The changes are good, but....
The new changes are cool and all, and good for the game, so I have no complaints against the changes themselves. BUT, it's not really anything that's been asked for... Aside from the solo survivor experience, which I like that it's being looked at and changed, that's good.
But everything else, feels more that resources are being spent on things that nobody asked for. It's like taking your car in for an oil change, And then they come back like, "Well we changed your spark plugs and removed your transmission, please no applause needed."
Like wut?? Lol
No fix for cheaters, no fix for the ddos or any other issues that get talked about daily. I'm not even talking balance wise, just game mechanics. Everyone's like, "I'm tired of just hitting skill checks all match, it's stale gameplay. Can we get something new?"
And they're like, "Glad you said something, cause we're actually reworking struggling to add in more skill checks."
Once again, I do like this change, as I'm sure controller and mouses everywhere are thanking you. But once again it's just putting focus in the wrong areas.
Could you imagine, just imagine, if that effort was put into things people really wanted? Like not having as many cheaters in the game? Or having more things to do than just bones and gens? This game could really outdo itself.
Comments
These things have been asked for. The wiggle thing feels like a follow-up to the struggle mechanic getting changed from button mashing, which was heavily requested.
I actually think BHVR has been trying to address common topics lately - moreso than I've seen in the past. Survivors need a secondary objective = boons. Gens speeds are uncounterable = several recent viable gen delay perks. Solo survivor is way too weak/SWF are overpowered = pending balance changes. We got scourge hooks and boons as new mechanics back to back. Keys just got nerfed and pallet validation fixed 90% of hits through pallets. Whether all of these were answered properly or adequately, probably not (boons........), but "they're not listening at all" doesn't feel fair when we've actually had quite a few hot topics addressed lately.
Jury's out on the hacker epidemic, though. There is no war in Ba Sing Se.
I don't know if anybody asked for the patching speed optimizations, and nobody even knew the Beta tab could be a thing, but the rest are things that have been suggested before (some more often than others).
Also, don't forget this was Part 1 of 2 today. Tomorrow they'll announce more upcoming stuff, including possibly a balance pass on Mikaela and her perks including Boon Circle of Healing. (We're about due to see Mikaela's pass.)
Finally regarding cheaters even if they're working on something to help catch cheaters they probably wouldn't announce it. They'd just implement it in the background and do a ban wave. So just because they didn't say anything doesn't mean they're unaware of the problem or aren't working on it.
literally
there's a part 2
there's more on wednesday after
literally
just
just wait
and read
but mostly wait
i cant
Personally I've wanted/asked for a few of these things
In the past it's actually taken me about 3 hours to download new patches for whatever reason, it's gone down now to about 1-1.5 hours, but that still feels like a long time. I'm personally happy with that upcoming change whenever it happens.
MMR not just filling in the last spot in a lobby with some random for quality timing? Thank god no more rando's that don't know what a generator is that fill in that spot.
A little more information to make solo survivor not feel like a free kill for the killer? THANK YOU
Introducing a new beta window in game so players, even on console, can help test certain aspects of the game that don't need their own ptb? LOVE IT
Wiggling no longer (at some point) destroying my joycons? Honey yes
I'm actually fairly pleased with what their going to introduce and have wanted most, if not all of them.
A few things got improved mostly QOL stuff but nothing of real note at the moment hopefully more comes by soon.
Would be nice if the accessibility options were, you know, optional. I've died more to missing one of the later hook skill checks than I ever did to the old method. Will probably be the same for the wiggle change.
No buts no cuts no coconuts!
Don't announce that you are getting a new anti-cheat as that would give cheaters a headstart on cracking the anti-cheat (Source: Ricochet Anti-Cheat was announced then apparently leaked later, giving cod players a headstart in cracking Ricochet)
Just to add about the patches that there have been occassion discussions made about how long it takes to download the small updates. It's not one of the biggest complaints, but it has been made.
Overall, I think part 1 is a good start, and am looking forward to reading part 2.
A better MMR was asked for too.
My top concerns right now are optimization and cheaters. Hopefully they address these issues in Part 2...
Once again, I'm not saying the changes were bad, in fact I stated they were good changes. But there's larger concerns that have been asked for a lot more and a lot longer, and I feel that focus is in the wrong direction. These are good changes, but they're QOL changes you'd expect after the major concerns have been fixed. And they just haven't.. good changes, but focus is all wrong is what I'm saying.