How do we keep dbd alive?

If you look at the steam charts this game is declining. Content creators are getting frustrated with the game and devs, and I think we can all agree that the game is incredibly frustrating for both killer and survivors. I was wondering how we can keep the game fun and refreshing without saying "buff this killer" or "nerf this survivor perk/play style."

Just interested in seeing if y'all have anything like a new game mode or mechanic to keep the game fresh without the killer vs survivor debate.

Comments

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776517#Comment_2776517

    I mean if you want DbD to die that badly, you could like, yknow. Stop playing it? Or just stop keeping up with news on it? It simulates your weird fantasy to quite great effect. Civ 6 is an actual good game if you're not enjoying this either if you need another place to be pointed towards :). There is literally nothing stopping you from playing the game, if you really think its that bad. Don't. Play. It. Simple as that

    While no one is forced to play dbd. It makes ya feel bad when you've invested so much time and energy into the game and the devs aren't being competent.

    But you are correct. I'm taking a break until the Ringu killer comes out and will be assessing if I want to continue the game front there.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776528#Comment_2776528

    Yeah I could however I spent money to get the dlc and some cosmetic I should be able to as a customer voice what I need to. And unlike someone trying to pull a Patrick by defending, sucking up and making excuses I have the right to say what I damn well please when the game is ######### and I see people asking the obvious when it is obvious.

    And you are wrong about one thing I don't want it to die but I am not going to sit here and act like everything is ok when it's clearly not.

    So I will leave this question for you as well "why are you defending this game and why should anyone care about this game enough to stay for long periods of time?"

    My thoughts exactly

  • @GuyFawx said:

    It could get back a lot of the players if they perhaps did a questionaire but its slow decline is typical this time of year. As a lot of players are not stuck at home.

    Yup. Although for some people it's hard to comprehend not everybody has 8 or more hours to do nothing but sit and play dbd all day everyday.

  • @Lancifer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776528#Comment_2776528

    While no one is forced to play dbd. It makes ya feel bad when you've invested so much time and energy into the game and the devs aren't being competent.

    But you are correct. I'm taking a break until the Ringu killer comes out and will be assessing if I want to continue the game front there.

    Nice sentiment but with how they turned most licensed characters a joke I would keep my expectations low.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776528#Comment_2776528

    Yeah I could however I spent money to get the dlc and some cosmetic I should be able to as a customer voice what I need to. And unlike someone trying to pull a Patrick by defending, sucking up and making excuses I have the right to say what I damn well please when the game is ######### and I see people asking the obvious when it is obvious.

    And you are wrong about one thing I don't want it to die but I am not going to sit here and act like everything is ok when it's clearly not.

    So I will leave this question for you as well "why are you defending this game and why should anyone care about this game enough to stay for long periods of time?"

    Im sure you've spent tones of money on some things in your life that you eventually let go, why is DbD any different? Also if you want your voice heard, basically ranting, saying something is bad without actually saying why it is doesn't help any one in the slightest. You leave very little room for discussion and give even less feedback.

    Also why am I defending this game? Because I genuinely enjoy it. Are there issues? Absolutely, and some need to be addressed much faster than the current rate its being handled. That being said the idea behind the game and the concept is what I love, and its exactly why I picked up the game back in 2017.

  • How could they hate the only good bubba main lmao

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776535#Comment_2776535

    Im sure you've spent tones of money on some things in your life that you eventually let go, why is DbD any different? Also if you want your voice heard, basically ranting, saying something is bad without actually saying why it is doesn't help any one in the slightest. You leave very little room for discussion and give even less feedback.

    Also why am I defending this game? Because I genuinely enjoy it. Are there issues? Absolutely, and some need to be addressed much faster than the current rate its being handled. That being said the idea behind the game and the concept is what I love, and its exactly why I picked up the game back in 2017.

    Just ranting? Tell me did you happen to read an earlier much longer post where I did explain why I have issues with this? Also my comments about saying this game is dying is not a "I want to see this game dead" its more "I've seen this before" even with other games that were released at the same time as this like f13 suffered the same fate and I honestly believe that due to the what the devs want to do with game and how they are spearheading it the time is getting more and more limited because what this game is offering now is becoming more and more like what their competitors did.

    -focuaing on cosmetics rather than fixes

    -deterring and turning off players from their game do to bad to horrible decisions.

    -lopsided balances

    So that I why I asked why "why bother staying" because other than a concept that has turned rotten due to the devs choices what's left and remember thanks to how the game is now more and more negatives are outweighing the positives now.

  • I don't know, I love this game but I'm pretty burned out, aside from the balance problems I wish they did something different in regards of content (different gamemodes etc) I'm tired of just chapter releases.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    Just keep playing it and it will never die. That being said, some sexy skins wouldn't hurt. Make them some money. I get it, a lot of the people here are into monster girls. That is fine, but can we get one killer that is Trickster, but for men? That would be great.

    Yes, add sex to dbd

  • Sadly for killer its all about the balance for durvivor the only boring thing is getting camp but even then if its not a bubba you probably going to get rescue

  • @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776480#Comment_2776480

    And do you think new blood would stay? Not if they played Killer.

    I think they would. In fact I know people who prefer killer over survivor because there is more of a sense of control and you don’t have to rely on someone else.

  • Here's a good tip to help the problem:

    If you're a survivor and your team have all reached the exit gates, just leave. Don't stand around waiting to teabag the killer. Just go and start a new game.

    Why, it's such a simple little thing, anybody can do it.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    You can't be serious. Well I guess sleet ready for a long response

    You basically just answered your own question for as much as you don't want people to say it is simple as buffing killers and nerfing survivors because right now there are obvious reasons for people quitting.

    -no one wants to play killer cause the side is so gimped that you only have two real options now play scummy (which is also dying) or play nurse or blight which lead to people leaving do to variety being dead now

    -survivor perks are way too forgiving. Right now boons and the usual meta has gotten to a point where you could call survivor baby mode.

    - the whole cheater/hacker issue. Comms stretch res, hostage issues with hackers,etc, all of this needs to go and until it does no one would want to play pc under the fear of potentially getting their pc ######### up or worse getting dosed.

    -the one mode. It's one mode what more do I have to say it gets boring easily.

    - the grind. First off ######### the bloodweb. And secondly, since this game has a massive rng issue having to force people to spend hours upon hours just to get perks for a worthwhile build shows a massive part of the game is a run and feels more like a job in order to get to the fun part of the game.

    -the mmr. It needs to die it is one of the worst matchmaking systems ever because much like the devs over reliance on statistics it only works if all of the variables are shows which it's not and since it favors speed having a lopsided ratio leads to people with 1000+ hours in the game being matched up with newbie survivor and more often newbie or I'll prepared killers.

    -the meta. Right now it's a boring mess and idk if weeds legal where BHVR is but here is the basic run down of what is has been for a long time. Use meta perks such as DH,DS,COH,UB and now boil over for survivor use bbq,corrupt,pop,noed (which can change depending on killer but this is a universal meta build), nerf killers with maybe one buff every so often and buff survivors along with nerfs that do little to nothing to change the meta, sell licenses and cosmetics to try and keep the player base up to so current and future license holder and investors keep backing this game rinse and repeat at nauseum this and last week especially showed an excessive amount of cosmetic shoehorning to try and butter people up.

    -the overall balance for as much as some on the forums try to say it's balanced and such it's cherry picked the main contentions are otzstarva's challenge and scottjunds tournament videos which both show glaring holes. For otz's case his results that he showed are incomplete since it doesn't show what maps, perk builds and items builds, and things such as dc's and has been shown more a result that if survivors want to try and win they have to camp and tunnel and be scummy which again leads to more nerfs because of for lack of a better phrase "entitled survivor bitching" and for Scott's case he never goes much into the maps and which killers were used the most he said was lower tiered killers like artist were used to which atm is not saying much because where does artist lie A,B,C ,F now if legion or an f tired killer won maybe you have something. But the other problem is one that shows another issue I said before "The tournament allowed everyone to bring in everything" how many players actually has everything? So unless you have done the grind,did a bloodweb hack or played exclusively in customs with everything unlocked this does not hold water.

    -overall mentality. This community is the worst when it comes to this (try and try as people must to say overwatch lol and others are worse the fact that this has a lower player base and even the devs sharing this kind of mentality being able to be on par with those examples shows its the worst) and instead of someone putting their foot down and saying enough is enough they double down whether it's because of ego or having thin skin it doesn't matter it turns off people and makes them go to the other pvp options instead.

    I know there's more but right now I can't really get into it cause of either repetition to a point or idk that was a part of it but this is a good overall understanding on what is going on.

    I didn't want to mention game balencing (Mainly the meta builds and swf) because the devs aren't going to do much about that at this rate. While game balencing (as in meta builds etc) ARE the main culprit, there's nothing we can do about it. The DBD community has been trying to plead with BHVR for years, and the game STILL is..... we'll say lackluster.

    It's kinda like the Titanfall2 case. Players are begging for something, and the devs aren't listening. Why beat a dead horse? They don't listen to the community or fog whisperer's, they continue to give us pointless info on Q&A streams, and they release broken killers on live servers after they have weeks to fix bugs on the PTB.

  • You don't need to, this game is always alive... for the killer.

    Nothing you can do as survivors I guess, there is just too many of them.

  • @Sepex said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2776387#Comment_2776387

    Yup. Although for some people it's hard to comprehend not everybody has 8 or more hours to do nothing but sit and play dbd all day everyday.

    Why was the percentage drop for this time in 2020 a 10% and not a 30%, and why was the 2019 season of the same time a net gain and not loss? Your "It's because of the season!" idea doesn't hold water because anyone can browse steamcharts and see the numbers. DBD lost 30% between August 2021 to Dec 2021. In Aug 2020 to Dec 2020 it was 10%. That a massive increase. And in 2019 the population went UP during that time frame. So, no, it isn't because of the season or months. If it was, you could see the same amount every year, and you don't. And as previously mentioned, if it was because of the time of year, you could look at other games and see the same number drops. But you don't. Dota 2 and CSGO have gained players in that time frame. A lot of games have.


    It's a DBD issue. Not some mythical issue caused by the weather patterns

  • The end is inevitable, too many sweaty players. Game will die veery soon

  • Yeah there are less players than before on Steamchart but do you know DBD exists on console and EGS (was even free few weeks ago), do you have stats for these platforms ?

    I'm agree the game has many issues (due to devs that are incompetent) and I hope they will move their asses because I enjoying so much the game that I want to keep it alive but I don't think he's dying like you think :)

  • I think people need to talk complaining about every little thing and be less entitled. Just feel like we shouldn't be focusing on all the little negative things.

    Maybe on both sides we shouldn't care about winning every game and just play for fun. As survivor mess around with meme builds and as killer just use perks you enjoy using and don't care about not getting 3/4k.

    Also take breaks from the game. If your not having fun, take a break. I've been playing for over 4 years and I've taken probably taken 10 month long breaks.

  • @CashelP14 said:

    I think people need to talk complaining about every little thing and be less entitled. Just feel like we shouldn't be focusing on all the little negative things.

    Maybe on both sides we shouldn't care about winning every game and just play for fun. As survivor mess around with meme builds and as killer just use perks you enjoy using and don't care about not getting 3/4k.

    Also take breaks from the game. If your not having fun, take a break. I've been playing for over 4 years and I've taken probably taken 10 month long breaks.

    Just play for fun is certainly harder when it takes 10 minutes to play the game I think.

  • I feel one important aspect is the relationships within the game. By that, I mean both communication between players and devs, and also between players themselves.

    There's a strong stench of toxicity and inability to communicate in any way other than a childish prick by some people, and it's a real turn off for a lot of players. Unfortunately, people still wear these insults and ideas of being toxic as a badge - like they were unable to earn anything in the Scouts, so anything will do. Players still have the word "toxic" in their name tags, as if it's some type of flex. It's pathetic.

    Other things such as game health and slowing down the amount being churned out in favour of more meaningful, forward-thinking change would be good too. But a majority of the issues feels linked to poisonous relationships and attitudes.

    As for saving the game, I don't think it's in a state of needing to be saved just yet: Steam only counts the PC brigade, and whilst it's an interesting indicator to look at, with so many other formats to look at it's probably in no real issue. But it is a concerning indicator.

  • @Lancifer said:

    If you look at the steam charts this game is declining. Content creators are getting frustrated with the game and devs, and I think we can all agree that the game is incredibly frustrating for both killer and survivors. I was wondering how we can keep the game fun and refreshing without saying "buff this killer" or "nerf this survivor perk/play style."

    Just interested in seeing if y'all have anything like a new game mode or mechanic to keep the game fresh without the killer vs survivor debate.

    I mean stop harassing killer players in general, not you personally but if survivors want killers to still play, stop harassing them, that is the easiest way to not let the game die.

    Stop with BNP or broken medkits, but since most survivors will still bring them I hope it goes downhill and bhvr will have to do something.

  • That's easy.

    You buy those v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ cosmetics.

  • A lot of balancing

    Both in terms of Perks and Killer Powers... Buffing weaker perks and nerfing stronger perks.... and the same can be said for Killer powers (both at base and addons)

    Maps need to be changed... Spawns mostly

    The community needs to realize that the Devs are working hard and can't "fix" things instantly... and we need to calm down (stop being toxic to one another)

  • Remove MMR is the only thing that can make me play killer again, i can't remember my last killer game, was around august or September i think, period that it came out, I'm also a bit annoyed cuz i have to do killer challenges for the new tome soon, guess I'll just do them and go afk right after

  • If they had fixed the grind, I would have stayed. Now I play here and there but i mean, last season i didn't even make it out of Ash 4. This season a played a bit more but I'm still ash 2 (as killer and survivor) .

    Its just not fun to look at how unfun it is, and the worse part is bhvr's unwillingness to change it, or fix it. Especially seeing how easy it would be.

    Problem is on my last grind burnout i started playing other games that don't have a grind and it's was so refreshing!

    So much refreshing that at this point... I don't think I'll ever be back on dbd other than a couple of matches per month. The damage has been done but i still want new players to have a much better progression system than the one we all had to go through.

    Because the game is inherently fun but when people show how stupid the grind is but the people in charge just ignore them.... It just kills it.

  • @Lancifer said:

    If you look at the steam charts this game is declining. Content creators are getting frustrated with the game and devs, and I think we can all agree that the game is incredibly frustrating for both killer and survivors. I was wondering how we can keep the game fun and refreshing without saying "buff this killer" or "nerf this survivor perk/play style."

    Just interested in seeing if y'all have anything like a new game mode or mechanic to keep the game fresh without the killer vs survivor debate.

    Another game mode would have been nice, like....a year ago. So that at least if the normal mode goes to hell people have an alternative. They're still playing the game at least. But we've been shut down so many times on even suggesting another game mode its pointless to even ask. So if the main mode dies....I guess...whatever? I guess instead of playing the game and continuing to contribute to it and buy skins etc, or play another mode when the main one feels bad we're just supposed to go off to another game like Civilization V.

  • DBD goes through a rise/fall every year. Both the average and the peak player count are higher now than at this time last year. In fact this is the best Winter in the game's history so far. So relax.

  • @Ghoste said:

    DBD goes through a rise/fall every year. Both the average and the peak player count are higher now than at this time last year. In fact this is the best Winter in the game's history so far. So relax.

    Here's the issue.

    We retained basically zero of the players we gained from HUGE licenses like RE and Hellraiser. Likewise, we are on a massive downward slide without any new patches on the horizon. I suspect Ringu will be DOA at this point. Likewise, there are massive sales going on at the moment, as well as an actually good event, if you look even a week ago, our numbers are lower than last years.

    My thoughts? Honestly, some people need a wake-up call and a mass exodus would hopefully spur them into action.

  • By doing gens. Entity wants to kill the game the only thing we can do to keep it alive is to play.

1 2 ›