If removing a tool that is used for hate crimes that target specific communities...

Does that mean that Face-Camping is also a tool?

Watching opinions on both sides over the recent "Bubba masks" being removed. I got to thinking, most of the players hate crime targeting specific communities that occurs within this game, have one common denominator.... They all face-camp.

Understandably, this playstyle is part of the game, but I do also believe it plays a role when you factor in what goes into what these (bullying) players are using to harass individuals. I am not asking for it to be removed and I understand that the devs have stated they have acknowledged it, so I am happy about that. I simply wanted to bring light to it, because so far I feel like people are only focusing on one element of what happens when a person gets harassed in this game. It's like calling a burglar a burglar because they wore a striped shirt and a mask, but not because they broke into your home and stole your all your stuff.

Just to be clear. I am part of the LGBTQ community and having been harassed in the past, I completely sympathize with the players (victims) who have had to experience such horrifying behavior, and it sickens me that we still have to witness it today. I know that we will probably never truly get to a point where we can stomp it out completely, but I do believe that as a gaming community we have the power to be kind to each other, and love each other enough that we can make this a place where everyone can feel welcomed and not have to fear being a part of it because of who they are, where they come from or what skin color they are.

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746030#Comment_2746030

    It sounds like you are just using this situation to try and change the game for your own gain. Kind of cringe, bro.

    Read it how you want to, that isn't what I am trying to do.

    Why would I need to do that when they are already looking into face-camping?

    Next.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746043#Comment_2746043

    Read it how you want to, that isn't what I am trying to do.

    Why would I need to do that when they are already looking into face-camping?

    Next.

    That is one thing they said, and they also said that it would be quite difficult to substantially nerf face camping without fettering proxy camping. As much as I love doing it to survivors, I have to admit, the game would probably be better if it was not such a reliable tactic.


    That being said, while it is here, you know, might as well enjoy it. 😉

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746036#Comment_2746036

    Face-camping alone isn't racist. How many times do I have to say it?

    I never claimed otherwise, I've always said there was a correlation between them. If you had bothered to read, you would actually know this already.

    If you never claimed otherwise, why even bring racist harassment into the discussion in the first place? What purpose does racism have in this?

    Is your core argument instead that facecamping is harassment?

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746051#Comment_2746051

    That is one thing they said, and they also said that it would be quite difficult to substantially nerf face camping without fettering proxy camping. As much as I love doing it to survivors, I have to admit, the game would probably be better if it was not such a reliable tactic.

    That being said, while it is here, you know, might as well enjoy it. 😉

    Right, you have a problem with me calling it out because it is something you do.

    Not because you see how it is affecting other players (especially when it is done to people of color) and by the way, way to contradict yourself in saying I am doing this for my own gain, and now you are admitting the game would be better off without it.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746047#Comment_2746047

    If you never claimed otherwise, why even bring racist harassment into the discussion in the first place? What purpose does racism have in this?

    Is your core argument instead that facecamping is harassment?

    Did you bother to watch the video? Or do you just make it a habit to ask the same questions?

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746058#Comment_2746058

    Did you bother to watch the video? Or are you just make it a habit to ask the same questions?

    When I asked you to reiterate you point, I asked you. Not a video.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746064#Comment_2746064

    When I asked you to reiterate you point, I asked you. Not a video.

    So you didn't.

    I answered you and gave you the reason why. I am not sure why you are asking the same questions.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746054#Comment_2746054

    Right, you have a problem with me calling it out because it is something you do.

    Not because you see how it is affecting other players (especially when it is done to people of color) and by the way, way to contradict yourself in saying I am doing this for my own gain, and now you are admitting the game would be better off without it.

    No, by all means, call it out. If I had a problem with it being called out, surely I wouldn't do it. Do you know how many messages I get from it? I am more shocked when I do it to a PSN and DON'T get a message, ha ha.


    That is not a contradiction... No idea why you think it is to be perfectly honest. I am a bit baffled. I was not expecting that direction.


    Anyways, I actually agree with you, believe it or not. I fully believe they should address this and remain consistent in their position as to not discredit their own values.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746066#Comment_2746066

    So you didn't.

    I answered you and gave you the reason why. I am not sure why you are asking the same questions.

    Nope. I didn't watch your video. If your point isn't worth condensing into a paragraph it's not worth it to bother with. I'm only dealing with your text.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746067#Comment_2746067

    Nope. I didn't watch your video. If your point isn't worth condensing into a paragraph it's not worth it to bother with. I'm only dealing with your text.

    Well then when and if you feel like asking the same question again, I will keep referring you back to that comment.

    thanks

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746069#Comment_2746069

    Well then when and if you feel like asking the same question again, I will keep referring you back to that comment.

    thanks

    In that case given your comment literally has "racist harassment" bolded and immediately talks about facecamping with it being a "common denominator" I am assuming you are trying to use racist harassment as your argument for why facecamping is bad.

    And that you are stating nothing else, because you haven't yet, or at the very least don't make it your primary focus.



    Give me a single statement with what you are attempting to achieve. Make a single sentence.

    "Facecamping is ___"

  • @Kiridus said:

    I am a gay asexual man (I only have romantic feelings towards men but I am not for the idea of having sex) and, yeah, I can understand the troubles people went through with people using Bubba's Claudette mask. I do not think face-camping was ever a part of the problem or a problem in its own right though -- it happens to be the thing many shitlord Leatherface players do, rather than something racially-motivated like the Claudette Mask. So while face-camping is something is an annoyance, I would not consider it a tool in the same level as the Claudette mask.

    Why is ur sexuality important to your point

  • I genuinely do not mean to be rude, but what exactly is the point of the thread? As in, what is there to discuss, I might be missing something here. For the purpose of not getting banned for the third and final time, I will completely ignore the Bubba situation if you don't mind. Because sure, face camping is a tool, but what isn't? Like, letting people bleed out can also be considered a tool. Tunneling someone can also be considered a tool, Same goes for flashlight clicking, t-bagging, not leaving the gates, nodding, pallet camping and literally any other thing in the game that puts one side at an advantage over the other one, in other words, anything else that is a game mechanic. This game, nor any other, will never be sterile enough to prevent this behaviour from happening, because then there would be no game mechanics.

  • They're trying to give a comparison to the perceived argument of facecamping being a racist action to set common ground in which to discuss the topic with @Johnny_XMan

    It's not actually relevant to the core topic being discussed at the moment, but it's an attempt to mirror the method of discourse poised by OP to give a sense of camaraderie to more easily win over OP.

  • Because we've progressed so far that being defined by labels is now, once again, considered important and in many online spaces lacking the correct label will ensure that your views are discarded with greater ease.

  • Oh, wait sorry OP, I actually re-read one of your previous comments:

    "Face-camping is a badly designed mechanic, and Bubba makes it even more problematic due to the way his power works..."

    Why are you literally not just focusing on the above? Why talk about harassment and racism? What purpose do they serve to your argument?


    Does facecamping need to be addressed because it's badly designed, or because people use it in conjunction with harassment?

  • Disclaimer: I’m a baby killer main, so I’m familiar with harassment.

    Right now, facecamping (especially with Bubba) early in the game is a boring but apparently effective way to both harass someone AND play to meet the objective. There are counterplays (do gens, totems, BT), but survivors seem to think that doing gens and totems is “boring.”


    The idea would be to decouple harassment from playing to win, so it’s obvious which is which. The current killer experience isn’t sustainable, so I’d hate to give survivors a free buff, but maybe a global slowdown of gens would balance it out.


    If I were BHVR, and I felt that something needed to be done about early facecamping, I’d consider something like an “adrenaline meter” that goes up based on how close the killer is to the hooked survivor. It would have to be a smooth function so killers can’t easily exploit it. Once fully charged, the survivor would get a free BT, DH, or unhook (still playing with the idea).


    What’s critical is that the speed of this buildup would decrease over the course of the trial, to the point where facecamping during the EGC doesn’t build the meter at all. In some end-game scenarios, facecamping is the only non-give-up option.

  • @Fuzzels said:

    Oh yes, because there's been a whole slew of "face camping" scenarios in real life against various groups of people. Ya know, all these people being aggressively put on meat hooks then stared at for being a specific race. Happens all the time.

    /S

    thats crazy i had no idea there was a man running around with a chainsaw cutting peoples faces off and wearing them in real life

  • @jinx3d said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2737645#Comment_2737645

    thats crazy i had no idea there was a man running around with a chainsaw cutting peoples faces off and wearing them in real life

    You would be surprised.

  • @Clowning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2746117#Comment_2746117

    Because we've progressed so far that being defined by labels is now, once again, considered important and in many online spaces lacking the correct label will ensure that your views are discarded with greater ease.

    Facts 📠

1 2 3 ›