Do I have to spell it out for ya...

With all the money being made from players buying cosmetics and dlc killers & survivors........ When in the hell are we getting Dedicated Servers? This damn game needs it BAD! Love this game but I'm getting tired of getting hit by the killer when they're like a mile away from me and when they go for a pick up I teleport back to the spot I ran away from.
Tagged: ACMMod

Comments

  • Sadly the game seem to have been built with a p2p mechanic, so, for little i know (very little) they should rebuild the game from the start to add dedicated servers... wich will cost... a lot.... like... really a lot...
    Still i can be totally wrong and this being only lazyness, but i'm prone to the "it will cost" version...

  • "Easy" fix: remake the game from scratch and allow us to port our data from the old game to the new one.
  • I think I need you to spell it out, I is bad at engrish

    also dedicated servers are really hard to get

  • I love the backseat devs on here and Reddit who think that it's like flipping a switch for severs. Unless you have any idea on how t works, which I don' personaly, then don;t demand.

  • Mr_Myers said:

    I love the backseat devs on here and Reddit who think that it's like flipping a switch for severs. Unless you have any idea on how t works, which I don' personaly, then don;t demand.

    Well, seems like you know a lot about that. Wanna educate us?
  • Dedicated servers may make some things better for some people, but people who expect that it's going to be all perfect when the dedicated servers come are living a lie. It has its own cons, too.
  • Dedicated servers may make some things better for some people, but people who expect that it's going to be all perfect when the dedicated servers come are living a lie. It has its own cons, too.
    For example?
  • For example?
    Biggest issue when it comes to dedicated server is DDoS attacks.

    #1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    #2. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    #3. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    #4. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together. 

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too. 
  • @Khalednazari said:
    Dedicated servers may make some things better for some people, but people who expect that it's going to be all perfect when the dedicated servers come are living a lie. It has its own cons, too.

    Honestly I think the only con would go to killers who would actually feel lag if the survivors are lagging. Hence how killers can lag switch right now and survivors will freeze and they can freely walk around and hit them.

  • Playing killer on a dedicated server could be a nightmare. Plus not to mention the poor people stuck in between two of them would ALWAYS have ######### ping. Nah stuff that.
  • For example?
    Biggest issue when it comes to dedicated server is DDoS attacks.

    #1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    #2. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    #3. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    #4. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together. 

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too. 
    #1 we already have those days every 2 months or so where noone can connect for multiple hours or even days. 

    #2 "probably"
    I personally don't know any server based game with those maintenance days. Also, steam has akready maintenance day every week where noone can get online for 20 minutes, dont see the issue here tbh

    #3 well, that's just an issue due to money. If they invest more money they can spread out wider like other server based games 

    #4 what exactly do you mean with that? 
  • For example?
    Biggest issue when it comes to dedicated server is DDoS attacks.

    #1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    #2. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    #3. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    #4. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together. 

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too. 
    Rocket league has servers for different regions and lets you choose in which ones you wanna queue
  • #1 we already have those days every 2 months or so where noone can connect for multiple hours or even days. 

    #2 "probably"
    I personally don't know any server based game with those maintenance days. Also, steam has akready maintenance day every week where noone can get online for 20 minutes, dont see the issue here tbh

    #3 well, that's just an issue due to money. If they invest more money they can spread out wider like other server based games 

    #4 what exactly do you mean with that? 
    What you are talking about in #1, is actually what I mean by #4. DDoS attacks are very different from 'technical issues' on the developer's system. When the game became free on PS4, the game servers weren't able to handle the load, it resulted in connection errors. That was a technical issue, while DDoS is a kind of spam attack resulting in denial of service. 

    #2 I have played some games where they do weekly maintenance and they have dedicated servers. It's not a whole lot of inconvenience, like I said. 
  • Vietfox said:

    Rocket league has servers for different regions and lets you choose in which ones you wanna queue
    Yes, but server lags are still a thing. For example, a killer hits a survivor, but it doesn't register a hit since the server didn't recieve a packet that resulted in a hit due to some lag. Something like struggling on the hook will need to change too, but it constantly needs to send data registering the struggle, a few misses, and you're dead. 
  • Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge

    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.

  • Vietfox said:

    Rocket league has servers for different regions and lets you choose in which ones you wanna queue
    Yes, but server lags are still a thing. For example, a killer hits a survivor, but it doesn't register a hit since the server didn't recieve a packet that resulted in a hit due to some lag. Something like struggling on the hook will need to change too, but it constantly needs to send data registering the struggle, a few misses, and you're dead. 
    Dedicated servers are always less laggy than local servers. If someone lags that hard with dedicated servers maybe online games aren't for them.
    I already die while struggling because of killer's internet sometimes and get hit 2 meters away from the window as well. Dedicated servers would be more fair for everyone, not just for one side of the game.
  • Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge

    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.

    @Blueberry
     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.
    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.
    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.
  • @Khalednazari said:
    DwightsLifeMatters said:

    For example?

    Biggest issue when it comes to dedicated server is DDoS attacks.

    1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    2. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    3. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    4. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together. 

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too. 

    Ok so the biggest issue for dedicated servers you say is DDoS attacks. Then you give a example how bad it would be to have a DDoS attack during the holiday season. I'm sure its happened but could you (or anyone) list any big popular games with dedicated servers that this has happened to? How long were you unable to play the game? I only ask because the only game that I've played in the last five years that was affected (for like a day) like this by DDoS attacks was the f2p game Warframe...which doesn't have dedicated servers.

  • Vietfox said:

    Dedicated servers would be more fair for everyone, not just for one side of the game.
    I'm up for everything that makes the game better. I never was or I am now against the idea of a dedicated server, but the way players demand and think that it's gonna end all the problems, it is not really true. We both know that. 
  • Jed said:

    Ok so the biggest issue for dedicated servers you say is DDoS attacks. Then you give a example how bad it would be to have a DDoS attack during the holiday season. I'm sure its happened but could you (or anyone) list any big popular games with dedicated servers that this has happened to? How long were you unable to play the game? 

    DDoS attacks are very much still a thing for the gaming industry, with the industry investing an astronomical amount on security.
    I used to play one mmorpg game some years ago, and the example I gave, was what happened once during the holiday season.
    The recent incident I know, is of Ubisoft. Here's the proof.


  • @Khalednazari seems to be the only one who understands that dedicated servers aren't the panacea of online gaming. Every system has its flaws.

  • Orion said:

    @Khalednazari seems to be the only one who understands that dedicated servers aren't the panacea of online gaming. Every system has its flaws.

    @Orion
    They are not, but they are better than local servers. No one said dedicated servers are gonna solve all the problems.
  • @Vietfox said:
    @Blueberry said:

    Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge

    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.

    @Blueberry
     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.
    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.
    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.

    You're speaking to someone with over 2,200 hours and I play both killer AND survivor at rank 1 every reset. I know clearly how the game play is.

  • @Orion said:
    @Khalednazari seems to be the only one who understands that dedicated servers aren't the panacea of online gaming. Every system has its flaws.

    They're not the only one, I've just gotten tired of trying to tell the same people over and over again how it works. The same is true for newer people that go look at old threads and think yeah this will work and completely ignore all the reasons it won't solve everything.

  • @Vietfox said:
    They are not, but they are better than local servers. No one said dedicated servers are gonna solve all the problems.

    They're different. They have benefits and drawbacks, like everything else.

  • Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:
    @Blueberry said:

    Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge

    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.

    @Blueberry
     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.
    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.
    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.

    You're speaking to someone with over 2,200 hours and I play both killer AND survivor at rank 1 every reset. I know clearly how the game play is.

    Lol at that entitlement.
    If you know then i don't get why you say " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ".
    Either you ignore it or just wanna have it easier as a killer and take advantage of that issue.
  • @Vietfox said:
    Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:

    @Blueberry said:

    Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge
    
    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.
    
    
    
    @Blueberry 
    

     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.

    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.

    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.

    You're speaking to someone with over 2,200 hours and I play both killer AND survivor at rank 1 every reset. I know clearly how the game play is.

    Lol at that entitlement.
    If you know then i don't get why you say " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ".
    Either you ignore it or just wanna have it easier as a killer and take advantage of that issue.

    It's not entitlement. You said and I quote, "If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy."

    You said I didn't have experience and I showed otherwise. All I did was provide a rebuttable to your argument and you didn't like that.

    I say, " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ", because it's not. If you played the game more you'd agree. The entitlement is you blaming lag many times instead of excepting your mistakes, which is why I also already said, " A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed."

  • Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:

    @Blueberry said:

    Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge
    
    A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed.
    
    
    
    @Blueberry 
    

     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.

    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.

    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.

    You're speaking to someone with over 2,200 hours and I play both killer AND survivor at rank 1 every reset. I know clearly how the game play is.

    Lol at that entitlement.
    If you know then i don't get why you say " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ".
    Either you ignore it or just wanna have it easier as a killer and take advantage of that issue.

    It's not entitlement. You said and I quote, "If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy."

    You said I didn't have experience and I showed otherwise. All I did was provide a rebuttable to your argument and you didn't like that.

    I say, " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ", because it's not. If you played the game more you'd agree. The entitlement is you blaming lag many times instead of excepting your mistakes, which is why I also already said, " A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed."

    Instead of accepting your own mistakes? Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    Same way as you, i've been playing both roles at rank 1 every month for 2 years and i can tell that you just need one month to realize that lag creates too many unfair situations towards survivors in this game, if u want to ignore it then it's your problem.
    Of course servers are not a problem for killers since they are the ones who host.
  • @Vietfox said:
    Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Blueberry said:

    @Vietfox said:
    
    @Blueberry said:
    

    Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all in my experience. Laggy host at lobby? Just dodge A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed. @Blueberry

     If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy.
    
    I always dodge red ping, but even with green ping you still get lag spikes sometimes.
    
    Play as a survivor for a straight month and tell me how was it.
    
    
    
    You're speaking to someone with over 2,200 hours and I play both killer AND survivor at rank 1 every reset. I know clearly how the game play is.
    
    
    
    Lol at that entitlement.
    

    If you know then i don't get why you say " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ".

    Either you ignore it or just wanna have it easier as a killer and take advantage of that issue.

    It's not entitlement. You said and I quote, "If you played as a survivor more often yoi would know it's not that easy."

    You said I didn't have experience and I showed otherwise. All I did was provide a rebuttable to your argument and you didn't like that.

    I say, " Doesn't really seem that much of an issue at all ", because it's not. If you played the game more you'd agree. The entitlement is you blaming lag many times instead of excepting your mistakes, which is why I also already said, " A lot of the time people just blame lag when they don't think something should have landed."

    Instead of accepting your own mistakes? Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    Same way as you, i've been playing both roles at rank 1 every month for 2 years and i can tell that you just need one month to realize that lag creates too many unfair situations towards survivors in this game, if u want to ignore it then it's your problem.
    Of course servers are not a problem for killers since they are the ones who host.

    Sure you do lol.

  • Here we go. Thread derailed. 
  • I'm on the side with the person saying lag isn't an issue. I play both sides. I feel like I barely ever get into a laggy game. Once in awhile it'll start smooth and get laggy. But I just finish the game and not cry about it. But it's probably 1 match every 30 matches that I experience a laggy killer. The rest I just leave their lobby at the start, and I barely ever have to do that.

    Dedicated servers would be great and all. But it probably isn't something they're going to pay for. I mean how much money do you think DBD actually sells? Probably not very much. Games been out for two years. The people that want to play it do. The skins in the store are a meme. Every other game on the planet is doing far better on skin creation. I doubt many people buy these Auric Cells for crappy skins lol.

  • @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
  • @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).
  • @OGlilSPOOK20 said:
    With all the money being made from players buying cosmetics and dlc killers & survivors........ When in the hell are we getting Dedicated Servers? This damn game needs it BAD! Love this game but I'm getting tired of getting hit by the killer when they're like a mile away from me and when they go for a pick up I teleport back to the spot I ran away from.

    What you are saying will only get worse with dedicated servers. Vaulting will be more about who is closer to the server, then any skill. The way it works now isnt just fine, it's actually the best setup for the game. If you see the killer has ######### ping, you can just leave and find another, who will be green for you.

  • Vietfox said:
    @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).
    As someone who plays both but mainly survivor, no, it's unfortunate that lagswitching is a thing at all, let alone one sided, and the occasional "I should have not been hit" happens. But its consistent. I dont make those plays anymore because I know how the hitboxes are, and that even a meter of distance off can down me because its killer server based. I wont go for a pallet drop or a vault if I'm not SURE I have the room and account for possible "lag".

    They're not perfect at all, but they're consistent and tolerable unless you get all sweaty every game for max bp. Even at rank 1 it's not the thing that causes most problems. Hook farming and bond leads are more problematic imo.


    NTM you can see killer ping in pre lobby....
  • Vietfox said:
    @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).
    As someone who plays both but mainly survivor, no, it's unfortunate that lagswitching is a thing at all, let alone one sided, and the occasional "I should have not been hit" happens. But its consistent. I dont make those plays anymore because I know how the hitboxes are, and that even a meter of distance off can down me because its killer server based. I wont go for a pallet drop or a vault if I'm not SURE I have the room and account for possible "lag".

    They're not perfect at all, but they're consistent and tolerable unless you get all sweaty every game for max bp. Even at rank 1 it's not the thing that causes most problems. Hook farming and bond leads are more problematic imo.


    NTM you can see killer ping in pre lobby....
    Yeah but this thread is about dedicated servers, i already complained about hook farmers in another thread.
    They can be tolerable sometimes, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt improve it, same way they fixed many other issues with the game.
    About the ping in the lobby... I wish i could trust that, but we all know that you can get lag spikes even when ping is green, and some of them suspiciously convenient for the killer.
  • Vietfox said:
    Vietfox said:
    @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).
    As someone who plays both but mainly survivor, no, it's unfortunate that lagswitching is a thing at all, let alone one sided, and the occasional "I should have not been hit" happens. But its consistent. I dont make those plays anymore because I know how the hitboxes are, and that even a meter of distance off can down me because its killer server based. I wont go for a pallet drop or a vault if I'm not SURE I have the room and account for possible "lag".

    They're not perfect at all, but they're consistent and tolerable unless you get all sweaty every game for max bp. Even at rank 1 it's not the thing that causes most problems. Hook farming and bond leads are more problematic imo.


    NTM you can see killer ping in pre lobby....
    Yeah but this thread is about dedicated servers, i already complained about hook farmers in another thread.
    They can be tolerable sometimes, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt improve it, same way they fixed many other issues with the game.
    About the ping in the lobby... I wish i could trust that, but we all know that you can get lag spikes even when ping is green, and some of them suspiciously convenient for the killer.
    It was about dedicated servers then turned into the normal killer vs survivor bias. Dedicated servers would be nice, but would only open more lagging to all sides, and more unseen issues we may not even know could be a problem. 

    The "killer side lag that can be dealt with dedicated servers" isnt so bad as to cause more problems with the game, imo. Like I said, it's unfortunate when it happens, if someone lag switches to hell and back, but when it's just inches of space or a half second of an animation that the killer lag caused, its not that bad. When I first started this game I complained a LOT about "lag". Then I learned to play around the minuscule problems that occur. 

    And yeah, I get lag spikes from green ping, but it's either very seldom and non problematic, or such obvious lag switching I just die on first hook and move on.
  • Vietfox said:
    Vietfox said:
    @Vietfox


    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills
    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.
    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).
    As someone who plays both but mainly survivor, no, it's unfortunate that lagswitching is a thing at all, let alone one sided, and the occasional "I should have not been hit" happens. But its consistent. I dont make those plays anymore because I know how the hitboxes are, and that even a meter of distance off can down me because its killer server based. I wont go for a pallet drop or a vault if I'm not SURE I have the room and account for possible "lag".

    They're not perfect at all, but they're consistent and tolerable unless you get all sweaty every game for max bp. Even at rank 1 it's not the thing that causes most problems. Hook farming and bond leads are more problematic imo.


    NTM you can see killer ping in pre lobby....
    Yeah but this thread is about dedicated servers, i already complained about hook farmers in another thread.
    They can be tolerable sometimes, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt improve it, same way they fixed many other issues with the game.
    About the ping in the lobby... I wish i could trust that, but we all know that you can get lag spikes even when ping is green, and some of them suspiciously convenient for the killer.
    It was about dedicated servers then turned into the normal killer vs survivor bias. Dedicated servers would be nice, but would only open more lagging to all sides, and more unseen issues we may not even know could be a problem. 

    The "killer side lag that can be dealt with dedicated servers" isnt so bad as to cause more problems with the game, imo. Like I said, it's unfortunate when it happens, if someone lag switches to hell and back, but when it's just inches of space or a half second of an animation that the killer lag caused, its not that bad. When I first started this game I complained a LOT about "lag". Then I learned to play around the minuscule problems that occur. 

    And yeah, I get lag spikes from green ping, but it's either very seldom and non problematic, or such obvious lag switching I just die on first hook and move on.
    How can dedicated servers be nice and open more lagging to all sides at the same time?
    Dedicated servers exist for a logical reason, they are way less problematic than local servers.
    I still don't understand why this game was designed for local servers...
  • @Khalednazari said:

    1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    2. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    3. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    4. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together. 

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too. 

    1) DDoS attacks could already affect the servers now. Remember, this game is not completely based on P2P. There's always some central services involved (as of now, it's the matchmaking service, the shop, the profile service [saving your bloodpoints, perks and stuff], and probably even more)

    2) Maintenance CAN but doesn't always HAVE to mean having a service downtime. If you're designing a distributed system (which this exactly is), you can design it for minimal downtime and e.g. have rolling service instance restarts/updates. Also design databases and distributed datastructures to be extendable/open for extension. It just depends on having capable and experienced system architects on board that incorporate such a requirement into the design and using the appropriate technology (all that can be done using open source software).

    3) Wrong. You can have servers in datacenters all around the world. No problem.

    4) In times of "Infrastructure as Code" and the possibilty to spin up dedicated servers in AWS/AZURE (using an API) in a very short amount of time, this is also not a problem anymore. Hoster can not fix the server asap? -> Just order a new system. Deploy the software in an automated way (use Ansible, Puppet, and what not). Register the new server/service instance to the infrastructure/matchmaking. Terminate the subscription of the old server. Done.

  • @Khalednazari said:
    1. Imagine, its a nice Holiday season, the developers are on a well-deserved vacation, and there's a DDoS attack on the server. That's it then. 'Cannot connect to server' for days together.

    1. The Maintenance. There will probably need to be a maintenance day every week, where the game will be down for a few hours once a week. Not much of inconvenience, but still.

    2. Server Lags. Since the servers will be based where BHVR is located, i.e. Canada, player logging in from the countries far away in the east, middle east, will still have lags due to high ping.

    3. Hardware issues. Every game I have played with a dedicated server, has had atleast a hardware issue once where the game is down for multiple days together.

    In the end, like I said, dedicated servers maybe better, but it's still not a perfect system, and has its own cons too.

    1) DDoS attacks could already affect the servers now. Remember, this game is not completely based on P2P. There's always some central services involved (as of now, it's the matchmaking service, the shop, the profile service [saving your bloodpoints, perks and stuff], and probably even more). So that's not really a reason to not implement dedicated game servers, right?

    2) Maintenance CAN but doesn't always HAVE to mean having a service downtime. If you're designing a distributed system (which this exactly is), you can design it for minimal downtime and e.g. have rolling service instance restarts/updates. Also design databases and distributed datastructures to be extendable/open for extension. It just depends on having capable and experienced system architects on board that incorporate such a requirement into the design and using the appropriate technology (all that can be done using open source software).

    3) Wrong. You can have servers in datacenters all around the world. No problem.

    4) In times of "Infrastructure as Code" and the possibilty to spin up dedicated servers in AWS/AZURE (using an API) in a very short amount of time, this is also not a problem anymore. Worst case: Hoster can not fix the server asap? Just order a new system. Deploy the software in an automated way (use Ansible, Puppet, and what not). Register the new server/service instance to the infrastructure/matchmaking. Terminate the subscription of the old server. Done.

    Conclusion
    Other companies have managed to change their P2P system to dedicated systems (of even a hybrid system). So could BHVR. It only depends on them being willing to do so.

  • Pizzaman said:

    "that's not really a reason to not implement dedicated game servers, right?" 

    Conclusion 

    Other companies have managed to change their P2P system to dedicated systems (of even a hybrid system). So could BHVR. It only depends on them being willing to do so.

    Why is my post assumed to be anti-dedicated server stance? I have no problem with dedicated servers and I have mentioned this multiple times in this thread. I'm in for everything that makes the gaming experience better for everyone. Just as how a healthy discussion works, I listed out to cons. It is also essential to make other players realise that Dedicated Servers has it's own drawbacks, and not everything will be rosy as it seems. 
  • @Vietfox said:
    Khalednazari said:


    Vietfox said:

    Rocket league has servers for different regions and lets you choose in which ones you wanna queue

    Yes, but server lags are still a thing. For example, a killer hits a survivor, but it doesn't register a hit since the server didn't recieve a packet that resulted in a hit due to some lag. Something like struggling on the hook will need to change too, but it constantly needs to send data registering the struggle, a few misses, and you're dead. 

    Dedicated servers are always less laggy than local servers. If someone lags that hard with dedicated servers maybe online games aren't for them.
    I already die while struggling because of killer's internet sometimes and get hit 2 meters away from the window as well. Dedicated servers would be more fair for everyone, not just for one side of the game.

    Playing killer might be impossible with small lagg in the current game.
    Imagine hitting a 360ing survivor if you dont have perfect ping..... not sure how thats gonna work out.

    A lot of stuf would have to change to enable dedicated servers, and sure it would be better in the long run but I highyl doubt that the devs will ever got through this effort

  • @Vietfox said:
    @Carpemortum said:


    Vietfox said:


    @Carpemortum said:


    Vietfox said:


    @Carpemortum said:


    @Vietfox

    Thats what most killer mains do when they blame the game's balance instead of their skills

    This is where your actual arguement ended and the killer/survivor bias started showing.

    Saying that current servers are fine is killer biased to begin with, since killers are the one who host and don't have to go through laggy matches as often as survivors.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is in a game that has both options, like L4D2, no one picks "local servers" because obvious reasons (unless they want to play with mods).

    As someone who plays both but mainly survivor, no, it's unfortunate that lagswitching is a thing at all, let alone one sided, and the occasional "I should have not been hit" happens. But its consistent. I dont make those plays anymore because I know how the hitboxes are, and that even a meter of distance off can down me because its killer server based. I wont go for a pallet drop or a vault if I'm not SURE I have the room and account for possible "lag".

    They're not perfect at all, but they're consistent and tolerable unless you get all sweaty every game for max bp. Even at rank 1 it's not the thing that causes most problems. Hook farming and bond leads are more problematic imo.

    NTM you can see killer ping in pre lobby....

    Yeah but this thread is about dedicated servers, i already complained about hook farmers in another thread.
    They can be tolerable sometimes, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt improve it, same way they fixed many other issues with the game.
    About the ping in the lobby... I wish i could trust that, but we all know that you can get lag spikes even when ping is green, and some of them suspiciously convenient for the killer.

    It was about dedicated servers then turned into the normal killer vs survivor bias. Dedicated servers would be nice, but would only open more lagging to all sides, and more unseen issues we may not even know could be a problem. 

    The "killer side lag that can be dealt with dedicated servers" isnt so bad as to cause more problems with the game, imo. Like I said, it's unfortunate when it happens, if someone lag switches to hell and back, but when it's just inches of space or a half second of an animation that the killer lag caused, its not that bad. When I first started this game I complained a LOT about "lag". Then I learned to play around the minuscule problems that occur. 

    And yeah, I get lag spikes from green ping, but it's either very seldom and non problematic, or such obvious lag switching I just die on first hook and move on.

    How can dedicated servers be nice and open more lagging to all sides at the same time?
    Dedicated servers exist for a logical reason, they are way less problematic than local servers.
    I still don't understand why this game was designed for local servers...

    Because there is only one side that has to aim.
    It is easier to make the game run on realtime on the killers side since survivors only have to escape, they dont have to aim like in a FPS game and the only issues occur when there is really high ping (lobby dodge if you verse a killer from another region)
    The only real issue about p2p in my opinion is that they cant really punish DCs (at least I assume thats the reaosn why they dont punish them)

    Imagine if theyve complete redone their code and everone plays on dedicated servers now. Survivors wouldnt be hit by weird looking hits, ASSUMING that there connection is fine and I can tell you that most survivors dont have a stable connection (otherwise they wouldnt accuse me of laggswitching :wink: )

    But the big problem will be on the killers side. If you only have the slightest amount of lagg, how are you supposed to hit a fast-moving target like a 360ing survivor for example?
    Or imagine playing huntress or nurse with lagg, we already see on console how much the framrate affects those two, now imagine additioal lagg.....

  • @Khalednazari said:
    Pizzaman said:

    "that's not really a reason to not implement dedicated game servers, right?" 

    Conclusion 

    Other companies have managed to change their P2P system to dedicated systems (of even a hybrid system). So could BHVR. It only depends on them being willing to do so.

    Why is my post assumed to be anti-dedicated server stance? I have no problem with dedicated servers and I have mentioned this multiple times in this thread. I'm in for everything that makes the gaming experience better for everyone. Just as how a healthy discussion works, I listed out to cons. It is also essential to make other players realise that Dedicated Servers has it's own drawbacks, and not everything will be rosy as it seems. 

    In this community there is only black and white. EIther you are a killer main that wants to keep his advantage of laggswitching or you are a survivor main wanting dedicated servers such that you cant be laggswitched
    anymore. All that even though laggswitching isnt even a real thing anymore. Thats the mentality here :wink:

  • Dedicated servers do not magically fix everything. Lag in particular is not going away, it would likely be worse with dedicated servers.

    To give an example, you mentioned getting hit when the killer is far away. Right now:
    - Game sends your data to the killer (slight delay)
    - Killer recieved that data. If they register a hit, the game sends data back to you to register the hit on your end (slight delay again)

    That's basically it currently, massively simplified of course. With dedicated servers however:
    - Game sends your data to the server (slight delay)
    - Server sends your data to the killer (another slight delay)
    - Killer receives your data. If they register a hit, the killer sends that data to the server. (Another delay)
    - Server sends that data to you to register a hit on your end. (A fourth delay)

    So in that case, you're going to have even more lag on hits. Servers aren't magic, it takes time for your data to physically travel between two places. Adding extra steps to that process increases that delay. Even games with dedicated servers have these issues. You'll notice it particularly with shooters where you could get shot well after you went behind a wall on your end.

    That's just the tip of the iceberg, there's a lot more reasons why it's not a clear choice.
  • Peanits said:
    Dedicated servers do not magically fix everything. Lag in particular is not going away, it would likely be worse with dedicated servers.

    To give an example, you mentioned getting hit when the killer is far away. Right now:
    - Game sends your data to the killer (slight delay)
    - Killer recieved that data. If they register a hit, the game sends data back to you to register the hit on your end (slight delay again)

    That's basically it currently, massively simplified of course. With dedicated servers however:
    - Game sends your data to the server (slight delay)
    - Server sends your data to the killer (another slight delay)
    - Killer receives your data. If they register a hit, the killer sends that data to the server. (Another delay)
    - Server sends that data to you to register a hit on your end. (A fourth delay)

    So in that case, you're going to have even more lag on hits. Servers aren't magic, it takes time for your data to physically travel between two places. Adding extra steps to that process increases that delay. Even games with dedicated servers have these issues. You'll notice it particularly with shooters where you could get shot well after you went behind a wall on your end.

    That's just the tip of the iceberg, there's a lot more reasons why it's not a clear choice.
    @Peanits
    Rocket league is a game with dedicated servers, it's a game that requires precision and haven't had any problems with that.
  • @Vietfox said:

    @Peanits
    Rocket league is a game with dedicated servers, it's a game that requires precision and haven't had any problems with that.

    Rocket League is also way larger in terms of player base and their dedicated servers are all over the place and it's also VAC secured. They've got multiple server locations all over the world since they can afford it which is something most people don't consider.

  • @powerbats said:

    @Vietfox said:

    @Peanits
    Rocket league is a game with dedicated servers, it's a game that requires precision and haven't had any problems with that.

    Rocket League is also way larger in terms of player base and their dedicated servers are all over the place and it's also VAC secured. They've got multiple server locations all over the world since they can afford it which is something most people don't consider.

    Server locations isn't typically an issue. Most game developers do not host their own servers but rather rent them from other providers that have many locations around the world already (Amazon, for example).

    The big difference is the way the game interprets and compensates for lag. This varies from game to game.

    Something like Battlefield keeps it somewhere around the middle. Stuff is handled on the server side rather than on the shooter's or shootee's side, meaning that it doesn't give either side the benefit of the doubt and splits the difference. You can hit people around corners, but nobody gets preference. You don't get an advantage by having high ping.

    Then there's games like Overwatch that'll bias detection one way or the other. In that particular case, it'll favour the shooter. If you hit someone on your end, it'll hit them on their end. This will mean that it feels more solid for you, but there may be more delay on their end (you'll get shot behind walls more, and you'll also see more kill trades for example).

    There's also a ton of hidden stuff usually going on and little tricks the game can use to predict movements and whatnot to mitigate the effects, but it's not always perfect. You can get something that feels pretty solid on both ends, but it's a ton of work to do it right. Not going to comment on Rocket League as I haven't had a chance to play it (it's stuck in my backlog purgatory).