Do better BHVR - The Baba Yaga skin

Watching this skin get released is sad.


As an Eastern European (Who lives OUTSIDE of Russia), I feel heavily conflicted about the Baba Yaga skin. It makes me happy to see a bit of acknowledgement towards Slavic folklore, as Baba Yaga had some significance to me, especially with my parents warning me to behave or they'll feed me to her (lol).

But why is it that Slavic/Eastern European representation is always just 'Russia'? Especially when most of the Eastern European/Slavic countries to this day, have conflict with Russia over what the country did to them.


We have 8 Americans, 1 Nigerian, 1 'Anglo'-American, 2 African-Americans, 1 Russian, 2 Japanese, '4' Canadian, 1 Babylonian, 1 Irish-American, 1 Scottish, '2' French, 1 Korean, 1 English and 1 Chilean..

Before anyone comes in here, saying that this game isn't about lore - I agree. But it is nice to see representation, or acknowledgement towards one's culture, or even the impact that the culture has on the design of the killer.


Baba Yaga could've been a concept for a whole new killer in itself - and probably would've been a better idea than squeezing a whole 'deity' into a skin. Seeing people hate on the skin because they hate her unique sounds and/or design, is pretty disheartening too as this is the only nod that we, Slavic people, get towards our culture.

Whilst writing this post, I wanted to make sure that I had all fronts covered, and went ahead to read on the lore of the killers that weren't simply classified as 'American'.. Those that are of only one nationality, seem to be alright as they somewhat explore the country that those killers originate from, but those that are doubled with American?.. Lazy lore writing.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

    The majority of characters are either American, have American descent or for no reason at all, lived in America. BHVR isn't even in America. Some kind of jealously of their neighbours maybe?

    I have no idea.

  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777968#Comment_2777968

    Or how about you get out of my thread?

    I told you, if you find no issue with it, good. But myself, and clearly other users feel conflicted by it - and believe it or not, we are allowed to feel conflicted by a lazy attempt to 'show' our culture. Stop trying to disregard the feelings of others on something that isn't personal to you, or isn't continually done throughout media.

    We are allowed to criticise and give feedback which is why the forum even exists - so if you truly have nothing productive to say, then just leave.

    Clearly I have upset you but so many Huntress's are embracing in the new Huntress, and well I would find that embracing but so many, find so much negativity just to post about it :) I am not trying to disregard, another excuse and forth words of phrase in this world, perhaps if you feel that bad then don't play Huntress, the devs aren't going to remove it, not sure what this is going to do? it's been making a thread for thread sake, so well and I gave my fee back, so many are so offended by literally anything these days it's hard what is actually serious and what is just becoming a thread. But please enjoy, don't use Huntress and just perhaps make not a thread if no one can leave opinions, :)

  • @Mushwin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777977#Comment_2777977

    Clearly I have upset you but so many Huntress's are embracing in the new Huntress, and well I would find that embracing but so many, find so much negativity just to post about it :) I am not trying to disregard, another excuse and forth words of phrase in this world, perhaps if you feel that bad then don't play Huntress, the devs aren't going to remove it, not sure what this is going to do? it's been making a thread for thread sake, so well and I gave my fee back, so many are so offended by literally anything these days it's hard what is actually serious and what is just becoming a thread. But please enjoy, don't use Huntress and just perhaps make not a thread if no one can leave opinions, :)

    I am ALLOWED to voice my displeasure with BHVR's actions. There is a reason that a forum exists. For FEEDBACK.

  • Let's please keep the discussion civil and respectful, thank you.

  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777992#Comment_2777992

    I am ALLOWED to voice my displeasure with BHVR's actions. There is a reason that a forum exists. For FEEDBACK.

    Please troll somewhere else

    Wasn't what the Romes disclosure of a forum was to inspire a debate? A forum exits due to such, for such things to be discussed i am not toling I voicing my own opinions which as last term legal, it is not your thread if you cease to allow others to indulge in their own voice and expressions. It is not for FEEDBACK, I believe BHVR have a thread for such but making a topic, openly exists for others to express their voice sweetie :)

  • i like it and im serbian

    and she looks more like a serbian then russian but both are the same but different (slavic wise)

  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777961#Comment_2777961

    No.

    If you are fine with it - good for you, I'm not fine however being represented by the country that occupied mine, and killed many of my people whilst trying to deprive us of our culture.

    Why do you even feel represented by it? That’s entirely something you decided to do.

    your country/culture is just currently not represented. There are many others as well such as almost all of Africa, Australia, Everything Asian but Japan, China, South Korea, almost all of South America etc pp.

    Baba Yaga was not chosen to represent you or your culture, it’s not exclusive to your culture as well, it’s also part of Russia and that one happens to be more commonly known to the rest of the world. that doesn’t mean Eastern Europe is now represented as a whole by this skin and won’t get anything else.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777963#Comment_2777963

    Why do you even feel represented by it? That’s entirely something you decided to do.

    your country/culture is just currently not represented. There are many others as well such as almost all of Africa, Australia, Everything Asian but Japan, China, South Korea, almost all of South America etc pp.

    Baba Yaga was not chosen to represent you or your culture, it’s not exclusive to your culture as well, it’s also part of Russia and that one happens to be more commonly known to the rest of the world. that doesn’t mean Eastern Europe is now represented as a whole by this skin and won’t get anything else.

    Because generally so to speak - Eastern Europe hardly has any media exposure, and any attempts at such are usually done by slapping a Russian in our faces.


    If i were to ask for an Eastern European or Slavic character, many will jump the gun and say Huntress is already in the game, why? Because she is a token that is being used for that region. As i've also said, the only reason that there is such a strong association with Russia to Baba Yaga or Eastern Europe is because of the fact that media refuses to give representation to that region through a different nationality. Which is an issue in itself, and I believe deserves to be highlighted.

  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776970#Comment_2776970

    Yes, that isn't a Russian as using Russia to represent Slavic or Eastern European countries is possibly the WORST decision to make, and worst kind of representation.

    Well you get very close last summer then when everyone thought the resident evil was going to be Lady Dimitrescu.

    Unless Romania is not enough slavic and too much latin for your taste.

  • @Zolfo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2777839#Comment_2777839

    Well you get very close last summer then when everyone thought the resident evil was going to be Lady Dimitrescu.

    Unless Romania is not enough slavic and too much latin for your taste.

    People thought it, but that wasn't the plan, and it didn't happen in the end - so why does it matter?


    Also no, Romania wouldn't have been bad, and i never stated it not to have been. I do say either Eastern European or Slavic, the latter being that Russia is used as a token for that specifically (especially with the Baba Yaga skin), but a country that is EE and not Slavic, would be fine too.

  • Don't mix politics into this game

  • @WeenieDog said:

    There are no crows in South America.

    Lol that's true

    I wonder if the next original killer will be related to rats somehow and hail from Alberta

  • @fogdonkey said:

    Don't mix politics into this game

    I was not using this to bring politics - I'm just saying that regions deserve better representation and not to be summed up by the one country that did so much harm, historically and in the present.


    It'd be the same way as slapping a native skin onto one of the american characters, which had no mention of being native nor have any intentions of exploring them being native.

  • @DoritoHead said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776700#Comment_2776700

    Lol that's true

    I wonder if the next original killer will be related to rats somehow and hail from Alberta

    That's true. There are no crows south of panama. Incredible because in all the other continents there are! They found the only place on the earth for a crow theme killer where there are no crows!

  • @Starrseed said:

    I know how you feel we got German folklore ripped apart and slapped on the one Asian girl half the player base simps for. And it's not even good representation cause all they did was lol look it's a hood and it's red xD.... Bhvr should realize that sure these tales are known all over the world but they are part of some countries history and identity so either do the right or take your dirty little hands of my tales

    Exactly. There’s a Krampus, which is from southern Germany and the alps, the Oktoberfest skins which is focused on Bavaria, and thats it. I’d really like a killer from northern Germany, since most pop culture focuses on the south

  • @Malum_Midnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776719#Comment_2776719

    Exactly. There’s a Krampus, which is from southern Germany and the alps, the Oktoberfest skins which is focused on Bavaria, and thats it. I’d really like a killer from northern Germany, since most pop culture focuses on the south

    Yeah right we have so much cool folklore that could be made into a killer. I don't like that Germany is always condensed down to the south. We even could get some ww2 related killer cause back then they tryed all kinds of strange ocult stuff to make a super soldier and to find magic artifacts

  • @Starrseed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2841893#Comment_2841893

    Yeah right we have so much cool folklore that could be made into a killer. I don't like that Germany is always condensed down to the south. We even could get some ww2 related killer cause back then they tryed all kinds of strange ocult stuff to make a super soldier and to find magic artifacts

    That would be really cool, and I don’t think it’d be out of place with killers who torture people for fun

1 2 ›