never said games don't include AA options anymore and I know it can look extremely blurry in certain games like RDR2. In my opinion DbD has very good AA but I play on Ultra, will check how it looks on lower settings when I have the time.

    If you really think Vaseline smeared over everything is 'very good', more power to ya, but as someone who also plays on Ultra, I find it absolutely horrendous, and can't play with it without hurting both my eyes and my head. Whatever the case, BHVR needs to get their ######### together when it comes to graphical options.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933525#Comment_2933525

    Anti Aliasing option? is that some kind of Pig nerf? Sounds good lets roll out another pig nerf thanks for the idea!

    Nooooooooooooooooooo

  • @MiriamG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933666#Comment_2933666

    If you really think Vaseline smeared over everything is 'very good', more power to ya, but as someone who also plays on Ultra, I find it absolutely horrendous, and can't play with it without hurting both my eyes and my head. Whatever the case, BHVR needs to get their ######### together when it comes to graphical options.

    Not joking, I would take TAA over an aliased image all day. I won't get my hopes up too much on the devs adding better graphical options but you never know.

  • I'm in no way implying that DBD is competitive, but look at any E-sports gamer and what settings they use. You'd never find a pro player using TAA or FXAA in a PvP game, maybe lossless AA like MSAA if they can afford it but then again that method can kill your FPS, so maybe not.

    Also I'm going to name drop Wolfenstein: The New Order, a popular title from 2014 that released without anti-aliasing. To this day I'm pretty sure it's not available due to the way the engine was written. But it looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm old school. I don't mind jaggies and screen tearing (vsync off).

    Please BHVR give us an option to toggle AA.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934143#Comment_2934143

    This 100%. Anyone who gives a damn about frames should be pushing for this option to come back. Either in the menu or in the .ini

    My game can look like roblox and I'll still play

    It's quite sad because even on Medium, the quality of BHVRs character models are pretty good

    They look ever better without an obnoxious blur that makes them look like they're covered in grease

  • @Chispon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933038#Comment_2933038

    The game looks worse without AA, all jagged edges like a 90s game xD

    Blurriness is not even noticeable if you play at native resolution which you should if your GPU can. Otherwise I understand how upscaling from a low internal resolution might make the image look bad. Best you can do in that case is to set a resolution of like 960x540 and use integer scaling.

    The blurriness is very noticeable (even in these few examples), especially if you look at Wraith's face:

    AACOMPARISON.gif

    It blurs out the details. Edit: Also to note, this is at native 2560x1440p resolution, 100% resolution scale.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933063#Comment_2933063

    The blurriness is very noticeable (even in these few examples), especially if you look at Wraith's face:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/9DL1UAGXP1VJ/aacomparison.gif

    It blurs out the details. Edit: Also to note, this is at native 2560x1440p resolution, 100% resolution scale.

    What's with the extra diamond on the last image?

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933063#Comment_2933063

    The blurriness is very noticeable (even in these few examples), especially if you look at Wraith's face:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/9DL1UAGXP1VJ/aacomparison.gif

    It blurs out the details. Edit: Also to note, this is at native 2560x1440p resolution, 100% resolution scale.

    But we are talking about the lowest quality AA, of course it will look worse.

  • @Chispon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934235#Comment_2934235

    But we are talking about the lowest quality AA, of course it will look worse.

    I don't think I tested it at ultra settings but yea my post proves BHVRs anti aliasing makes things a lot blurrier, I feel you're just nitpicking.

    That image was from a previous tutorial. I'm guessing the extra diamond faded in and out and it just so happens that I took a screenshot without the extra one and with the extra one due to timing.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934316#Comment_2934316

    I don't think I tested it at ultra settings but yea my post proves BHVRs anti aliasing makes things a lot blurrier, I feel you're just nitpicking.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2934266#Comment_2934266

    That image was from a previous tutorial. I'm guessing the extra diamond faded in and out and it just so happens that I took a screenshot without the extra one and with the extra one due to timing.

    Not nitpicking, it's also Temporal Antialiasing, standard on Unreal 4 and many other game engines.

  • As of patch 5.7.1 my ini started working again without any changes being necessary. I use the GarbageCollectionSettings line.


    Not sure if BHVR listened to us or all of this were accidents. The AA enabling was an accident or disabling it again is. Either way, we are free from AA once more.

  • @Decutor said:

    As of patch 5.7.1 my ini started working again without any changes being necessary. I use the GarbageCollectionSettings line.

    Not sure if BHVR listened to us or all of this were accidents. The AA enabling was an accident or disabling it again is. Either way, we are free from AA once more.

    It works on Steam, but not other PC platforms, at least windows store :(

  • "Serenity now, insanity later"

  • This content has been removed.
  • @Decutor said:

    As of patch 5.7.1 my ini started working again without any changes being necessary. I use the GarbageCollectionSettings line.

    Not sure if BHVR listened to us or all of this were accidents. The AA enabling was an accident or disabling it again is. Either way, we are free from AA once more.

    Great that it's not forced again, absolutely terrible that they absolutely refused to actually SAY anything this entire time.

  • I turned off the AA. No blurriesness if you go the app data route.

  • @Decutor said:

    As of patch 5.7.1 my ini started working again without any changes being necessary. I use the GarbageCollectionSettings line.

    Not sure if BHVR listened to us or all of this were accidents. The AA enabling was an accident or disabling it again is. Either way, we are free from AA once more.

    Thank you

  • @KennyTheRipper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2933666#Comment_2933666

    Im not triggered, cut that bs real quick. You are contradiction your own "logic". Go figure out what kind of logic you want to use 1st.

    Im using ultra myself so you dont even look at low because Idc about low

    Because Low settings also have lower quality AA and looks worse. Btw people said you can tweak the ini files and disable it as usual so quit whining...

1 2 ›